Fisher staying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Fisher staying

Just saw this on AFL 2014 trade whispers that he is staying put with St Kilda.
Anyone confirm this

Is this old news?

Grrrrr
Club Player

Re: Fisher staying

I think Bains mentioned in his radio interview earlier today that Fisher is staying...

DWOODROW
Club Player

I'm way behind. No worries

:shock:

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Jake Niall suggested the deal looked dead in Satdee's Age. I think Shaw becoming available to GWS might have gone some way to satisfying their need for game reading experience in the back arf.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Jake Niall suggested the deal looked dead in Satdee's Age. I think Shaw becoming available to GWS might have gone some way to satisfying their need for game reading experience in the back arf.
Also Josh Hunt will be available for free, who I think they'll look at.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If Chips is staying and can get out on the paddock, we could end up wiht an embarrasement of riches in the back half with Delaney and Bruce for the key defensive posts.

Reckon young Roberton will relish the chance to go for a gallop. Him and Gilbo would reckon it's Christmas........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

a pity, i was ready to let fisher go. considering his foot problems, off field troubles on occasion.

oh well

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I thought that he was gone. As The Other Thommo said, with Shaw coming in, Fisher may no longer be required.

He is a great general on the backline for us, which will be good for our new backline recruits - assuming we get who we are chasing. Let's hope that he is fully over last season's foot injury.

Scoop
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:I thought that he was gone. As The Other Thommo said, with Shaw coming in, Fisher may no longer be required.

He is a great general on the backline for us, which will be good for our new backline recruits - assuming we get who we are chasing. Let's hope that he is fully over last season's foot injury.
Apparently he is......

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Thanks Scoop. Will get to 200 games next season. His last one??

Hasn't gone too badly for Pick No. 55!

felix
Club Player

Good news if he is staying , we should have learnt our lesson re listening to media crap about problems conserving clubs and players .

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I see Essendon and Adelaide are trying to get Shaun Edwards from GWS. He is in Ireland at the moment. He is 189cm, a 20 yr old def/mid. Maybe we should offer Fisher for him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is probably one of the most underrated players in the last 10 years. He was at his best when he had room to play his role as a floating backman. He was forced to play an undersized KP role and didn't get to show what he could do with the injuries in the last few years.

I rate him higher than Dal as a player and probably in importance to our team in the last decade the highest apart from maybe Rooey. he hopefully can spend the next few years in a role that lets him off the leash.

I guess the off field stuff was over stated. I was already resigned to losing him but I will be extremely happy to have him at the Saints still.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Just saw this on AFL 2014 trade whispers that he is staying put with St Kilda.
Anyone confirm this

Is this old news?
I think the club are still very keen to trade him and that other rouge Armitage as a package deal. I've heard that if nothing comes along that both players will resign and play for the Townsville league in 2014.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I think the club are still very keen to trade him and that other rouge Armitage as a package deal. I've heard that if nothing comes along that both players will resign and play for the Townsville league in 2014.
Nah, it's too hot and dry up there to play footy. Good weather for drinking, though if a sandstorm comes through you could end up with a Dusty Martini :wink:

evo
Club Player

North Melbourne defender Luke Delaney is expected to become a Saint by Tuesday morning.

St Kilda list manager Ameet Bains told Melbourne radio station SEN on Monday morning that the Saints and Kangaroos had engaged in "really strong discussion" on Sunday and that a deal could be brokered as early as Monday afternoon.

Bains also said the Saints' pick No.3 was not on the table "at this stage".

He revealed that some time ago his club had held fruitless talks with Greater Western Sydney over the possibility of trading for the Giants' No.1 pick, but had since "moved on".

GWS has been interested in veteran defender Sam Fisher, but Bains said the 31-year-old would remain a Saint.
The Saints are also hopeful of landing promising Brisbane Lions ruckman Billy Longer, and Bains said any deal was likely to take a few days, given the Lions are demanding "a high price". He didn’t dismiss the possibility of a shuffle of draft picks

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is probably one of the most underrated players in the last 10 years. He was at his best when he had room to play his role as a floating backman. He was forced to play an undersized KP role and didn't get to show what he could do with the injuries in the last few years.

I rate him higher than Dal as a player and probably in importance to our team in the last decade the highest apart from maybe Rooey. he hopefully can spend the next few years in a role that lets him off the leash.

I guess the off field stuff was over stated. I was already resigned to losing him but I will be extremely happy to have him at the Saints still.
Chips also became one of my favourites from the time he won his first B&F. My son still gets No. 25 for his Saints jumper- last one I got was purchased last year.

I don't mind if he stays but would prefer for clubs sake that we get a deal done for Bruce

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:He is probably one of the most underrated players in the last 10 years. He was at his best when he had room to play his role as a floating backman. He was forced to play an undersized KP role and didn't get to show what he could do with the injuries in the last few years.

100% in agreement. He has been a mobile, reliable, sure-kicking, rock in our backline for countless years, and I don't think he is done yet (foot willing).

Go Chips, go the Mighty Saints.

Always loyal
Beekay
SS Life Member

Gringo is right, second most important apart from Roo.

At his peak, an absolute elite player.

Best player for us over the last 10 years?

1. Roo
2. Hayes
3. Fisher
4. Milne
5. Goddard/Dal Santo

Would that be fair?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Gringo is right, second most important apart from Roo.

1. Roo
2. Hayes
3. Fisher
4. Milne
5. Goddard/Dal Santo

Would that be fair?
I would probably have Montagna in there rather than Milne…

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

A fit Sam Fisher playing loose in defence would make us a much stronger team in 2014. Particularly with McEvoy gone his intercept marking in defence would be invaluable (if we're trying to win games, that is).

There's no way that Fisher, Dempster, Delaney, Bruce, Roberton, Gilbert and Gwilt could play in the same 22 though. Especially when we're trying to get games into Newnes, Webster and Wright. Would be bad news for Simpkin and Ray as well.

Grrrrr
Club Player

1. Roo
2. Hayes
3. Fisher
4. Milne
5. Goddard/Dal Santo

Would that be fair?
Fisher's been great for the club but with all this crap about his off field behaviour, you'd be a little anxious of keeping him if any of it was true?

Beekay
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:

1. Roo
2. Hayes
3. Fisher
4. Milne
5. Goddard/Dal Santo

Would that be fair?
I would probably have Montagna in there rather than Milne…
I'd put Monty after Dal and BJ, which is no disrespect.

Milne I just put down to 10 years of kicking a high number of goals. Being a dangerous pest for 10+ years is a fair effort, of which we won't see again any time soon.

I still thought, as a young lad way back when, that Dal was going to be the best of the lot. Remember him brushing off Judd once like he was a peasant. And those kicking skills...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I thought Ball would win multiple brownlows after watching him as a young guy in 04/05.

Unfortunately, Joel Selwood turned out to be the player I was imagining.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fisher was a great player for us. One of the best no doubt. Probably would make the all-time Saints 22 imo.

But the reality is no other club would be interested in him anymore - so reported as 'Fisher is staying' is a better headline than 'GWS not interested in Fisher'.