Simpkin as a forward?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin as a forward?

Sammy Hamill type.

Sammy has tried it last year.

Tom played a quarter of the Sandy game there and Huddo gives him a wrap for his intensity and position from memory.

Would have the defensive side to his forward game up and about.

Worth trying for a few weeks?

Or give him an extra game or two at Sandy as a forward and give Siposs the chance to get 3 games in a row?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simpkin as a forward?

Arryn should get a run at it, but agree we should be finding a use for Tom.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's worth a thought - nothing to lose for us at the moment.

For now, I would prefer to give Sippo more consecutive games to see whether he can lift his game.

As BF USA said, perhaps a few games for Simpkin on the forward line at Sandy, may give us a better perspective on the question.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Can't get a game in the backline so I can't see them giving him a game in the forward line anytime soon. It's about as logical as bringing Milera or TDL in to play a back pocket.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, we're getting desperate now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Inaccurate kick.

We have enough of those already.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Worth a try IMO

As maligned as Beau was about his poor marking - we structurally looked better and more dangerous as a team with Beau competing up there and Roo looked better as well with a bustling body blocking for him from time to time.

We look very light on now - if someone doesn't mark it (i.e Roo ) then thats really the end of it. The opposition just stroll it out. At least a big aggressive body sometimes brings it to ground or knocks a defender out of the contest or something. If Sippa or Rhys dont mark it their opponent is ready to work as a receiver straight away as they are never bodied out of it.

At least Tom will be able to block for Roo or knock over the odd defender and create a dangerous situation for our smalls. Would also release Rhys to spend more time up the ground or in the ruck where he is more comfortable.

I mean we cant spend the next 14 weeks sending out the same side because Ill guarantee we will keep getting the same results - and they wont be good.

footynut
Club Player

I just spoke about this in amother thread . People call fir the new hamil, and also say this is a silly idea. Well I actually think it could work, as he's hard, tough, can take a mark & wants to inject himself into the game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day, whoever goes up forward will be only 10% add effective as Roo who will always be the go to man. And Roo will let any player know if they don't go to him if he's in a good position!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:At the end of the day, whoever goes up forward will be only 10% as effective as Roo who will always be the go to man. And Roo will let any player know if they don't go to him if he's in a good position!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:I just spoke about this in amother thread . People call fir the new hamil, and also say this is a silly idea. Well I actually think it could work, as he's hard, tough, can take a mark & wants to inject himself into the game.
I agree. Partly because I like Simpkin and would love to find him a position. I thought he looked OK up forward for Sandy so it's definitely worth a try - plenty of mid-size defenders so we won't exactly miss him at the other end.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I suggested this about a year ago. He's too short for a KPB so worth a try. When he came to the club his highlight reel was all of a running player gathering loose ball and contesting hard. Worth a try.

saint6709
Club Player

I have also posted on Simpkin in the past and also like him..I wanted to give him a go in the middle - somewhat like a josh Kennedy role..... I am living in Sydney so don't get to games like I used to - but I did get to a couple of qtrs. of the swans v hawkes game last week via a mates freebies.

I watched kennedy - still thinking Simpkin - he seemed to roam - at a jog between half forward and half back - as far as I could see not picking up anyone and certainly not displaying elite pace - but looking big and imposing in that space. He got to most of the stopagges in that area and must have also picked up a few lose kicks -- I heard on the radio he got 22 contested possesions and maybe holds the record for most number of 20+ contested since the stat came in.

I would like to see Simpkin given a similar role at the zebs for a month and then see what he can do for the saints

avid
Club Player

I like the idea a lot.
(Mainly because I like Simpkin a lot.)
I'd love to see him take out one or two of those opposition loose backs hanging onto our Nick.
Hamill made it scary for opposition backmen. Simpkin could too.
And maybe pick up a few kicks too -- at least he'd be palying on his own terms, and not trying to spoil a much taller opponent.

Statsman
Club Player

Great idea. He's stuck 3 or 4 deep and boxed in on the rails trying to get a run as a tallish defender once everybody is fit and in the meantime we're crying out for a lead up 3rd tall forward. I'd be happy to give Siposs a few games in a row as a "now or never" opportunity but let's have Simpkin queued up getting experience in that role for the Zebras.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I actually agree,

Whilst he's a natural defender.... And I don't like player being played away from their natural position...... He's not AFL standard as a defender, it's that simple.

Good VFL full back

As a Max Rooke style FWD.... He might demand the ball, give a contest and apply some physical fwd pressure

It's his only chance possibly

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I actually agree,

Whilst he's a natural defender.... And I don't like player being played away from their natural position...... He's not AFL standard as a defender, it's that simple.

Good VFL full back

As a Max Rooke style FWD.... He might demand the ball, give a contest and apply some physical fwd pressure

It's his only chance possibly
Carlisle anyone?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle is an AFL standard key back... But a sook it seems

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I spoke to Tom a few years back when he was on the Rookie list. He said he spent his whole junior career as a forward. St Kilda was the first time he ever played full back and he said he had no idea how to play the position when he first got put there.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
FQF
SS Life Member

Vast majority of key position players were forwards as juniors as far as I know.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Carlisle is an AFL standard key back... But a sook it seems
AFL standard is exactly right or was before they started playing him out of position.

Simpkin is currently not deemed AFL standard, I wouldn't have a clue why but I think whatever the reason is I doubt the coaches are about to experiment by placing him in the forward line of the seniors anytime soon. Maybe they can afford to tinker with him in the forward line at Sandy and see if that works

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure whether Tom is AFL standard in ability?

In the current position, it almost impossible when he gives away 10-15kg to his opponents, if he plays KD and a lot of speed, agility, mobility, endurance if he plays as a medium back

As a medium fwd he could at least give a contest

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I spoke to Tom a few years back when he was on the Rookie list. He said he spent his whole junior career as a forward. St Kilda was the first time he ever played full back and he said he had no idea how to play the position when he first got put there.
And still doesn't. Now we have Delaney and Bruce experiment officially over.