2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

saintbrat wrote:interesting read on another club- trading away a favourite player..
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7073195143
that was to get pick one not give it away as per the position we are in.

saint4life
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Was that pelchen? Who traded croad?

#1 Ryder fan
FQF
SS Life Member

If we lose pick 1 for Jaksch, O'Rourke and pick 4 (which could easily be another ruckman), I will be extremely pissed off.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If we lose pick 1 for Jaksch, O'Rourke and pick 4 (which could easily be another ruckman), I will be extremely pissed off.

Surely that will not happen. Matter of fact it has to be a no way.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:If we lose pick 1 for Jaksch, O'Rourke and pick 4 (which could easily be another ruckman), I will be extremely pissed off.
You know we get a choice in our draft picks, right? No-one's forcing us to pick a ruckman. Petracca and Brayshaw will be gone, that leaves McCartin, Durdin, Lever and Wright. All talls but only one of then is really a ruckman.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

That is nothing to get excited about, not "big, big" anyway.

We get two GWS fringe players who GWS were losing anyway, either for two packets of Samboys from another club or picked up by StK & Melb in the PSD, get pick 4 in a draft that screams picks 2 to 6 are somewhere between Tambling or Lounder reincarnated(???) & GWS get their missing piece to complement their bulging hanger of jets.

For those who prefer multiple picks & longer odds, let's just trade pick 1 for half a dozen rookie picks! Sydney & Hawthorn can't be wrong!

A "big, big" NO from me!!!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:

We get two GWS fringe players who GWS were losing anyway, either for two packets of Samboys from another club or picked up by StK & Melb in the PSD, get pick 4 in a draft that screams picks 2 to 6 are somewhere between Tambling or Lounder reincarnated(???) & GWS get their missing piece to complement their bulging hanger of jets.

For those who prefer multiple picks & longer odds, let's just trade pick 1 for half a dozen rookie picks! Sydney & Hawthorn can't be wrong!

picks 2 and 6 are nothing like being between Tambling and Lounder.

Where do you people get this s*** from? :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:

picks 2 and 6 are nothing like being between Tambling and Lounder.

Where do you people get this s*** from? :roll:
Of course not Bunk, just stressing the point, if that's the deal I'm not happy with it. In this day and age I hope they are going to be better. As long as your happy and by your pretty rolly eyes you obviously are.

saint-stu
Club Player

According to Jaxons in another thread, JOR not coming to the saints.

1ac46a38
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Surely that will not happen. Matter of fact it has to be a no way.
I would have no problems with that trade.
Pick 4 as you have suggested all year is just as likely as 1 to be the best player in the draft.

Jaksch a promising first round key position player, orourke some steak knives.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about JOR, Jaksch & 3 for 1. Both players are fringe/reserve players.

If the shoe was on the other foot would GWS take Sippos, Simpkin & 3 for 1?

I think pick 1 should only be on the table for an elite player not reserve grade guys.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think i'm leaning toward hanging onto pick 1 - and looking at trading out a player to increase currency of our 2nd or 3rd pick. Lets take the cream of this years crop and cross fingers, toes and everything else he can be a great player! Of course some of the 'too good to be true' rumour scenarios would be unbelievable, so if one of them can happen, ie Parker, Cameron, Shiel...I'd be wrapped too...but i'm not too keen on trading 1 for a couple of top 20's. IMO.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Not sure about JOR, Jaksch & 3 for 1. Both players are fringe/reserve players.

I think pick 1 should only be on the table for an elite player not reserve grade guys.
I agree with your sentiment Old Mate - but I don't think we can compare Simpkin and Siposs based on them much lower initial draft picks and also being in the system longer and probably losing trade value. But i completely agree with you view on trading away pick 1 - it nabs a proven gun or we just hang onto it!!

The two fringe players you describe, would still hold a fair bit more trade currency than our boys you've mentioned, but again, I do fully agree with your overall sentiment!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Not sure about JOR, Jaksch & 3 for 1. Both players are fringe/reserve players.

I agree with your sentiment Old Mate - but I don't think we can compare Simpkin and Siposs based on them much lower initial draft picks and also being in the system longer and probably losing trade value. But i completely agree with you view on trading away pick 1 - it nabs a proven gun or we just hang onto it!!

The two fringe players you describe, would still hold a fair bit more trade currency than our boys you've mentioned, but again, I do fully agree with your overall sentiment!
Exactly, chalk & cheese to Siposs & Simpkin.

JOR & Jaksch would both attract a 2nd pick minimum each in a direct trade... Simpkin & Siposs would not find a new home as delisted free agents.

Furphy
Club Player

Is there anyone in the draft who will compensate for the loss of BJ & NDS?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ffs
just use pick one saints

suss
Club Player

I'm all in favour of using pick one unless the offer is so outrageous we can't turn it down. If GWS bundled Boyd and a pick I would consider it - but they won't - I don't think.

The Hodge adage is interesting but there wasn't a GWS equivalent 2001 with gun kids wanting to return to Melbourne.

Will be interesting to see which way we go. We need a key forward and midfield depth more generally and a trade might give us both.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
SaintSimmo
Club Player

If we do happen to trade pick 1 to GWS then I reckon we'd be pretty keen in taking Paul Ahern at pick 4

Sainter for life.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:If we do happen to trade pick 1 to GWS then I reckon we'd be pretty keen in taking Paul Ahern at pick 4
Could do worse. He a nice player. He's one of those that could be the Bontempelli or Lewis Taylor of the draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:If we do happen to trade pick 1 to GWS then I reckon we'd be pretty keen in taking Paul Ahern at pick 4
Could do worse. He a nice player. He's one of those that could be the Bontempelli or Lewis Taylor of the draft.

If he is pick 4 I hope he is better than nice. Those 2 you mentioned are better than nice.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

If he is pick 4 I hope he is better than nice. Those 2 you mentioned are better than nice.
He is not likely to go that early but he is a very good player. You can imagine him being a bolter like those two. There is a heap of players who could go anywhere from about 5th to 20th or so and it will be interesting to see who gets picked where.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Now from where I sit pick 17 for Paddy Rider is a completely fair trade and Essendon should just get on with it. But of course Essendon dont do 'fair.'

Out of interest - if there was a complete meltdown in relations. Could Paddy walk into the PSD and to us and then we could trade him on to Port for something decent - like their pick 17 which they are prepared to give up for him?

Or would this be against the rules?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Now from where I sit pick 17 for Paddy Rider is a completely fair trade and Essendon should just get on with it. But of course Essendon dont do 'fair.'

Out of interest - if there was a complete meltdown in relations. Could Paddy walk into the PSD and to us and then we could trade him on to Port for something decent - like their pick 17 which they are prepared to give up for him?

The PSD is after the trade period, so he would have to spend a year with us.

Seriously, essendon's arrogance is pitiful, they wanted pick 6 for Crameri too - lol. I hope to god they force paddy to invoke his legal right to walk away, they deserve nothing.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Now from where I sit pick 17 for Paddy Rider is a completely fair trade and Essendon should just get on with it. But of course Essendon dont do 'fair.'

The PSD is after the trade period, so he would have to spend a year with us.

Seriously, essendon's arrogance is pitiful, they wanted pick 6 for Crameri too - lol. I hope to god they force paddy to invoke his legal right to walk away, they deserve nothing.
And if he was out of contract, he's been at the Junkies long enough to be a free agent, so he's just walk to Port anyway.