Saints want to plunder 3 stars from Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints want to plunder 3 stars from Draft

True Believer.... Come on man... I would suggest my mates were referring to 'you' as 'your club' being stk....
It's a pretty common style of phrasing? Ie/ you gave us Ablett, we gave you Judd?...

JB.... OMG as the kids would say....

Question
Do you think hawthorn and North weren't happy about their recruits? Did my (deluded) mates not have reason to be laughing.... After all both those sides are looking in pretty good shape for 2014.

I love the line
Our trades have given us a chance to have successful trades.... Well put...

Did all experts think we did well? Or just the experts that agree with you? And in hindsight... Which is pretty normal when reviewing something..... I think we gave up a lot.... But were compensated reasonably well.... Billy Longer was what really helped our cause.

Fold in 2017.... Check out the language and context in which it was stated.... If you don't think we are in a precarious position, you are possibly simple? I don't know, definitely blind in your support!

Anyways
Happy ranting....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: JB.... OMG as the kids would say....

Question
Do you think hawthorn and North weren't happy about their recruits? Did my (deluded) mates not have reason to be laughing.... After all both those sides are looking in pretty good shape for 2014.
Good question, but whet it has to do with you deriding our club is anyones guess. You said they were laughing inferring our trading was inept.

Where you Hawk friends laughing when we got #17 and then their compo pick for Buddy? Oh and some bloke called Savage?
BigMart wrote:love the line
Our trades have given us a chance to have successful trades.... Well put...
Typical. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would see it was meant to be our trading strategy. When a bloke resorts to grammitical errors on a post, you knw they are struggling. Next it will be spelling errors :roll:
BigMart wrote:Did all experts think we did well?
Dont know. Do you ALL the experts?
BigMart wrote:Or just the experts that agree with you?
What experts? Struggling much?

Who were the clubs laughing at our strategy BM? Name them.
BigMart wrote: And in hindsight... Which is pretty normal when reviewing something..... I think we gave up a lot.... But were compensated reasonably well.... Billy Longer was what really helped our cause.
Too bad you didn't go off half cocked and like most reasonable and sensible people wait until the trading period was over before ranting about the Saints inepitude.
BigMart wrote:Fold in 2017.... Check out the language and context in which it was stated.... If you don't think we are in a precarious position, you are possibly simple? I don't know, definitely blind in your support!
You are either incredibly stupid or just a liar who is too lazy or incompetent to read. You make these claims wiyhout any financial nous whatsoever. Have you analysed the financial statements? No because you wouldn't have the capacity to.

But go ahead, proclaim doom and gloom, with absolutely no basis in fact or reality, you are good at that.
BigMart wrote:Anyways
Happy ranting....

Anyway happy lying and being willfully ignorant.

BM the Tea Party of SS.

Being ill informed and ignorant is no badge of merit BM.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Have you analysed the finances? Don't think so?!

How'd you rate our off field performance.... And while you at it.... On field (that'd be interesting)

Experts.... People in the media, ex-coaches, players, commentator, journos? People who know more than you and I....
You my friend, are not an expert... Just a blind, one eyed supporter!
Fact is opinions are divided and we will have to wait and see because we took all fringe/developing players and DPs and it cost a champion and a leader....

And remember.... Embellishing on something, is pretty much lying....

Also, besides the grammatical errors caused possibly by emotional ranting, perhaps check the tone of the language in your posts
Condescending, patronising abbuse in most cases.... It does make for interesting reading though?

If you are in finance... It figures

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

My Hawthorn supporter mates did indeed pay out on me, for offering them a 24yo first round pick Ruckman in our leadership group, statistically the 3rd highest ranked AFL Ruckman....... Just what they needed
Just like my Richmond mates jibed me when we recruited Pattison and Polo....
Not sure that is proclaiming, suggesting or believing ...... I would say REALITY!!

I think we MAY have traded very well
i think so too....big boy was the number one ruck in the side that finished 15th ..and he finished last in the league for hit outs...and as it's stated in inside football...." so why is anyone stunned when the saints let him go"...

i thought he was a dud from the start...and a gumby when his first attempt at a mark sconed him.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Back on topic,
I think we should deliberately choose 'duds' in the draft so that we can disprove Ralph's statement.

Seriously, how many clubs select players in the draft they know will be no good?
An absolutely farcical statement by Ralph, but similar to many farcical statements he tends to make.

