Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

No Devilhead....

Get over your little vendetta .... You come across like a fkn sook....

His whole family have played or still are... And they're all tough as guts....

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No Devilhead....

Get over your little vendetta .... You come across like a fkn sook....

His whole family have played or still are... And they're all tough as guts....
I'm not the one who is having a sook

BTW no vendetta - have just called you out on a few things where I think you have been wrong - have actually agreed with you in the past ie: Cripps dogging a few contests

The fact you have not replied to some of my comments confirms I was probably correct on calling you out on those occasions

Anyway glad to hear that you are certain that Weller is a physical toughnut ...... the fact that GC moved him out says to me that he is probably lacks mental toughness because from all accounts he has the skills to make it.

I guess we will see .......

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I forgot about Tsitis who has elite endurance and great skills, could he be the player who we rate as a top 30 talent? If so, we 'might' have a free shot at whoever we think deserves a spot on our list, the 2013 Sam Colquhoun. Only Melbourne stand between us and another top 30 player if we think he deserves a spot.

I think it would be out of Templeton, Tsitis & Battersby. As for the rookie draft, Miles, Webster, Weller, Hourigan, Thorp, plenty of potential... Man I wish we'd got our hands on Langdon though! Bloody filth...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
RW&B
Club Player

Re: Rookie Draft 28/11/13 - Official discussion thread

ace wrote:It is rare that a player who wins All Australian at the U/18s state carnival misses out on being drafted.
I remember there was a South Australian AA who missed out but got picked up in either the pre season or rookie drafts but eventually proved a failure - name eludes me.

Panos.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
sax
Club Player

RW&B wrote:
ace wrote:It is rare that a player who wins All Australian at the U/18s state carnival misses out on being drafted.
I remember there was a South Australian AA who missed out but got picked up in either the pre season or rookie drafts but eventually proved a failure - name eludes me.

Panos.
Last year. Port picked up Sam Colquhon in the PSD. He was SA's MVP last year & an All Australian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Colquhoun

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
RW&B
Club Player

sax wrote:
RW&B wrote:

Panos.
Last year. Port picked up Sam Colquhon in the PSD. He was SA's MVP last year & an All Australian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Colquhoun
Ace was talking about a player who "eventually proved a failure". Colquhon played a handful of games in 2013 and was upgraded to Ports primary list on Thursday.

I think he was referring to Matthew Panos who was selected at full forward in the 2009 U18 All Australian team and was rated in the top 20 in numerous phantom drafts but was only rookied by the Dogs before being delisted without a senior game.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would like to think we rookie someone like Willie Riolli. A bit tubby, but full of talent. Kicked five in their grand final. Could be our next Milney.

He is exciting but so unfit. Weller most likely to be a rookie.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think Rob Eddy was U18's All Australian.

My first thought with these highly rated guys who dont get picked up is attitude problems, but that didn't seem to be the case with him.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Weller and a kid called Eli Templeton, I can't believe his name wasn't called last Thursday night.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Hope we get weller and webster's little bro

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Eli templeten

Club: Burnie Dockers
D.O.B.: 19.8.1995
Height: 182cm
Weight: 75kg
Position: Medium Defender/Midfielder
Plays Like: Dyson Heppell

The biggest shock on draft night came in the way of Eli Templeton being overlooked altogether, but looms as one of the first set to go in the preseason or rookie draft. Perhaps the cleanest hands going around, Eli Templeton has had a terrific year playing for Burnie in the TSL, and capped off an impressive National Championships for Tasmania. With his long blonde hair, Templeton is elusive and nimble who rarely fumbles and always makes good decisions with the ball. Templeton has shown this year that he’s more than willing to crack in and put his head over the ball, which was probably the only whack on him coming into the 2013 season – given he was largely an outside player. The big tick for Templeton is that he is versatile enough to play an array of positions; his strength overhead and clean kick skills off half back present him as a weapon, yet his run and dash through the midfield and pushing forward makes him a bit of an x-factor. Templeton has a big tank, but doesn’t have that line-breaking speed that gives him the hurt factor; nonetheless, he’s a serious talent.
Last edited by MC Gusto on Mon 25 Nov 2013 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Zac Webster

Club: Glenorchy
D.O.B: 11.8.1995
Height: 180cm
Weight: 72kg
Position: Medium Midfielder
Plays Like: Jordan Lewis

The younger brother of St Kilda’s Jimmy, Zac is a “bull in a china shop” – what you see is what you get, whilst Jimmy is polished and clean-cut. Webster is hard at it, uncompromising, ferocious; tenacious he attacks the ball as if the game is on the line, and is always willing to cop a big hit, for the sake of the team. Put simply, Webster is an inspirational player; his peers respect him for his leadership, his physical and combative style of play. He is accountable, reliable, his football is infectious and it is for these reasons, the underlining talent in the youngest of the Webster brothers is so prolific – he demands respect. His eye-catching mop of hair for one draws instant attention, but Webster is no pretty boy. His bone-crunch tackles, big hip-and-shoulders dispose of any pre-judgement fans might have on the Glenorchy talent. As for Webster’s versatility, he has it in spades and has quite a polished kick away from the stoppages and in congestion.

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

With an array of talent overlooked during the National Draft, plenty of clubs have opted to utilize shorter playing lists of 39 or 39 players instead of the traditional 40 – which would then include four rookie listed players. However, with the draft lacking in top end talent, there is a surplus of raw, undeveloped yet natural talent heading into the rookie draft that with time and extra development, could turn out to be some of the stars of the of class 2013.

With clubs opting for decreased primary lists, it opens up up to six rookie spots up for grabs in this Thursday’s rookie draft. In 2013 for example, Collingwood lead the way with just 39 senior listed players, allowing it to list six rookies – of which they added mature age players Sam Dwyer, Adam Oxley, Jack Frost and Kyle Martin to their list.

The benefit of having a decreased primary list is more for salary cap purposes, as the wage between a rookie and a freshly drafted player on to the senior list is quite different. There is also the factor that some clubs would prefer to rookie list some “speculative” or perhaps “undeveloped” players who are considered to be boom or bust picks, with just the one-year contract on offer.

The other benefit for clubs, is that they can also “nominate” up to two rookies, who can play senior football throughout the year without the need of a veteran or long term injury. The Pies utilized this by nominating Ben Hudson and Sam Dwyer, who were able to play senior games, without the need to be upgraded.

Included in the rookie draft guide, are under 18 players and state league players – not those of which have been delisted by AFL clubs in 2013. With the rookie draft looming – here are some of the most sought after talent who could find their way onto a club list, after initially being overlooked at last Thursday’s draft.

Please Note: The order of the Preseason draft will be released on Tuesday 26th in the afternoon, as clubs finalize their lists ahead of the 2pm deadline for the second list lodgement today.

