Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

Tks again BFUSA

So from Toms mouth

How anyone can listen to brain dead Fine who is an expert in murdering the English language is beyond me

He doesn't attack the bigger clubs just good old Saints bashing

Flog

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Haven't listened to him since the 2010 Qualifying final when we knocked off the Cats. What a win that was but all he wanted to discuss was the umpiring. Strangely up until the. He refused to discuss umpiring with callers but did on this particular night as he wanted to razz up Cats fans about a particular umpiring decision.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

So I'm going to weigh in without hearing Finey (apart from tonight) and having read none of the previous 19 pages re this issue.

So what is the issue? Players aren't happy with Watters? But he refused to name who and refused to name what they aren't happy about?

- Could it be that someone isn't happy that Dal is being paraded around as trade bait? If so, I'd counter that to say that while Dal has been a super player for us, if it is in our best interests to trade him, loyalty aside, then I guess the best thing for the club is to get some value from him.

- Could it be that he has upset Armo and Chips because they aren't allowed to go overseas with a dead set drop kick? Scotty is taking a stand and doesn't want any negative press and doesn't want our players to get into trouble in the offseason.

- Could it be that he has upset the oldies by telling Milney that he is probably better off retiring now. A young, developing list does not need the distraction of a media crew at training every week.

- Could it be that he has had enough of the off field crap and simply wants to create a new atmosphere in this rebuilding stage - fancy trying to change the culture of a club who has won one premiership despite being around for longer than most clubs. For too long we've been a club full of great individuals, I'm going to get all cliche on you all but a champion team will always beat a team of champions when it comes down to the crunch, so I take it Watters is putting the team first and not playing up to any primadonnas demanding cash which will kill our salary cap - hi BJ!

So tell me, am I way off the mark? I can't see much wrong with what Watters and especially Pelchen is doing.

To me, Finey is sounding like someone who just started barracking for St Kilda since we've been 'moderately successful', and cannot handle the fact that maybe just maybe, RL killed our list simply refuses to accept that St Kilda had to do this rebuild because the list, the salary cap, the club was in a disasterous position two years ago when Watters inherited St Kilda.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:So I'm going to weigh in without hearing Finey (apart from tonight) and having read none of the previous 19 pages re this issue.

So what is the issue? Players aren't happy with Watters? But he refused to name who and refused to name what they aren't happy about?

- Could it be that someone isn't happy that Dal is being paraded around as trade bait? If so, I'd counter that to say that while Dal has been a super player for us, if it is in our best interests to trade him, loyalty aside, then I guess the best thing for the club is to get some value from him.

- Could it be that he has upset Armo and Chips because they aren't allowed to go overseas with a dead set drop kick? Scotty is taking a stand and doesn't want any negative press and doesn't want our players to get into trouble in the offseason.

- Could it be that he has upset the oldies by telling Milney that he is probably better off retiring now. A young, developing list does not need the distraction of a media crew at training every week.

- Could it be that he has had enough of the off field crap and simply wants to create a new atmosphere in this rebuilding stage - fancy trying to change the culture of a club who has won one premiership despite being around for longer than most clubs. For too long we've been a club full of great individuals, I'm going to get all cliche on you all but a champion team will always beat a team of champions when it comes down to the crunch, so I take it Watters is putting the team first and not playing up to any primadonnas demanding cash which will kill our salary cap - hi BJ!

So tell me, am I way off the mark? I can't see much wrong with what Watters and especially Pelchen is doing.

To me, Finey is sounding like someone who just started barracking for St Kilda since we've been 'moderately successful', and cannot handle the fact that maybe just maybe, RL killed our list simply refuses to accept that St Kilda had to do this rebuild because the list, the salary cap, the club was in a disasterous position two years ago when Watters inherited St Kilda.
Eloquent.

+1

Skildir
Club Player

savatage wrote:I'm sure hitler liked Germany too.
Well played.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
its a well written post but my understanding is that some of it isnt true. I believe Ledger isnt happy with the coaching staff but then again neither is Dunnel or a couple of others who arent getting regular games. Some older players are pissed off with how the coach treats them. I havent spoken to Milney but from what i hear i doubting all think SW is amazing to work with. Im Amazed Milney gave him that much of a rap from what i hear.

It is still my opinion that Finey has no inside knowledge of the club but listens to people that may or do have inside knowledge. He would know no more than some on here. Having said that he definately got a few things right.
Re the above:

Ledger - not what he told me personally - he understands his failings

Dunnel - I would not know and he might feel upset at lack of opportunity

Milne - never ever spoke to him so I don't know his thoughts ... Or why exactly he retired

So I am not sure what I wrote was wrong - of course there are exceptions to the generalizations I made regarding the feelings if different sections of the playing group.

Milne and Dal may feel differently to the rest of the oldies

Dunnel may feel a little left behind.

Ledger wants to be a part of our future.

I believe I know Finey's source or at least the originator of the rumours and sack Watters campaign ... The only thing I can say us true is that there might be some minor unhappiness on some levels but at normal levels that you would around most footy clubs.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
defacto
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
its a well written post but my understanding is that some of it isnt true. I believe Ledger isnt happy with the coaching staff but then again neither is Dunnel or a couple of others who arent getting regular games. Some older players are pissed off with how the coach treats them. I havent spoken to Milney but from what i hear i doubting all think SW is amazing to work with. Im Amazed Milney gave him that much of a rap from what i hear.

It is still my opinion that Finey has no inside knowledge of the club but listens to people that may or do have inside knowledge. He would know no more than some on here. Having said that he definately got a few things right.
Re the above:

Ledger - not what he told me personally - he understands his failings

Dunnel - I would not know and he might feel upset at lack of opportunity

Milne - never ever spoke to him so I don't know his thoughts ... Or why exactly he retired

So I am not sure what I wrote was wrong - of course there are exceptions to the generalizations I made regarding the feelings if different sections of the playing group.

Milne and Dal may feel differently to the rest of the oldies

Dunnel may feel a little left behind.

Ledger wants to be a part of our future.

I believe I know Finey's source or at least the originator of the rumours and sack Watters campaign ... The only thing I can say us true is that there might be some minor unhappiness on some levels but at normal levels that you would around most footy clubs.
It's obvious where the source is from. There's a group from the sack watters brigade that all move in the same circles

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Your work is done Finey.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Your work is done Finey.
Only if he was trying to make himself look like an egotistical imbecile ... then yes ... his work is done!!!

You should consider changing your username to "The Fineman" :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Top post St Ick
Finey will brag and big note himself about how many losses he saw in the 80s but he is carrying on like someone with a 5 minute memory and a distorted one at that.
He's all nostalgic and sentimental about a bunch of almost champions and is now seeing the Lyon era through some rose tinted lens.
But I am with you . And I get zero comfort from that period and it is ancient history in my mind . I look at the players for what they offer now and next year . They got respect and reward for what they did 5 years ago 5 years ago. As it should be.

If Fisher and Armo and Milne and Gram are sooking about bad treatment I know whose side I am on .

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Top post St Ick
Finey will brag and big note himself about how many losses he saw in the 80s but he is carrying on like someone with a 5 minute memory and a distorted one at that.
He's all nostalgic and sentimental about a bunch of almost champions and is now seeing the Lyon era through some rose tinted lens.
But I am with you . And I get zero comfort from that period and it is ancient history in my mind . I look at the players for what they offer now and next year . They got respect and reward for what they did 5 years ago 5 years ago. As it should be.

If Fisher and Armo and Milne and Gram are sooking about bad treatment I know whose side I am on .
Too right. Quality clubmen don't bitch and moan. They keep their grievances to themselves for the good of the team. Blokes like Dal. He's even said he's willing to be traded if it's for the good of the team. Another reason, IMHO, why he shouldn't be traded.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Outing himself as a complete fool ?

Yes . Mission accomplished Finey.

