Melbourne Tanking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Melbourne Tanking

desertsaint wrote:Somehow in this new 'fairer' 'seeded' draw we only get our two closest competitors once. Not much doubt a second meeting with Melbourne would see us win, unless we wanted the no.1 pick more. They are a rabble and any progress they have made just vanished against a team with one on the bench and it's two captains and top forward injured in game, and two of their best in Coniglio and Cameron also unavailable. The wooden spoon looks ours, but we are not the worst team this year.

Not sure I agree with that. Yep they were pathetic today but take out that Freo game and our record in the last 12 weeks is disgracful. If melbourne played they did today against us they would lose but if they played as they have in the last 12 weeks then they would win. We are the worst side IMO and our percentage shows that.

Freebird
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Had lunch with a family member who supports the Dees. Turned the TV on and first thing they complained about was the small crowd.

I subtly pointed out the irony of their comment.

child

<poster warned for baiting>

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm not one to rejoice in another club's woes, but after all the hype regarding the " super coach " recruitment, etc pre-season, I'm even more positive about the direction OUR club is going in!
I'm with you Jiggster. When the Demons kicked the first 2 goals of our round 1 contest the noise coming from their supporters would have you believe they'd made the finals.

If nothing else, I still reckon we generally (and yes, we have played some shockers) are in far better shape than the D's. And we don't have a shameless media tart for a coach.

Saint supporter since '62
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone has been seeing how good the Tyson/Salem trade was.

I think Josh Kelly just said today - hang on a second there.....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone has been banging on how good the Tyson/Salem trade was.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone has been banging on how good the Tyson/Salem trade was.

Still looks a good trade to me. Could be a win win.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Somehow in this new 'fairer' 'seeded' draw we only get our two closest competitors once. Not much doubt a second meeting with Melbourne would see us win, unless we wanted the no.1 pick more. They are a rabble and any progress they have made just vanished against a team with one on the bench and it's two captains and top forward injured in game, and two of their best in Coniglio and Cameron also unavailable. The wooden spoon looks ours, but we are not the worst team this year.

Not sure I agree with that. Yep they were pathetic today but take out that Freo game and our record in the last 12 weeks is disgracful. If melbourne played they did today against us they would lose but if they played as they have in the last 12 weeks then they would win. We are the worst side IMO and our percentage shows that.
Hate to have to agree with this, but the man is right. I have been posting for a while that it is our low percentage which exposes our uncompetitiveness this season. After the first five or six games, we have been in two matches after quarter time.

But that doesn't let Melbourne off the hook. 3 goals against GWS in Melbourne is an absolute disgrace and having seen them in the flesh against Hawthorn a week ago, I would have to say that I hate the direction they are heading in. If I was supporting them I would be pulling my hair out - And if Frawley does leave, they are going to have a very barren next couple of years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

tanking dont think so a=watched the gws game... they where torn up by a much better midfield.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hate to have to agree with this, but the man is right. I have been posting for a while that it is our low percentage which exposes our uncompetitiveness this season. After the first five or six games, we have been in two matches after quarter time.

But that doesn't let Melbourne off the hook. 3 goals against GWS in Melbourne is an absolute disgrace and having seen them in the flesh against Hawthorn a week ago, I would have to say that I hate the direction they are heading in. If I was supporting them I would be pulling my hair out - And if Frawley does leave, they are going to have a very barren next couple of years.
If Frawley does leave Melbourne then for them it will count as one less player spraying the ball all over the place, however, they are not blessed with talls, they are even worse off for Good talls, they are in Shiteville.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

and he can play all over the place too. The. other worry they have is that Melbourne are really boring to watch. Really boring. If they keep going in this vein they will really struggle to attract any supporters to their games at all.
But they beat Essendon, so good luck to them :)

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I feel sorry for their fans. But not for Roos. He now lives in the real coaching world and is not a protected species anymore.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone has been banging on how good the Tyson/Salem trade was.

Still looks a good trade to me. Could be a win win.
Trades are never win/win scenarios.

One team always gets bent over and there is no such thing as mutual victory on the trade table.

