I'm speechless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm speechless

karnaby wrote:Might this come down to Williams interview being so bad or that he showed enough sign of not being able to fit in with our new(?) structure that they jumped off him (even tho he was presumably favourite) and looked elsewhere. Seeing that the main alternatives appeared to be Kingsley and McPhee maybe they felt that what they already knew of Richardson (from 2011) meant that he was clearly better than those two.

If that's the case and they really didn't want the interviewed candidates then maybe they decided that they'd honoured the 'process' enough, now it was time to go for the last candidate who they had kept in the loop via his manager and a few negotiation later it was 'welcome to Seaford Mr Richardson'

Given the circumstances thats a good enough process for me. Not ideal, but a truckload better than what went on to appoint the 2 coaches prior to RL.
maybe they realized he really didn't want the job and made outlandish requests re his contract hoping we would piss him off...which we did.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
karnaby
Club Player

stinger wrote:
karnaby wrote:Might this come down to Williams interview being so bad or that he showed enough sign of not being able to fit in with our new(?) structure that they jumped off him (even tho he was presumably favourite) and looked elsewhere. Seeing that the main alternatives appeared to be Kingsley and McPhee maybe they felt that what they already knew of Richardson (from 2011) meant that he was clearly better than those two.

If that's the case and they really didn't want the interviewed candidates then maybe they decided that they'd honoured the 'process' enough, now it was time to go for the last candidate who they had kept in the loop via his manager and a few negotiation later it was 'welcome to Seaford Mr Richardson'

Given the circumstances thats a good enough process for me. Not ideal, but a truckload better than what went on to appoint the 2 coaches prior to RL.
maybe they realized he really didn't want the job and made outlandish requests re his contract hoping we would piss him off...which we did.....
Quite possible. It really appeared that the job was his for the asking, if that's true then we can only presume that he shot himself in the foot somehow. Interview, contract or he didn't really want it? It looks like one of those.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

I think we have a winner !

Gershwin
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think it's pretty obvious what happened.... It was a shonky process, no doubt....

Time will tell if their ignoring of process will prove correct
So who is to blame for the engineered shonky process BM or Jaxson?
Summers, Nettlefold, Pelchen, the Board, Thompson, Blake, Harley etc ?

fiik
Clearly you have no contacts, insight or imagination stinger - bit like me.

summertime and the living is easy ........
evo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:Ok I will shut up then.
We are a world class board and administration.
The envy of all other AFL clubs.
Please plugger and kaos give me a break.
Acknowledged that not all current board members have been present for all of these decisions.

So because a couple or a few have the hide to disagree with you you then make up things like the current board is world class and the envy of all other AFL clubs. Cant see many if any who have said that. What makes me laugh is you not once have ever mentioned anything you are now mentioning until we appointed Richardson ahead of Williams. Amazing that one decision has seen you turn on the current board, a board that you are obviously not part of and as much inside info as you may get you obviously wouldnt know exactly what is being discussed by the board because you are hearing it second or third hand and we know how chinese whispers work.
I think Jaxsons might have lost a bit of money and/or credibility with his coach prediction -would explain the tanty and name calling IMHO

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

evo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:Ok I will shut up then.
We are a world class board and administration.
The envy of all other AFL clubs.
Please plugger and kaos give me a break.
Acknowledged that not all current board members have been present for all of these decisions.

So because a couple or a few have the hide to disagree with you you then make up things like the current board is world class and the envy of all other AFL clubs. Cant see many if any who have said that. What makes me laugh is you not once have ever mentioned anything you are now mentioning until we appointed Richardson ahead of Williams. Amazing that one decision has seen you turn on the current board, a board that you are obviously not part of and as much inside info as you may get you obviously wouldnt know exactly what is being discussed by the board because you are hearing it second or third hand and we know how chinese whispers work.
I think Jaxsons might have lost a bit of money and/or credibility with his coach prediction -would explain the tanty and name calling IMHO
How Andrew Thompson and Nathan Burke are still involved in the club is beyond me.

They have been involved in crappy and shonky decision after decision.

Thompson comes across as an attempted corporate-c**k who has somehow become teflon-coated in all of this.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

After all the recent attention jaxsons has received I just hope he dosent end up letting it go to his head and end up........

