Actually, it was a good game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Actually, it was a good game...

thejiggingsaint wrote:AND....kudos to the Western Bulldogs team who stayed on the ground to make a guard of honour for Lenny. It did not go unnoticed by this particular barracker, and I say "good on you Doggies! Big respect from the Jiggster!" Its good to see the sporting spirit of the game coming out in such a manner. I didn't go home TOO upset (other than losing the game) about the day. Better days will come again, and it could well be that we'll see LOTS of thrillers between our two clubs, in the not-too-distant future.
Footsacray were just doing what was expected of them and what nearly any other team would've done.

Poor buggers were jealous. Could you imagine if they were on the bottom and got 30K to a home game tribute game for Bob Murphy when he retires? I doubt it!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:AND....kudos to the Western Bulldogs team who stayed on the ground to make a guard of honour for Lenny. It did not go unnoticed by this particular barracker, and I say "good on you Doggies! Big respect from the Jiggster!" Its good to see the sporting spirit of the game coming out in such a manner. I didn't go home TOO upset (other than losing the game) about the day. Better days will come again, and it could well be that we'll see LOTS of thrillers between our two clubs, in the not-too-distant future.
Footsacray were just doing what was expected of them and what nearly any other team would've done.

Poor buggers were jealous. Could you imagine if they were on the bottom and got 30K to a home game tribute game for Bob Murphy when he retires? I doubt it!

What has that last line got to do with anything. Yep I reckon it was good they stayed on the ground especially as he has 3 games to go.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1 from me P66! It was good to see, and if posters like SP can't accept the gesture for what it was worth and the spirit that it was given, then I feel sorry for 'em.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:+1 from me P66! It was good to see, and if posters like SP can't accept the gesture for what it was worth and the spirit that it was given, then I feel sorry for 'em.
I just said it was what was expected what's your problem buddy?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No you didn't just say it was what was expected, and no problem for me "buddy" :D

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:+1 from me P66! It was good to see, and if posters like SP can't accept the gesture for what it was worth and the spirit that it was given, then I feel sorry for 'em.
I just said it was what was expected what's your problem buddy?
What is your problem champ?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:...Could you imagine if they were on the bottom and got 30K to a home game tribute game for Bob Murphy when he retires? I doubt it!
The Dogs have had higher attendances than us this year, so it's quite imaginable. Robert Murphy is a fantastic player and I am quite sure the Dogs fans will give him a great send off when he goes. If it's against the Saints, I would stay and stand to cheer him off.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:...Could you imagine if they were on the bottom and got 30K to a home game tribute game for Bob Murphy when he retires? I doubt it!
The Dogs have had higher attendances than us this year, so it's quite imaginable. Robert Murphy is a fantastic player and I am quite sure the Dogs fans will give him a great send off when he goes. If it's against the Saints, I would stay and stand to cheer him off.
Rob Murphy was a reason why the Dogs never took the next step and even made it to the big dance. Mid-sized, lack of physicality and somehow had the temerity to call out Aka on his professionalism etc.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

looking back at this game and the Freo game the thing that was obvious to me was the kicking efficency ... now we are a young side we have skillfull players no doubt but the issue is when the pressure is high andthe players are under pressure when disposing with foot we tend to be off the mark with our kicks .... in the freo game our kicks were sharp and precise (kind of reminded me of a training session)... putting two and two together i reckon over time we will see the guys get better at dealing with opp pressure and we will see more of the Freo game movements but for the now when a team doesnt pressure us har we will be skilled but when they do press us our skills will go down south ....

one point i will make our tackling was below par this week something i think the coaching staff will want to address

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I had some idiot behind me who let frustration at the probable result, lead them to start yelling at the Bulldogs "go and rattle some tins you mongrels" :roll: :roll: without, I might add, a skerrick of irony at the remark! We all wanted the win for Lenny, it turned out that the better team on the day got the result. Coming out with mean spirited tripe like that hardly helps.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Rob Murphy was a reason why the Dogs never took the next step and even made it to the big dance. Mid-sized, lack of physicality and somehow had the temerity to call out Aka on his professionalism etc.

Stupid comment IMo of course. Rob Murphy was the reason the WB never took the next step. Can you tell us what our issue was and if he is still playing.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i would safely say both prelims the doggies lost was down to one man ...

Nick Riewoldt ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i would safely say both prelims the doggies lost was down to one man ...

Nick Riewoldt ...
Thought Hayes played a big part in the 09 prelim. I just remember him getting the ball forward at every opportunity and Roo doing the rest. Both fantastic on the day.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Foz
Club Player

My review showed the following

Stk 15 9 99 WB 18.14.122
Clearances 3 4 22 Clearances 11.1.67
Clearances 36 Clearances 35
Turnovers 12 5 77 Turnovers 7.11.53
Kick in 0 0 0 Kick Ins 0 2.2

Front Half scores 7.5.47 Front half 10.4.64
Back half scores 8.4.52 Back half 8.10.58

Turnovers received 56 Turnovers rec'd 64
Turnover strike rate 137% Turnover strike rate 82%
Clearance strike rate 61% Clearance strike rate 191%

Gain 85m plus in single chain 21 30

Saints positives

- strong intensity, did damage on WB turnovers and defended own turnovers fairly well.
- majority of scoring generated from back half chains, ability to link up strong. Much drive generated from back half i.e Gilbert

Saints negatives

- Clearances! ability to defend from losing control of the ball. Lack of pace to protect space. Poor structure/set up to prevent the 'get out' - inability to defend the corridor
- minus 16 in contested ball. Ability to win first use albeit Dogs quality mids
- ability to shut the game down at stoppages (high scoring)
- missed tackles (no stats kept) but noticeable at the game
- WB held definite sway with longer, more constructive possession chains

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sounds about right. Good analysis.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I dont recall Ball having much of a game that night, but there again, my memory isn't so good these days :wink: