Matt Finnis for CEO?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Finnis for CEO?

kosifantutti wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Isnt the players association a union for players? Do unions get corporate 'sponsorship'? Dont unions rely on workers paying fees?
FFS Con are you Asperbergers or something? It was an ironic joke.

I have worked for a membership organisation for nearly 10 years, so I would think I know how they operate :roll:

And yes,SOME membership organisation do get corporate sponsorship, in an organisation like he headed up not likely.

Really no need for a response like that.

Are people really supposed to know every poster's background so they can tell whether they're joking or not? And having read your response, I'm still not sure what you're trying to say
Oh well, too bad, report me

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Matt Finnis, well we are desperate so anyone who will accept the position will do it seems.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Sorry, why all the love?

Has he had experience running any form of business?

If so then great. If not, then we are going for an L-Plater for CEO again.

Nettlefold "knew" football contacts and look where that got us.

What we need is someone that knows how to run a business and can knock us into shape. Having football contacts is a plus, rather than the be all to end all.

What business experience does he have?
Andrew Demetriou and Brendan Gale were both former CEO's of the players association.... seems to be a good incubater for this kind of job within the AFL.

AD also had business experience.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
The Craw wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Sorry, why all the love?

Has he had experience running any form of business?

If so then great. If not, then we are going for an L-Plater for CEO again.

Nettlefold "knew" football contacts and look where that got us.

What we need is someone that knows how to run a business and can knock us into shape. Having football contacts is a plus, rather than the be all to end all.

What business experience does he have?
Andrew Demetriou and Brendan Gale were both former CEO's of the players association.... seems to be a good incubater for this kind of job within the AFL.

AD also had business experience.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Matt Finnis, well we are desperate so anyone who will accept the position will do it seems.

Do you know him? ever had anything to do with him?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it, no high profile, vastly experienced operator would want the job, nor can we afford to pay top dollar. We are forced to take a punt here. The best we can do is take on someone like Finnis, who is promising, yet somewhat untried. We have to hope that we are getting a rising star, who will use his performance with us as a stepping stone to greater things. We once went for a young, untried coach named Jeans. That worked out pretty well. Let's hope we can replicate it with a CEO.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
onlooker2
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Let's face it, no high profile, vastly experienced operator would want the job, nor can we afford to pay top dollar. We are forced to take a punt here. The best we can do is take on someone like Finnis, who is promising, yet somewhat untried. We have to hope that we are getting a rising star, who will use his performance with us as a stepping stone to greater things. We once went for a young, untried coach named Jeans. That worked out pretty well. Let's hope we can replicate it with a CEO.
I think you are right. With Robson and AA seemingly out of the equation it's time to take a punt, an educated one.

thezelk
Club Player

DEMETRIOU

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thezelk wrote:DEMETRIOU
Lol I hate him but would be great for us if he was prepared to take a role for a million bucks or more below his market value

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thezelk
Club Player

The new regime has made significant long-term decisions in the appointment of Alan Richardson as new coach and with Matt Finnis, the chief executive of the AFL Players Association, expected to be announced on Tuesday as the Saints' new chief executive.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... z2uuGhkyua

Exciting times, looking forward to the journey

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thezelk wrote:The new regime has made significant long-term decisions in the appointment of Alan Richardson as new coach and with Matt Finnis, the chief executive of the AFL Players Association, expected to be announced on Tuesday as the Saints' new chief executive.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... z2uuGhkyua

Exciting times, looking forward to the journey
The new Pres sounds comfortable in taking the "brave" decisions. Let's hope he has the mettle to keep brave and not waiver from that message. I like his word so far.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:Matt Finnis, well we are desperate so anyone who will accept the position will do it seems.
Why is it that you people think Matt Finnis isn't a suitable candidate for the CEO role?

He has experience in the football industry by virtue of his role of CEO of the AFLPA for the past 5 years, and prior to that worked as a lawyer for 2 very highly regarded Melbourne Law firms. I do not know Matt Finnis personally, but having worked in the legal industry myself for the last 18 years, and with close ties to the two firms he worked for, I can say that he is extremely well regarded, and I am totally comfortable with him being appointed to the role of St Kilda CEO.

Give him the opportunity to prove himself before you go bagging him.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Why is it that you people think Matt Finnis isn't a suitable candidate for the CEO role?

He has experience in the football industry by virtue of his role of CEO of the AFLPA for the past 5 years, and prior to that worked as a lawyer for 2 very highly regarded Melbourne Law firms. I do not know Matt Finnis personally, but having worked in the legal industry myself for the last 18 years, and with close ties to the two firms he worked for, I can say that he is extremely well regarded, and I am totally comfortable with him being appointed to the role of St Kilda CEO.

Give him the opportunity to prove himself before you go bagging him.

It's amazing the comments on here. Everybody canning him without knowing him, meeting him, working with him.

thezelk
Club Player

Welcome Sir Matt Finnis
Just announced on fox sport

thezelk
Club Player

Starts immediately!!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Best thing about this appointment is that nettles departs.

The westaway/nettlefold tenure had its time.

May Matt be the guy that finally guides the club to the "Finnis" line :p

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thezelk wrote:Starts immediately!!!
Hope so.

Herald Sun reporting it a bit differently :?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6844797743

"ST KILDA has appointed AFLPA chief executive Matt Finnis as its new chief executive.

Finnis told staff at the players’ association of his decision to accept the position this morning.

Finnis will take over the post from interim St Kilda chief Terry Dillon in two months to allow for review of the collective bargaining agreement with the AFL...."

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Just received the member's email confirming Matt Finnis' appointment- a very impressive CV to say the least. Really happy to have a young CEO on board that can grow with the rejuvenated list that is being put together.

I'm really excited about the management team that we have assembled. The key now is for them to stay together for the next decade.

Summers, Finnis, Pelchen, Richardson.

oh when the
Club Player

I hope he can rattle the cage at LHC and turns us into a powerful club off field and successful on field.

NOW for new sponsor.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe get us a new deal at Etihad that allows us to make money.
New sponsor, imagine if we could get Microsoft and have Bill Gates personally interested.
10 million over 4 years, spare change.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
FQF
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:Maybe get us a new deal at Etihad that allows us to make money.
New sponsor, imagine if we could get Microsoft and have Bill Gates personally interested.
10 million over 4 years, spare change.
Interesting you say that, even though you're sarcastic. It doesn't seem like any big tech companies are involved with AFL sponsorship at the moment, unless I just haven't noticed it. But perhaps a big company like Samsung, HTC or Microsoft would be interested? I don't think I've ever seen Apple sponsor anything, probably because they don't need it.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually not being sarcastic FQF, 10 million would be nothing to these tech companies and I don't see why we don't chase them, well we may have, but we don't know.
It would be great PR, take a real underdog club like St.Kilda and help turn it into a power house, much like what happened with Manchester City, which has lived in the shadow of United forever. Same thing is happening in Basketball with the Clippers outshining the Lakers.
It would be great PR for these companies to do this, and relatively cheap advertising.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Best thing about this appointment is that nettles departs.

Good point SK.

And if we don't capitallise on our chances the next couple of years to re build the list, we may be finnis....ed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:Best thing about this appointment is that nettles departs.

Good point SK.

And if we don't capitallise on our chances the next couple of years to re build the list, we may be finnis....ed.
I just hope Matt Finnis doesn't take the gloss off the club!!......sorry thats a terrible pun

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Good choice, but no sign of an email. Has anyone slse also missed out?