Jack Billings Rising Star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Billings Rising Star

howlinwolf wrote:Congratulations Jack. :D
It was only a matter of time.
The most skilfull player I have seen in a Saints jumper.
I watched him kick 50m pinpoint on his right (non preferred) yesterday and was amazed.
The guy is just 18 yo.
We have a beauty !
you didn't see the doc or stewart then???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The knee to toe must count as a goal and goal assist.

noob
Club Player

Should give a lot of confidence which we need in the young guys. Kicks further on his non-preferred than Jones on his natural left.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PurpleHayes
Club Player

Wanted to post some of the dribble that was posted over the past week or two regarding Billings:

"If he was any one else he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago! I also think they are asking too much of a kid who has talent but has never played against men. If I had pick 3 now on this years form I would take Aish well ahead, with KK From GCS also a long way in front of Billings.
He is talented there is no doubt but he looks a bit timid at this stage to be rolled out against men each week!"

"For the first time, though, in 18mths I am starting to question our drafting/recruiting strategy. Personally I think Jack is going backwards at a million miles an hour and I don't think as a club we are doing him any favours. He is being played in the ones because he's our first round draft pick and we probably don't have anyone much better to come in for him. His confidence is getting smashed every week. If he was playing in a strong team he would be protected and gifted some soft delivery. He would also be up and down b/w the 1's and 2's as almost all 1st year players are. Restoring his confidence, learning a few more tricks in a less pressure cooker environment, then coming back into the team. I've seen him and a few of the young blokes really struggle these last few weeks. "

"No, he should have been spelled. Two weeks ago.
He was rag dolled last week and again this week he copped a physical lesson
He looks to have lost self belief"

"My concern stems from the fact that Jack missed a straightforward shot at goal in the 1st quarter. I've seen his kicking deteriorate in the last few weeks which suggests to me his confidence is shot."

Just shows how reactionary our supporters are and how high our expectation are.
And how bloody wrong some of the opinions are on here. I'll all for opinions, but maybe Richo and the match committee know what they're doing with Jack!? I have no doubt they would be treading carefully given his age, hype and physical size. I'll commend them on how they have managed the kids thus far.
You'd think it was the apocalypse on here last week after losing to Geelong and Port. So many players labelled 'not up to it' or 'not AFL standard'. An 'honourable' loss VS the eagles and suddenly everything is rosie again on here... Footy is played over a season and not a few weeks - especially when a bottom 4 side plays a top 4 side, we are going to get pumped here and there.

I just ask that when we have our next big loss, take a step back and understand that we are young, inconsistent, inexperienced
and are rebuilding. Cut them some slack. If you want to be a fair-weather supporter then slam the side every time we lose.

Oh and - Billings you star!

Ps where are all of the recruiting sceptics that always bag Pelchen and Bains when a player doesnt turn out to be a star in thier first few games?
Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Longer, Delaney, Weller - all looking the goods to me from last years recruiting crop. Well done to them!

savatage
SS Life Member

Well said PH!

bigballs
Club Player

You could tell right from the start that this kid was going to be special.

Well done Jack.....well deserved!!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Brodie Atkinson
Shane Wakelin
Joel Smith
Brett Moyle
James Begley
Caydn Beetham
Luke Ball
Raphael Clarke
Arryn Siposs
Plenty of Rising Star nominees who didn't go on to be Saints stars! Or at least four of these guys were better elsewhere.
Luke Ball not a star? 142 games, captaincy and a best and fairest would probably suggest otherwise.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Brodie Atkinson
Shane Wakelin
Joel Smith
Brett Moyle
James Begley
Caydn Beetham
Luke Ball
Raphael Clarke
Arryn Siposs
Plenty of Rising Star nominees who didn't go on to be Saints stars! Or at least four of these guys were better elsewhere.
Luke Ball not a star? 142 games, captaincy and a best and fairest would probably suggest otherwise.
Probably right. I still think he's more likely to be regarded a Collingwood great than a St Kilda one. What I'm told is that's definitely the way he considers himself.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Great work Jack Billings - Great start to a career and hoping he has a long and successful one with the saints. I reckon Blake Acres will complete the trifecta by the end of next season!! Those three could form part of the core of our next midfield, exciting times!!

howlinwolf
Club Player

stinger wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:Congratulations Jack. :D
It was only a matter of time.
The most skilfull player I have seen in a Saints jumper.
I watched him kick 50m pinpoint on his right (non preferred) yesterday and was amazed.
The guy is just 18 yo.
We have a beauty !
you didn't see the doc or stewart then???
No Sting. Didn't see either of them play.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Andreous
Club Player

PurpleHayes wrote:Wanted to post some of the dribble that was posted over the past week or two regarding Billings:

Ps where are all of the recruiting sceptics that always bag Pelchen and Bains when a player doesnt turn out to be a star in thier first few games?
Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Longer, Delaney, Weller - all looking the goods to me from last years recruiting crop. Well done to them!

