Watters on SEN this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters on SEN this morning

wolfpup wrote:dis array

that array

any ray

farren???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scoop
Club Player

stinger wrote:
wolfpup wrote:dis array

that array

any ray

farren???
:D

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Of course he's going to point-blank deny there's any issues. If you expect him to admit to any conflict, you're not really grasping where modern sport is at in regards to conflict and crisis management.

That aside, I understand the issues are resolvable.

It's basically an issue of who is in charge over what. The club has poor communication structures; both men felt they had the final say on certain issues.
But, if there was substance to the adversarial viewpoint, if the review wasn't finished, if he had been given warnings (beyond clarifications), if he was in a precarious position and about to be bulletted before '14 kicks off, would the club have let him go on and speak as freely as those who heard it have indicated?

I think not. They may have sent someone else on, to say nuttin'. But, they didn't. That says as much as what Watters had to say.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It has taken the Club "far too long" to get on the front foot and respond to the enormous amount of criticism about internal problems within the Club - perhaps it has taken time to sort things out.

From what SW said on SEN, it seems that he/they are at last all on the same page. With all of the changes at the Club, let's hope that they can all galvanise around a positive 2014 season !!!

Richter
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Of course he's going to point-blank deny there's any issues. If you expect him to admit to any conflict, you're not really grasping where modern sport is at in regards to conflict and crisis management.

It's basically an issue of who is in charge over what. The club has poor communication structures; both men felt they had the final say on certain issues.

We've charged Pelchen with an awful lot of responsibility, more than normal for AFL clubs. He is planning for the future and doesn't have the results-based pressure Watters does, which means there's been some tension and confusion.

But they'll work it out - they have to. Both are good operators. Watters is a much better coach than people think and Pelchen's list-building record speaks for itself.

I note that the young players on the list have completely bought into Watters' vision. Good signs for the future in that regard.
Excellent, sensible post Ev. I hope you're right.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Watters gave the impression that most of what has been reported is absolutely false.

And some of the other stuff being reported is quite normal for an AFL club.

Richter
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:

But, if there was substance to the adversarial viewpoint, if the review wasn't finished, if he had been given warnings (beyond clarifications), if he was in a precarious position and about to be bulletted before '14 kicks off, would the club have let him go on and speak as freely as those who heard it have indicated?

I think not. They may have sent someone else on, to say nuttin'. But, they didn't. That says as much as what Watters had to say.
Disagree. That's exactly what they would want him to do. Use his strengths (media performance) to paint the club in a better light. It seems clear that he's being given the opportunity to showcase himself over the next 1-6 months in terms of whether or not he deserves an extension to his contract. Let's hope that he grasps that opportunity and continues to do as well as it appears he did this morning.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:

We've charged Pelchen with an awful lot of responsibility, more than normal for AFL clubs. He is planning for the future and doesn't have the results-based pressure Watters does, which means there's been some tension and confusion.

But they'll work it out - they have to. Both are good operators. Watters is a much better coach than people think and Pelchen's list-building record speaks for itself.

I note that the young players on the list have completely bought into Watters' vision. Good signs for the future in that regard.
Excellent, sensible post Ev. I hope you're right.
Me too. There will be some bruised egos and compromises along the way, however.

Time will tell how well each man responds to the compromise (...well, it's mostly Watters who needs to accept the compromise and be ok with it. Test of his ego and if he's "man enough" to accept how his role will work.)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

her own papr has stuck it up her

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2wmzi.html

"Wilson also wrote that Watters' position remained on a precarious basis and there was no certainty he would remain as coach next year.

Speaking on Radio SEN on Friday, Watters said suggestions that his relationship with Pelchen was strained were "almost laughable".

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They just announced they are sacking him on SEN?????????

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:They just announced they are sacking him on SEN?????????
Really.

if thsats the case very poor management by the Saints to allow him on SEN this morning.

Actually if true the club looks absolutely stupid and idiotic, with their denials, and them saying he would be coach next season.

If true the club is pathetic

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:her own papr has stuck it up her

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2wmzi.html

"Wilson also wrote that Watters' position remained on a precarious basis and there was no certainty he would remain as coach next year.

Speaking on Radio SEN on Friday, Watters said suggestions that his relationship with Pelchen was strained were "almost laughable".
Wilson was right, sheet!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

has it been confirmed?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

Disagree. That's exactly what they would want him to do. Use his strengths (media performance) to paint the club in a better light. It seems clear that he's being given the opportunity to showcase himself over the next 1-6 months in terms of whether or not he deserves an extension to his contract. Let's hope that he grasps that opportunity and continues to do as well as it appears he did this morning.
Whether, or not, one interprets this morning's appearance as Watters being given an "opportunity to showcase himself" and ties it to a contract extension, depends on how much credence you attribute to the rumours from the periphery. Apply credence and this morning can be interpreted that way. Apply little credence, or none, and from what people have described of the interview, this morning is seen as clarifying push back from a position that is not precarious.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintly
Saintsational Legend

I have now given in.

The saints are a rabble!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I heard our new coach will be Tim Watson.

It all makes sense given the SEN interview.

Welcome back, Timmy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SEN are Flaming SW as an imbecile according to their sources.

SW according to SEN called re the interview saying he w we learned s cleared to speak even though our media department had said no.

Also they claim SW and Pelch were not on speaking terms even face to face and had to talk via email only.

weird

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Richter
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote: Whether, or not, one interprets this morning's appearance as Watters being given an "opportunity to showcase himself" and ties it to a contract extension, depends on how much credence you attribute to the rumours from the periphery. Apply credence and this morning can be interpreted that way. Apply little credence, or none, and from what people have described of the interview, this morning is seen as clarifying push back from a position that is not precarious.
In hindsight we can see that 'applying credence' was the correct reading of the situation, but it looks like this morning was a last ditch effort from SW to save his job NOT an opportunity given to him by the board... or perhaps was he looking to be pushed???

andrewg
Club Player

This is awkward........:(

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spoke very well. I think he is a keeper.........

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: Whether, or not, one interprets this morning's appearance as Watters being given an "opportunity to showcase himself" and ties it to a contract extension, depends on how much credence you attribute to the rumours from the periphery. Apply credence and this morning can be interpreted that way. Apply little credence, or none, and from what people have described of the interview, this morning is seen as clarifying push back from a position that is not precarious.
In hindsight we can see that 'applying credence' was the correct reading of the situation, but it looks like this morning was a last ditch effort from SW to save his job NOT an opportunity given to him by the board... or perhaps was he looking to be pushed???
Yep, you're right Richter.

In other news, I've just whacked in my application form to join the "High Cynics Club". Once I'd discovered a whole new group of people not to be believed I just had to join. Been hanging on for years but that's clearly been the height of futility. The tide got me in the end - I've conceded.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: In other news, I've just whacked in my application form to join the "High Cynics Club". Once I'd discovered a whole new group of people not to be believed I just had to join. Been hanging on for years but that's clearly been the height of futility. The tide got me in the end - I've conceded.
Me too. Tried to be positive about the club, but this revelation proves that they will tell the supporters anything.

Lance or James??

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:I heard the last half. Not sure if there is an audio up. If there is it is worth listening. From what I heard … If he is a Dead Man Walking, then he's doing an excellent job of:

1. Promoting the Club;
2. Supporting (and not bagging) the Club;
3. Reassuring the Members that we are Not A Rabble.

He was asked point blank about his job and the rumours. When asked if any of the supposed conversations about his imminent demise were true, he said "not one". He said he's just getting on with the job of shaping the list and getting the club back to where the supporters want it to be, and if his contract comes up in January, July or at the end of next season, so be it. When asked about the senior players, he conceded there had been some issues for them in coming to terms with the fact that they were no longer at the top, but named Roo, Joey and Lenny all as examples of players who had also been fantastic with the young kids.

Maher and Watson sounded surprised at the end that had been so forthcoming. They sounded quite candid when they said he had answered all of the "issues" and "rumours".
Well blow me down with a feather.
That feather turned out to have some bite to it......

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Well he isn't going to come out and confirm the issues.

Surely that type of response is to be expected. Doesn't make anything reported not true.

I have no idea what's going on - But I probably take as much out of that as I would with what's been reported.

Voice reason.

Its not difficult to sometimes say "I dont know what I dont know."

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He directly responded to the innuendo and apeculation about him and the club!

Don't have to time to do a full summary just yet - but let's just say I reckon our membership was just boosted by about 5k!

Very impressive and convincing.

I hope those 5k extra members signed before midday!