Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Josh Bruce

Just wondering if anyone can fill us in on his progress? Has not been mentioned in Sandi's best in the practice games or over the weekend. Thought he would get a lot of game time for the Saints given he filled the physical criteria of what we needed in defence. Are his skills an issue?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Bruce

I thought he looked pretty solid for Sandy yesterday, though obviously AFL is a big step up from playing on Khan Haretuku. His body language often doesn't look great, I wonder if attitude is a problem for him?

mick13
Club Player

damienc wrote:Just wondering if anyone can fill us in on his progress? Has not been mentioned in Sandi's best in the practice games or over the weekend. Thought he would get a lot of game time for the Saints given he filled the physical criteria of what we needed in defence. Are his skills an issue?
Some would say definitely in the best for Saturday. Had 21 touches, very good in the contest.

His skills are a bit of an issue, but he did a couple of very nice passes on Saturday. I think he's got a lot of room for improvement and we will see it. Plus he's not gonna be in the team for skills. Moreso taking the contested mark and handballing it to one of JWebb, Newnes or Wright. Although I've noticed he does back himself to run with the ball a bit off half back. If he can get his kicking up a couple notches it will be more than adequate.

Sort of like Zac Dawson. Every now and then he's kick a 55 metre bullet that hit Roo/Kosi on the chest. Has the ability but it won't happen all the time.

I think he'll be in the team sooner rather than later. Just there's not much space in the backline for him, even without Chips in the side.

Tommy Simpkin putting his hand up too.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is and was a crap kick. All he does is fill space and spoil

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:I thought he looked pretty solid for Sandy yesterday, though obviously AFL is a big step up from playing on Khan Haretuku. His body language often doesn't look great, I wonder if attitude is a problem for him?
I was surprised when meeting him at Junction, he comes across a bit up himself from a distance and when I spoke to him I thought he was looking resentful and serious but he turned out to be probably a little insecure at first then really warmed up and was flattered we knew who he was and his background. He seems quite serious at first but def a nice guy and seems like he's pretty focussed on getting into the seniors and doing well. He doesn't exude warmth but I think thats a defence mechanism. He is a lovely size for a KPP.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
damienc wrote:Just wondering if anyone can fill us in on his progress? Has not been mentioned in Sandi's best in the practice games or over the weekend. Thought he would get a lot of game time for the Saints given he filled the physical criteria of what we needed in defence. Are his skills an issue?
Some would say definitely in the best for Saturday. Had 21 touches, very good in the contest.

His skills are a bit of an issue, but he did a couple of very nice passes on Saturday. I think he's got a lot of room for improvement and we will see it. Plus he's not gonna be in the team for skills. Moreso taking the contested mark and handballing it to one of JWebb, Newnes or Wright. Although I've noticed he does back himself to run with the ball a bit off half back. If he can get his kicking up a couple notches it will be more than adequate.

Sort of like Zac Dawson. Every now and then he's kick a 55 metre bullet that hit Roo/Kosi on the chest. Has the ability but it won't happen all the time.

I think he'll be in the team sooner rather than later. Just there's not much space in the backline for him, even without Chips in the side.

Tommy Simpkin putting his hand up too.
Not that it means much, but in today's Age Bruce was named in the 6 best, 3rd after Cockie and Weller, and just before Lee. The order tends to catch the eye.

I'm looking forward to their names being mentioned in the same order at senior level. I'm sure Cometti will grasp the opportunity.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey didn't exactly exude self confidence but it didn't seem to hold him back on the field.
Let's hope Bruce has a similar temperament!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bergholt wrote:I thought he looked pretty solid for Sandy yesterday, though obviously AFL is a big step up from playing on Khan Haretuku. His body language often doesn't look great, I wonder if attitude is a problem for him?
I was surprised when meeting him at Junction, he comes across a bit up himself from a distance and when I spoke to him I thought he was looking resentful and serious but he turned out to be probably a little insecure at first then really warmed up and was flattered we knew who he was and his background. He seems quite serious at first but def a nice guy and seems like he's pretty focussed on getting into the seniors and doing well. He doesn't exude warmth but I think thats a defence mechanism. He is a lovely size for a KPP.
That will come in handy down back.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Robert Harvey didn't exactly exude self confidence but it didn't seem to hold him back on the field.
Let's hope Bruce has a similar temperament!

I have met Harves a few times and it's a similar temperament, not quite sure if he's quiet, pissed off, arrogant or what. I think both are a bit shy but hide it.