Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

linz
Club Player

Stanley

He must surely be the classic example of a physically gifted athlete who couldn't realize his potential because of a general lack of interest
or heart or both. He may wake up one day (probably in 10 years) and think to himself. "If only I had given it a crack, how good could I have been?"
Sadly we may never know because if his efforts thus far in his yet to start career are any guide ………….

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley

Why should Ray & Jones get all the love on Saintsational?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't believe he is not 'having a go' or trying .
I think he is trying.
We under estimate how hard afl footy is.
Remember most players playing afl have been stand outs their whole lives.
Sure there are exceptions (eg mike pike, gilbo, daw, hickey etc etc) but most have probably already been playing for over 10 years before they get to an afl club.
Some people just won't have the aptitude for the game.
It's like we can't just turn matt shirvington into a rugby league player cos he's quick.
There are other skills like timing and angles that require their own sets of skills.
For every Rhys Stanley there is a diesel Williams or Sam Mitchell who shouldn't be good but are so quick of mind and so in tune of where and how to get the ball they are always one step ahead of their more athletic opponents .
Sadly for Rhys he is the opposite of a Mitchell - he is always one step behind his less athletic opponents.

For me he is a ruck man or nothing .
He played as a jr as a ruck .
Sanfl as a ruck .
Recruited as a ruck.

Then some genius thought gee whiz this guy is tall fast and looks a little like roo - maybe he can be a fwd.
You will find the vast majority of gun Fwds at afl level have already dominated at some lower league or as a jr and already know how to play as a fwd.
Until Rhys can at least dominate a vfl match as a fwd I can't see how or why anyone would imagine he can do it at afl level.

It always was and remains a pipe dream based on no evidence at all.

I believe he should play ruck . If we have three rucks well we have three rucks and the best two play.

Middo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I honestly don't believe he is not 'having a go' or trying .
I think he is trying.
We under estimate how hard afl footy is.
Remember most players playing afl have been stand outs their whole lives.
Sure there are exceptions (eg mike pike, gilbo, daw, hickey etc etc) but most have probably already been playing for over 10 years before they get to an afl club.
Some people just won't have the aptitude for the game.
It's like we can't just turn matt shirvington into a rugby league player cos he's quick.
There are other skills like timing and angles that require their own sets of skills.
For every Rhys Stanley there is a diesel Williams or Sam Mitchell who shouldn't be good but are so quick of mind and so in tune of where and how to get the ball they are always one step ahead of their more athletic opponents .
Sadly for Rhys he is the opposite of a Mitchell - he is always one step behind his less athletic opponents.

For me he is a ruck man or nothing .
He played as a jr as a ruck .
Sanfl as a ruck .
Recruited as a ruck.

Then some genius thought gee whiz this guy is tall fast and looks a little like roo - maybe he can be a fwd.
You will find the vast majority of gun Fwds at afl level have already dominated at some lower league or as a jr and already know how to play as a fwd.
Until Rhys can at least dominate a vfl match as a fwd I can't see how or why anyone would imagine he can do it at afl level.

It always was and remains a pipe dream based on no evidence at all.

I believe he should play ruck . If we have three rucks well we have three rucks and the best two play.

And you write off Billings after one game ..?
How hard is AFL footy you seem to have a good grasp of it after a kid plays 30 minutes ... :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:He must surely be the classic example of a physically gifted athlete who couldn't realize his potential because of a general lack of interest
or heart or both. He may wake up one day (probably in 10 years) and think to himself. "If only I had given it a crack, how good could I have been?"
Sadly we may never know because if his efforts thus far in his yet to start career are any guide ………….
Perhaps he is giving 100%, but he just isn't that good good at football?

Being 200cm and lighting quick doesn't mean you can play the game. If he was a gun junior with these natural gifts he would have been taken at pick #1, not 47.

As a young KPF/Ruck, hopefully he still can improve significantly… running out of time you would think though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote: And you write off Billings after one game ..?
How hard is AFL footy you seem to have a good grasp of it after a kid plays 30 minutes ... :roll: :roll:
Certainly haven't written him off. I reckon he will be a good player and play 200 games.
Just reckon he is risky as a pick 3 - but then again everyone is a frickin risky at pick 3.
I might be wrong - look at Lenny and Simon black - proves nice guys sometimes do finish first.

But this thread is on Stanley - can you stick to the topic or take it elsewhere.
Waaaaay too much off topic posts on this forum.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Perhaps he is giving 100%, but he just isn't that good good at football.

Being 200cm and lighting quick doesn't mean you can play the game. If he was a gun junior with these natural gifts he would have been taken at pick #1, not 47.

As a young KPF/Ruck, hopefully he still can improve significantly… running out of time you would think though.
+1
My sentiments exactly.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Good good

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

200 cm in a first practice match on a wet /Soaking ground ,give the bloke a bit of leeway ,last year was the first time he played over 5 games straight , and he was played out of position lets give him. 5 games on a dry ground before we have him out the door !

PADDLEPOP1000
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:200 cm in a first practice match on a wet /Soaking ground ,give the bloke a bit of leeway ,last year was the first time he played over 5 games straight , and he was played out of position lets give him. 5 games on a dry ground before we have him out the door !

Fair call .

I'd just like to see him go back to vfl and kick a big bag and get his rhythm and timing and leading worked out. Get a feel for the game.

Until he can kick 5 in the vfl we should forget him as a fwd in the afl.

Heck even TDL kicks bags in the vfl.

karnaby
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:200 cm in a first practice match on a wet /Soaking ground ,give the bloke a bit of leeway ,last year was the first time he played over 5 games straight , and he was played out of position lets give him. 5 games on a dry ground before we have him out the door !
Absolutely!

One practice game, in conditions that clearly didn't suit him and people have decided he too needs to stand out on the target range so they can take pot shots at him. Sad.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

karnaby wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:200 cm in a first practice match on a wet /Soaking nd ,give the bloke a bit of leeway ,last year was the first time he played over 5 games straight , and he was played out of position lets give him. 5 games on a dry ground before we have him out the door !
Absolutely!

One practice game, in conditions that clearly didn't suit him and people have decided he too needs to stand out on the target range so they can take pot shots at him. Sad.
I think people have been more tha. patient with Stanley than he deserves. I agree with Con send him back to Sandringham to learn the game either as a ruckman or forward and play our best 2 ruckman Longer & Hickey....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:He must surely be the classic example of a physically gifted athlete who couldn't realize his potential because of a general lack of interest

Just not good enough.

Probably never has been.

I thought he was something, then realised I'd never seen him dominate a game at any level.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Contrast a guy like Podsialy with Stanley.

Pods kicked about 500 vfl goals before a club gave him a single opportunity because he wasn't considered athletic enough.

Stanley is considered athletic so gets opportunity again and again and again before even showing he can kick 5 vfl goals.

Gershwin
Club Player

Commentators thought that he was 'waiting for things to happen' rather than 'making things happen'. Could be a confidence thing. Gwilt was very timid in his first couple of seasons.
Played CHF which is a tough position. As a 3rd key forward and relieving ruckman should know what is expected of him when the season begins.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Commentators thought that he was 'waiting for things to happen' rather than 'making things happen'. Could be a confidence thing. Gwilt was very timid in his first couple of seasons.
Played CHF which is a tough position. As a 3rd key forward and relieving ruckman should know what is expected of him when the season begins.
I don't think Gwilt thought he was anything special and just worked hard with what he had.

I'm not convinced Stanley really understands how far behind he is. Maybe playing several VFL games could be the wake up call. Watters made it too easy for him last year and gifted him games for the Saints IMO that he often didn't deserve.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What about the youtube 'next big thing' clip?

Weren't we all over Rhys in 2010 for covering Roo at 20yo? Then he was the next fletcher last year?

Bit like 'BJ who, Siposs'?

And wasn't it a flood almost Wednesday? Is that good conditions for a giraffe tall fwd?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What about the youtube 'next big thing' clip?

Weren't we all over Rhys in 2010 for covering Roo at 20yo? Then he was the next fletcher last year?

Bit like 'BJ who, Siposs'?

And wasn't it a flood almost Wednesday? Is that good conditions for a giraffe tall fwd?

I dont get this post. Having a go at Stanley or the people here in the first part and then sticking up for him in the next part. i suppose its hard to be wrong that way.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Surely even the angriest of supporters understands that Stanley wasn't suited to a football field that was flooded with rain just prior to the start of play. Come on! let's give the guy a break and let him get into the season proper before we kill him off.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BTW, I think Stanley could force Maister out of the side if they can turn Stanley into a forward/ruck type. I don't rate Maister and I think he could be the bloke that drops out of the side at the end of the year.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is another one that suffers a bit ftom poor planning.

Exactly what are we developing him as? At the moment it seems to be as a forward that relieves in the ruck. Last year it was as a back. They need to make a decision with him and develop him as that.

Me personally, I say develop him as an around the ground ruck, work on his upper body strength n mongrel then if he starts taking contested marks, let him party forward as relief

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

needs to bulk up a bit..too easily knocked off the ball.

james rose
Club Player

The guy is 23 and 200cm. Give him a bit more time before you all throw him to the wolves.

Honestly the worst thing that ever happened to Stanley was winning the GF sprint.

I'd be prepared to give him another 2-3 years before I start talking about getting rid of him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:I'd be prepared to give him another 2-3 years before I start talking about getting rid of him.
He reminds me of Jason Laycock in many ways. Laycock was on Essendon's list for eight full years. He was injured a bit throughout his career but showed promise and they persisted with him. He was finally delisted at 26 years old when he'd played 58 games. Stanley's on track for a very similar progression - currently 23 with 39 games under his belt.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Stanley putting on bulk, he looks like he has done just that in off-season if recent photos are anything to go by at least. The guns look magnificent!