The good, the bad and the future!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The good, the bad and the future!

Player review from best to worst:

- Steven and Montagna are obviously our highest quality midfielders and both played well.

- Savage is a great pickup and played really well looks composed with the ball.

- Webster/Wright both looked excellent in defence and both have added size.

- Maister is a goer up forward if he can learn to create some distance with his opponent in marking contests he will become a very handy tall forward.
For me is a much better option as the forward - back up ruckman than Stanley could ever hope to be.

- Delaney/Bruce both acquitted themselves well and matched their opponents.

- Hickey rucked well but needs a lot more presence around the ground. He plays like a tall wingman when not rucking and is too easily moved out of contests.

- Longer didn’t play for long but when he did I thought he was sensational. Won tap outs and used his size and aggression to create a path for our midfielders which included tackling.
Contrary to a lot of others IMO if he can run out games I would have him in front of Hickey as out No 1 ruckman.

- Armitage battles hard but doesn’t have the dash to extricate himself from contests and his skills under pressure are ordinary.

- Geary played well but made a few mistakes leaving his opponent at ground level while flying in packs.

- Tom Curren didn’t win a lot of the ball but battled hard.

- Josh Saunders very quiet by his standards.

- Simpkin did ok looks better when he attacks the ball rather than being too conscious of his opponent.

- Eli Templeton what a find – he just has what it takes to become a very competent AFL footballer. 2 great goals and looks composed with the ball and works hard in defence.

- Luke Dunstan like Eli only played half the game but acquitted himself well. He certainly has the body and pressure skills to match it at that level.

- Farren RAY won a bit of the ball but his turnovers and lack of skill are far too costly and should be squeezed out of the side.

- Dylan Roberton tried hard in his clumsy sort of way. But like Ray makes too many costly turnovers. He will be only backup when Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt and Gilbert return.
Plus get a hair cut you look ridiculous!

- Seb Ross for me simply has no running abilities what so ever. He was running with Boyd for most of the night and we all know how damaging he was!
I have never seen a midfielder consistently remain stationary at the fall of the ball. Even when he wins the ball it is a kick off one step because he can’t summon the energy to move.
Duncan and Weller will both go past him before round 1.

- Clint Jones at least he creates a contest unlike a number of his fellow mids – but quiet night.

- Jack Newnes didn’t play a lot of game time but hardly noticed him when he was on – no impact.

- Tyson-Lane kicked one nice goal but runs around like a scared rabbit. Has not body strength whatsoever and was absolutely monstered buy a GOP in Young at ever contest.
Not up to AFL level.

- Sam Dunnell as in TDL very soft can’t lay a tackle or create any sort of forward pressure again not up to AFL level.

- Rhys STANLEY is an absolutely disgrace as a KPF! He has not one ounce of footballing smarts whatsoever. The term ‘looks like Tarzan plays like Jane” fits him perfectly.
AFL will pass him bye, by the time he works out that perhaps he should had a real go!

- Jack Billings didn’t play much but looked a boy competing against men!

Good:
- The recovery in the second quarter was heartening, plus outscored them after first quarter.
- Longer/Hickey in the ruck will more than cover for McEvoy.
- Backline held up well and looked much more balance with Delaney and Bruce’s size down back.
- Templeton & Duncan will both be quality AFL players.
- Wright & Webster will play all year and provide the much needed run.
- Savage a great pick up will only get better.
- Maister a much better option up forward than people give him credit for.
- Team running and getting numbers to the ball was good but not always well planned.
- Coach trying new things and was able to turn the game around after ¼ time!

Bad:
- The first thing that was last night was our lack of quality ball winning midfielders.
- We were smashed at the break down with the ball on the deck we were non-competitive, lots of work to be done in that regard.
- The Dogs were so dominant at the break down they formed a ring outside the contest and waited for the ball to come out to them so they just could run it away.
- We have too many midfielders who lack mobility when we win the ball - Armitage, Ross, Jones and Ray should not all play in same team.
- Our tackling technique needs a lot of work. On too many occasions blokes tried to tackle with a hand or arm rather than driving in with shoulders which is particularly important in the
wet.
- Too many players flying in marking contests and leaving their opponents free at ground level – cost us about 5 goals.
- Our delivery to the forwards was again quite poor and needs a lot of work.
- I used to be a fan of Stanley but now realise any hope of him becoming a footballer are lost. The guy should be playing VFL, when Lee returns play Maister in the forward/ruck role.

Future:
- Young players Wright, Webster, Templeton, Duncan and ruckman!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: The good, the bad and the future!