He pissed and moaned about Lyon in his second year as well and longed for the glory years of Grant Thomas.
Zero intestinal fortitude and no comprehension of what it takes to rebuild a side from the bottom up brick by brick.
He must think coaches are like magical wizards.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Is he STILL going on with this on air 3 days later? You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!

Hate to see what he would say about St Kilda if he hated them!!!

Just like to point out what a fool you are Mark if you are reading. I remember tuning in one night earlier this year whilst sitting at my son's footy training waiting for him to finish. You launched an all out personal attack that was absolutely deplorable on both Caroline Wilson and Patrick Smith about their calls for James Hird to step down after he KNOWINGLY allowed his players to be injected with god knows what under his coaching reign. Yet you feel the need to call for the sacking of Scott Watters based on what? Hearsay? Do you not see the absolute hypocrisy in this? Or is your ego getting in the way? At least Caroline and Patrick where able to back their stories up with facts (that might I add were proven to be correct) yet you feel that it is OK to call for a coaches head yet not provide one shred of evidence to support your story.

By the way, think you owe Patrick and Caroline an apology for that tirade. You don't have to like them or agree with them, but there is no need to stoop to the level that you did. Many of us are not overjoyed with the articles they write, but they are 99% of the time right on the mark (or not far from it).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yes . Mission accomplished Finey.

He pissed and moaned about Lyon in his second year as well and longed for the glory years of Grant Thomas.
We made a prelim in Ross' second year.
Admittedly, we were smashed in it, but we were a top four team in 2008.
Our season was heading down the toilet until the round 14 game against North on the Gold Coast.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

If only it was, hearing his voice on radio means unfortunately it continues....

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ratings is what all the fuss is about. Simple as that. Don't listen, I've stopped giving the guy any credence.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Ratings is what all the fuss is about. Simple as that. Don't listen, I've stopped giving the guy any credence.
Basically. Commercial radio is very competitive.

It's about entertaining the punters so they keep coming back.

He probably believes what he's saying as well and there's probably some truth in it but he has blown it out of proportion and he's on to a winner so why stop?

He's a turncoat though.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 19 Sep 2013 10:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Ratings is what all the fuss is about. Simple as that. Don't listen, I've stopped giving the guy any credence.
Only problem is potential free agents and their managers are listening, and they would seriously questioning moving to the Saints

I love this club
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've seen this guy's ego get bigger with each passing season. It was interesting to see the thread on big footy about him, and all I can say is that he got a lot of big wraps from Colondud supporters who thought he was a "good bloke". :roll: All I can say is: if you're getting praise from THAT mob Finey, I'd have another look at what I'm doing, and where I'm going wrong! :lol:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I've seen this guy's ego get bigger with each passing season. It was interesting to see the thread on big footy about him, and all I can say is that he got a lot of big wraps from Colondud supporters who thought he was a "good bloke". :roll: All I can say is: if you're getting praise from THAT mob Finey, I'd have another look at what I'm doing, and where I'm going wrong! :lol:
Wise Words young fellow, Wise Words !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Only if he was trying to make himself look like an egotistical imbecile ... then yes ... his work is done!!!

You should consider changing your username to "The Fineman" :twisted:
Gold!

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just to add my bit to any "conspiracy theory"; maybe old Finey wants to see his Sunday morning mate Robert Shaw on the coaching panel at the Saints, along with Alan Richardson? :D

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Just to add my bit to any "conspiracy theory"; maybe old Finey wants to see his Sunday morning mate Robert Shaw on the coaching panel at the Saints, along with Alan Richardson? :D
I'll see your conspiracy theory and then raise you this one;

For the 1st hour each night Mark Fine on SEN tries to compete with Gerard Healy & Dwayne Russell on 3AW. It would be interesting to compare the respective ratings !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What's your schedules like tef & bigred? I think you guys should put together a show with weekly guests including con, gringo, Gaz etc...

That I would tune in for.

Mark 'knob coat' foiyn.. I couldn't give a malcolm blight

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

And there you have it! summed up in a blights tossbag! GOLD! NOW this thread is starting to hit it's straps!!!! GOLD! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: