Tim membrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim membrey

Hurricane wrote:Highlights package is encouraging. He's a good size, got good hands and his disposal and kicking for goal look really good.

Can't wait to see him lining up for us next season

BANG BANG
Great to hear. One senior game in 2 years is also encouraging. That's one more than Tommy got!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Highlights package is encouraging. He's a good size, got good hands and his disposal and kicking for goal look really good.

BANG BANG
Great to hear. One senior game in 2 years is also encouraging. That's one more than Tommy got!
For a start thats incorrect. Walsh played seniors for Sydney.

Secondly when Walsh was at St.Kilda he didn't have the likes of Franklin, Goodes, Tippett, and Reid in front of him like Membrey has,

Thirdly Membrey is 20 not 25

Fourthly Membrey has the most colourful tat ever seen on an AFL footballer. Walsh didn't measure up at all in the aspect

You are garbage - Enough said
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

BANG BANG

Secondly when Walsh was at St.Kilda he didn't have the likes of Franklin, Goodes, Tippett, and Reid in front of him like Membrey has,

Fourthly Membrey has the most colourful tat ever seen on an AFL footballer. Walsh didn't measure up at all in the aspect
Would have been the dumbest one

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

BANG BANG

Good points. We don't have enough tatts in our team so I'll go back on what I've said and let's throw thw house at this one hit wonderkind!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
sax
Club Player

I wonder if the Saints would consider our 3rd rounder for Membrey & Shane Biggs as the steak knives.
Apparently he wants to go home to Victoria for more opportunity.
He has shown a bit in his 6 games. Two of which were finals last year!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:I wonder if the Saints would consider our 3rd rounder for Membrey & Shane Biggs as the steak knives.

Please no more of these players who haven't made it. We have about 35 on our list as it is. Surely we are better to take a punt on a kid that could be good or bad. Its better to try and fail than not try at all.

falka
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
sax wrote:I wonder if the Saints would consider our 3rd rounder for Membrey & Shane Biggs as the steak knives.

Please no more of these players who haven't made it. We have about 35 on our list as it is. Surely we are better to take a punt on a kid that could be good or bad. Its better to try and fail than not try at all.
Agree, the irony is we could have taken Membrey instead of TDL.

If we did, we could have maybe offered O'Rourke more and not missed out (as it looks we have)

Its Ok to target some fringe players, but a list of them is not helping.

sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

He is behind a pretty handy midfield plugger! A fair bit better than ours. He has pace & good skills.
On BigFooty the Swans supporters don't really want him to leave! A lot saying they would prefer Biggs over Rhys Shaw!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think we are chasing players more we want picks so i cant see us going for a steak knives kind of deal ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He is behind a pretty handy midfield plugger! A fair bit better than ours. He has pace & good skills.
On BigFooty the Swans supporters don't really want him to leave!

He maybe and he may end up being a nice player but it gives us 2 picks in the draft. Hardly going to turn the club around. And if he is steak knives then that doesn't say much about how Sydney rate him.

howlinwolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I'm with you here plugger. We have too much mediocrity. All great guys no doubt.
Being a loyal sort of person I hate to see them go but they aren't going to win us a premiership.
We need some gun players in. That's what got us some respect in the last decade.
I want to experience that pride again.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How come the trade for the Membrane is taking so long, surely the Swans aren't haggling for our 2nd round pick :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:How come the trade for the Membrane is taking so long, surely the Swans aren't haggling for our 2nd round pick :shock:
Swans were waiting to see what FA compo that get for Nick Malceski

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Razzledazzle

My thoughts are simple. The Saints record for recruiting and arguably recycling players from other Clubs is not impressive. Let's stick to possibility of picking future champions including goal kickers great from the rich spoils on offer in the draft or at least encouraging those already at the Club to step up to the plate. I for one prefer on gambling upon the fruits from the draft and pass up a player that has struggled to establish himself at another Club. kep and use all and the earliest draft picks for long term future of the Club. Go Sainters.

Fidelis
Club Player

For what it's worth, the Facebook AFL 2014 Off-Season page says this about Membrey:
Sydney are contemplating allowing Tim Membry walk to St Kilda via the preseason draft, as they are unsure of how many draft picks they will utilise next month since taking three of its academy players.

The Swans hold two live picks, 39 and 57 but may allow Membry to move freely to St Kilda, despite the Saints happy to trade for the forward.

If it's true they're unlikely to use the pick we're likely to give them, I suspect we'd prefer to still give them a high pick and save the preseason #1 pick for leverage of for snaffling someone else

Faithful Even Unto Death
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the Membrey's

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Draft Radio just rated Heeney at #3.

Swans getting him at pick 18 is another major bonus/advantage for them.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Draft Radio just rated Heeney at #3.

Its just another advantage that isnt given to most clubs. The AFL dont even try and hide there bias for Sydney.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
suss
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Draft Radio just rated Heeney at #3.

Its just another advantage that isnt given to most clubs. The AFL dont even try and hide there bias for Sydney.
Demons offered pick 2. Emma Quayle rates him pick 1. This zone garbage is a throw back to the 80s and another stupid policy that undermines what should be the ultimate AFL agenda - equality for all clubs.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We could have recruited Membrey in 2012 but chose Wright, White , Saunders and Murdoch before his name was called.
Puts it in perspective for me.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:We could have recruited Membrey in 2012 but chose Wright, White , Saunders and Murdoch before his name was called.
What perspective is that zed?

Membrey is a medium forward, only one remotely like that is White who is more a Key Forward, Wright is a defender, Saunders and Murdoch are mids.

Minus on membrey is he is a Podsiliadly type catch and kick player. needs more to be an AFL player

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Razzledazzle wrote:My thoughts are simple. The Saints record for recruiting and arguably recycling players from other Clubs is not impressive. Let's stick to possibility of picking future champions including goal kickers great from the rich spoils on offer in the draft or at least encouraging those already at the Club to step up to the plate. I for one prefer on gambling upon the fruits from the draft and pass up a player that has struggled to establish himself at another Club. kep and use all and the earliest draft picks for long term future of the Club. Go Sainters.
I think if you look hard enough all clubs have duds from other clubs
for every Brian Lake there is a Kyle Cheney

We have had Schneider, Dempster, Penny, Hamill, Voss, and now we have a couple that look like they will go on with it in Longer etc

All this rubbish about a non established player, really

If Membrey was say player #28 ranked at the Swans, still puts him in front of most at St K FC

Hard task to establish yourself ahead of arguably the strongest tall forward line in the comp, who does he replace in the Swans forward line

Especially now with Goodes playing on, his chances still don't improve

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Zed wrote:We could have recruited Membrey in 2012 but chose Wright, White , Saunders and Murdoch before his name was called.

Membrey is a medium forward, only one remotely like that is White who is more a Key Forward, Wright is a defender, Saunders and Murdoch are mids.

Minus on membrey is he is a Podsiliadly type catch and kick player. needs more to be an AFL player
I reckon our recruiting guys have done a reasonable job in the last 2 drafts and generally speaking the guys we have picked haven't been majorly outperformed by later picks ie we got the best available talent at that pick.

So assuming they were using the 'best available' methodology in 2012 - then it shows you where they ranked him at the time. I think Wright will definitely make it (assuming he doesn't keep breaking bones), but the jury is still out on White, Saunders & Murdoch. Membrey for me sits on the outer edge of that bracket - no quick fix and still another couple of years away from knowing whether he will make it. A 50/50 proposition.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I reckon our recruiting guys have done a reasonable job in the last 2 drafts and generally speaking the guys we have picked haven't been majorly outperformed by later picks ie we got the best available talent at that pick.

So assuming they were using the 'best available' methodology in 2012 - then it shows you where they ranked him at the time. I think Wright will definitely make it (assuming he doesn't keep breaking bones), but the jury is still out on White, Saunders & Murdoch. Membrey for me sits on the outer edge of that bracket - no quick fix and still another couple of years away from knowing whether he will make it. A 50/50 proposition.

Yeah a bit of a risk, but who knows.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Zed wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Yeah a bit of a risk, but who knows.
Theres risk on all recruiting, how many #1 DPs have gone on with it

It's all about calculating and minimising the risk

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights