Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

I've just finished watching the replay of Footy Classified and I thought personally that Caroline Wilson (and the rest of the panel) were reasonable concerning the Saints and the Richmond footy club re Dustin Martin. I wouldn't have a bar of him at the saints myself.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:One thing sticks out for me. If Watters was disrespecting the guys who put in so much under Ross Lyon so heavily, then why has Lenny Hayes signed on to play again next year? Sounds to me like Lenny (and Rooey for that matter) are on board with Watters.
makes sense to me...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:Is there any saints fans honestly convinced either way on Scott yet?

I have issues with much of what he does, but also like a lot of what he's done as well.

Too early to be decisive.
+1
+1
Impossible to tell with our hollow list. Needs time and and some decent young players to work with. Not a bunch of jaded old guys with big but fragile egos looking for big retirement funds.

But if we are sacking him because of some semantics in a speech that hurt some older players 'feelings' we are a joke of a club and a bunch of soft-c*cks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:Is there any saints fans honestly convinced either way on Scott yet?

I have issues with much of what he does, but also like a lot of what he's done as well.

+1
+1
Impossible to tell with our hollow list. Needs time and and some decent young players to work with. Not a bunch of jaded old guys with big but fragile egos looking for big retirement funds.

But if we are sacking him because of some semantics in a speech that hurt some older players 'feelings' we are a joke of a club and a bunch of soft-c*cks.
I agree with both of the above quotes.

Would like some more evidence before I cast my vote. I feel like I am voting above the line on the Senate voting sheet and about to get the Motor Enthusiast in charge :wink:

Really Mark Fine has made a huge call. Unless he want to lack ALL credibility, he needs to pony up with names and evidence, not fanboi heresay from a few disgruntled ex employees.

Id he mates with greg Hutchinson by any chance?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What's more concerning JB...

Is that players are obviously showing discontent, resentment, whinging, and showing kids that the tail wags the dog.

If Scott is crap, that will be evident in time.

For now, quit complaining, work hard, buy in...and our younger group will learn that anything else gets you nowhere.
+1

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Is that players are obviously showing discontent, resentment, whinging, and showing kids that the tail wags the dog.

For now, quit complaining, work hard, buy in...and our younger group will learn that anything else gets you nowhere.

Do you really think older players not being happy makes the younger players also unhappy?
Yes?

Every workplace I've been at that's the case.

Impressionable.

Kickit
Club Player

Which side of the alleged rift does Pelchen sit.

Last I heard the playing group didn't like Pelchen much ( which is OK , it makes it easier to live with hard decisions if the guy they work with daily is not directly to blame ).

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Of coarse you didn't say it but you are hiding behind snide back biting remarks that you have been seeding on here fairly consistently ever since your third cousin heard from an ex player from the Tony Jewell era that said something to your Dads neighbour.

That have basically been found to be corrrect.
If I said that I know someone that burnt a dwarf I'd be found to be correct too. Just because somebody spreads bitchy comments doesn't give them any credibility.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you really think older players not being happy makes the younger players also unhappy?
Yes?

Impressionable.

Footy is completely different to most work places. Players dont usually talk about any issues with the club except to their best mates at the club so Im doubtful the younger players would even know about anything unless its in the media. And my guess is the younger players not happy are the ones not getting a game as per any club and coach and has nothing to do with certain older players being unhappy.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Aren't there drugs that make you happy? Maybe they could try those ones?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is all this kerfuffle the exact reason why Lyon created the bubble?

Clearly it was his only way of controlling the crazy elements that is our club's DNA

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Garry Ayres is your perfect example of what Ross Lyon could become. Ross Lyon is lauded as the super coach but there are 5 coaches that are in the current system that are better than him based on the fact that they have won a flag since he become a senior AFL coach.

So to answer the earlier question by SainterK, "is anyone convinced either way on SW"? is exactly the same question that should be asked of RL if we are going to boil the debate down to that simplicity. (not having a crack SainterK)...just making a point.

P66 says a similar thing in a different way when he says I will wait until until next year to make a judgement...well DERRRRR!...(now I'm having a crack but only at P66).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Garry Ayres is your perfect example of what Ross Lyon could become. Ross Lyon is lauded as the super coach but there are 5 coaches that are in the current system that are better than him based on the fact that they have won a flag since he become a senior AFL coach.

So to answer the earlier question by SainterK, "is anyone convinced either way on SW"? is exactly the same question that should be asked of RL if we are going to boil the debate down to that simplicity. (not having a crack SainterK)...just making a point.

P66 says a similar thing in a different way when he says I will wait until until next year to make a judgement...well DERRRRR!...(now I'm having a crack but only at P66).

Well Derrr what ever that means why are you then telling us how good SW is now if its obvious we need to wait until next year. You are the one though who did say Rooy and BJ were cancers of the club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It ended in 2010.

It will be 2014 next time the players run out in the RWB.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

+1
Hear hear
If you give the youngens and 'out' or some external excuse they will take that to their own detriment .
We need to re-build brick by brick and young players need to work hard. Look at Jack Steven.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Garry Ayres is your perfect example of what Ross Lyon could become. Ross Lyon is lauded as the super coach but there are 5 coaches that are in the current system that are better than him based on the fact that they have won a flag since he become a senior AFL coach.

Well Derrr what ever that means why are you then telling us how good SW is now if its obvious we need to wait until next year. You are the one though who did say Rooy and BJ were cancers of the club.
hehe!...what a cracker...I always know you've got a weak argument when you pull out that hoary old chestnut.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

hehe!...what a cracker...I always know you've got a weak argument when you pull out that hoary old chestnut.
I think people are getting mixed up with Shane Watson now?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

+1

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As opposed to say its obvious we need to wait until next year but then in the same breath tell us how good SW is going.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It ended in 2010.

It will be 2014 next time the players run out in the RWB.
Correct.

I dont know if Watters is the man to take us to the next flag. I dont know if he is out of his depth currently.

I dont know if the players are not happy.

What I do know is that it seems that every outside person who comes in, is at the Saints for a while and then critisises its santified "culture" is hounded and there are immediate calls for sacking them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

interesting thread....with a few un-notable exceptions...there are some very wise supporters on this forum... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes?

Impressionable.
You really have to learn to make the distinction between the dynamics in a footy club and the dynamics in a workplace (yes, even if that footy club is also a workplace). They are literally worlds apart, trust me...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

my take on it .... footy clubs are a lot like some offices they work in a area of comfort and routine once that changes then there is a settling in period .. some take to the change easily, some fight the change (and usually get moved on), others go with the change but resent the fact the change is happening and be against it until they get used to it ... we have seen this over and over again.... in our most recent history GT is loved by all the players (except Milne), GT gets the arse and we have a fall out (to the point Roo is quoted as looking at options away from st kilda), in comes Lyon word trickles out the players hate him his game plan makes no sence he shuns some guys from the team (Leigh Fisher Goose) eventually Lyon gets buy in we win games the players learn to love him , he walks ... in comes Scotty ...

Chris Pelchen has said when he got to St Kilda his first task was to sort out the SC mess , he mentions that the way the pay scale was set out at St Kilda we had 6 blokes who consumed over 40% of the cap yeah we kept players but we were over paying them to keep them ... his job was then to bring that down , that in its self would make for grumpy players - we also have the issue of rebuilding the list so in the tune guys who under the Ross Lyon rule were "safe" guys who were pretty much walk up starts are suddenly finding themselves playing more VFL finding their names pushed around at trade time and find their roles changing - again makes for grumpy players

in the end Scott was employed to do a job and that was to build the next st kilda premiership team , the club have a long term veiw to this they dont expect a quick climb they know that he and pelch are tasked with replacing once in a generation players- no easy task - to me everyone needs to lower the expectation and just give it time ....

do i think Scotty will coach us to a flag ? prob not history will say he is more likely to be the stepping stone to build the team that someone will take the next step with , but i dont think sacking him will do anything but distable the club and make us look like a joke of a club

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
zebraman
Club Player

Kickit wrote:Which side of the alleged rift does Pelchen sit.

Last I heard the playing group didn't like Pelchen much ( which is OK , it makes it easier to live with hard decisions if the guy they work with daily is not directly to blame ).
In the St Kilda hierarchy setup , doesn't Watters report to Pelchen?..maybe that's part of the alleged problem

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well said st trav
I think the issue is people have unrealistic expectations based on a very simplistic view of footy .
they see some familiar names that they got used to seeing up the top and wonder why with these same names we arent still at the top.
The next point of logic is 'it must be the coach' . Its quite child like.

If there is any criticism for Scott from me is he should have communicated very clearly and so it was easy to understand from day 1 that we were rebuilding and that it will take 3-4 years. He has over-estimated the fans and players ability to work it out for themselves. In reality he should have treated them like babies and gently but clearly lowered their expectations.