Matt Finnis for CEO?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Finnis for CEO?

Enrico_Misso wrote:I wonder what type of paint he uses?
He sounds like my exterior weatherboards.
Maybe his résumé was just a short note? 8-)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Given that the Club has been conspicuous in not denying the report (against their very quick denial on Anderson) there would appear to be some credence to this story from Jake Niall.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Given that the Club has been conspicuous in not denying the report (against their very quick denial on Anderson) there would appear to be some credence to this story from Jake Niall.

I think you will find it is certain to happen.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic decision if they appoint him. Even if it's stepping stone he will add a lot of value. I worry about the ability to bring in sponsorship given his history but right now we need a strong voice in the AFL environment. Like it or not we will have to play with city hall for the next 5 years. Fighting against them over the past 10 years has only lead to bad umpiring, terrible fixtures, silly tribunal and match outcomes etc. Time to get on board and play the good boy for awhile.

Finnis brings us a smart voice, connections and stability. We would now have the three main key stakeholder positions filled. A good president, a impressive coach and strong CEO. Crucial next 24 months.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Solar wrote:Fantastic decision if they appoint him. Even if it's stepping stone he will add a lot of value. I worry about the ability to bring in sponsorship given his history but right now we need a strong voice in the AFL environment. Like it or not we will have to play with city hall for the next 5 years. Fighting against them over the past 10 years has only lead to bad umpiring, terrible fixtures, silly tribunal and match outcomes etc. Time to get on board and play the good boy for awhile.

Finnis brings us a smart voice, connections and stability. We would now have the three main key stakeholder positions filled. A good president, a impressive coach and strong CEO. Crucial next 24 months.
Great post. Hopefully you're correct.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:I wonder what type of paint he uses?
He sounds like my exterior weatherboards.
Maybe his résumé was just a short note? 8-)
I saw that! 8-)

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This is sounding very credible.

Solar - can you explain what you mean by "I worry about the ability to bring in sponsorship given his history"?

Cheers mate.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is sounding very credible.

Solar - can you explain what you mean by "I worry about the ability to bring in sponsorship given his history"?

Cheers mate.
Because he never got a sponsor for the players association.

Wasn't this the pr!ck who gave Sam Gilbert no support when he was being vilified and defamed by all and sundry.

Seems a weak as piss type.

Should be a perfect fit

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, why all the love?

Has he had experience running any form of business?

If so then great. If not, then we are going for an L-Plater for CEO again.

Nettlefold "knew" football contacts and look where that got us.

What we need is someone that knows how to run a business and can knock us into shape. Having football contacts is a plus, rather than the be all to end all.

What business experience does he have?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RESUME:
Chief Executive Officer, AFL Players Association
March 2005 – Present (9 years)

Lawyer, Lander & Rogers
2002 – 2005 (3 years)

Clerk / Lawyer, Rigby Cooke Lawyers
2000 – 2002 (2 years)

Sponsorship Services Manager, Anti-Cancer Council Victoria
1999 – 2000 (1 year)

Additional Organizations

Director, Surfing Australia (2005 - present) Director, HeartKids Australia (2005 - 2009)

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

He knows football and legal as well as having a great network ,there are plenty of people on the board who are good businessmen!

PADDLEPOP1000
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:there are plenty of people on the board who are good businessmen!
They may be, but they all have day-jobs.

Besides if that counted for much we would not be in our current pickle.

What matters is he good enough to be a great CEO?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:there are plenty of people on the board who are good businessmen!
They may be, but they all have day-jobs.

Besides if that counted for much we would not be in our current pickle.

What matters is he good enough to be a great CEO?
CEO is full time and carries a 600k salary?
What day jobs could they fit in?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Solar wrote:A good president, a impressive coach and strong CEO.

Hope you're right, but how would we know right now if any of these 3 statements is correct?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Cheers mate.

Wasn't this the pr!ck who gave Sam Gilbert no support when he was being vilified and defamed by all and sundry.

Should be a perfect fit
Isnt the players association a union for players? Do unions get corporate 'sponsorship'? Dont unions rely on workers paying fees?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:He knows football and legal as well as having a great network ,there are plenty of people on the board who are good businessmen!
I agree- and footy isnt really a straight 'business'. More like a not for profit where the first aim is to win a flag and the second aim is to break even long term.
A straight business first aim is make max profit. So not really the same thing.

Since when have we all been conned that the primary aim of a footy club is to make a profit and the primary aim of the AFL is to maximise broadcasting revenue?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:He knows football and legal as well as having a great network ,there are plenty of people on the board who are good businessmen!
I agree- and footy isnt really a straight 'business'. More like a not for profit where the first aim is to win a flag and the second aim is to break even long term.
A straight business first aim is make max profit. So not really the same thing.

Since when have we all been conned that the primary aim of a footy club is to make a profit and the primary aim of the AFL is to maximise broadcasting revenue?
It's mainly about revenue and cash flow.

If they are both high you can reduce your profit by increasing footy dept spending if required.

Revenue gives you opportunity

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Cheers mate.

Should be a perfect fit
Isnt the players association a union for players? Do unions get corporate 'sponsorship'? Dont unions rely on workers paying fees?

Normally, it's about relying on members' fees, but I have a feeling the AFL contributes to the coffers. If you think about it there would be. a maximum of 700 players who could be a member and I have no idea as to their fee structure, so there would always be a shortfall of funds, hence the AFL making contributions.

For those who question his capacity to be a CEO based on his experience with the AFLPA, he'd have lots of experience with all sorts of people and their issues whilst at the same time trying to keep all of the people happy all of the time. And that would not be easy.

He'll be ok for our club.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

From my "Glass Half Full" perspective;

We have a NEW President

We have a NEW Coach

We will soon have a NEW CEO

Together they can grow !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Craw
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Sorry, why all the love?

What we need is someone that knows how to run a business and can knock us into shape. Having football contacts is a plus, rather than the be all to end all.

Andrew Demetriou and Brendan Gale were both former CEO's of the players association.... seems to be a good incubater for this kind of job within the AFL.

Not Craw, CRAW!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Cheers mate.

Should be a perfect fit
FFS Con are you Asperbergers or something? It was an ironic joke.

I have worked for a membership organisation for nearly 10 years, so I would think I know how they operate :roll:

And yes,SOME membership organisation do get corporate sponsorship, in an organisation like he headed up not likely.

their role is to look after the welfare of the players. Interesting you said nothin on my accusation of them not defending Gilbert when defamed and vilified.

I hope this jerk is not our CEO,, seems to have a weak character if you take his performance at the AFLPA as a guide. Would go after small targets and never took on the AFL or any player under real duress.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I see him as fiercely ambitious. That's a quality we don't seem to have had a lot of recently. Netters was a bit like watching rust gather on a piece of metal. just when you thought his profile and energy couldn't get any lower he seemed to find a new way of disappearing. Even when we were in controversy he seemed to find an even lower profile. Compared to Frank Costa and Eddie MC Nuggets he seemed almost a fictional character.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Would be an excellent appointment.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FFS Con are you Asperbergers or something? It was an ironic joke.

I have worked for a membership organisation for nearly 10 years, so I would think I know how they operate :roll:

And yes,SOME membership organisation do get corporate sponsorship, in an organisation like he headed up not likely.

Really no need for a response like that.

Are people really supposed to know every poster's background so they can tell whether they're joking or not? And having read your response, I'm still not sure what you're trying to say

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Sorry, why all the love?

Just a question, are you suggesting that the current financial and/or membership problems are ones that Nettlefold created?

From my understanding the responsibilities of a CEO are set by the board and it would be good to know what Nettlefold's responsibilities were just to put into context the agro he seems to attract.

Does anyone know within a bulls roar exactly what the responsibilities of Nettlefold were? Was he given full responsibility for profitability? I assume he probably presided over day to day management of things like the marketing and membership departments. Was he responsible for sponsorship also? Was he responsible for business development?