Follow me on twitter @Paigeos_Hotpies

TALL FORWARDS:
Cameron Conlon

Club: Northern Knights
D.O.B.: 3.7.1995
Height: 198cm
Weight: 87kg
Position: Tall Forward/Ruck
Plays Like: Kurt Tippett

Cameron Conlon has been smacked about with injuries for the past 18 months, but prior to his knee and shoulder complaints, was earmarked as a first round selection, meaning should Conlon find his way to a club on Wednesday, the club that lands him will have a gem on their hands should they be able to manage his body. In terms of upside – there is no other player with more than Cameron Conlon.Conlon is best described as a Kurt Tippett type, in that he is a quick, leaping key forward who also offers the ability to play in the ruck. Conlon is blessed with athleticism, endurance and one of the best leaps in the draft. He flies over his opponents, whether in the ruck or up forward, and is a constant threat in the air – where his marking ability is more than elite. Conlon is very much a development prospect from here, but his upside far outweighs an untimely run of injuries towards the back end of his junior career. He’s currently 100% fit, it’s more about re-strengthening muscles and getting some conditioning into his body. Currently training down at the Norther Blues, Conlon should be cherry ripe to attack preseason.

Who’s Looking? Collingwood have had the most interest in Conlon and were fancied to taking him in the draft before other prospects the Pies did not anticipate were available. The interest would almost be ramped up now by other prospective clubs who’d happily take a rookie punt with Conlon with not much to lose.

Darcy Hourigan

Club: South Adelaide
D.O.B.: 18.9.1995
Height: 190cm
Weight: 92kg
Position: Key Forward
Plays Like: Tim Membry/Jack Darling

An absolute man mountain, Darcy Hourigan still needs to work on his tank to make himself a bit more versatile at the next level – given he’ll struggle to hold down a key forward position at 190cms. Given Hourigan has dominated throughout his junior career as he has been much bigger than boys his own age, there are some concerns he’ll be found out at the next level above as he didn’t play any league games in the SANFL this year, playing just Colts football. Hourigan is a development prospect, despite being one of the better key forwards at the Nationals this year, he will need to lean down and perhaps offer the ability to play in defence – which he has shown glimpses of over the past few years, to make him versatile enough for the modern game. Uncompromising in the air, physical, hard, courageous and just knows how to kick bags of goals, Hourigan is an elite marker above his head, and possess a brilliant left foot. I do see him as a carbon copy of Tim Membry in 2012, in that he is physically advanced that most his age, and can really put a stranglehold on games, but really struggles when forced to play higher afield which is where his tank really needs to develop.

Dallas Willsmore

Club: North Ballarat Rebels/Walpeup Underbool
D.O.B.: 29.5.1995
Height: 190cm
Weight: 81kg
Plays Like: Jack Gunston

Another forward who still needs a bit of development, Dallas Willsmore is a big country lad, and has been playing senior football since he was just 14 years old! Playing as a co-captain of the North Ballarat Rebels, Willsmore is an imposing figure up forward and his contested marking is something that has been strongly spoken about. Although a bit in the shape of a Chris Dawes, Willsmore has an uncanny ability to rove a ball off the half-volley, and play on as if he were a medium sized forward – showing off his agility and athleticism. Given Willsmore stands at 190cms, he’ll have to really develop himself as a forward/midfielder or at least offer the ability to switch back into defence as is his awkward height, but he roves the ball fantastically well at ground level and has an uncanny knack to change directions quickly, showing off his deceptive, agile physique.

Mitch Thorp

Club: South Launceston
D.O.B: 25.12.1988
Height: 194cm
Weight: 94kg
Plays Like: Mitch Clark

Mitch Thorp – who was famously selected at pick 6 for Hawthorn in the 2006 draf, is perhaps better known for being the player rated higher than Joel Selwood, and later dumped by the Hawks after a few senior games. Nonetheless, since captain/coaching South Launceston to a premiership this year in the TSL, as well as taking home the league’s best and fairest, Mitch Thorp – now 24 is a different man and player since being drafted. A gun forward capable of winning games off his own boot, Thorp has a big aerobic base and offers the ability to take big pack marks as well as be agile enough to roam a ground-level ball and find his way through to goal. There are some initial thoughts on Thorp, those being that it might be a case of a “big fish in a small pond”, which probably underlines the TSL competition in itself. Some recruiters believe they want to see Thorp play a season in the VFL to get a gauge on just how good he could be, but the jury still seems to be out on Thorp and whether or not he will get his opportunity this year.

Who’s Looking? The Western Bulldogs, Carlton and Fremantle were the clubs that had shown interest in Cain in the lead up to the draft, but the Bulldogs and Blues have reportedly put a line through his name.

SMALL MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS/DEFENDERS
Dwayne Wilson

Club: Sturt
D.O.B.: 17.1.1995
Height: 178cm
Position: Small Midfielder
Plays Like: Travis Varcoe

Talk about an injection of speed, Dwayne Wilson is a small midfielder who is lightening quick. Wilson is a terrific outside player, and uses his running game and agility to his advantage whenever at all possible. The explosive winger has made the move up the ground this year, after playing predominately as a small forward, it’s in this that his versatility has made him a hot prospect. Wilson also is a prolific ball accumulator – along with his bag of tricks, he racks up big amounts of the ball, and his distribution by foot is the underpinning reason why he is so highly fancied. An elite kick, brilliant below his knees and clean in the air, Wilson adds serious speed and flexibility, however his inconsistency and poor endurance base and application will need to be worked on, and developed . Wilson does need to work on his effort over four quarters as he does tend to drift in and out of games quite often, with his best and his worst currently well apart, but the AFL-AIS Graduate has plenty of upside if he can land in the right environment.

Michael Gibbons

Club: Murray Bushrangers
D.O.B: 15.5.1995
Height: 175cms
Weight: 71kgs
Position: Medium Inside/Outside Midfielder
Plays Like: Brandon Ellis

I absolutely love “Gibbo”! Captain of the Murray Bushrangers this year, Michael Gibbons has progressed through the junior system with ease, collecting plenty of accolades along the way, and continuing that through the under 18 system this year – notably for the Bushrangers, whilst standing out across all 5 games for the Rams at the Nationals. One of the most underrated players in this year’s draft intake, Gibbons has played senior NEAFL this year and really impressed on-lookers for his clean skills and his ability to excel at the stoppages. A hard-nosed on-baller who’s often making some bone crunching tackles or is at the bottom of packs, Gibbons finds the ball with ease and gets to plenty of contests due to his fantastic endurance and aerobic capacity, often looming large at the disposal count at the end of most games, the ball just tends to find him. The knock on Gibbons comes in the way of his height, but also his kicking efficiency.

