Fisher staying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fisher staying

mad saint guy wrote:A fit Sam Fisher playing loose in defence would make us a much stronger team in 2014. Particularly with McEvoy gone his intercept marking in defence would be invaluable (if we're trying to win games, that is).

There's no way that Fisher, Dempster, Delaney, Bruce, Roberton, Gilbert and Gwilt could play in the same 22 though. Especially when we're trying to get games into Newnes, Webster and Wright. Would be bad news for Simpkin and Ray as well.

Maybe Ray and Roberton as defensive taggers and Dempster and Gilbert will be used as defensive forwards

:sarcasm:

hope the sarcasm alert worked

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Jackson remains on the list, he'd be the likely still to be groomed in that role?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:A fit Sam Fisher playing loose in defence would make us a much stronger team in 2014. Particularly with McEvoy gone his intercept marking in defence would be invaluable (if we're trying to win games, that is).

There's no way that Fisher, Dempster, Delaney, Bruce, Roberton, Gilbert and Gwilt could play in the same 22 though. Especially when we're trying to get games into Newnes, Webster and Wright. Would be bad news for Simpkin and Ray as well.

Fisher will probably only go around one more time but I would be looking at ways to reinvent my game if I were Simpkin. He's probably capable of playing somewhere else. Dempster probably is only a year behind Fisher. Gwilt might be retained but see more time at Sandy while we transition the old guys out and new guys in. I think Gilbert could genuinely make it as a forward these days. He seemed to improve his contested game and footskills while he was injured.

Newnes was talked about as playing a midfield role and Wright could play anywhere from forward to midfield so could be shifted around. Webster will still probably only be good for half a dozen games in 2014.

It sounds a pretty fair backline with Delaney, Fisher, Roberton, Dempster then a line up of possibles in Bruce, Webster, Gwilt, Ray, Gilbert etc.

Bruce looks like a player but he is probably not going to play 23 games next year. Delaney will if fit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Fisher will probably only go around one more time but I would be looking at ways to reinvent my game if I were Simpkin. He's probably capable of playing somewhere else. Dempster probably is only a year behind Fisher. Gwilt might be retained but see more time at Sandy while we transition the old guys out and new guys in. I think Gilbert could genuinely make it as a forward these days. He seemed to improve his contested game and footskills while he was injured.

Newnes was talked about as playing a midfield role and Wright could play anywhere from forward to midfield so could be shifted around. Webster will still probably only be good for half a dozen games in 2014.

It sounds a pretty fair backline with Delaney, Fisher, Roberton, Dempster then a line up of possibles in Bruce, Webster, Gwilt, Ray, Gilbert etc.

Bruce looks like a player but he is probably not going to play 23 games next year. Delaney will if fit.

What about if he is good enough. he wasnt good enough for North and i dont by this stuff that they had plenty of tall backs. he has played 26 games in 5 years and now you say baring injry he will play 22, not 23, this year. is he really that good or are we that weak? he may have a big body but there is a hell of a lot more to footy than just having a big body. i reckon he may have been delisted if we didnt want him. I have no idea what they have in line for Tom but I cant see where he plays at this stage. Seems to need a lot of injuries or players out of form.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id have Webster and Gilbo in as certainties and gringo I assume you have moved in Geary in to the midfield because otherwise he is also a certainty down back.

I have no idea about Delaney or Bruce - but mentally I'm working on the idea that one of them will be good and one will be ordinary.

Ill take it as an unexpected bonus if they are both good.

Rutts

Does that mean the Bruce deal with GWS is off?

When in doubt ask yourself...what would Robert Harvey do?
sax
Club Player

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Solar
Saintsational Legend

could this be a ploy to perhaps get the deal to favour us? Seemed to be fisher plus pick for bruce, perhaps it will be now fisher for bruce and change of third rounders? Wow all of one place perhaps ;)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bend them over a barrel or leave it....

Pre season draft would suit nicely

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

sax wrote:Seems That GWS aren't giving up!

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/gian ... mhqiodnwgo
Been a great player for us and one of my favourites, but injury prone over the last few years and his body will be lucky to stand up next year for more than 15 games IMHO.

Nice to have but not upset if we trade away for a pick or player we can use.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was due for injury interruption

20+ games in 7 straight years prior....2011 B&F

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

What about if he is good enough. he wasnt good enough for North and i dont by this stuff that they had plenty of tall backs. he has played 26 games in 5 years and now you say baring injry he will play 22, not 23, this year. is he really that good or are we that weak? he may have a big body but there is a hell of a lot more to footy than just having a big body. i reckon he may have been delisted if we didnt want him. I have no idea what they have in line for Tom but I cant see where he plays at this stage. Seems to need a lot of injuries or players out of form.
I think he will be good enough. North were keen for him to stay and wanted him for post Grima who was expected to go this year. Him staying sent luke packing. He has a younger brother that plays 9 kegs heavier than him, Scott Thompson in AA form, Tom Curran in reserve and Lauchie Hansen who can play back and forward to take that spot. He was not seeing opportunity there.

Curren at St Kilda must be crap he was rookied for years before upgrading. Steven was there for ages and pre Scott Watters had only played a handful of games. He must be terrible.
I would say we might have a few mid sized defenders who will struggle to find a spot after this year. I think that he is the only person capable of holding down the FB as Bruce is only a developing player still.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Seems That GWS aren't giving up!

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/gian ... mhqiodnwgo

I hope he does go, I am not so sure that he would be an asset to the saints next year. Next year might be his last, and if not his last he only has 2 years left

Greg T
Club Player

Good for us ,his experience will be much needed next year!

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Scoop
Club Player

They can have Fisher + #41 for Bruce + #20.....!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Scoop wrote:They can have Fisher + #41 for Bruce + #20.....!
Yes Please!

Buckets
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
Scoop wrote:They can have Fisher + #41 for Bruce + #20.....!
Yes Please!

I'll take that. Then:
Trade 25 and Stanley for 14 and Longer......hey I can dream can't I?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
falka
Club Player

If ya get rid of Dal, because you can get something for him

Surely you get rid of fish for Bruce??

How do we get games into Delaney, Bruce, Webster, Wright, Newnes as well as Roberton Gilbert Geary Dempster.

I think most Saints fans would accept losing Fisher more then Dal.

I think it's our only chance of keeping top picks and getting Bruce and Longer.