So sayeth the bigfooty.com

spert
Saintsational Legend

Roos was pretty right though in identifying that there is a loser culture amongst a lot of the more experienced Melbourne players and maybe they just need to be moved on. I am a bit worried in the case of the Saints, that being flogged game after game is going to create a loser mentality that will be hard to turn around, as I know from playing in some ordinary teams in my younger days, that some guys just didn't see that they had to lift their work ethic beyond their comfort zones to get success against better opposition. I thought the collective effort of our more experienced players against the Swans was very ordinary, and although some got acceptable stats, there was not the gut-busting efforts that could have resulted in more goals, saving goals, more clearances etc. Clearly many have written off their season and are going through the motions, and probably did so weeks ago sadly.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm just hoping we are tanking.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I would concur that there's a "loser culture" at the Demons. Does that make me worry about the Saints building toward a similar case scenario? At this stage; NO. I still believe that with further good recruitment, we can see reason for optimism. I'm pragmatic enough to know that it's going to be tough for a season or so, but for goodness' sake, compare us with Melbourne? If I thought we were ANYWHERE near their performance levels for the past 8 seasons, I'd be VERY worried.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
spert
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I would concur that there's a "loser culture" at the Demons. Does that make me worry about the Saints building toward a similar case scenario? At this stage; NO. I still believe that with further good recruitment, we can see reason for optimism. I'm pragmatic enough to know that it's going to be tough for a season or so, but for goodness' sake, compare us with Melbourne? If I thought we were ANYWHERE near their performance levels for the past 8 seasons, I'd be VERY worried.
No Jigging..I would not compare us to Melbourne, that's for sure, but I am trying see a way out of the tunnel for us. Unfortunately at the moment the non-competitive performances this season are up there with some of the bad stuff I watched in the '80s at Moorabbin...and I saw it warts and all. At the end of the season, what the club does with the playing list will be possibly the biggest test the club has had, as we have dead wood on the list young through to old and need very clever recruiting and trading where possible.. maybe even a mentor in the box with AR who I think has been out of his depth this season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I would concur that there's a "loser culture" at the Demons. Does that make me worry about the Saints building toward a similar case scenario? At this stage; NO. I still believe that with further good recruitment, we can see reason for optimism. I'm pragmatic enough to know that it's going to be tough for a season or so, but for goodness' sake, compare us with Melbourne? If I thought we were ANYWHERE near their performance levels for the past 8 seasons, I'd be VERY worried.
No Jigging..I would not compare us to Melbourne, that's for sure, but I am trying see a way out of the tunnel for us. Unfortunately at the moment the non-competitive performances this season are up there with some of the bad stuff I watched in the '80s at Moorabbin...and I saw it warts and all. At the end of the season, what the club does with the playing list will be possibly the biggest test the club has had, as we have dead wood on the list young through to old and need very clever recruiting and trading where possible.. maybe even a mentor in the box with AR who I think has been out of his depth this season.

Is Roos out of his depth as well? And how did you rate SW coaching last year. Can you tell me how you think AR is out of his depth because all I see is a coach coaching a poor side.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: ....exactly

"

The Giants’ younger players, though, were incredible. Will Hoskin-Elliott had 16 possessions and 3.1 and looked capable of just about anything, Smith had 30 touches and Kelly’s 27 possessions and two goals were dripping with class."

...there's a lesson to be learnt there saints...just hope the pelican isn't bird brained enough to ignore it....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The bottom four last season were GWS, Melbourne, Us, and Western Bulldogs. We played each of the other three teams once. Something not quite right about that.

darylcowie
Club Player

Couldn't agree more, I thought this game would be the most interesting one of the round for just this reason.

Who says tanking doesn't exist?

Still its too little too late, we are montys to lose our last two games and the dees would have to lose by 30+ goals in each of theirs to get anywhere near our pitiful percentage, but they have shown a capacity to do just that in recent years, haven't they?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...there's a lesson to be learnt there saints...
Yes, 13 of their 15 goals were kicked by mids, so if we can turn 1 pick into 2 elite mids, it's a no-brainer…

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Roos was pretty right though in identifying that there is a loser culture amongst a lot of the more experienced Melbourne players and maybe they just need to be moved on. I am a bit worried in the case of the Saints, that being flogged game after game is going to create a loser mentality that will be hard to turn around, as I know from playing in some ordinary teams in my younger days, that some guys just didn't see that they had to lift their work ethic beyond their comfort zones to get success against better opposition. I thought the collective effort of our more experienced players against the Swans was very ordinary, and although some got acceptable stats, there was not the gut-busting efforts that could have resulted in more goals, saving goals, more clearances etc. Clearly many have written off their season and are going through the motions, and probably did so weeks ago sadly.
Year 2 into a total rebuild of the list and we now have a loser mentality?

This rebuild is like most other rebuilds. It takes time and the team losers more than it wins. Simple

spert
Saintsational Legend

"Rebuild" can cover a whole multitude of sins, and smart recruiting and good guidance will help, but it doesn't guarantee anything as there is a lot of outright luck involved in the process. I mentioned that I was concerned that a loser mentality may be created by chronic floggings, and the best way to avert that, is to become competitive and ideally...win. We have become way too uncompetitive this season, and too many players have under-achieved, the body language is not good, and it needs turning around come the start of season 2015.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm not one to rejoice in another club's woes, but after all the hype regarding the " super coach " recruitment, etc pre-season, I'm even more positive about the direction OUR club is going in!
I'd rather be a Saints supporter than a Melbourne, Richmond or Carlton supporter at the moment.