As for trading to get 'pick 3', I'd love to know which club gave it to us and who did we trade out to get it?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy could do what most Ruckmen can't ...... Take a contested grab

He was also reportedly the best endurance runner at the club (source, Milney)

But he did have limitations.... He, like Armo is a B-Grade footballer.... Which is still pretty good

I think Longer will overtake him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
i hope so...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kp83
Club Player

BigMart wrote:McEvoy could do what most Ruckmen can't ...... Take a contested grab

But he did have limitations.... He, like Armo is a B-Grade footballer.... Which is still pretty good

I'm led to believe those internally already believe Hickey had gone past him and so they had no hesitation in letting him go when the offer came.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:
BigMart wrote:McEvoy could do what most Ruckmen can't ...... Take a contested grab

I'm led to believe those internally already believe Hickey had gone past him and so they had no hesitation in letting him go when the offer came.
What would they know?
Hawthorn rated McEvoy and they are the premiers.
Only their opinion matters.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He averaged 1.5 contested marks a game this year

Thats 0.375 contested marks a quarter

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Cazalinko1

Just thought I'd contribute to who I reckon we should draft this year. I actually played junior footy with Billings, as well as Luke McDonald and Jay Kennedy-Harris up until colts, so when we were about 16. I know that sounds a little ridiculous, but it's true, we all played for Kew Comets and we had a pretty star studded team to be honest....
Jack Billings is an excellent player, he's a fantastic kick and user of the footy, exceptionally smart player as well. You could play him anywhere, throw him forward, down back, in the midfield and he'd still dominate. He is a little shorter than they listed on the draft profile I think, but not short enough that it's much of an issue. He's also not very quick, not exactly slow, but doesn't have much pace. On the other hand though, he's an excellent guy, the perfect teammate and I think he'd be an excellent pickup.
McDonald is gonna be an absolute superstar. He's got everything. Height, pace, marking ability, strength. He's not the best kick but that can be worked on. I think North are getting a steal with him at 8.
Jay K-H could fall to us at the end of the first round. He's exceptionally quick, very, very fast. His first few steps are like lightning, can really get off the mark and away from chasers easily. He is a small forward, so I don't know if we would be willing to take him, but he can definitely rotate through the middle, as he has the pace, aerobic capacity and kicking skills to play there. He is very short for an afl player mind you, and lacks strength, but he could be an excellent player

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Which Ruckman averages more?

1.5 is actually pretty important..... They are 50/50 contest wins that stop goals and repel attacks.....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cazalinko1 wrote:Just thought I'd contribute to who I reckon we should draft this year. I actually played junior footy with Billings, as well as Luke McDonald and Jay Kennedy-Harris up until colts, so when we were about 16. I know that sounds a little ridiculous, but it's true, we all played for Kew Comets and we had a pretty star studded team to be honest....
Jack Billings is an excellent player, he's a fantastic kick and user of the footy, exceptionally smart player as well. You could play him anywhere, throw him forward, down back, in the midfield and he'd still dominate. He is a little shorter than they listed on the draft profile I think, but not short enough that it's much of an issue. He's also not very quick, not exactly slow, but doesn't have much pace. On the other hand though, he's an excellent guy, the perfect teammate and I think he'd be an excellent pickup.
McDonald is gonna be an absolute superstar. He's got everything. Height, pace, marking ability, strength. He's not the best kick but that can be worked on. I think North are getting a steal with him at 8.
Jay K-H could fall to us at the end of the first round. He's exceptionally quick, very, very fast. His first few steps are like lightning, can really get off the mark and away from chasers easily. He is a small forward, so I don't know if we would be willing to take him, but he can definitely rotate through the middle, as he has the pace, aerobic capacity and kicking skills to play there. He is very short for an afl player mind you, and lacks strength, but he could be an excellent player

Kennedy -Harris looks really exciting he's a bit like a combo of Christiansen and Motlop from Geelong. Metro seemed to give him midfield time and his highlights have some beautiful long accurate kicks. We could do much worse. He's got plenty of x factor.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Which Ruckman averages more [contested marks]?
Mike Pyke; Ty Vickery; Tom Bellchambers.

Nic Natanui and Aaron Sandilands both averaged 1.5; David Hale and Matt Kreuzer averaged 1.3; Zac Clarke averaged 1.2. Other than Hale, they all averaged less time on ground than McEvoy.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
BigMart wrote:Which Ruckman averages more [contested marks]?
Mike Pyke; Ty Vickery; Tom Bellchambers.

Nic Natanui and Aaron Sandilands both averaged 1.5; David Hale and Matt Kreuzer averaged 1.3; Zac Clarke averaged 1.2. Other than Hale, they all averaged less time on ground than McEvoy.
Nice one VS - was about to respond myself to BM's question

BM suggests that contested marks 'stop goals and repel attacks" and no doubt this can happen however they can also be taken on the wing when the said player's team is attacking and his resulting kick can end up out of bounds on the full and there is no guarentee that if a player doesn't take a contested mark in the backline that the opposing team would score anyway.

It seems BM is insinuating (I could be wrong) that all of McEvoy's contested marks - all 1.5 a game - impacted games greatly

Personally I would think that McEvoy's 1.5 contested marks a game would have had minimal effect on the overall result of the game anf if thats what BM is hanging his hat on to suggest we should have kept him then he is clutching at extremely thin straws.

Hey everyone loves a contested mark but what good is it if the resulting kick ends up in the oppositions hands anyway (see McEvoys rucktap stats)

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:It seems BM is insinuating (I could be wrong) that all of McEvoy's contested marks - all 1.5 a game - impacted games greatly
I don't want my point misconstrued, but I suppose that happens when you just list off names and numbers. I'm not scoffing at 1.5 contested marks a game. Contested marks are incredibly valuable. They basically turn a contested situation into an uncontested one, even if they're up on the wing. Over the long haul, that should result in more goals for and less goals against, so I'm with BM there. It's definitely one of the positives of McEvoy's game. He was 4th in the league for a ruckman. That's not nothing. I don't think he's as exceptional as BM thought, but that's okay too.

I don't think the club had to trade him, but I don't think they fools to either. On established form, moving to Hickey or Stanley is a downgrade. Both are far more acrobatic than McEvoy, but neither has translated that into actually being good in the ruck yet. Neither have hands as sticky as McEvoy's and I wouldn't rate either as being as good with the ball as Ben is either. That said, the downgrade isn't dramatic enough that we can't do it. In the end, upgrading our draft position when given the opportunity probably was the right move over the long haul for the club and the club is necessarily in long haul mode. I'm not going to oversell the Savage part of the deal. I'll be surprised if he's much better than a passable midfield body. Getting Longer was huge though. He makes trading Mac a much easier sell.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Devilhead wrote:It seems BM is insinuating (I could be wrong) that all of McEvoy's contested marks - all 1.5 a game - impacted games greatly
I don't want my point misconstrued, but I suppose that happens when you just list off names and numbers. I'm not scoffing at 1.5 contested marks a game. Contested marks are incredibly valuable. They basically turn a contested situation into an uncontested one, even if they're up on the wing. Over the long haul, that should result in more goals for and less goals against, so I'm with BM there. It's definitely one of the positives of McEvoy's game. He was 4th in the league for a ruckman. That's not nothing. I don't think he's as exceptional as BM thought, but that's okay too.

I don't think the club had to trade him, but I don't think they fools to either. On established form, moving to Hickey or Stanley is a downgrade. Both are far more acrobatic than McEvoy, but neither has translated that into actually being good in the ruck yet. Neither have hands as sticky as McEvoy's and I wouldn't rate either as being as good with the ball as Ben is either. That said, the downgrade isn't dramatic enough that we can't do it. In the end, upgrading our draft position when given the opportunity probably was the right move over the long haul for the club and the club is necessarily in long haul mode. I'm not going to oversell the Savage part of the deal. I'll be surprised if he's much better than a passable midfield body. Getting Longer was huge though. He makes trading Mac a much easier sell.

There were a couple of games that Hickey played where he really got around the ground and marked really well. His tap work might not statistically be much better but he definitely gets hands on the ball at most ruck contests. His leap at least makes life hard for the opposition. I don't know if it's timing or a lack of the ability to jump high but Mc wasn't a convincing ruckman.

Stanley was really good when he wasn't injured in 2012. He uses his athleticism well and looked pretty good as a ruckman. All three have time to develop but my feeling is Hickey is only about a year behind Big Mac. Stanley is a different type but is obviously going to have to find a spot next year.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Neither have hands as sticky as McEvoy'
Yet Hickey averaged 1.6 contested marks per game in 2012

vacuous space
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Stanley is a different type but is obviously going to have to find a spot next year.
A healthy Stanley should be a lock in the forward line. I'm pretty sure Watters likes having three talls and I suspect we'll be rotating two rucks between the centre an the forward line. If Longer does so well he pushes somebody out then I think we'll be pretty happy. I'm not expecting that though.
Devilhead wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Neither have hands as sticky as McEvoy'
Yet Hickey averaged 1.6 contested marks per game in 2012
McEvoy averaged 2.3 per in 2011. If I had to tip which one out of Hickey, McEvoy and Stanley would have the most contested marks in 2014, I'd go with Mac. I'm more than happy for Hickey to go out and prove me wrong.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But I thought you said McEvoy was a huge loss, a great leader and a huge mistake.

According to you he is only a GoP and Longer will overtake him.

Longer cant even get ahead of Hickey.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I am genuinely shocked that we want to plunder three stars from the draft !!

I was informed by a source (that I believed to be reliable) that we were going to pursue:

Pick 3 - a gumby

Pick 18 - a spud

pick 19 - a no-hoper

I thought this was all part of our long term "disarray" strategy. Up until now I had been a big supporter of this strategy as it appeared to be well thought out, very in depth and detailed, and very far reaching. I am losing faith in it now as it seems to be coming apart in no small way..........

Every side is allowed one gumby TB. I know you said this awhile ago but you should have known it was Hickey. Grow up.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

wow

just wow

jimmy_slats
Club Player

have you boys been drinking???
tisk tisk

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Freebird
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

But I thought you said McEvoy was a huge loss, a great leader and a huge mistake.

And you could not understand why we should not have taken Howard so high...
Why would you search for this...get a life!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Might have to call you the excavator digging up things from that long ago.

Are you Saintsational's paelintologist?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.