VFL RD 4- Sandringham vs Casey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL RD 4- Sandringham vs Casey

Weller could possibly have 4 BOGs in a row....

His numbers compared to his opponents (he's been getting best opposition mid) are amazing.....

Not sure he's had a less than 9/10 game

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Weller could possibly have 4 BOGs in a row....

His numbers compared to his opponents (he's been getting best opposition mid) are amazing.....

Not sure he's had a less than 9/10 game
I would have Mav in ahead of Ross, I think he offers more in terms of run and he is also a good option up forward. He is one hell of a big unit

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I think Weller has to come in against the Hawks, perfect game to shine...

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

maverick wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:Ok, just got back from Casey fields. A quick summary of the day:
Very windy and cold at Casey, the wind was blowing straight across the ground, one goal Cook kicked he actually aimed about a metre outside the point post and it went straight through the middle. Terrible day for tall forwards, Lee and Maister barely took a contested mark between them.
My thoughts on the saints players

Longer: went ok, took a few marks around the ground but I thought he lowered his colors to Gawn
Simpkin: was solid in defense, crunched a few in heavy tackles and rebounded well
Milera: was quiet, did some nice things now and then but with the amount of ball that we had could have done more
TDL: played a lot in the midfield and was ok without being brilliant, not his type of game with a lot of contested footy and packs
LEE: didn't do much at all, watched him closely, just doesn't work hard enough. No multiple leads, no defensive efforts
Weller: geez this bloke plays for keeps. He tackles to hurt! His skills are very good but he isn't overly quick. I think he deserves a go in the seniors but I don't think you can play him, Dunstan, Lenny, Ross and Curran in the same team. They all lack a little leg speed.
Maister: struggled to hold his marks but did battle hard at ground level, he is an honest trier but just not up to AFL standard
Dunell: brilliant first half, was in everything. Ran hard and took some great contested marks, faded in the second half but still a good game
Shenton: good game again, gave plenty of run off half back and didn't give his opponent a sniff, disposal was good too.
Munchington: worked his arse off, tackled chased and harassed all day. Unfortunately for him, I think Curran has his spot in the seniors
Murdoch: best game I've seen him play, played mostly in the midfield/ half forward, his kicking is very, very good. Took some nice grabs and showed more mobility. Starting to regain some fitness after no pre-season
Siposs: very disappointing, does not work anywhere hard enough, he was second to the ball over and over again, when he did get it just tended to bang it long instead of looking for short options
Acres: this kid is a gun, his ability to find space where there is none is brilliant, his ball use is spot on and he almost always takes the right option. He must play senior footy soon
Markworth: very good game, his pace is elite. One passage of play down the wing was electric. He started along side his opponent but in 3 strides he put a metre on him, took 3 bounces and left his man for dead. He will play senior footy this year
Thanks for that BBMD, much appreciated.
For someone that hasn't seen Markworth play how and where does he play, who is he like maybe?
Thanks.
I think Markworth will play wing/half forward he is very tall, I stood next to him and Acres in the huddle at qtr time and they are very similar in height, around 190cm. Markworth is very, very quick and agile. He is hard to tackle and has the ability to change direction very quickly. I think him and Acres will both develop into outside mids/wingers. It's going to be very exciting watching Dunstall Weller, Armo, curran getting the ball out and seeing Markworth, Acres, Steven, flying down the wings

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dunstall?

Would be exciting.... Possibly past it though

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Dunstall?

Would be exciting.... Possibly past it though
Thanks for the input <edited by mods>

<poster PM'd to explain the breach and will be warned for future breaches>

saint-stu
Club Player

Great writeup BBMD. I didn't think Lee was too bad. It clearly wasn't good conditions for tall forwards. His work around the ground when in the ruck with as good I thought. I just have a feeling he will do much better in the ones when getting good accurate delivery.

1ac46a38
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

saint-stu wrote:Great writeup BBMD. I didn't think Lee was too bad. It clearly wasn't good conditions for tall forwards. His work around the ground when in the ruck with as good I thought. I just have a feeling he will do much better in the ones when getting good accurate delivery.
Agree. Lee had 4 disposals in first half and yeah was pretty atrocious. But then after half time they threw him in middle and he finished the day with 19 disposals, 4 marks and 3 tackles. Set up few goals aswell.

Newman
Club Player

Thanks for that. Googling around to find something. Your report all I could find. Appreciate your review.

With Wright and Templeton gone for a long period and Armitage/Gilbert out for a while we need someone to step up and grab an opportunity.

Love Lee's shots on goal … but needs to do more.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Match Report & Stats: Zebras continue unbeaten start to season - http://www.truezebras.com/round-4-match ... to-season/

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Match Report & Stats: Zebras continue unbeaten start to season - http://www.truezebras.com/round-4-match ... to-season/
Thanks for your rwport and hard work thunda and to the others that braved the cold and wrote reports.

bloody exciting times at sandy and exciting times for saints fans with Weller acres and markworth waiting in the wings....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Match Report & Stats: Zebras continue unbeaten start to season - http://www.truezebras.com/round-4-match ... to-season/
Thanks for your rwport and hard work thunda and to the others that braved the cold and wrote reports.

bloody exciting times at sandy and exciting times for saints fans with Weller acres and markworth waiting in the wings....
Sure is. 3 definite ins over the next few weeks it seems.

Shame it appears Lee and Siposs are going backwards very quickly though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Sure is. 3 definite ins over the next few weeks it seems.

Shame it appears Lee and Siposs are going backwards very quickly though.

Lee's game wasn't too horrible .....but beau's really was....he's gone

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
falka
Club Player

See Lee didn't kick a goal and many saying he was poor.

Yet had more touches than Weller ( the new Tommy Walsh?)

Good to see white get some touches and goals in dev squad. Maybe he will get a game in Zebs 1's next week

Rapped for Acres

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:Acres form is very very pleasing
Very impressive

We land 3rd gun in Acres and that turn around could be but a draft away....

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWal
Club Player

falka wrote:See Lee didn't kick a goal and many saying he was poor.

Good to see white get some touches and goals in dev squad. Maybe he will get a game in Zebs 1's next week

Rapped for Acres
You can only comment on what you see. I think Weller has a presence on the ground that is beyond touches. He was also tagged which will not happen at the moment in the AFL. Lee was very good after halftime when he was on the ball but you have to remember that he will not be a ruckman at AFL level. When he played as a key forward early he was bodily pushed under the ball and off the ball all way to easily.

The funny part is that after being devoid of good defenders for a long time it would appear we are blessed with a number of good running half backs. Time to develop them in different positions to get the full use out of all?

Blake Acres was super impressive and by the sound of the coach who was behind me for a lot of the game he was impressed with Murdoch's size and mobility.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
mightysainters wrote:Acres form is very very pleasing
Very impressive

We land 3rd gun in Acres and that turn around could be but a draft away....
Two drafts i reckon
2014 draft (pick3)
2 x kpp
1 x fringe mid
1 x pre season draft - big money
Out
Gwilt
Hayes

2015 draft (pick 5)
1 x gun mid
2 x top flankers
1 x free agent
Out
Schneider
Dempster
Fisher
Roo? - hope he hangs on….

up the ladder….

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
falka wrote:See Lee didn't kick a goal and many saying he was poor.

Rapped for Acres
You can only comment on what you see. I think Weller has a presence on the ground that is beyond touches. He was also tagged which will not happen at the moment in the AFL. Lee was very good after halftime when he was on the ball but you have to remember that he will not be a ruckman at AFL level. When he played as a key forward early he was bodily pushed under the ball and off the ball all way to easily.

The funny part is that after being devoid of good defenders for a long time it would appear we are blessed with a number of good running half backs. Time to develop them in different positions to get the full use out of all?

Blake Acres was super impressive and by the sound of the coach who was behind me for a lot of the game he was impressed with Murdoch's size and mobility.

enjoyed hearing your views on the match...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Get Mav to run through Ravioli at the first bounce this week.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-2 ... -breakdown
Maverick Weller
He actually got tagged this week so the opposition did their homework. But despite this, he did really well to have an influence on the game. He worked through it with 18 possessions, 11 tackles and two goals.

The tackling especially was monumental and I don’t make the decisions, but if he does get elevated to the senior list then he deserves it. If not, then I’m sure he will continue to play well for us in the VFL like he has done this year

DEV game
Jason Holmes
Not through form or anything, But Holmesy had to go back because of the alignment agreement and he did well in the ruck.

He also spent some time forward and didn’t kick a goal but his tackling and tap work were excellent. There was one occasion late in the game where he was used and turned onto his left foot, hit up a teammate and it resulted in a goal. So that was pleasing and he’s showing good signs.

Spencer White
He was up forward and we moved him up to on the ball and he actually turned the game on two or three occasions. He was instrumental in the Sandringham win and just getting him up the field meant he had to work a bit harder and he was also not going to be waiting for the ball to come to him – he went and got it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Jason Holmes
Not through form or anything, But Holmesy had to go back because of the alignment agreement and he did well in the ruck.

He also spent some time forward and didn’t kick a goal but his tackling and tap work were excellent. There was one occasion late in the game where he was used and turned onto his left foot, hit up a teammate and it resulted in a goal. So that was pleasing and he’s showing good signs
I know it a long shot, but would like to see the big guy make it

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Saints In VFL - Round 4

Sam Dunell 18 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals
Player Rating: 9

A terrific game for the young Saint and he continues to press his claim for a senior selection. Played as a swingman across halfback and half forward, Dunell used his experience and composure to establish goals throughout the game.

“He is a running machine and is very consistent. He sets everyone up,” said Sandringham Assistant Coach Brendan Allen.

Read entire article - http://www.truezebras.com/saints-in-vfl-round-4/

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Saints In VFL - Round 4

Sam Dunell 18 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals
Player Rating: 9

A terrific game for the young Saint and he continues to press his claim for a senior selection. Played as a swingman across halfback and half forward, Dunell used his experience and composure to establish goals throughout the game.

“He is a running machine and is very consistent. He sets everyone up,” said Sandringham Assistant Coach Brendan Allen.

Read entire article - http://www.truezebras.com/saints-in-vfl-round-4/
comprehensive as usual

wins were great

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

ChelseaGuy wrote:
Jason Holmes

He also spent some time forward and didn’t kick a goal but his tackling and tap work were excellent. There was one occasion late in the game where he was used and turned onto his left foot, hit up a teammate and it resulted in a goal. So that was pleasing and he’s showing good signs
I know it a long shot, but would like to see the big guy make it
Don't want to overhype him or anything, but he is so far ahead of Tommy Walsh its not funny. Has lot to learn still but really do think he is going to make it. Even if he doesnt you know he will give everything he has in him to give it best crack.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

for those who were there- Immediate response to
best on ground? just from looking at the game- not studying the stats?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY