Official Saints Trade thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Saints Trade thread

Saints have sent members a trade day update- from Ameet baines
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2013-10- ... day-1-wrap

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:whats Hickey ?
say if Longer is our first ruck .. Hick would be our second ruck with Lewie Peirce as the third option .... and a last resort Holmes

Hickey is a ruckman as is Pierce, Holmes and Longer. None have shown any ability to play at least 60% as forwards. We are stock piling forwards and ruckmen but getting rid of Stanley would lose our only second ruck option. Its a very risky strategy especially as we seem to be stockpiling the most important players on the ground and they are mids. I actually don't mind Membury but its bloody confusing why we gave Lee another year especially as it seems we had our eye on Membury for a while.
so basically you are saying we have 4 ruckmen but we cant trade Stanley because we wont have a second ruckman ???

lets be honest here Stanley still hasnt shown in consistant games he is capable of being an Effective forward either... Lee has the goods he just needs to a) get his body right and b) get a consistant run of games to develop more and c) (something all our forwards could benifit from) get some consistantly sound delivery into the forward line ...

Im first to know Stanley hasn't done much at all yet but I don't care if we have 10 ruckmen, none of them can play as a forward. As for Lee well apart from showing bugger all he isn't a second ruckman and never will be. Tell me who would be our second ruckman if Stanley left and how would the forward line work with this second ruckman?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree that Stanley is best to give a chop out in the ruck,imo is good at it too

Roo,Lee,White,Siposs,Bruce?,Membury,Stanley,thats 7 I can think of,into 3 spots.Better to have too many than not enough ?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Agree that Stanley is best to give a chop out in the ruck,imo is good at it too

Roo,Lee,White,Siposs,Bruce?,Membury,Stanley,thats 7 I can think of,into 3 spots.Better to have too many than not enough ?
You can't count Lee or Sippa as they aren't AFL standard

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bergsone wrote:Agree that Stanley is best to give a chop out in the ruck,imo is good at it too

Lovely.

bergsone
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:

But they are on the list,so must be factored in

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Thread completely derailed as per usual...

Anyways I personally believe longer can be a ruck forward type in the future. Hickey a pure ruckman

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Thread completely derailed as per usual...

Anyways I personally believe longer can be a ruck forward type in the future. Hickey a pure ruckman

Longer averages one mark a game and has had 3 shots at goal in 23 games. And its on topic because someone was happy to lose Stanley and then we were working out how the rucks, forwards would work.

Gershwin
Club Player

St Kilda's Ahmeet Bains says that the club are "hopeful it'll be in the next 24-48 hours" with a deal struck between GWS and the Saints for Jonathan O'Rourke.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Must agree with others here....we need midfield ability badly IMO not sure why we are loading up on forwards.......lets hope 2/3 make it then at least we become less predictable than ''lets kick it to Roo''

That said.....a trade period where we end up with Orourke, Jacques(?), Membrey and IF we keep pick 1 for Petracca AND offload another player to get back another higher pick might be ok...

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Must agree with others here....we need midfield ability badly IMO not sure why we are loading up on forwards.......lets hope 2/3 make it then at least we become less predictable than ''lets kick it to Roo''

That said.....a trade period where we end up with Orourke, Jacques(?), Membrey and IF we keep pick 1 for Petracca AND offload another player to get back another higher pick might be ok...
I agree.

To pick up O'Rourke (swap round 2 / 3 trade positions) & Membrey (4th / 5th round), hold on to Pick 1 for Petracca and somehow hold on to our 2nd & 3rd picks, I think we are building a great young list with still a couple more years of early picks ahead, more mids, key backs, power forwards.

A bonus would be Lyons in the PSD.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

okay so in summary:

Pick 1
Is on the table
Is unlikely to be traded unless an irresistible trade offer comes
Said offer will be separate to any deals involving Jaksch/O'Rourke
No particularly worthwhile offers so far
Will most likely be used for Petracca or McCartin

Tim Membrey has requested a trade to the Saints
Sydney have stated they aren't opposed and the club is looking to make it happen
General sense seems to be that he is worth between a 3rd and 4th round pick

Jaksch has nominated Carlton as his club of preference

Saints are hopeful that we will get O'Rourke - doesn't sound like discussions have progressed

Reports were floated that Armitage in exchange for pick 11 was being considered
This has been hosed down by the club who state that Armitage has not been discussed

