Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

Johnny Member wrote:

I love the Saints. Always have.

But in modern sport, dudes are hired as professionals - not as club men. He may hate the Saints, Lyon may have gated the Saints - it's irrelevant in modern sport. They're hired to win games and ultimately flags.

It's why Malthouse ends up at Carlton, and why the Cornes brothers played at Port - it's a profession. Simple.

As a professional, which is Watters is paid to be, he is absolutey correct in his assessment of the club. People on here would have bronze statue of Ross Lyon erected at Seaford if they could - for losing two GFs FFS!

I love the Saints, always have. But as a sport in the 21st century, there is surely zero expectation that an incumbent player, coach, administrator shows emotion to the club he's coming in to!

There's a huge chance they spent the best part of their own sporting life hating and trying to demoralise the Saints anyway! Why would that change? They're hired to win. Most wouldn't give a f*** who they're coaching - it's their job.

If you can't respect what Lyon and the rest of the club achieved during that period then I'm afraid you have very little idea of how a club operates and you have an unrealistic expectation
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 16 Sep 2013 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Has this got anything to do with Greg being sacked?

Is finey a friend having a whack back?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:This guys an AFL apologist and flog if the highest

IF you are on radio IF you are coming out making grand statements like Sack Scott Watters Now then do us all a favour (and don't treat Saints fans like idiots) and back up such outlandish claims with at least 1 Fact!!

His main gripe?? Scott Watters said the club accepts mediocrity - sure under Lyon we played well and reached highs BUT the fact remains we still have 1 flag in over 100 years... that's not mediocre that's abysmal!
Ring him up Tef..........I would love to hear that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters stoping Martin coming to St Kilda - GREAT work Scott has anyone heard what Martin has been up to?? Showing up at St Kilda mad Monday 10pm at night 6 days before a final what a twat

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If hanging round TAB's gives credibility I am ready to take over from Demetriou
and Mick McGuane will take over from Fitzpatrick!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
mullet wrote:
gringo wrote:Finey has never been much good at building us up. He is the only fan of the club I have ever seen to bad mouth us at every turn. He publicly bashed Raph constantly, bagged Gilbert whines about our incompetence at attracting sponsors and our running.

He is your classic with friends like these who needs enemy type. he might be a Saints fan but does us no good. it is public destabilisation when we need to attract sponsors and members. What is he going to do but bag the next coach unless he approves.

Toxic person to have spruiking your club is old Finey. His schtick is stirring up people coming home from the footy and working them up so they do their block then telling them they are idiots and hanging up on them.
Got the job because he used to hang around the same TAB as Russell Gilbert.
still does... pretty much nightly.
Maybe thats where he gets his info from

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"This is the depression that St Kilda had to have!"

sigh :(

Majority
Club Player

In his early days on radio, Finey would be positive most of the time about the Saints.
The problem was that he would be hammered on the SMS, and opposition fans would call in and bag him for always talking about St.Kilda.
The truth was that he gave the Saints no more time than other clubs.
But some of the listeners could not see it.

So what did he do?
From my observations he kept the St.Kilda talk to a minimum as the abuse was way over the top.

Maybe he did not go into too much detail as people would once again call SEN, The St.Kilda Entertainment Network.

I believe he should have said nothing at this time.
But saying nothing does not make good radio.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

IF you are on radio IF you are coming out making grand statements like Sack Scott Watters Now then do us all a favour (and don't treat Saints fans like idiots) and back up such outlandish claims with at least 1 Fact!!

His main gripe?? Scott Watters said the club accepts mediocrity - sure under Lyon we played well and reached highs BUT the fact remains we still have 1 flag in over 100 years... that's not mediocre that's abysmal!
Seriously Fireman I wouldn't pee on him - he comes on I turn him off he's an embarrassment IMO

Big statements need facts - put up or shut up and don't use your own club to grand stand

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

He was certainly keeping any facts or corroborating evidence he had to himself, but seemed so adamant in his call that he's as good as put his reputation on it.

Will have zero cred if there's nothing significant to this.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Usually when a club is in turmoil and the coach has lost his players there is an abundance of players wanting out. Unless I'm mistaken I have yet to see that list.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Seriously Fireman I wouldn't pee on him - he comes on I turn him off he's an embarrassment IMO

Big statements need facts - put up or shut up and don't use your own club to grand stand
just ring him....bring him undone.....go on.....
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 16 Sep 2013 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Scott Watters stoping Martin coming to St Kilda - GREAT work Scott has anyone heard what Martin has been up to?? Showing up at St Kilda mad Monday 10pm at night 6 days before a final what a twat
Bingo.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Usually when a club is in turmoil and the coach has lost his players there is an abundance of players wanting out. Unless I'm mistaken I have yet to see that list.
Suggest more a case of sour grapes by some of those being pushed out.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Usually when a club is in turmoil and the coach has lost his players there is an abundance of players wanting out. Unless I'm mistaken I have yet to see that list.
And dont the print media love a negative st kilda story. Yet to read anything either.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

So how many days until he is sacked? I'll say within the week....when there's smoke,we sack coaches,it's what we do

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just feck him is my view

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sounds to me a few older guys who want contract extensions are pissed off that they might have to go somewhere else to get them

Nice and cosy in their life in Melbourne they now may have to pack up and move on (maybe interstate)

Is this disrespecting theiir years of service to club??

Is it their right to receive a further 2-3 year contract extension so they can end their playing days at the Saints??

IMO The club is always bigger than the individual

We are in the business of winning premierships and we are not going to win one with fisher Dal Santo Milne Blake Kosi ...... in the team over the next few years

Their time has passed - they had their chances to win a premiership and didn't

St Kilda is NOT a retirement village for players that nearly won a Premiership

The club no doubt is grateful for their years of service and they have been paid well but now its time to move on

Re: Geelong keeping their Premiership players - firstly their core guys are still playing brilliant footy (ours aren't) and secondly they won 3 Premierships - massive difference Finey

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Scott Watters stoping Martin coming to St Kilda - GREAT work Scott has anyone heard what Martin has been up to?? Showing up at St Kilda mad Monday 10pm at night 6 days before a final what a twat
If certain sections of the club are making moves to recruit Dustin Martin when the coach doesn't want him then it's those sections that should be sacked, not Watters.

And taking umbrage at Watters's "mediocrity" speech is a bit thin-skinned.

Is that all there is to it? God help us if the club becomes a laughing stock all over again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
And dont the print media love a negative st kilda story. Yet to read anything either.
The media thrives on negativity don't feel special about that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Finey makes big statements with no facts and we've all got to "ring him" so he can talk over us with his big volume button

I say again - IF he's got facts - HE made the big statements ... Lets have them, otherwise shut the hell up

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bingo.
Seriously Martins a cabbage let Richmond have him... we are fast approaching a young side ... is he really a player you build around????

Nup

“Yeah….nah””
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane should be copping a bashing for the way they have handled things.

But instead, we have a so called supporter, trying to destabilise St Kilda, cos we hold the Rabble title not Brisbane. Thanks Finey

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is there any saints fans honestly convinced either way on Scott yet?

I have issues with much of what he does, but also like a lot of what he's done as well.

Too early to be decisive.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

See ya later all our new recruits we wee looking at. Bruce might just be shuffling back into the GWS fold and Delaney will want to go to the Dees so he can get a more stable club. See ya Adams, Weller. Don't worry we might be able to attract Shannon Byrnes over now.

Thank Finey.