If you missed it, open training day tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

If you missed it, open training day tomorrow

Training will take place from 9.45am to 11.30am on Monday morning
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-01-1 ... january-20

Should be good, just have to work out who all the new faces are :)

spiral3
Club Player

Re: If you missed it, open training day tomorrow

I couldn't really pay close attention, wrangling a kid and chatting but a few observations from today

Running work on the boundary
Lee, Fisher, Stanley, Sipposs, Billings, Roo, Pierce, Weller

Big Holmes had a good crack in the ruck but still has a lot of work to do on his kicking, style ok but didn't see him hit a target. He got a free in the match play and negotiating the up-field chaos and picking a target looked to fluster him. will learn a lot at Sandy this year.
Geary and Steven seemed to get a lot of ball in the match simulation work
Saunders was zippy as usual and his short kicking looked very sharp. Very boring knickname though - Saunders...Not a patch on Dempster who seemed to be called Chin
Shane Savage did some good things
Wright looks like a very solid unit now, should serve him well on field in combination with his pace and attack at the contest

sorry no hard hitting in-depth review, no glasses and pretty distracted :)
overall not the sharpest work, lots of missed targets but it's pre-season. just good to see the fellas run around and catch a bit of sunshine

note to Saints admin, the set up at Seaford for young spectators is terrible, really need some elevated ground or seating, little kids can't see over the fence or through it (covered in signage)
It gets pretty uncomfortable for them sitting on the fence and annoying for parents holding them up there

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks heaps for the update Spiral,

any scrap of info at this early stage is very interesting.

Chin? Love it :)

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I emailed them about that before but heard nothing, even if they opened a section where they could see though the fence....they don't seem to care

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Had a great morning down at Seaford, took my 6 year old daughter who has returned home with a new jumper full of autographs & some new favourites (She wants Jack Billings number but loved having a chat to Billy Longer & Tommy Curren was absolutely wonderful with her).

Training wise it was a pretty impressive session (a few skill errors in the flukey wind aside), a number of match simulation drills with Longer having the best of Hickey in the ruck but both big fellas showing some excellent foot skills around the ground. Billy clunked a few grabs & showed that he'll be a chance to develop into a good resting forward.

My standouts;

Tom Curren (just looked like he was one of our elite players- used the ball well, good vision under pressure & just seemed to be everywhere)
Shane Savage (along with Jack was a class above most & showed very good wheels, precise kicking & will be a very welcome addition to a developing midfield group).
Sam Dunell (another who used the ball very well & was in the play all the time)
Luke Delaney & Josh Bruce (both very big men, both used the ball well & will be an absolute godsend for our back line)

The regulars (Jack, Armo, Joey, Dempster, etc) all showed their experience in running to the right places & using the ball cleanly).

Dan Markworth did most of the session, with the exception of the full ground match drill... had a chat with him afterwards & he's a lovely kid. He seemed genuinely surprised with supporters knowing who he was & that they were excited to see him in action. He said he's ready to go now so will be back in full training from now on.

Mav was running laps but only as part of his training load... he's fully fit & absolutely ready to smash his way into senior footy.

The young guys, Luke & Blake especially, are very shy... Blake commenting that "at least someone knew my name" when I thanked him for signing my daughter's jumper.

Tom Lee commented on the Spencer White badge that I'd got the little one "he'll love seeing that". When I told him that the badge was $1 & was getting cleared out with the Dal Santo & Jordan Staley badges he cracked up... I think Spence might be in for some stick now!

Even the coach stopped by for a chat & he'd seemed genuinely appreciative of the support & commented that he thought it was the boys' best session thus far (they love a crowd was his call!)

All in all, it was a great day. Probably about 300 supporters there, all excited with what was presented out on the ground.

A last special mention must be made about Roo.... after running laps & heading inside for some boxing, he headed down to the far end of the oval & spent well over an hour signing autographs, posing for photos & chatting to every supporter who had hung around. Bravo skipper, you are an absolute champion on & off the ground!

Intra club is on Feb 8th BTW.

Richter
SS Life Member

Thanks AE and spiral. Reports much appreciated.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Playon
Club Player

Just to add Jones was looking good. If a young bloke doesn't take his spot there's a reason, he just knows how to out position his opponent. The young guys will have to earn their spots.

Tommy C, you just can't miss him on the ground he's built like a tank, his skills were looking good as well. He's going to be hard to stop. If he can get his skills anywhere near his fitness, he'll be the next biggest thing at the Saints. Still to early to call, but I'd be surprised if he didn't play 22 this year.

Overall some of the young blokes saw what afl pressure can be like :) with a few errors. Some sloppy play by all and as mentioned expected for this time of year.
But the boys are looking good with a lot of positive signs.

The coaches seem on the ball as well and more involved that i've seen in some pre-seasons.

One thing that stands out is that we wont be on the bottom of the ladder due to poor effort.
Cant wait for the intra club match.
If you take your kids make sure the have something to stand on. Thats the only thing that sucked not being able to see over the fence. :)

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I emailed them about that before but heard nothing, even if they opened a section where they could see though the fence....they don't seem to care

Maybe you're not pushy enough?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
spot on
Club Player

theres plenty of good pics on todays session on bigfooty, worth a look..

spiral3
Club Player

spot on wrote:theres plenty of good pics on todays session on bigfooty, worth a look..
got a link?

Johnny Favier
Club Player

spiral3 wrote:
spot on wrote:theres plenty of good pics on todays session on bigfooty, worth a look..
got a link?
There's a few links on this page - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2 ... 493/page-2

spiral3
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:
spiral3 wrote:
got a link?
There's a few links on this page - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2 ... 493/page-2
onya :-)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Great write ups guys...!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Just a question but could anyone see SS running a project to install some elevated seating, such a project I'd imagine would involve design proposals, costings, fundraising, small local sponsors supplying materials and services?...just a thought...

lloyd21
Club Player

Went along too thought Saunders Curren Longer were standouts .

The big plus is Fisher & Gwilt very fit and moving a lot better this year think defence will be a lot stronger .

Saints94
SS Life Member

lloyd21 wrote:Went along too thought Saunders Curren Longer were standouts .

The big plus is Fisher & Gwilt very fit and moving a lot better this year think defence will be a lot stronger .
Can I ask if any of the young group (Saunders etc) have they beefed up a little?

lloyd21
Club Player

Pierce Wright Newnes Lee have .

Saunders has electric speed and skills are better .
Curren looks as though he has really worked hard at running patterns this year very good .

Saints94
SS Life Member

lloyd21 wrote:Pierce Wright Newnes Lee have .

Curren looks as though he has really worked hard at running patterns this year very good .
Great news!, appreciate the reply buddy :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I emailed them about that before but heard nothing, even if they opened a section where they could see though the fence....they don't seem to care

Hey, can't let the kiddies see anything these days, they're the ones who know how to pass info to all and sundry. Any one of them could be a Snowdon or Assange.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Also on saintsfooty

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote:I Very boring knickname though - Saunders...Not a patch on Dempster who seemed to be called Chin

I thought I heard them yell 'saundo' which I thought was very unoriginal

anyone get a count on the Coaches run- How many laps?
McPhee, Teague and Kinglsey were at 10 and still moving when I left- Kingsley was the one dropping of and I got the feeling Teague could surpass them if he let go.

an alternate to seating would maybe be to put small boxing around the path for children to stand on.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Heard from a supporter at the Rye foreshore that went to training that Billings skills are amazing and very silky.

Sounds like a younger version of Dal.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Pierce Wright Newnes Lee have .

I watched replays of the late season foxtel matches recently and I was even more impressed by Curren on a second viewing. He is going to be very good this year. I have rated Saunders and Wright from day one- both look good. Lee looked likely after his massive Foxtel cup campaign a couple of years back too. Newnes is one that could be anything, he has poise and a bit of quality about him.

All the guys you mention are the ones I'm really looking forward to seeing come on this year. Pierce reminds me of Jolly and looks the real deal. He has that natural timing and plays like a ruckman should.