There are discussions between us and Port RE a trade for Milera

Statsman
Club Player

I can't see how we can keep pick #1, trade for the likes of Membrey, Jaksche or O'Rourke and maintain a few draft picks for young prospects unless we're trading out a couple of quality players or marching somebody to the PSD.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
PJ
SS Life Member

1/Weller stays on the rookie list

2/Schneids isn't given another position on the list

3/A player is traded out

4/Milera is either traded or delisted

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Statsman
Club Player

I get that we have the room on our list. I was thinking more about the need to give up quality to get quality. With that in mind, I don't see how we can maintain our draft picks and bring in good young kids via trades unless we are giving up quality established players in return. We might get a late draft pick for Milera, but that wouldn't be high enough to flip for a O'Rourke, Jaksche or even a Membrey. With the desire for "3 picks in the top 20" you wouldn't think giving up our early picks is high on the agenda either. Therefore if we are going after good young players like O'Rourke and Jaksche we are either prepared to sacrifice early draft picks or we are willing to trade away a quality established player. The only other option would be to get ones of them via the PSD. If we are willing to trade an established player, who has enough currency to get us a quality kid in return?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
ace
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:hope that's not 3 way including pick 1 for jacks/orourke cause I think that's a spud deal.....

get membrey anyway but grab Petracca FFS we need cream not also rans who cant get games in their current sides.
Do we want a player in our premiership contending side of the future, who could not get a game in the premiership losing side this year.
As Teflon says we need cream not skim milk.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

FULL cream
even going to the stage of, remember when you were a kid and the milkman used to deliver milk to your doorstop and it was in glass bottles with a silver lid and under that silver lid the first inch was PURE cream before you got to the milk..PURE CREAM.

thats what we want 8-)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:okay so in summary:

Pick 1
Is on the table
Is unlikely to be traded unless an irresistible trade offer comes
Said offer will be separate to any deals involving Jaksch/O'Rourke
No particularly worthwhile offers so far
Will most likely be used for Petracca or McCartin

Tim Membrey has requested a trade to the Saints
Sydney have stated they aren't opposed and the club is looking to make it happen
General sense seems to be that he is worth between a 3rd and 4th round pick

Jaksch has nominated Carlton as his club of preference

Saints are hopeful that we will get O'Rourke - doesn't sound like discussions have progressed

Reports were floated that Armitage in exchange for pick 11 was being considered
This has been hosed down by the club who state that Armitage has not been discussed

There are discussions between us and Port RE a trade for Milera
Does the trade for Milera also involve O'Shea ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Teflon wrote:hope that's not 3 way including pick 1 for jacks/orourke cause I think that's a spud deal.....

get membrey anyway but grab Petracca FFS we need cream not also rans who cant get games in their current sides.
Do we want a player in our premiership contending side of the future, who could not get a game in the premiership losing side this year.
As Teflon says we need cream not skim milk.

He is 20 years old and he was behind Franklin, Tippett and Goodes. Im not sure you can put a line through his name just yet. Tom Hawkins didnt get a game behind Nathan Ablett at a similar age hows he looking?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
FQF
SS Life Member

Talk is that Carlton might trade their pick 7 for Jaksch and pick 18.

If GWS have 7 it might make the pick 1 trades more enticing for us.

Kernal75
Club Player

Carlton have already state that their first pick is not on the table. He was pick 12 two years ago and hasn't played much. It's hard to see how his value has increased in that time. More likely is tier second round pick

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Kernal75 wrote:Carlton have already state that their first pick is not on the table. He was pick 12 two years ago and hasn't played much. It's hard to see how his value has increased in that time. More likely is tier second round pick
Cough, Tom Lynch. What did we get out of Lynch? Scenario can't be too dissimilar.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who are Carlton going to get pick 18 from? GWS has'nt got it. If you are going to post crap, make it accurate crap please.

Rosco
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Who are Carlton going to get pick 18 from? GWS has'nt got it. If you are going to post crap, make it accurate crap please.
GWS has an end of rd 1 pick, not 18 but 21. Probably meant that one. Doesn't bode well for the rumour.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-06/f ... raft-order

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Does the trade for Milera also involve O'Shea ?
Though our interest in O'Shea came up earlier in the week... it has not formally been reported yet in trade discussions