Saints Chasing David Myers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Chasing David Myers

Middo wrote:Straight swap - Saad for Myers ..!!!

We have a winner :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Kickit
Club Player

remboy wrote:Just because we talk to a player's manager doesn't automatically mean we are going to trade for him. I think Pelchen would want to know where many out of contract players are at just to cover all bases. This bloke is one of the best at his job. One of the reasons for thismis his attention to detail. I'd be more worried if he didn't know which players were available and who was prepared to change clubs, whether to the Saints or elsewhere.
You'd hate for a deal to fall through at the last moment because we didn't know that a club we were trying to deal with wanted someone like Myers.
I agree. I think the Saints are really shopping around this year. That's not to say that they will draft or trade in a fraction of what they are looking at or talking to. Its about getting a thorough picture about who is available at what price.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Kickit wrote:
remboy wrote:Just because we talk to a player's manager doesn't automatically mean we are going to trade for him. I think Pelchen would want to know where many out of contract players are at just to cover all bases. This bloke is one of the best at his job. One of the reasons for thismis his attention to detail. I'd be more worried if he didn't know which players were available and who was prepared to change clubs, whether to the Saints or elsewhere.
You'd hate for a deal to fall through at the last moment because we didn't know that a club we were trying to deal with wanted someone like Myers.
I agree. I think the Saints are really shopping around this year. That's not to say that they will draft or trade in a fraction of what they are looking at or talking to. Its about getting a thorough picture about who is available at what price.
Agreed I think it is also about driving the players asking prices up at the respective clubs - basically it's making clubs pay more to keep players so that it places pressure on the clubs TPP and forces other players out. Smart business by Mr PELCHEN other clubs have been doing that to us for years it's about time we reciprocated!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Kickit wrote:
Agreed I think it is also about driving the players asking prices up at the respective clubs - basically it's making clubs pay more to keep players so that it places pressure on the clubs TPP and forces other players out. Smart business by Mr PELCHEN other clubs have been doing that to us for years it's about time we reciprocated!

we owe the stain some pain after them stealing bj...payback's a bitch.. :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sainterjo
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote: Agreed I think it is also about driving the players asking prices up at the respective clubs - basically it's making clubs pay more to keep players so that it places pressure on the clubs TPP and forces other players out. Smart business by Mr PELCHEN other clubs have been doing that to us for years it's about time we reciprocated!

Just kicking the myers then? Good. :D

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

A little off topic but would someone like Heppel be worth a third rounder even if he is banned for 2 years?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Good player at a good age. Not easy to pick up players coming into their prime.

I wouldn't be surprised if the afl allows clubs to get out of deals with essendon players who are subsequently banned (or allow them to get compo) such is their disdain for efc right now.
You may be right, suss. You would think the AFLPA would have discussed this with the AFL.

As Josh Bornstein pointed out a while back, AFL player contracts are tripartite - player, club and the AFL. The AFL would have to have something in place, if only to protect players who finish up at E'dope, either via the draft (which E'dope have to trade for) or trade, only to find 27 infraction notices are issued and the joint's screwed.

"Oi, this isn't what I signed up for".

3 way deals might make it interesting......and messy.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the afl allows clubs to get out of deals with essendon players who are subsequently banned (or allow them to get compo) such is their disdain for efc right now.
Can't really reverse a deal if we've given away a draft pick and the Draft's already taken place though. Hard to compensate.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Kickit wrote:I just don't want StKilda to be the team foolish enough to give Essendon a leg up in exchange for a player with a 2 year drug ban.
And even more so after they sold us that lemon Lovett.
I'd be happy to not trade with them at all, even if it meant we missed out on a good player who went elsewhere and who escaped any drug penalty. Could live with that; not neccessarily with the outcome referred to above.
Yes the bummers did a great number on us with a little helpful recommendation from the master K Sheedy. With our poor recruiting and investment in Youth under Rossi piddling away that Pick 16 has probably hurt us a lot in the subsequent years.

No doubt the Essendon hierarchy see the likes of St.Kilda and the Bulldogs of coarse as happy hunting grounds when needed and conveniient places to dump damaged goods while getting a few gold coins in return.

Personally I also hate or rather dread trading with a team that has a colonial attitude towards us - I laughed at the predictable expectation of esseringedon that they should get Dal and more for Myers Priceless..

Wish I knew more about Myers - if he is good and the footy gods are still conscious and interested in human affairs we'll get him for free.
I agree he's not worth tipping Dal out for.
Someone else said now might be a good time to turn the tables on the syringe heads and I agree.
If we can attract a genuine talented player away from Essendon it might make them think twice in future. - just the best players we can attract to St.Kilda thanx.

