A question I would like to ask......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: A question I would like to ask......

Best 22 each week.

The makeup of those 22 will give us endless scope to debate though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Best 22 each week.

The makeup of those 22 will give us endless scope to debate though.
True, when you're losing a lot of games it's never quite clear if the players in the side are much better than the players out of the side.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For mine you identify the structure the team needs and pick players to fill it

Senior players that are performing well/working hard get selected

Then you fill the other positions with players that are for the future

You avoid and are harsh on SENIOR/OLDER PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING POORLY

There is plenty of room for 27yo+ players... but if they're not playing well, have attudinal problems etc then it's a waste of time

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think you've got to pick teams to win games, even when the odds are against you. That is what football is all about.

Otherwise we might as well chuck Spencer White in there at chf to better his development and give Riewoldt the year off.

The kids will get their chance if they are good enough and when they do, it's up to them to grab a spot and make it their own.

busso mick
Club Player

skeptic wrote:For mine you identify the structure the team needs and pick players to fill it

Senior players that are performing well/working hard get selected

Then you fill the other positions with players that are for the future

You avoid and are harsh on SENIOR/OLDER PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING POORLY

There is plenty of room for 27yo+ players... but if they're not playing well, have attudinal problems etc then it's a waste of time
I agree with your sentiments Skeptic. The older players on our list are in effect the representatives of the coaching staff ... on the field. If they are not performing and displaying leadership, then they should not be out there. Alan Richardson has indicated this a number of times in interviews, that the older blokes are a vital and necessary factor in the development of our team.

Unfortunately for Scott Watters he lost the trust of a lot of senior players and was a major factor in his demise.