Don't forget Eli

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: Probably right. I still think he's more likely to be regarded a Collingwood great than a St Kilda one. What I'm told is that's definitely the way he considers himself.
He's still playing for Collingwood so it would hard for him to say or think otherwise at the moment.
He'll be lucky to play 100 games for Collingwood at this rate… played twice as many for us as it stands.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Wanted to post some of the dribble that was posted over the past week or two regarding Billings:

"If he was any one else he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago! I also think they are asking too much of a kid who has talent but has never played against men. If I had pick 3 now on this years form I would take Aish well ahead, with KK From GCS also a long way in front of Billings.
He is talented there is no doubt but he looks a bit timid at this stage to be rolled out against men each week!"

"For the first time, though, in 18mths I am starting to question our drafting/recruiting strategy. Personally I think Jack is going backwards at a million miles an hour and I don't think as a club we are doing him any favours. He is being played in the ones because he's our first round draft pick and we probably don't have anyone much better to come in for him. His confidence is getting smashed every week. If he was playing in a strong team he would be protected and gifted some soft delivery. He would also be up and down b/w the 1's and 2's as almost all 1st year players are. Restoring his confidence, learning a few more tricks in a less pressure cooker environment, then coming back into the team. I've seen him and a few of the young blokes really struggle these last few weeks. "

"No, he should have been spelled. Two weeks ago.
He was rag dolled last week and again this week he copped a physical lesson
He looks to have lost self belief"

"My concern stems from the fact that Jack missed a straightforward shot at goal in the 1st quarter. I've seen his kicking deteriorate in the last few weeks which suggests to me his confidence is shot."

Just shows how reactionary our supporters are and how high our expectation are.
And how bloody wrong some of the opinions are on here. I'll all for opinions, but maybe Richo and the match committee know what they're doing with Jack!? I have no doubt they would be treading carefully given his age, hype and physical size. I'll commend them on how they have managed the kids thus far.
You'd think it was the apocalypse on here last week after losing to Geelong and Port. So many players labelled 'not up to it' or 'not AFL standard'. An 'honourable' loss VS the eagles and suddenly everything is rosie again on here... Footy is played over a season and not a few weeks - especially when a bottom 4 side plays a top 4 side, we are going to get pumped here and there.

I just ask that when we have our next big loss, take a step back and understand that we are young, inconsistent, inexperienced
and are rebuilding. Cut them some slack. If you want to be a fair-weather supporter then slam the side every time we lose.

Oh and - Billings you star!

Enjoyable reading! Where's it from? Bigfooty or here?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying he hasen't struggled for a few weeks until Sun?

I think he enjoyed playing in the pristine conditions against the softest opposition in the AFL?

Not saying he wasn't great, or isn't going to be great.... He looks absolutely classy

But, a young body copping a battering.... Luke Ball?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you saying he hasen't struggled for a few weeks until Sun?

I think he enjoyed playing in the pristine conditions against the softest opposition in the AFL?

Not saying he wasn't great, or isn't going to be great.... He looks absolutely classy

But, a young body copping a battering.... Luke Ball?

Joel Selwood. I gather that was directed at me or at least someone else on this forum?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No it wasn't P66.... But anyway...

Didn't know Jack was as physically and mentally mature as Selwood... Or more importantly walking into a team which he won more than 80 of his first 100 games....

But anyway

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Jack was probably only slated to play 5-8 games this year. Will need to be carefully managed so we don't kill him.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Rest assured that Richo, Pelchen and co will no way overcook Billings this year.

They moreso than all of us will know hie true worth and potential and will tread very carefully each week.

I suppose playing in a fwd pocket/flank means he get through a bit more unscathed than say a Dunstan.

Funny thing - I can't remember seeing Billings tackled heavily or bumped hard this year? Just seems to be in the right spots at the right times and avoids the hard hits perhaps? Can anyone comment on this?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I met him at the preseason training and thought he and Eli would be 2 years off. They were still kids. He is amazing considering his size. He was really shy and looked like he would struggle until he got used to the whole AFL lifestyle. He is much more built and obviously has adapted to the game really quickly. He's a freak. Well done Jack.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:Rest assured that Richo, Pelchen and co will no way overcook Billings this year.

They moreso than all of us will know hie true worth and potential and will tread very carefully each week.

I suppose playing in a fwd pocket/flank means he get through a bit more unscathed than say a Dunstan.

Funny thing - I can't remember seeing Billings tackled heavily or bumped hard this year? Just seems to be in the right spots at the right times and avoids the hard hits perhaps? Can anyone comment on this?
I read somewhere that he has copped a "battering"

If so then he must be mentally and physically cooked

But hold on ...... 25 possessions at 100% efficiency and 3 goals says otherwise

Hmmmm ........

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:Rest assured that Richo, Pelchen and co will no way overcook Billings this year.

I read somewhere that he has copped a "battering"

If so then he must be mentally and physically cooked

But hold on ...... 25 possessions at 100% efficiency and 3 goals says otherwise

Maybe he was mentally cooking meth?

Hmmmm ........

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:No it wasn't P66.... But anyway...

Didn't know Jack was as physically and mentally mature as Selwood... Or more importantly walking into a team which he won more than 80 of his first 100 games....

But anyway
It is not Billings fault that Joel Selwood is dumb as dogshit and he is earning as much as he can as quick as he can now

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Jack was probably only slated to play 5-8 games this year. Will need to be carefully managed so we don't kill him.
Don't get this. As long as he's not injured and is better than the 23rd player in the team then he plays. He still needs to play somewhere unless he's injured

Posting 20 years of holey crap!