Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

plugger66 wrote:Some little minor facts. SW isnt a well loved coach by the majority of players. RL was at least liked by the stars but not so much the guys not getting a games as every single coach including SW is. Finey knows less than some here on this board so I wouldnt get carried away with what he says and that is again fact but he has had a strong opinion about this for a while. Completely disagree myself but also we shouldnt extend his contract till later next year.
At its heart a football team is very little different than a school class. Do you remember your irrational resentment towards the teacher, the authority figure telling you what to do..

Bloody teacher, doesn't understand me
god he's so old and ugly
was he ever young
maybe 1000 years ago
think they know everything
Tries to be funny but is sooooooo embarrassing
why can't I do what I want to do
why do I have to do this stupid homework
when am I ever going to use logarithms
its so unfair
everything is so unfair
I hate him soooo much
When I'm older I'm going to eat McDonalds every night
well alternate it up with KFC and pizza, you've got to have a balanced diet
what are these funny feelings when I look at girls
what is this sticky stuff on my sheets
if I throw the ball at her I'll get her attention
Why is she crying, I was just showing her I like her
Girls! They're so weird
Now the teacher has put me in detention
thinks he so tough
when I'm his size I'm gunna punch the s*** out of him
Dumb teacher
Making me learn things, and get smart, and fit into society, and develop my skills, and become a well balanced considerate man...
WHAT A JERK!!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Give us another allegory bluthy!
You have a brave dwarf (Scott) and a court jester ( Finey)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: It seems you are another one with rose coloured glasses that thinks the club and all involved must win without exception. How incredibly unrealistic that is and not to apreciate the effort involved to even get as close as we did indicates how naive you are. people like you need to get involved with grass roots clubs and understand the effort involved, win lose or draw instead of the sterile existance of the AFL fan.
Fair enough it might be unrealistic to expect a Premiership but the matter of fact is - Both the Club and its supporters are desperate for one!!

And despite your insinuations I have been involved in numerous footy clubs at several levels over many years - YES I know how hard it is to win one and how much hard work is needed to get there - unfortunately I never got paid at any of the footy clubs I was involved in let alone paid ridiculously well - Yes I was involved (and still involved) because I love the game

If the players think that they are being hard done by because they are being moved on then I think they need a reality chack and they need to come back to the real world

Pretty sure the players never signed a contract at the start of their careers saying "We guarantee you if you put in some decent years of service and nearly win a
Premiership then we will never move you on" Unfortunately for them the realistic expectation is that the club needs to move forward they need to make some tough decisions if the club want to have another crack at the title in the next decade

I dont reckon that is too hard to understand and I for one - if I was a player and truly loved the club - would never stand in the clubs way and would do everything I could - even it means moving on - to help the club acheive its ultimate goal - Dal Santo said as much himself!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Seriously - what sort of professional radio announcer doesn't learn the basics of annunciation?

Finey; get some elocution lessons you flog. Stop airing your biased bs and spreading bs about the club just coz your mate Milney can't get a job anywhere next year.

As for the so called supporters like WinnersOnly and plugger66 who perpetuate the bs. You blokes have no balls and no integrity

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
I'm with you Con except in your belief that Dal Santo should go. I think he's a good figure to have around the club during a rebuild. Fisher by all means -- and Milne, Kosi, Blake and Gram have already gone. .
I don't think dal should go. Love the dal.
All I've said is I'm open to the idea just in case someone wants to pay something over the odds. Eg a top 10 pick .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Seriously - what sort of professional radio announcer doesn't learn the basics of annunciation?

Finey; get some elocution lessons you flog. Stop airing your biased bs and spreading bs about the club just coz your mate Milney can't get a job anywhere next year.

As for the so called supporters like WinnersOnly and plugger66 who perpetuate the bs. You blokes have no balls and no integrity

What did I say that made wht he said as fact. I actually said he knows probably no more than many on here and also we should keep him next year but then again you have never let fact get in the way of your fiction. Stranger poster with very little idea.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
And you think the club didnt realise how the list was going? Thats what amazes me. its as if it was a shock that the list was stuffed. Everyone should have seen it coming but it was worth the risk. Just ask the players in that era.
AND THE CLUB, players, and supporters had to live with it - Lyon jumped ship quicker than the proverbial four footed mammal.

Seeya
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So who doesn't like Scott ?
Ill have a guess

Milne
Chips
Gram
Kosi
Maybe chips has Armo brainwashed. Dunno . But I don't think Armo liked Lyon as he refused to give him a game and preferred eddy and mcqualter.
BJ (but he loves money and Hirdy )

Who else ?
The only other one who seems down on form is Gwilt. So maybe him but he's been stuffed since he did his knee and the game has passed him by .

Who else ? Monty Roo and Hayes seem ok.
Geary has improved a lot.
And the kids like Scott.
So really we need stop looking for someone to blame and lash out against to sooth our pain .
It's ok to feel pained saints fans.
So close . So so close and now bottom again.
It hurts a lot. We need counselling. All of us.
But don't lash out at the coach because he's the nearest and closest thing .
Some d the players themselves probably guilty of that.
The fact is our list is hollow hollow to the core.
Freo now have 12 to 15 good players ages 25 to 28.
We have 2.

That my friends is the real issue. It will take three ears to rectify this .

Funny how when teams have over 10 good players aged 25 to 28. Hey presto everyone loves the coach.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote: 1 to Finey
MINUS 20 TO THE ST kILDA fOOTBALL CLUB :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it's time to pull up stumps and hand back our licence. 140 years is a pretty good try. But we failed. We have reverted to our 1980s style loser mentality. We will lose our stars and then go on a series of coach sackings. It was all inevitable. It's been an adventure but hopefully the Hobart trouts will do better with our spot.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Some people on here think the almost class if 09 all deserve life time contracts and flower parades and weekly tributes and us fans should meet in the locker room every Saturday for our ritual 20 goal thrashing and toast how good we used to be 5 10 years ago.
Footy waits for no man. Adapt. Rebuild. Or perish.
Now suck it up and give the coach a chance.
Pathetic that Finey wants to remain living in 2009.
Move on . Get therapy and a blanket if you need one. Maybe a dummy. But do it privately.
We rebuilt back in 2000. We can do it again.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote:
Fair enough it might be unrealistic to expect a Premiership but
<snip>
!
No it's not, ask any player and they will tell you it's what they play for -ask Harvey if he would swap his brownlow for the GF medallion, he'd answer in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure if anyone has picked up on the joke here - fireman it's getting stuck into People for being disrespectful - while he is supporting his mate who is being ...disrespectful :?:

Seeya
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Majority wrote:... Maybe he did not go into too much detail as people would once again call SEN, The St.Kilda Entertainment Network.
:shock:

Sainta's Entertainment Network. That's what I want. I'm only interested in hearing about the Saintas!
Buckets wrote: Oh and he doesn't want Martin - well blow me down with a feather how dare he get a say on who is on the playing list. With all the crap this club has been through do we really need a potential time bomb walking into the club for potentially Pick 3? IMO Hell freezes over before that happens.
Great post I reckon Buckets, however I'll just focus on one point.

I really really rate Martin as a football talent and would love him at our club. However, only if he pulls his head in and focuses on being the out and out champion that he could (and should) be.

Cuddles is known for his work with wayward kids. Now we hear Cuddles is not keen on getting Gangsta' boy to the club. That tells me we probably shouldn't chase him (except of course to raise his price for whoever takes him.)
tony74 wrote:Usually when a club is in turmoil and the coach has lost his players there is an abundance of players wanting out. Unless I'm mistaken I have yet to see that list.
I was sitting amongst fellow nutters in the Moorabbin Wing for that wonderful send-off game. I've also got the game downloaded, but have been saving it up for that long drought between seasons.

Seems that I must now watch it sooner though, coz it seems I need to check up-close to confirm my impression from the stands... that the players were playing with spirit and enjoyment...
Devilhead wrote:IMO The club is always bigger than the individual...

St Kilda is NOT a retirement village for players that nearly won a Premiership...

The club no doubt is grateful for their years of service and they have been paid well...

Re: Geelong keeping their Premiership players - their core guys are still playing brilliant footy...
Great post.

I believe we should respect our players. Part of that can be allowing them to move on if they wish to chase big $$$ or a chance at a hollow flag..., even better if we can get some currency. And for those who do so, they should do so with our best wishes, and the knowledge that they are always welcome back.

Retirement village: sadly in so many sports, champions don't seem to know when their time is up. Never easy, either for the player or the club... and hard decisions need to be made, but need to be made thoughtfully and respectfully.

Firey: Whatever Finey knows, pretty much all he offered to back his opinion was not liking some of Cuddle's statements at the B&F. I for one agree with you that we have a club to be proud of, regardless of the (to date) flag count.

We have what the other dullard clubs lack... quirk and character!
Despite all our knockers we are still here after 140 years - and that is the ultimate standard of judgement! (How many flags did the Gorillas win again...?)
Oh, and the flags will come! First one, then with the monkey (gorilla?) off the back, they'll starting racking up. Just need that breakthrough second flag.

So you're probably right Firely, maybe Cuddles could have worded things differently at the B&F.

But Finey needs way more than that to justify his latest little rant IMHO. (Do you know anything more that you could share with your mates?)

K: I agree with your very wise words. The younger blokes are our immediate future, so they are the ones who need to be on the same wavelength as the coach.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If Finey wants to talk about respect for the past maybe he should remember Ross first two years we sucked and we had about 10 top 10 draft picks to play with
It's only Scott's second year and he has no cattle to work with.
Just unreal. Unreal. One tiny comment at a b and f saying the saints had a poor history and Finey craps on about respect for Ross Lyon just because he happens to be playing in a pre lim this week ?
And then out of his ass he pulls Alan Richardson .
What a load of s*** . This is old school saints crap from the 80s. Grow up Finey .

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't know and don't really care.
just wish we'd taken an assistant from Geelong and not collingwood. Seem to have learned a bit more about the caper and not been turned into wankers.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Mark Fine is the most anti-St Kilda supporter I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. If he has the opportunity to stick the boots in to St Kilda, he does. His summary of our games and the team (even in our Grand Final appearance years) were never complimentary and he more often than not has a swipe at the club at any given opportunity. He made a complete tool of himself over the Essendon saga and his comments about Patrick Smith and Caroline Wilson were deplorable. Out and out personal attacks that challenged not one piece of evidence or information presented in any of their articles or reports regarding the Essendon Saga (which they turned out to be pretty much correct about).

All I heard in that brief clip was an opinion that had not much factually to back it up. I can sit here and tell you that I have it on good authority that he is much loved (which I don't, but just because I say it does not make it true or not true - especially if I provide no evidence to back it up).

In regards to Martin, I actually do know for a fact (but won't be divulging the source so make of it what you want as I am not prepared to use names on a public forum to back this up) that he has been on a 24/7 watch on numerous occasions in the recent past to ensure he stays out of trouble and has been in incidents that have never came to light. Same with the Cousins debacle. He had 3 (yes 3) very serious 'slips' during his time at Richmond. A great move by Ross not to recruit him (which if I remember rightly had Finey and many other St Kilda supporters up in arms at the time - myself included). Sometimes you will get this anyway, you can't avoid it, but why in the heck would you go out and put yourself in the firing line deliberately when you are aware of potential issues? You cannot have a player at the club that has the potential to cause serious damage with off field issues. St Kilda supporters should realise this better than anyone after the Lovett debacle. Not every player or club is going to be offered the same level of protection as Franklin and Hawthorn were in Franklins younger 'wilder' days.

In regards to mediocrity, maybe we have accepted defeat far too easily in the past as a supporter base and a club in general. I would prefer to have a few players with their noses out of joint that to go another 60 years without a flag. If you don't like a strong hard line, don't let the door hit you on the way out. If you think for a second that any other coach would allow players to run their club and bend to their whims, you are delusional. There is more angst at Collingwood at the moment than there is at St Kilda. Maybe Finey should have a chat with Harves and get on his high horse about that. Heck, I just wish he would change teams and go support someone else!!

None of our players have been 'disrespected'. All of the retiring players from this year (which were no surprise) were given a magnificent send off. Their time was up, thank you for your service. Time to move on to the next chapter. That next chapter being youth with a blend of still well performing veterans and mature age players to lead the way.

I am a fan of Scott Watters so far (jury is still out though). I like his stance. I saw the same qualities in Ross and was (and still am) a fan of his. Perhaps Ross wanting to leave had more to do with the clubs attitude than purely a financial decision? Makes you wonder.

In summary, I want a tough hard line drawn. I don't want to hear about excuses or temper tantrums. I just want to win. End of story.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Austinnn
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

I love the Saints. Always have.

But in modern sport, dudes are hired as professionals - not as club men. He may hate the Saints, Lyon may have gated the Saints - it's irrelevant in modern sport. They're hired to win games and ultimately flags.

It's why Malthouse ends up at Carlton, and why the Cornes brothers played at Port - it's a profession. Simple.

As a professional, which is Watters is paid to be, he is absolutey correct in his assessment of the club. People on here would have bronze statue of Ross Lyon erected at Seaford if they could - for losing two GFs FFS!

I love the Saints, always have. But as a sport in the 21st century, there is surely zero expectation that an incumbent player, coach, administrator shows emotion to the club he's coming in to!

There's a huge chance they spent the best part of their own sporting life hating and trying to demoralise the Saints anyway! Why would that change? They're hired to win. Most wouldn't give a f*** who they're coaching - it's their job.

If you can't respect what Lyon and the rest of the club achieved during that period then I'm afraid you have very little idea of how a club operates and you have an unrealistic expectation
Sorry but get over it.
You want to feel conforted by the almost?
The fact is we have wine one flag in 120 years.
We are a disgrace of a club.
Hero worshiping and living in the last is a total waste.
I have people here who want to make decisions based on watching the class of 09 have tribute games like that is important .
It's all too hard for some people to rebuild.
Part of our demise is due to the 2004 to 2010 recruitment period .
Some of that falls on Lyon .
So chips isn't happy because the coach doesn't like him getting on the Morton bay bugs with a 22 year old wanna be gangster with no brain. Chips is 31 . Sorry but I take the coaches side. Chips is way out of line and plain stupid if he thinks he's being a cool guy .
So Milne isn't happy ?
Well no s***. He's on rape charges.
What is wrong with people . Get over 09 and 10.
It's over I get no comfort from us being good 4 years ago or 5 years ago.
If people want to vent their hurt at the coach it is moronic .
Suck it up . Take a deep breath. Face up to where we are at and prepare for the rebuild.
Brick by brick.
Ground up.
+1

happy with Watters being unpopularwith players as long as they respect his plan and coaching; if not, he needs to be focusing on the player buy-in to save his job.

Far more concerned at the (possibly bulls***) implication that Pelchen and Watters are not pulling in the same direction. Pelch is very important to our future, want to be reassured that he respects where the coach is coming from; if not, there are big problems that the board needs to address.

I really hope we don't have to change our coach again though, I relish the idea that we might have a period of prosperous stability. I - like a few here it seems - think that Watters is a bit of a Marketing Mr Smooth, but if he gets results I don't mind.

Dunno anything about this Finey bloke, but he truly sounds like a turd. Sad to have people like that in our camp, worse that he's got a voice people listen to. Dude needs to shut his trap Saintswise and focus on stirring s*** in other clubs if he wants to help us out.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A couple of weeks ago we got news that St Kilda was pursuing Dustin Martin with a large contract.

This week we got news that Watters has warned Fisher and Armo to stay away from him.

Is this what's brought the whole matter to a head?

Someone -- Pelchen? -- is trying to recruit a trouble-prone player the coach doesn't want?

God help the club if that's the case. And no wonder Lyon jumped ship.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Mark Fine's main gripes with Watters were:

1. Demanding that the club not recruit Dustin Martin.

2. Not respecting the contribution of older players

Surely, anyone with a brain would be applauding point 1, not criticizing it.

Point 2 appears to relate to Goddard, Fisher, Milne, and Dal Santo. Only the Dal Santo situation has me concerned. Milne had to go. Fisher is hanging around Martin? My God, what more proof do you need to move the guy on. On that topic, I'd be looking hard at Armitage, as well.

Watters's stand on Martin alone indicates to me that he has common sense. Remember, Ross Lyon took on Lovett, ignoring the player's obvious issues. Tell me, which of the two coaches decisions do you respect more?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn and saint75, fine words indeed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint6709
Club Player

SEN now saying Saints going hard for Martin

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That would make Finey happy.

Is it what the Hun are reporting because they just repeat the headlines.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

[quote][Fair enough it might be unrealistic to expect a Premiership but the matter of fact is - Both the Club and its supporters are desperate for one!!
/quote]

But the successful clubs do expect premierships

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Mark Fine's main gripes with Watters were:

1. Demanding that the club not recruit Dustin Martin.

2. Not respecting the contribution of older players

Surely, anyone with a brain would be applauding point 1, not criticizing it.

Point 2 appears to relate to Goddard, Fisher, Milne, and Dal Santo. Only the Dal Santo situation has me concerned. Milne had to go. Fisher is hanging around Martin? My God, what more proof do you need to move the guy on. On that topic, I'd be looking hard at Armitage, as well.

Watters's stand on Martin alone indicates to me that he has common sense. Remember, Ross Lyon took on Lovett, ignoring the player's obvious issues. Tell me, which of the two coaches decisions do you respect more?
Post of the thread

IF Scott Watters isn't liked by a few players meh..,. I was more worried he was a soft touch and lacked some of Lyons ruthlessness ...good on him

IF he stood firm against recruiting Martin he gets a big tick from me - we simy can't afford anymore douche bags

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We did not win a flag in 2009/10

Nor in 2004/5

1997/98..... 1991/92

The fact we hang our hats on unsuccessful seasons is a sign of the psych of a saints supporter
Lucky we have a few good supporters like you who stand strong and refuse to accept mediocrity.

You still haven't told us what it is you do that is different, do you throw tantrums when we lose?

psych of saints supporter - get over yourself mate, we're all the same, we all hate losing… same as every supporter of every club.