Reports saints will sign Jolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Reports saints will sign Jolly

Fox sports reporting that St.Kilda will sign Darren Jolly as a delisted free agent. I know the old Fox Sports team is not the most reliable, but if true, it throws up some interesting questions. Does it mean we have to delist another player? What does it mean for the development of Longer and Hickey? Would their senior opportunities be limited by Jolly's presence? And what of the PSD? Is there still an opportunity to grab another player? Interesting times ahead.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reports saints will sign Jolly

White Winmar wrote:Fox sports reporting that St.Kilda will sign Darren Jolly as a delisted free agent. I know the old Fox Sports team is not the most reliable, but if true, it throws up some interesting questions. Does it mean we have to delist another player? What does it mean for the development of Longer and Hickey? Would their senior opportunities be limited by Jolly's presence? And what of the PSD? Is there still an opportunity to grab another player? Interesting times ahead.

As it is without getting Jolly we need to delist a player. Jolly would make it 2 and using the PSD would mean 3. I dont see the need at all for Jolly. Who cares if the young kids get smashed in the ruck or get tired. We have 2 ruckman plus Stanley. They can rest one if they are tired. How does Jollly even play apart from injuries or if he gets first crack then either Hickey or Longer or even both dont play. As for PSD draft dont possibly think they will use it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree. I'd rather see games get put into Hickey and Longer. I think they're both at a stage where they can look after themselves, and that they'll learn what they need to from going up against the best in the competition. As for the PSD, Mav Weller was mentioned a few times on here. Would he improve our list?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope we dont use the PSD, but we feature quite strongly in the rookie draft, which we have not used for a couple of years.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Don't want him on the main list.

Draft him as insurance as a mature age rookie just like collingwood did with Ben Hudson.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We don't need short-term insurance now - I prefer the Longer-term policy

noob
Club Player

I thought we were rebuilding? who cares if someone like Pierce (who is not ready) ends up playing a senior game. We're not going to play finals so it would be stupid recruiting a player for a year to stunt development of a young player. Get him as Ruck coach if they want him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Don't want him on the main list.

Draft him as insurance as a mature age rookie just like collingwood did with Ben Hudson.
Totally agree... Every game that Jolly plays would be less experience for one of Hickey or Longer.

If 50 games is the magic number before mids start hitting their straps, I reckon it would be closer to 100 for ruckmen. With Longer on 9, Hickey 24, we can't afford to waste much time with a 31 YO.

Rookie/coach if he is interested.

luc1966
Club Player

I think u will find if anything will be a mature aged rookie if that's the case I'm in

matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** i hope not....

surely not?

Buckets
SS Life Member

More likely to be Rookied and used as a ruck coach for the younger guys. If not I could see him being picked up by the Dees.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SideshowMilne
Club Player

Given we aren't swimming in cash, and on the other hand have to pay 95% of the cap, it may make more sense to pay jolly under the cap (as a player) rather than outside the cap as a coach.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:Given we aren't swimming in cash, and on the other hand have to pay 95% of the cap, it may make more sense to pay jolly under the cap (as a player) rather than outside the cap as a coach.

But we need to delist a contracted player to get him. That will cost money anyway.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

True good point

saint6709
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SideshowMilne wrote:Given we aren't swimming in cash, and on the other hand have to pay 95% of the cap, it may make more sense to pay jolly under the cap (as a player) rather than outside the cap as a coach.

But we need to delist a contracted player to get him. That will cost money anyway.
I think we can keep paying guys like TDL ( well maybe just TDL !) but delist them and get someone else in - that will give as extra free space again next year if we have someone to spend it on

Was about to start another thread - Is there anyone else we could look at as delisted free agent ??? For me jolly needs to buy a good telly so he can still see that action close up from the comfort of his lounge room

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Before Longer came along I was all for the Jolly idea but I really dont see the point now unless he has genuine coaching ambitions and talent.

Cant see us using the psd.

Is weller better than tdl or dunny ?
Ultimately that is the question.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Not a fan of taking Jolley but if he genuinly wants to mentor the young rucks and is happy to line up in VFL and only be called upon as a last resort (even if his VFL form is good) then I can accept it.

As for Weller - perhaps over rated by people outside the the club .. insiders must think there isnt any more upside.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, this like getting Damian Monkhurst years ago.

NO THANK YOU!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No thanks

Coke head of the highest

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We don't need him now that we've secured Longer. There is a steep learning curve ahead and some hard work before he is rated as a top ruckmen against his peers, but I'm certain we have landed a quality youngster in Longer.

There is no better way to fast track Hickey and Longer and Stanley than to actually play them all in the seniors each week. The question marks will be on whether all 3 can improve enough and be versatile enough to secure a regular spot. Maybe 1 or 2 of these guys won't be able to handle 22 games a year.

Maybe when we line up against some teams that are lacking talls that will also prove impractical...but I want the YOUNG blokes to be given every opportunity...NO TO JOLLY if the deal can be reversed

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

If Longer and Hickey go down id much rather give Lewis Pierce a run in the ruck. He'll be the future and while he might not be 100% ready he'd be better than a noted d**khead like Jolly. We don't need any more of his ilk around the club

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:If Longer and Hickey go down id much rather give Lewis Pierce a run in the ruck. He'll be the future and while he might not be 100% ready he'd be better than a noted d**khead like Jolly. We don't need any more of his ilk around the club

BANG BANG

I dont get why Jolly is a d**khead firstly and secondly I reckon our club along with 17 other clubs would have dickheads playing for them. I dont want him because another ruckman is madness.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

a big no to jolly.....or any other filth player for that matter...don't need them ..or their families....too much bagage imhfo...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Doctor Two
Club Player

alright if we don't get Jolly - who is available as ruck coach?

our lads need development

wally
Club Player

Jolly was offered to stay at Collingwood but told as backup to grundy,they see that as the future
he wanted to be no.1 so decided to leave. Hudson joined as a ruck coach then they decided to put him on the list.
I believe Gardner & King were good for us a couple of years ago but they were taking games from MacEvoy.
I think if Jolly wants to be ruck coach and be no.3 in line ok, no.1 no thanks.
Kreuzer came on quickly because he played games at afl level