Aaron Christensen

Club: Geelong Falcons
D.O.B: 9.4.1995
Height: 174cms
Weight: 66kgs
Position: Small Forward
Plays Like: Michael Walters

Aaron Christensen – the cheeky younger brother of Geelong’s Allen is a serious chance of making his way onto a clubs rookie list on Wednesday. Although Christensen didn’t play any representative football for Vic Country this year, he toiled away at TAC Cup level for the Falcons and was named in their best several times, and despite carrying an injury for most the year, kicked 10 goals across 8 games including bags of three on two occasions. When fit and firing, Christensen is a dangerous small forward who feasts on the ground ball, and has an innate ability to kick goals from all angles and set up goals with his constant harassment, demonstrating speed and agility, yet a solid defensive side that coaches really rate. Christensen will need to add some more muscle to his slight frame, and will be managed given he had an injury interrupted season.

Who’s Looking? North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs like the look of Christensen, but could he join his brother at Geelong?

Charlie Cameron

Club: Swan Districts
D.O.B: 5.7.1994
Height: 183cms
Weight: 72kgs
Position: Small Forward
Plays Like: Eddie Betts

With a few clubs looking to draft a small forward, one might find a diamond in the rough late with 19 year-old, Charlie Cameron. Cameron is physical and unforgiving and really prides himself on his high work rate and defensive pressure and one percenters that otherwise don’t count on the stats sheet. Cameron is best described as bull-at-a-gate small forward, he pounces on anything that hits the deck and loves to set upon the ball carrier, wrapping him up in a hard tackle or doing enough to force the ball out of his possession to put his team into attack. What you get with Cameron is a player who really gives multiple efforts, yet makes the most of his opportunities when they arise. Cameron is quick, clean and can sink goals from the tightest of angles.

Who’s looking? The Eagles were mooted to have a fair bit of interested in Cameron, especially given how low their small forward stocks are at the moment.

Ben Cavarra

Club: Eastern Rangers
D.O.B: 20/12/1995
Height: 173cms
Weight: 69kgs
Position: Small Midfielder
Plays like: Jarryd Blair

Pint-sized sized Ben Cavarra has had a stellar year at the Eastern Ranges, and although he may be lacking in height, he makes up for it in his immense speed, agility and toughness in close at the coal-face. To understand how Cavarra plays, you must witness his abilities. He is a prolific ball winner, has beautiful clean hands, and when in possession he just makes things happen. Cavarra knows when he’s hot, and when he’s out – that being, in close his awareness and vision is elite, being able to dish out a quick handball to a player running by or floating outside of the pack, and on the flip side – Cavarra can sum up traffic quite well, and often loves to put the afterburners on, taking on the game and bollocking forward, putting his team to advantage. Not too dissimilar to the Western Bulldogs’ Nathan Hrovat, Cavarra is all class, and is blessed with leadership – underlined with the Ranges’ captaincy in 2013. Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of Cavarra, is that although his height and weight may look as though it counts against him, more often than not Cavarra is strong enough to evade would-be tacklers, often fending off, side-stepping or using his low center of gravity to shack a tackle and power through traffic with the ball in hand, and setting up forward of center. He is brave, and with lightening quick speed, agility, grunt and a lot of mongrel about him, Cavarra has all the traits to become a fan favorite. The only issue for his new club, is figuring out where he is best suited to play; a tough, courageous, inside ball-extractor – or an outside, line-breaking speedster capable of some exciting things. Will need to work on his disposal efficiency and could do with adding a bit more muscle to his light frame. Was utilized off half back at times for Vic Metro, too.

James Battersby

Club: Sturt
D.O.B.: 7.11.1995
Height: 177cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Small outside/inside midfielder
Plays Like: Brent Harvey

Another shock at the draft came when James Battersby went entirely overlooked, shocking most – but none more so than South Australian’s. One of very few players in this year’s draft crop who has spent the entire season playing senior football, Battersby is only 177cms, however his hardness and ferocity and elite disposal had some recruiters thinking he might go somewhere in the second round. Nonetheless, Battersby is blessed with composure, a high footy IQ and brilliant poise in traffic. A big time ball winner, whose disposal is ranked in the top 1% of this year’s draft crop, finishing with an unheard of 88% disposal efficiency is just the type of clean ball user a variety of clubs would be after. Battersby offers plenty of zip, bash and crash and wears his heart on his sleeve. The big, big tick here for Battersby – is that he has spent the year playing senior SANFL football for Sturt, something most potential draftees his age haven’t done. He has a match-hardened body since playing with and against men all year, and although the knock has come on his height – given so many other similarly sized players this year, he should find a home on Wednesday.

Sam Heavyside

Club: Bendigo Pioneers
D.O.B: 9.7.1994
Height: 177cms
Weight: 73kgs
Position: Small midfielder/defender/forward

Overlooked in 2012 due to a broken foot that cruelly cut short his draft hopes, Sam Heavyside returned to the Pioneers in 2013 and did so with a bullet. The fierce on-baller has an combative approach to his football, and he cracks into contests and put his head over the ball and more often than not comes out with it. The high productive midfielder has been with the Pioneers for a while now; he was a bottom-aged club champion in 2011, and was set to be drafted with high expectations in 2012 before a broken foot derailed his draft hopes. However, since returning in 2013 – Heavyside has gone one better this year. Heavyside collected 40+ disposals on three occasions in 2014, and went on to break the 30 barrier 10 times as well. The ball magnet has his running patterns down pat, he works the inside ball naturally, but his outside abilities where he can show off his speed and big endurance base and ability to hit the scoreboard, however his disposal could do with a bit of tidying up. Heavyside has a number of attributes that make him a hot prospect; his overhead marking for one around the ground is elite, he has naturally sticky hands, and for a small player – he competes well in the air. But it’s at the stoppages where he thrives; his quick hands, vision and awareness and his tackling game rank in the elite. Heavyside finished with a whopping average of 8 tackles per game, and 30 disposals. His best came against top of the ladder Geelong Falcons, kicking 4 goals as well as enjoying 31 disposals and three marks. Although Heavyside’s efficiency is what is really in the way between he and a beckoning AFL career, he’s really firming as a development rookie.

MEDIUM MIDFIELDERS
Nick Bourke

D.O.B.: 22.2.1995
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Medium Midfielder/Utility
Plays Like: Scott Thompson

Big bodied Nick Bourke offers a lot of variety in the way that he plays. Bourke has elite athleticism which means he is a constant struggle to match up on for opposition teams. Playing largely as a wingman in 2013, Bourke is a brilliant kick of the footy, and his strong body means he can often iron out any would-be tackler, thanks to a strong build and centre of gravity which sees him rarely tackled. I love his physical brand of football, coupled with brilliant disposal and a whopping kick, Bourke also has a solid running game and could be utilized off a back or forward flank. Although he had his injury issues during the year with a few injuries and some inconsistencies in his game, Bourke is a coaches favorite who with further development could really take his game to another level.

Zac Webster

Club: Glenorchy
D.O.B: 11.8.1995
Weight: 72kg
Plays Like: Jordan Lewis

The younger brother of St Kilda’s Jimmy, Zac is a “bull in a china shop” – what you see is what you get, whilst Jimmy is polished and clean-cut. Webster is hard at it, uncompromising, ferocious; tenacious he attacks the ball as if the game is on the line, and is always willing to cop a big hit, for the sake of the team. Put simply, Webster is an inspirational player; his peers respect him for his leadership, his physical and combative style of play. He is accountable, reliable, his football is infectious and it is for these reasons, the underlining talent in the youngest of the Webster brothers is so prolific – he demands respect. His eye-catching mop of hair for one draws instant attention, but Webster is no pretty boy. His bone-crunch tackles, big hip-and-shoulders dispose of any pre-judgement fans might have on the Glenorchy talent. As for Webster’s versatility, he has it in spades and has quite a polished kick away from the stoppages and in congestion.

Who’s Looking? The biggest murmurs seem to come from the club Webster would love to join, that being St Kilda.

Isaiah Miller

Club: Bendigo Pioneers
D.O.B.: 7.1.1995
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Medium Midfielder/Utility
Plays Like: Andrew Mackie

Miller is a talented yet creative midfielder/defender who is an elite reader of the play. Super athletic, quick and boasting a terrific sidestep – Miller has a big tank and is a bit of a pinball, in that he darts up and down the ground with ease. A fantastic mark, blessed with serious foot skills and sticky hands at ground level, Miller is one of the better attacking players of the draft who offers multiple efforts time and time again. Mature in the fact that he can roll off his opponent to impact a contest elsewhere, Miller also played two VFL games for Bendigo Gold and was in their best on both occasions. Reminds me heavily of an Andrew Mackie type, in that he has some serious depth to his kicking, is a very strong mark and is pacey off half back yet can creep further afield and have a profound influence on the game. The knocks came on Millers consistency this year, with a big gap between his best and worst football.

Will Maginness

Team: Oakleigh Chargers
D.O.B: 13.1.995
Height: 182
Weight: 75kgs
Position: Medium Midfielder/Forward
Plays Like: Jarrad McVeigh

Although slight, Will Maginness’ commitment to the cause cannot be questioned; his courage, hardness and ferocity at the ball is what makes him really stand out. The Oakleigh Co-Captain has had a good season at TAC Cup Level in between APS commitments and the National Championships, and has been the cornerstone of the Chargers’ year, despite not making finals. Although not quite an inside midfielder, Maginness is a stoppage specialist – his clearances and pressure acts make him a terrific prospect on Wednesday. Maginness offers plenty on the outside, especially off a half back where his line-breaking runs cut through the opposition, taking the game on – Maginness can really fire his team up, and ignite his side with some inspirational run-and-carry. Not to be underpinned as a one-dimensional player, Maginness has shown enormous ability to play in a number of roles, excelling off a half back flank, and resting forward where his ability to play as a defensive forward, yet can still offer a minor ability to kick goals.

Chris Cain

Club: Port Melbourne
D.O.B: 14.17.1987
Height: 181cm
Weight: 83kg
Plays Like: Kieran Jack

Port Melbourne will continue the trend of propelling mature age talent into the AFL system again this year, and it will come in the way of prolific goal-kicking midfielder, Chris Cain who will be highly sought after with the Pies and Dockers heavily interested. The medium midfielder had an outstanding season with Port Melbourne in the VFL, also won the Frank Johnson Medal as Victoria’s best player against WA this year. Cain has really good speed and agility and excels at clearances where his stoppage work is first class. Known to rack up big numbers of the ball and impact on the scoreboard, Cain has been described by some recruiters as a better prospect than Sam Dwyer who was rookied last year by Collingwood. Cain, ranked No.1 in the VFL in 2013 for disposals and, with one AFL recruiter saying that Cain’ ranked in the top 10 for running bounces.

Who’s Looking? Collingwood and Fremantle have held the most interest in Cain so far, with the Pies speaking to Cain again last week.

Eli Templeton

Club: Burnie Dockers
D.O.B.: 19.8.1995
Plays Like: Dyson Heppell

The biggest shock on draft night came in the way of Eli Templeton being overlooked altogether, but looms as one of the first set to go in the preseason or rookie draft. Perhaps the cleanest hands going around, Eli Templeton has had a terrific year playing for Burnie in the TSL, and capped off an impressive National Championships for Tasmania. With his long blonde hair, Templeton is elusive and nimble who rarely fumbles and always makes good decisions with the ball. Templeton has shown this year that he’s more than willing to crack in and put his head over the ball, which was probably the only whack on him coming into the 2013 season – given he was largely an outside player. The big tick for Templeton is that he is versatile enough to play an array of positions; his strength overhead and clean kick skills off half back present him as a weapon, yet his run and dash through the midfield and pushing forward makes him a bit of an x-factor. Templeton has a big tank, but doesn’t have that line-breaking speed that gives him the hurt factor; nonetheless, he’s a serious talent.

Jake Grieser

Club: Western Jets
D.O.B:
Weight: 88kgs
Plays Like: Luke Ball

Throwing himself at everything, Jake Greiser prides himself on the ability to win his own ball; the contested ball winner is a high possession winner, often found at the bottom of packs, bustling his way through traffic with his big strong body, and laying big hits and bone-crunching tackles that really ignite his team. In 2013, Greiser finished the year in the top 5 for clearances in the TAC Cup competition, something that he hangs his hat on as a powerful unit, that reminds plenty of on-lookers as a Ollie Wines type; Grieser is a raging bull. At the stoppages, he is vocal – telling his ruckmen where he wants it, calling others in or pushing players back, offering direction and leadership, whilst playing a very combative game that see’s him relish the physical side of football. The biggest standout attribute of Greiser’s game, is his defensive side. Unlike most midfielders his age, he prides himself on a “defense first” mindset; his natural game is to tackle, bump, hit and rampage through traffic and get to as many contests as possible, and with a big engine – that comes easily. Often found racking up plenty disposals, leather poisoning is something else Greiser has become accustomed to and with such a strong base of natural talent, there is plenty of upside for clubs looking to bring in an inside player who can be developed over a year or two.

Jed Clothier

Club: Calder Cannons
D.O.B: 4.5.1995
Height: 190cms
Weight: 84kgs

The Essendon NSW/ACT Scholarship holder made the move to Victoria this year to help progress his football in the elite under 18 system – the TAC Cup. He’s been a bit of a revelation, Jed Clothier without standing out. He does a bit of everything; he’s really stacked on the weight giving him a much stronger frame, and playing for the Cannons this year – he’s shown he can offer a bit of everything. He’s at his best at the stoppages, the inside midfielder wins the ball at the coal-face and is good enough to extract the ball with quick hands out of the pack, but his clearance work throughout the finals was first class, especially collecting the ball and bollocking his way through congestion to push Calder into attack. Clothier offered plenty as a lead up forward, too – similar in the shape and size of Josh P Kennedy, Clothier wins one-on-one contests with brute strengths, and has a good enough leg that carries the ball a good distance, kick 10.10 goals over 16 games, including a three-goal haul against the Western Jetts on the way to 22 disposals, five marks and four tackles. Clothier is a physical beast, he averaged just under 3 tackles a game, and demonstrated he was a big game player – and was among his sides best in all three of their finals this year, averaging 25 disposals over the TAC Cup Finals, including an average of four marks and four tackles and one goal a game for Calder. Although Clothier has some promising attributes, his running patterns are all over the place, which probably explains why he is so heavily rotated, blowing early in games. His endurance needs improvement, and his beep test isn’t where it needs to be.

Isaac Conway

Club: Aspley
D.O.B: 29.5.1995
Height: 183cms
Weight: 85kgs
Position Medium Inside Midfielder

Captain of the Queensland side in 2013, in terms of the type of player Conway is, he has played most of his career as a defensive midfielder, rolling off the back flanks or playing a run-with role the opposition’s best mid. Conway is a stoppage specialist, he is uniquely gifted in that he plays both inside, and outside considerably well. Conway’s strong body and footy brain enables him to get his hands first on the ball, and get away with a clearance or lock down a player with a strong tackle, bringing the ball to a halt. Although in the championships, Conway was an attacking midfielder, who hurt the opposition with his bursts forward of centre, ball in hand – streaming inside 50 for a long goal, or finding a target. He was able to accumulate a lot of the footy, attracting quite a lot of the ball through the midfield where his running patterns and big engine were exposed, display his versatility.

TALL DEFENDERS
Jake Pitt

Club: Glenelg
D.O.B: 4.4.1995
Height: 192cms
Weight: 76kgs
Position: Tall Defender
Plays Like: Josh Gibson

A bit of a different type of player in the draft this year comes in the way of Jake Pitt, who has an influential impact on games, which doesn’t really reflect in statistics. Pitt is very much in the mould of a Josh Gibson, in that he is tall but thin, yet is courageous and more often than not does the team thing but sitting in a hole, more often in front of an opposition forward. Pitt has the abilities to push to a wing or further to a flank, too. He has a good running game, but looks settled in defense where he seems to play his best football. Pitt knows when to leave his man and crash a pack, and has the ability to go one-on-one if need be, but he is best utilized as a spare man in defense, who directs traffic and does some really courageous acts. An above average kick, Pitt more often than not can find a target by foot, but opts to use a handball to a running option. Although rangy and agile, Pitt has a very good endurance base, and is highly regarded by teammates as a team player, who can spark his team by body-lining the ball, putting on a big Shepard, or backing into a pack to spoil a ball, knowing that contact is coming.

Fraser Fort

D.O.B.: 4.10.1995
Height: 196cm
Weight: 84kg
Position: Key Defender
Plays Like: Jack Watts

Fort was mostly known for his strong leading, clean hands, brilliant extension in his vertical leap, and knack to always influence the scoreboard. However, a raft of inconsistent form up forward saw a positional change to defence, a role he has relished and has significant grown into. Since moving to defence, Fort has taken some big jobs on opposition forwards, underlining his strength, mobility and athleticism to not only go with, but beat his direct opponent. Not scared to go one-on-one, Fort is dangerous in the air, he can kill the ball well in a contest, or back himself to take a saving contested mark. Undoubtedly Fort is at his best overhead, where his upper body strength, poise and clean hands mean he is rarely rattled or spooked out of a contest. Fort also has some good speed about him, his closing speed is what seems to catch most by surprise, and given his rangy build, he has drawn comparisons to Jack Watts with the way he moves through congestion and takes intercept marks, and his athleticism when he pushes further up the ground is also a talking point. A good reader and user of the ball, Fort sets up attack with sweeping kicks from defence, and kicks the ball to space where he demands his teammate to lead. Also named in the TAC Cup Team of the Year in 2013.

Alex Spencer

Club: Sandringham Dragons
DOB: 19.04.1995
Height: 193cm
Weight: 83kg

In watching the Dragons this year, aside from the midfield stars of Freeman, Kelly and Salem – one player who continously stood out for mine, was key defender Alex Spencer who repelled just about every attack that came near him this year. Spencer is solid one-on-one, and really knows how to use his frame to his advantage. A combative and physical player, Spencer has the ability to be thrown forward as a swing man which really creates a lot of unpredictability for oppositions teams, and a good wildcard for his coaches. The big tick for Spencer, is that he’s not afraid to take defensive marks, and more importantly – loves to make his direct opponent accountable and does have the knack to creep further up the ground to provide a tall tall target up around the middle of the ground. Spencer was the key dender for the Vic Metro side this year across all five games, and had an outstanding carnival.

James Toohey

Club: Oakleigh Chargers
D.O.B: 27/3/9
Height: 197cm
Weight: 96kgs
Position: Key Defender/Forward
Plays Like: Ben Reid

An absolutely outstanding year for Oakleigh Chargers saw key defender, James Toohey take home the coveted best and fairest award. Th 197cm versatile big man was once upon a time a key forward, however was pushed into defense this year to ramp up his draft prospects. Toohey is every bit an athlete; he has a fantastic engine, a big endurance base that almost always sees him overrun his direct opponent as he loves to get higher up the ground. Up forward, Toohey has a whopping left foot, and an accurate one at that. He reads the ball well in flight, and his vertical leap often sores over opponents taking big contested grabs. But since shifting to defense this year, Toohey displayed he was able to play a key lock down role, whilst also go with the center half forwards, often wearing them down and playing a physical style of play. If this wasn’t enough, Toohey also moved into the midfield, where he stood out and was unmatched in the period he spent through the middle. His running game and marking around the ground was near unstoppable, presenting a precise kicking efficiency and the ability to win the ball ground level. Toohey averaged 15 disposals this year, whilst also running a quick 3.05 sec 20m sprint at the state combine. in October.

Who’s Looking? Richmond took to Toohey with warmth in the lead up to the draft, and could deliver on that interest in the rookie draft.