Good review. I think you have it summed it up very very well

Bring back the Lockett era
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

You have to be kidding re: Roberton, that was his first serious hitout of the year, he had surgery over summer and has missed a fair chunk of pre-season. He got better as the game went on, his kicking is better than average, he's 6'4" and quick. He is a walk up start in our best 22.
hickey had 38 hitouts and his tap work around the ground was good. He was the best ruck man on the ground last night by a fair distance.
Its DUNSTAN not Duncan
Maister is a good forward but should never play ruck again, thats why we have Longer and Hickey

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Great review Winners.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Spot on write up Winners, agree with most of your views.

I do agree with BBMD though re: Roberton. He was fantastic last year & will hopefully continue to improve.

I loved Longer cameo too. A big aggressive ruckman that we haven't had since the legendary Lazar!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look put Roo in that forward line and suddenly Beau wont have a two on one contest he had last night ... Beau did well to be competitive but its no suprise he will be better with Captain Nick alongside ...

as for Rhys , before we draw a line through him lets give him just a bit of leinency due to the conditions , Rhys is a fast big man wet conditions dont really make the game easy for those guys lets see how he go's in more suitable conditions for a player of his size...

Seb Ross yeah was slow but the promising sign was he was having a dip at getting there , personally i think he needs to buildd up the running a bit more and as the season go's i think we will see him improve in that area , worth remembering he is still very young and inexperianced

Dunstan is a beast looks to have sliped straight in to the pace and physicality of NAB footy i reckon we have got a player there ...

Eli wow what a first game ! i cant remember the last Saints player to have such an exciting first game ... conditions suited him perfectly and he was very very good , just lets not go over board with the hype on the kid as yet one great game should be celebrated but lets not forget its only his first game so we can expect ups and downs along the way

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Jimmy Webster was sensational. Particularly his effort against Crameri late in the 3rd when he saved a probable goal.

philtee
Club Player

Thanks for the report WO, and others...constructive and informed.
Will be keeping it all in mind when I finally get to watch the replay.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Good review. I think you have it summed it up very very well
+1

Terrific review and I agree 100% with every word (except I wouldn't put robbo in the same basket as ray - I rate robbo highly).

Couldn't have done a better review myself though.

Ps
I did get a chuckle from 'Tyson-Lane'

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Jimmy Webster was sensational. Particularly his effort against Crameri late in the 3rd when he saved a probable goal.
That tackle on the goal line ? That was great (Dunstan also did a nice one).

I am a big fan of Webster. Seems like an all round player to me.

No real weaknesses in his game . He's tallish, fast, lovely kick, tough and makes good decisions .

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Good review, but some of the opinions are way too strong based on one practice match.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I missed the game. It takes time to think/write these reports, so thanks WO for what seems to be a very good/accurate report.

Of course, things change over time.

I am very interested in what the Coach had to say at 1/4 time, as they lifted their game after that.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:Jimmy Webster was sensational. Particularly his effort against Crameri late in the 3rd when he saved a probable goal.
That tackle on the goal line ? That was great (Dunstan also did a nice one).

I am a big fan of Webster. Seems like an all round player to me.

No real weaknesses in his game . He's tallish, fast, lovely kick, tough and makes good decisions .
I think the tackle on the goal line that they called as Webster was also Dunstan. Webster beat Crameri one on one a little further out, probably got a bit lucky because he went to ground but the ball found him there.

Having said that, I thought Webster was great last night.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
karnaby
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Good review, but some of the opinions are way too strong based on one practice match.
Agree. I don't think February is the time for too much negativity. We all know this is going to be a tough year, we wouldn't be in this position if we had a team full of champions.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:You have to be kidding re: Roberton, that was his first serious hitout of the year, he had surgery over summer and has missed a fair chunk of pre-season. He got better as the game went on, his kicking is better than average, he's 6'4" and quick. He is a walk up start in our best 22.
hickey had 38 hitouts and his tap work around the ground was good. He was the best ruck man on the ground last night by a fair distance.
Its DUNSTAN not Duncan
Maister is a good forward but should never play ruck again, thats why we have Longer and Hickey
It is a subjective opininion re Roberton -but he is 6'4" and cant play on anyone over 6. IMO bbmd there shoukd be a lot of players getting games in front of him and that would have occurred last year except for injuries. Simply my opinion but i dobt rate him!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Totally disagree with the OPs call on Stanley and is embarrassingly hysterical considering the context of the game and stage of the season.

FQF
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Totally disagree with the OPs call on Stanley and is embarrassingly hysterical considering the context of the game and stage of the season.
I totally agree with the call on Stanley. He continually shows absolutely nothing. The only thing I would differ on is that I hope he totally proves me wrong, and this can only happen with a few more chances.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It was a junk game and don't read too much into it. Roberton was steady and one of our best as was Webster if we are looking for players who really put in. The midfield worries me- too slow, second to the ball and don't own the ball enough when in possession, and I hope that gets addressed by the first real game. I would hope that we see more consistency from Ray and Armo and something more from Ross and Saunders who did nothing special and who should really be taking a step up this season. Stanley is going to have to do something special to cement a spot.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Totally disagree with the OPs call on Stanley and is embarrassingly hysterical considering the context of the game and stage of the season.
Carinsman I hope he proves me wrong - but how long to you have to give a kid before you conclude that he hasn't got it. This is Stanley's 6 year on the list and he has not shown in any form of the game that he do contribute consistently to the team. He is one of those players if he was to go back to VFL he would have the same output, as he either just doesn't understand the game or have the will to impose himself on a game.

We can live in hope he will improve but it's time he got a huge rocket and went back to the VFL and displayed some real hunger that he wants to continue playing the game at the Saints!

Here something you can quote me on Cairnsman - Holmes who has not yet played a game will be delivering more output than Stanley does by the end of the year!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:You have to be kidding re: Roberton, that was his first serious hitout of the year, he had surgery over summer and has missed a fair chunk of pre-season. He got better as the game went on, his kicking is better than average, he's 6'4" and quick. He is a walk up start in our best 22.
Its DUNSTAN not Duncan
It is a subjective opininion re Roberton -but he is 6'4" and cant play on anyone over 6. IMO bbmd there shoukd be a lot of players getting games in front of him and that would have occurred last year except for injuries. Simply my opinion but i dobt rate him!
Last year he averaged 17 disposals a game and finished 10th in the b&f despite missing 2 games through injury. He would have played regardless of who was available last season.
And he will be one of the first picked in defense this year

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Coach said this morning that they had not had one single training session in the wet and this was a contributing factor in the first qtr performance.

I doubt the Bulldogs would have had a training session in the wet either, however at least they would have had some at some time with their coach.

Cant be overlooked. Kids seem to acquit themselves after qtr time, which apparently the coach found "pleasing" :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Carinsman I hope he proves me wrong - but how long to you have to give a kid before you conclude that he hasn't got it. This is Stanley's 6 year on the list and he has not shown in any form of the game that he do contribute consistently to the team. He is one of those players if he was to go back to VFL he would have the same output, as he either just doesn't understand the game or have the will to impose himself on a game.

We can live in hope he will improve but it's time he got a huge rocket and went back to the VFL and displayed some real hunger that he wants to continue playing the game at the Saints!

Here something you can quote me on Cairnsman - Holmes who has not yet played a game will be delivering more output than Stanley does by the end of the year!
Yeah I understand where you are coming from and he certainly needs to show some improvement this year but to be fair to him the conditions weren't exactly suited to him and last year he was played as a spare parts man so probably found it hard to settle down. I'm just willing to wait until we get into the season and see how he goes then before jumping on his back, but as I say I can understand the frustration. BTW...big call on Holmes. I've bookmarked this thread. :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes will probably have another ordinary year at Sandy and should never pull on a Saints guernsey again. He runs around like a headless chook and cannot take a contested mark, struggles to take an uncontested mark. He tries to push the ball forward and catch it on the way down. Once it hits the ground he's even more useless.

Some promising signs from Hickey, Longer, Bruce, Dunstan, Webster, Wright, and Eli.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sobraz
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:Player review from best to worst:
- Geary played well but made a few mistakes leaving his opponent at ground level while flying in packs.
Great overall synopsis, but if that was a Geary playing well, I'd hate to see a bad game..

I don't think he hit one target all night, which is the norm with him, and his attack on the ball and hardness can only take him so far... With Webster's obvious improvement and Gwilt, Chips, Dempster all to return, and Delany a lock as key back, I don't see a spot for him ahead of Roberton and Webster in the backline.. What is his role? Simpkin is a far better defensive option also IMO... His disposal and decision making is just deplorable too often...

I joked last night when he got an early possession in the firt qtr, a mark or free kick, I mentioned to my wife to watch as he turns it over... Kicked it straight into the man on the mark... People hang Jones for his kicking, Geary's just as bad, and ultimately causes worse turnovers as Jones generally knows his limitations and plays it safe...

Rhys Stanley should enjoy his last year on an AFL list... TDL is better as a key forward let alone whatever role he plays..

Very happy with Webster, Eli, Duntan, Hickey & Longer combo, thought Delany did more than I expected and Simpkin has put a terrible 2013 behind him..

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see the match but why didn't Longer get more match time?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!