Would love to see some intensity and attack on the footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne
Club Player

Would love to see some intensity and attack on the footy

While it's pretty clear that Gold Coast are the superior team I'd love to see us play the way we did in rounds 1-4.

If we don't win I want to see lots of positive play, and trying other avenues to goal other than the predictable "kick it to Roo".

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would love to see some intensity and attack on the footy

Milne wrote:While it's pretty clear that Gold Coast are the superior team I'd love to see us play the way we did in rounds 1-4.

If we don't win I want to see lots of positive play, and trying other avenues to goal other than the predictable "kick it to Roo".
In retrospect that intensity occurs when you have a new coach who seems to be the messiah, a positive feeling around the club, a few talented new kids running on pure adrenaline and the oldies have had their long term niggly injuries subdued over the preseason. The honeymoon phase is over and we are in the meat and potatoes of it now going deep into the slog of winter with injuries slowing down young and old players. We don't have the battled hardened 50-200 game players who should be carrying the load now. Don't expect quite that same crazy intensity that won us games through sheer pressure. But you do want another tough competitive effort to back up last week and show the hawks game was an anomaly.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Richardson wasn't seen as the messiah Bluthy.

Basically we had two relatively easy games R1 and 2, played well against an ordinary Eagles team and then beat an out of sorts Essendope whose AOD's hadn't kicked in for the week.

We had a pretty fit team with Riewoldt in career best form and the new kids fit and fresh.

We were all surprised that we were 3-2, but in reality most of us would acknowledge that it wouldn't last.

Now with Roo on one leg, and multiple long term injuries to important experienced and KPP players, we are showing the gigantic task Richo has in front of him.

I dont think he had any illusions. What I have want from this year is effort. Like last weeks second half effort, like the WCE effort, like second half v Brisbane. Dont really get upset if we lose, but the effort has to be there.

The first halves v Carlton and Brisbane were unacceptable, and the whole game against Hawthorn was appalling in its lack of effort.

Now , from today, I want the effort and committment shown once again. Probably wont win, but that is not the long game here.

You are garbage - Enough said
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Lots of combined effort from the first bounce, will be a big help. Getting blown away in the first quarter is never a good look!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We have had another year with a backline curse. Gilbert, Fisher, Gwilt, Geary, Wright, Roberton all injured or out of form. Hard to play your best footy with so much experience gone from one area of the team.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We have had another year with a backline curse. Gilbert, Fisher, Gwilt, Geary, Wright, Roberton all injured or out of form. Hard to play your best footy with so much experience gone from one area of the team.
Probably a blessing in disguise...It's fast tracking the development of a few others and providing an environment for Bruce and Delaney to develop a duo.