G O S A I N T S!

If the recruiters reckon he can become something great fot the team then get him.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Still reckon he looks a bit 'danked" if you ask me :(

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the afl allows clubs to get out of deals with essendon players who are subsequently banned (or allow them to get compo) such is their disdain for efc right now.
Can't really reverse a deal if we've given away a draft pick and the Draft's already taken place though. Hard to compensate.
Actually Doc, it was suss who made the statement. But, I tend to agree with him, if only to protect the players who might end up there, only to find infractions notices are issued (which I would reckon would void the tripartite contract).

If a bloke is traded to E'dope in exchange for a player who then gets banned, why couldn't the AFL then simply say to the affected player "do you want to return to your original club, or stay at E'dope" (they could throw in, say, a bit of cap relief if the returning player was going to bust the cap). To compensate the club who finished up with a subsequently banned player, they might do something like offer a compensation pick in the next draft. There's probably a few options. Or, they might just say "stiff, you knew the risks", if the player they sent to E'dope doesn't want to come back.

In the case of players drafted to E'dope, which can only happen if E'dope can trade players to get picks, why couldn't the original draft selection and, ergo, the draftee, just return to who had it before it was traded for a player that later got an infraction notice? Most of the kids drafted don't get a choice who drafts them, anyway.

This is just pure speculation, however. But, as BfUSA said a while back, the AFL will have contingencies in place for whatever happens - like what happens to blokes who've gone to E'dope and they get a team infraction notice? How about a special draft for those who weren't at E'dope when it happened?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Actually Doc, it was suss who made the statement.
Oops :oops:

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: Actually Doc, it was suss who made the statement.
Oops :oops:
No biggie.

oldie60
Club Player

I don't think its a risk. We seem to be getting off track as the club obviously has set a direction it wants to go by getting youth but at the same time mindful that it will still require some players that can go on and play for another 5 to 6 years until all our youngsters develope. Reading about Myers, he broke his wrist and had some hamstring problems but also appeared to be playing out of position.I remember reading similar lines on Tom Lee who appears to be on track to be a good footballer.Of course you would'nt trade a good pick but if you could get him it helps build some depth of senior bodies.

spot on
Club Player

Would be a great pick up. Prefect age to fit our group. Really big bodied midfielder with a huge kick. If we get hit I'd be more inclined to pick up someone like a billings with our pick 3

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

If you go to BigFooty and the Essendon forum - trade talk thread - they are spewin that Myers might go - the majority are saying they would only trade him for a first round draft pick

Essendon supporters rate Myers - reckon he took a huge step up this year and will be quality down the track

Simple fact is some players mature later than others

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are hoping he will be a Josh kennedy type who is starved for opportunity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We are hoping he will be a Josh kennedy type who is starved for opportunity.

He was in about his third year and was staved of chances. Myers is in his 6th year and has many chances. Its right type of build we want but IMO he isnt good enough. He will get a game for us but wont help us up the ladder.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:We are hoping he will be a Josh kennedy type who is starved for opportunity.

He was in about his third year and was staved of chances. Myers is in his 6th year and has many chances. Its right type of build we want but IMO he isnt good enough. He will get a game for us but wont help us up the ladder.
Why then are Essendon supporters up in arms re: him being traded??

Surely their opinions would hold more water given they see Myers play every week

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Surely their opinions would hold more water given they see Myers play every week
They are a pack of f-wits that's why.
They were up in arms at the thought of a Dal Santo - Pears straight swap too. A 3 time AA for a 2nd rate defender that can't crack a game :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes they would but not one rang in on SEN today. maybe they rang another station. By the some people are up in arms on here that Ledger may be delisted and that Walsh was let go.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Devilhead wrote: Why then are Essendon supporters up in arms re: him being traded??

They are a pack of f-wits that's why.
My apologies - can't believe I overlooked this pertinent fact :shock:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote: Why then are Essendon supporters up in arms re: him being traded??

Yes they would but not one rang in on SEN today. maybe they rang another station.

By the some people are up in arms on here that Ledger may be delisted and that Walsh was let go.
Maybe these people too are f-wits as Dragit so diligently pointed out

BTW I didn't realise you had to phone SEN to make your opinions relevant

I must remember to do that next time

gringo
Saintsational Legend

So have you seen much of him Plugger? He looks okay when he plays but his stats up until this year have been ordinary. He looks like he was recruited as a mid and has been played as a back flanker. I back them to have a good look at what sort of player he might become and if they think he's worth a crack going for it.

noob
Club Player

Probably a Stewie Dew type player methinks.