Cain Tickner

D.O.B: 17.4.1995
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg
Position: Key Defender/Forward
Plays Like: Lachie Henderson

Cain Tickner has had a big turnaround in the past 12 months. The Brisbane Lions Academy member who was overlooked at the National Draft ran into a wall of injuries towards the end of last season which interrupted his preseason, and then suffered knee tendinitis and an ankle injury that threatened to derail his final season of junior football. However, the AFL-AIS Member was incredibly diligent in his rehab, strength and conditioning and made a professional return impressing for Queensland at the National Championships. Tickner has a fantastic size that is ready for AFL football; however where he is best played still remains largely unknown. Utilized both in defence and in attack, Rutledge has rare game sense, and is a brilliant key forward who takes strong contested marks, leads incredibly well and kicks goals from all over the ground. However, in defence – his athleticism, body positioning and strength means that he can shut down forwards with ease. Tickner has really grown into the modern day big man, who is capable of turning games, or on the contrary – saving them. Ticker thrives for a contest, and relishes the opportunity to play a physical and combative style of play that makes him equally courageous as it does reckless. Tickner also displays a rare ability to play through the midfield, where his big engine means he can cover the ground well, and mark easily above the opposition. With a brilliant field kick and elite hands, Tickner is clean below his knees and is deceptively quick, and offers plenty of x-factor given how difficult he is to match up on. Although a natural forward, a likely career as a key position defender looms large.

Aden Rutledge

D.O.B: 12.6.1995
Height: 192cms
Weight: 90kgs
Position: Key Defender/Utility
Plays Like: Tyson Goldsack

The great thing about Aden Rutledge is that he tends to gel well in any position, and is your classic modern day utility who is capable of playing both ends of the ground, but can also impact as a rangy winger. Very much in the mold of Collingwood’s Tyson Goldsack, Rutledge hurts the opposition with his strong marking, brilliance at ground level, and is an above average kick through the middle of the ground – impressing in all areas. Rutledge has shown the ability to create when the situation allows. Capable of playing on both tall and small opponents, with his height, speed and courage making him a safe option on match day, with his versatility almost always called upon. Up forward, Rutledge is a brilliant contested mark – with long limbs, he is capable of taking strong grabs overhead, or out-muscling an opponent to take a strong-bodied mark. His kicking for goal is also very reliable; he has a clean technique that almost never fails him, he just loves a goal. Transforming from a defender into to an attacking option, Rutledge has an array of arsenal at his disposal which his coaches over the year have utilized, which more often than not makes him quite dangerous and unpredictable. His work through the middle of the ground was of a high standard during the championships, demonstrating his ability to work the stoppages well, and spread well to get his hands on the ball in dangerous areas of the ground. Was a regular member of Brisbane’s reserves side in 2013 playing in the NEAFL.

Matt Sully

Club: Geelong VFL
D.O.B: 15.10.1992
Height: 196cms
Weight: 95kgs
Plays Like: Matthew Egan

Coming into his second year in the VFL season, after a debut year marred by lower leg injuries that saw him play just the seven games for the Cats, Matt Sully who was originally overlooked on the back of a fairly average TAC Cup year with North Ballarat in 2010 stamped himself as a genuine rookie possibility on Wednesday just three years later. Sully has come along way since his TAC Cup days, in 2011 Sully won a premiership with South Warrnambool and played representative football with both the Hampden league and the VCFL under-19 side. The now 21 year-old capped off a brilliant year in the VFL and was named in the back pocket of the VFL team of the year. The key position player showed he could play a variety of defensive roles, from lock down, to rebounding, and matched up well tall and small. Rarely beaten in a one-on-one, Sully is strong and physical and his combative style of play sees him run in straight lines, crash packs and B-line the ball whilst going on to becoming a linchpin of the powerful Geelong side in 2013.

Joel Tippett

Club: West Adelaide
D.O.B: 26.10.1988
Height: 197cms
Weight: 96kgs
Plays Like: Scott D Thompson

Attempting to make his way onto a third AFL list, Kurt Tippett is banging on the door to make that happen after yet another impressive season in the SANFL for West Adelaide, with Andrew Collins describing him as the best full-back outside the AFL. The Full back has had a ripper season, taking some big scalps on Lewis Johnston and Daniel Steart- and the athletic defender would be hot property in this year’s rookie draft after going painfully close in 2012. Tippet is AFL ready, and after spending 2007-2009 on the Brisbane’s rookie list, and eventually being picked up two years later for one season by Gold Coast, Tippett has gone full circle in the AFL world, and it could be third time lucky with the likes of St kilda and Melbourne desperately searching for more arsenal in defense. The big attributes in Tippett’s game, is not only his strength but his composure in a contested situation, and his diligence to grind away at his opponent. Tippett has also shown that he’s not afraid to rebound from 50, and has a decent leg to let fly some big drop punts. Tippett’s year was further enhanced with selection in the state side, and a huge state screening showing which saw him take out the vertical leap, the second best time in the agility test and third in the 20m sprint and 20m repeated sprints. The 25 year-old would slot right into an AFL side in 2014 should he get his third crack at the highest level.

Who’s Looking? Melbourne, Fremantle, North Melbourne and St Kilda have all made serious in-roads ahead of Wednesday.

RUCKMAN
Darcy Cameron

Club: Claremont
DOB: 18.07.1995
Height: 203cm
Weight: 98kg
Position: Ruck
Plays Like: Todd Goldstein

Depending on who you speak to, Darcy Cameron was considered to be the best ruckman of this year’s draft crop, and surprised some by going overlooked on Thursday, but is now shaping as a monty for the rookie draft. Cameron is a ridiculously good tap ruckman, and offers mobility and agility to gain an above average amount of possessions around the ground. Cameron can also rest forward where he is a threat in the air, but also has a good enough kick for goal to always impose on the scoreboard. Very developed in terms of his height and weight, and should come on very nicely down the line – he has deft touch in the ruck contest, and bodies up extremely well as demonstrated by playing senior football for Claremont in 2014.

Michael Sikora

Club: Essendon VFL
D.O.B: 26.01.1989
Height: 206cm
Weight: 108kg
Position: Ruck

The former Sandringham ruckmen underwent a preseason with St Kilda last year in the lead up to the rookie draft, however since making the move to Essendon’s standalone VFL side in 2013, he flourished as a ruckmen, stamping himself as one of, if not the best ruck in the competition. The physically imposing ruck is aggressive and combative, and doesn’t mind throwing his weight around. The Former basketballer has carried over attributes associated with basketball, those essentially being his vision, agility, quick hands, and boasting a terrific leap. Sikora averaged 26 hit outs in 2013, with a game high of 39 against Bendigo Gold, and 35 against Port Melbourne. Although predominately a tap ruck, Sikora only managed to hit the scoreboard once in his nine games in 2013, which has probably become the main weakness of his game.