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree re Thompson and Burke

Sorry but I want more corporate nous than "old favorite son" out of the Saints board and I don't think that balance is right

I think Burke /Thompson could do with a spell and its time we inject some real quality corporate capability in

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
jaxons wrote:
stinger wrote:anyway...according to the saints what actually occured was as follows....

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-11-1 ... -their-man
Stinger you are such a stickler for accuracy.
Then explain this hero...taken from the article you claim as the source of truth;

On Tuesday night Williams was one of only three candidates to have been interviewed, alongside Saints assistants Adam Kingsley and Simon McPhee. Richardson initially declined to be interviewed for the position, but St Kilda was persistent in pursuit of the 48-year-old. He threw his hat into the ring after speaking with Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and chief executive Keith Thomas.

The panel made their recommendation on Monday morning, with the Saints board ratifying the decision shortly after.
I'm confused. The bolded part is not part of the article. Are you saying that the panel recommended Williams on Monday?

If it's true and you are not on the board or on the panel, I'm concerned that you know this. The place seems to leak like a sieve.

And there's no need for name calling on here.
It's in the article that says Monday.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I tend to agree re Thompson and Burke

Sorry but I want more corporate nous than "old favorite son" out of the Saints board and I don't think that balance is right

I think Burke /Thompson could do with a spell and its time we inject some real quality corporate capability in

Thompson is a smart guy. I have a mate who knows him and he rates him very highly. Well educated and connected. Burke is a good balance to him as he has a bit more of the footy player perspective. They are board members but not the main decision makers.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

More than a spell.

In the end, if one is a favoured son but gets the results or is part of making good decisions, so be it. Look at Hawthorn.

On the flipside, Burke has almost always seemed like a swarmy little s*** with an agenda.

Thompson the same.

My little jab aside, what positivity have they been part of?

The non-hire of Lyon?

The hire of Watters?

Nada.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:

Thompson is a smart guy. I have a mate who knows him and he rates him very highly. Well educated and connected. Burke is a good balance to him as he has a bit more of the footy player perspective. They are board members but not the main decision makers.
So if he is such a smart guy, why is he on the board of a football club so soon after retiring without really moving into the 'real world'?

It is similar to politicians that graduate from uni, become a staffer and then become a member of parliament. Where is the experience in...anything?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:
jaxons wrote:

This tantrum is why Teflon

Hardly a tantrum Teflon.
Merely stating facts.
I actually think Richardson might be ok.
I was just aghast at what we did to appoint him and how we went about it.
Seriously I could write a book on the events of the last week and whether we got the right guy or not, the process of achieving it is such a worry and signifies how far behind the rest of the comp we are at administration level.
This is the reason we don't win flags.
Neil Roberts said the same thing in an interview recently.
Whoa a Jax I never said tantrum - I'm with you here and am also seeing signs of less than professional conduct out of this lot

I only pray we got Richardson right - time will tell
I will be glad to see old leather skin and designer jeans Nettlefold go and would like a few additional board members to make way for a fresh injection. It's time.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Im with Redeemer here

I've met plenty of so called "smart corporate" types who are full of BS - I'd like to see Thompson/ Burke now make their way in the corporate world for a few years then judge their efforts - if they deliver success.... welcome back boys!

But right now it reeks of Jo s for the favorite sons and we as a struggling club need more than that

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

stinger wrote:

This is not true.
He wanted the job.
He asked for 5 years in his presentation and then later was content accepting 3 and backing himself in.
No money was discussed ever so that can't have been a factor.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote: So if he is such a smart guy, why is he on the board of a football club so soon after retiring without really moving into the 'real world'?
It is similar to politicians that graduate from uni, become a staffer and then become a member of parliament. Where is the experience in...anything?

working as a stockbroker in the REAL WORLD full time (Nowadays Thompson works in the finance sector, with BGF Equities. He is also on the St Kilda board.)
volounteering as a Board member.... with football experience.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Stinger you are such a stickler for accuracy.
Then explain this hero...taken from the article you claim as the source of truth;

On Tuesday night Williams was one of only three candidates to have been interviewed, alongside Saints assistants Adam Kingsley and Simon McPhee. Richardson initially declined to be interviewed for the position, but St Kilda was persistent in pursuit of the 48-year-old. He threw his hat into the ring after speaking with Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and chief executive Keith Thomas.

The panel made their recommendation on Monday morning, with the Saints board ratifying the decision shortly after.
I'm confused. The bolded part is not part of the article. Are you saying that the panel recommended Williams on Monday?

If it's true and you are not on the board or on the panel, I'm concerned that you know this. The place seems to leak like a sieve.

And there's no need for name calling on here.
It's in the article that says Monday.
My apologies. I'm still concerned with the place leaking like a sieve.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:
The Redeemer wrote: So if he is such a smart guy, why is he on the board of a football club so soon after retiring without really moving into the 'real world'?

working as a stockbroker in the REAL WORLD full time (Nowadays Thompson works in the finance sector, with BGF Equities. He is also on the St Kilda board.)
Wow cool, I work as a Stockbroker too.

I guess I will challenge him for his seat.

jaxons
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:
jaxons wrote:

This tantrum is why Teflon

Hardly a tantrum Teflon.
Merely stating facts.
I actually think Richardson might be ok.
I was just aghast at what we did to appoint him and how we went about it.
Seriously I could write a book on the events of the last week and whether we got the right guy or not, the process of achieving it is such a worry and signifies how far behind the rest of the comp we are at administration level.
This is the reason we don't win flags.
Neil Roberts said the same thing in an interview recently

Whoa a Jax I never said tantrum - I'm with you here and am also seeing signs of less than professional conduct out of this lot

I only pray we got Richardson right - time will tell
I will be glad to see old leather skin and designer jeans Nettlefold go and would like a few additional board members to make way for a fresh injection. It's time.
No worries Teflon.
Look I know we all want to believe in the club and all love the Saints.
But some of you need to realize that sometimes individuals within our beloved club don't always conduct themselves in the appropriate manner.
These are just facts.
Once again I have nothing against Richardson being chosen over Choco.
And I can guarantee that I had no money riding on it nor I am upset about telling you Choco and it turned out wrong.
It wasn't wrong the day I wrote it when Watters was sacked.
Circumstances changed and we all move on.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Burke adds very little to the board. Served a purpose back when he was first put on...but the role is beyond him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Jax

Appreciate the views and agree its all borne out if the frustration of wanting this club to deliver the ultimate and not delivering on it

Boards are just people. Management just people the few times Ived worked with inspiring people, the whole team around them thrived. That perfect storm ain't common.

I look forward to a day when on field and off align.... and we show our true ability as a club

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
stinger wrote:

I think we have a winner !
:wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
stinger wrote:

This is not true.
He wanted the job.
He asked for 5 years in his presentation and then later was content accepting 3 and backing himself in.
No money was discussed ever so that can't have been a factor.
not according to my sources... :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

thanksfor that saintbrat..i don't know where these posters get their ideas from.....old mad comics it would seem......what do they think board members of footy clubs get paid ffs....????

supersaints
Club Player

Unless someone in this post was actually at the interviews it's all pure speculation

It seems that everyone was happy when we supposedly had a bulls*** "process" and Choco was already over the line.

The clubs stance is that this was never the case ,

Maybe.. Just maybe Adam was reluctant to interview and I for one can understand why, When his manager informed him that
The club was deadly serious and he was a very good chance to get the gig due to how close he was on previous interviews, he had a chat with Hinkley who has said that he should go for it, it's what he always wanted and he may never get another chance..... speculation on my part But the outcome possibly points that Choco was always going to end up behind Adam when the process was completed.

IMO since the new Prez has stepped in we have moved swiftly, putting the club first regardless of what other teams and the media think.

The is the way the big boys act,

If we want to become one of the Big boys then we need to start acting as they would... I thnk all the signs are saying this is where we are at

I think sacking a coach after the trading period was smart, I think that appointing Adam was even smarter. The new coach has a lot to prove, a lot to work with , and carries no baggage like Choco,

If the club really wanted Choco they would have got him.... Sorry but he was second choice at best.

I for one was quite excited when AR was appointed , I also think we should be pleased with the board, once we get a really good CEO we will also make giant strides

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!