Who’s looking? Essendon – the Bombers currently have Sikora training with them in the lead up to the rookie list, and with the Dons in desperate need of a back-up ruckmen to Tom Bellchambers and Patrick Ryder, the Don’s are keen.

MEDIUM DEFENDERS
Nathan Drummond

Club: Murray Bushrangers
D.O.B: 19.1.1995
Weight: 82g
Position: Medium Midfielder/Defender
Plays Like: Corey Enright

Quick, strong an ruthless, Drummond has been the cornerstone of the Bushrangers defensive unit this season. Drummond however, has the endurance to go through the midfield, and although he made cameo appearances, there is some seriously scope to see him carve out a potential midfield career, albeit he’ll start in defense. What I love about Drummond is that he is quick, very quick. The Indigenous prodigy didn’t get a clean run for Vic Country at the Championships as he was heavily rotated, but should he get into an AFL system, the elite coaching staff will have a lot to work with in terms of developing and further enhance his already impressive qualities, and nurture him into an A-grade footballer. Drummond is exceptionally good one-on-one and does have a lot of Corey Enright about him in the style of which he plays.

Tom Vandeluer

Club: South Fremantle
D.O.B: 20.03.1995
Height: 191cm
Weight: 90kg

Tom Vandeluer has really come on this season, and is exceptionally well built and offers versatility in defence whilst really stamping himself as a solid rebounding defender with good burst of speed and sound kick rating. Vandeluer has sound awareness and vision in traffic, but more so loves to run and carry. Vandeluer is athletic enough to play through the midfielder when required, yet relishes playing in defence where his intercept marking and ability to play a shutdown role make him a really good third to fourth best defender. Still needs to work on his consistency across four quarters, but his tank is big, his hands are safe and his kicking is efficient which is more than enough to work with.

Jimmy Tsitas

D.O.B.: 3.3.1995
Weight: 78kg
Plays Like: Paul Duffield

Dubbed “The Ryan Crowley” of the TAC Cup competition, Jimmy Tsitas is as tough and intimidating as they come. Although his namesake does not imply that he is a tagger, he is one big yapper and thrives on attacking and getting into the head of those who are mentally weak. With that aside, Tsitas (Pronounced Chee-tas) is a big time ball accumulator, and offers hardness, courage and physicality at every contest he is involved in. The AFL-AIS Graduate was utilized predominately as a rebounding half back type, Tsitas also has the scope to terrorize through the midfield where he can really impose himself at a contest. Tsitas is type of player who’ll fly the flag for the jumper, and has the clean skill set (ranked no 1 at the combine for the kick test) to be a damaging player who’ll break hearts if given too much space. “Jimmy-the-Greek” as he’s also fondly known as, also has leadership qualities – co-captaining the Geelong Falcons in 2013 and really stepped up into a midfield role throughout the finals series. The knock on Tsitas is probably the lack of depth on his kicking, he’s not a big kick – but he still uses the ball well when in possessions. It’d be a shame if one of the TAC Cup’s finest was forced back for another year, after being named in the TAC Cup team of the Year.

Erin Wasley-Black

Club: NT Thunder
D.O.B: 20.1.1995
Weight: 78kg
Position: Medium Defender
Plays Like: Grant Birchall

Erin Wasley-Black was the standout performer across the Championships for the Northern Territory this carnival. Wasley-Black roams the half back as the general, barking directions, plays accountable football but loves to attack, with a big emphasis of his natural run-and-carry style of play from defence. He’s got a fantastic set of hands, and a strong body in the contest, is elite at ground level and can find targets by foot with ease. Still needs to work on areas of his game, especially being able to remain competitive over four quarters, but the NT captain and the AFL-AIS Graduate has more than enough raw ability up his sleeve to really carve out an AFL career in a world-class culture at the Westpac Centre. Wasley-Black is blessed with deft hands, and is a fluid mover who has shown scope to play on a wing and also off half forward but needs to maintain disciplined as his skin folds blew out to 75 in the back half of the season, but to his credit he successfully got them back down to a more respectable 46 at the combine. Impressed at the camp running a 14.6 beep test as well as a 10.41 3km time trial.

Louis Herbert

Club: North Ballarat Rebels
D.O.B.: 27.6.1994
Height: 187cm
Position: Medium Defender/Utility
Plays Like: Tyson Goldsack

After being overlooked in the 2012 draft, Louis Herbert slugged out another massive season, which has seen his football develop in leaps and bounds, being named across half back in the TAC Cup Team of the Year. Since winning North Ballarat’s best and fairest, and playing each game for Vic Country this year, his football has blossomed with a switch to defence and cameo appearance through the wings. The one-time forward has relished the extra season in the TAC Cup, and has answered the calls of recruiters – furthering his development which is pleasing. Herbert is a rock in defence, offers plenty of running and athleticism, and really has stamped himself as one of the better utility types in this year’s crop. Herbert’s surprise snub from the draft has raised eyebrows, especially considering he’d been stamped as a possible second round selection. An exceptional marker, beautiful reader of the play with amazing flexibility, Herbert should be able to hear his name finally called out on Wednesday.

MEDIUM FORWARDS
Alex Spina

Club: North Adelaide
D.O.B.: 27.6.1995
Position: Medium Forward/Midfielder
Plays Like: Angus Monfries

An ultra-clean and exciting half forward, Spina is often a link player used between midfield and forward and possess speed, agility and goal kicking nous in spades. Spina is a vision specialist, and can often weigh up situations both in traffic and in space to make the best decision, and his clean disposal means that he is always reliable with ball in hand. What I love about Spina, is that he offers x-factor, and is one of the more reliable shots on goal in this year’s draft crop. Reminds me a lot of Sam Mayes in 2012 as a draftee, and will graduate to becoming a full-time midfield in years to come. Could also be utilized off half back, given his clean marking and kicking abilities and how he competes at ground level, there is plenty of upside with Spina despite his inconsistencies – he’s a hot option.

Luke Reynolds

Club: Port Adelaide
D.O.B.: 9.1.1995
Weight: 86kg
Position: Medium Forward

Class, class, class – it’s the most simple yet appropriate word used to demonstrate Luke Reynolds. Shocked plenty by being overlooked in the draft, but nonetheless is firming as a monty at the rookie draft. Reynolds offers as an interesting prospect as a versatile half forward. With a serious turn of pace, Reynolds is the type of player who naturally takes the game on, and loves to wheel around on his preferred left foot and deliver bullet-like passes to leading forwards. He has also shown the ability to play as a strong bodied, attacking midfielder who is the utmost elite below his knees, and equally as reliable in the air – but its something he didn’t show enough of this year which could underline why he was overlooked. Again, Reynolds is another player who offers a lot of upside and will be allowed more time to develop at the next level. Given his speed, ability below his knees and efficient kick, it wouldn’t surprise to see him developed as a rebounding defender which might yet be his best position.

Josh Scott

Club: Gippsland Power
D.O.B: 3.3.1995
Height: 189cms
Weight: 80kgs

Another player who was overlooked in 2012, Josh Scott has had another sensational season at TAC Cup level, and keeps banging down the door of an AFL club to give him an opportunity. The medium, athletic third tall has had knocks on him for his awkward size and his thin build, but Scott just keeps getting the job done. Although slight, Scott plays as if he were 10kgs heavier. He flies for marks, he throws himself at a contest and bashes and crashes packs for no regard for his own safety, he is just desperate for the ball whenever it comes near him. The TAC Cup leading goal-kicker was 15 goals ahead this year of the next best, finishing with 51 goals from 13 games, which included a ridiculous nine goal haul and five goal games on three occasions. The join Morrish Medalist got a small opportunity for Vic Country this year, and didn’t waste his chances either. Scott is a fantastic opportunist forward, he played as a key target in 2013 for the Power, and sat behind Swans draftee Tim Membry in 2012 as the second banana, however at the next level will slot into a third tall role, where he can utilize his athleticism and speed off the mark, and ability to play higher up the ground, given he’ll be found out in a one-on-one contest against stronger defenders – he’ll really need to add some size to his light frame.

Blaine Johnson

Club: South Fremantle
D.O.B: 28.07.1995
Height: 186cms
Weight: 84kgs
Plays Like: Jack Darling

The strong bodied Blaine Johnson has ignited a fair amount of interest ahead of the rookie draft, especially after his four-goal effort against Vic Metro during the National Championships. The strong-bodied medium forward is quite filled out for his size, he presents extremely well at the football and has his running patterns firmly developed showing his ability to lead at the ball on multiple efforts. Johnson is whopping kick, he can roost the ball well over 60 meters and has drawn comparisons to a Jack Darling type, as is his body shape, strength on the lead and his ability to kick some big goals. A real competitor, Johnson has his weapons as a forward, but lacks versatility to go through the midfield or play off half back.

#1 Ryder fan
spot on
Club Player

Any chance to rookie Tom ledger again? Now that watters is gone he may feel like he has a better shot at it. I thought he looked pretty good in the last few games

footynut
Club Player

I personally liked Ledger, but we can do better, lets move forward

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Rohan Connolly also saying tonight that we are showing some interest in Joel Tippett, as mentioned above in one of MC Gusto's mega posts!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 2y5z6.html

Always loyal
evo
Club Player

From twitter today...
Maverick Weller ‏@Maverick_weller
@Dylan_2112 thanks mate I really want to join the saints seem like a great club all round!! #excitingtimes

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

evo wrote:From twitter today...
Maverick Weller ‏@Maverick_weller
@Dylan_2112 thanks mate I really want to join the saints seem like a great club all round!! #excitingtimes
Well that would shock me if we bypassed him.

With the list lodgement cut off passing today too, looks like we aren't going into the PSD, meaning someone will probably take Templeton, and the more highly rated kids. Weller a strong chance at pick 3 of rookie draft, could do worse but I'd have preferred not re-sign CJ, pick up Weller and a kid like Eli. Ah well, best get this kids name (Eli Templeton) out of our heads as he won't be a saint!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-26/five-alive-in-psd

St Kilda has chosen not to delist a further player so will not be participating in the pre season draft.
There are only 5 active picks in the pre season draft with Sydney not using their activated pick as they intend to only have 38 senior listed players.
The AFL article does not say that Sydney has 2 picks so it would seem they are too tight against their salary cap to have two picks anyhow.
GWS has committed to take Jed Lamb with pre season pick no 1.

Having a pre season pick ahead of the rookie draft allows Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood to be the first to reconsider those players who were not taken in the National draft.

As GWS has pick No 1, Richmond pick No 2, Carlton pick No 3 and Collingwood pick No 4 then St Kilda's first rookie pick No 3 will be the 7th pick of the day.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think Rob Eddy was U18's All Australian.

My first thought with these highly rated guys who dont get picked up is attitude problems, but that didn't seem to be the case with him.
Eddy was a pick 39 in the Rookie draft.
Strange that he was named in the all Aus - so supposedly top 22 - but not picked up in the main draft.

I wonder how many kids in the annual AA side dont get drafted at all. Im tipping most of them don't get drafted at all.
Seems clubs look for potential (think Spencer White at pick 25) over someone like Eddy who they must have thought had zero upside at the top level (turns out the recruiters got it right).

Back on topic- - I have no problems at all if we go for Weller. Deserves another shot at it.
Jolly seems like a complete waste of time now - seeing we have Longer. So no thanks.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Here is the hot tip.

Scott Clouston 'liked' the Melbourne Football Club earlier today...by that logic, he is off to the Dees in tomorrow's Rookie Draft.

As a former captain, I am thrilled that my amazing leadership assisted in getting him to where he is today.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand all this bulls***. Is this different to the rookie draft?
Does the pre season draft happen before the rookie draft. So many bloody drafts that I'm catching a cold.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I don't understand all this bulls***. Is this different to the rookie draft?
Does the pre season draft happen before the rookie draft. So many bloody drafts that I'm catching a cold.

It hasnt changed in years. The pre season draft means you are on the main list, the rookie draft means you arent and in our clubs case we can only play one after round 12 or when we get a LTI. We have 2 picks and one will be Weller if he isnt taken by then which I would think he wont be and the other could be Jolly which would be as pathetic as taking Tippett. Surely we are better going with a young guy who may end up being the next Milne or Geary.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I don't understand all this bulls***. Is this different to the rookie draft?
Well I think tomorrow there are 2 drafts in one day
Rookie and the Pre Season.

The Pre Season draft used to be a thing - but has gradually become pretty much a nothing event as most clubs now dont use it all. It is basically an extinct draft species.

So all interest is in the Rookie draft - which by contrast - has grown in importance over the years - at the expense of the PSD.
At first clubs didnt really use the Rookie draft but used the PSD - nowadays clubs love the Rookie draft and take it seriously - but ignore the PSD.

Hope that clears it up!

mick13
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: I wonder how many kids in the annual AA side dont get drafted at all. Im tipping most of them don't get drafted at all.
2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_AFL_N ... alian_team

19/22 drafted and still on list including our own Billy Longer (ahead of Grundy as ruck)

2012: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-07-06/t ... alian-side

Pretty sure all of them ended up on a list - includes Billings.

2013: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-05/s ... alian-team

A lot of first round talent in there (don't recognise many names yet) including our own Dunstan and Billings again.

I think drafting knowledge is increasing a lot in recent years. There will always be a few flops. But making the U18 AA team seems to give you about a 90% chance of making it onto a list.