Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

Armagizmo wrote:I think that's a win for us. Stanley has shown bits and pieces but it's good to see Pelchen trying to build a culture where not good enough is pegged as not good enough and shown the door.

Maybe we'll even make a play for Boyd after next year.
+1 :D

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to Rhys.....I for one really enjoyed watching him play and develop....can become a really good player...as always it is up to him. Hope he goes well at the Cats

Nee!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:I hope like hell we get Nakia Cockatoo or someone good that comes on quick to dull the loss. If Stanley kicks 6 goals in his first game or something my head will explode.
Haha I guarantee you he will not kick 6 goals.

Perhaps for the VFL side, but even that has never even been close to happening, so your head should remain in tact..

Spencer White equalled Rhys's best ever goal return in a match in his first game...

Incredible how this guy has been overrated in the last 48 hours.

At AFL level, he can barely play. We have won this trade big time.

For a bit of perspective, he's a poor mans Jesse White.. Would you trade pick 21 for Jesse White 2 years ago?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I really hope we take Caleb Daniel with the pick we got for Rhys. Would be a hilarious comparison to make for the next few years.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
gringo wrote:I hope like hell we get Nakia Cockatoo or someone good that comes on quick to dull the loss. If Stanley kicks 6 goals in his first game or something my head will explode.

Perhaps for the VFL side, but even that has never even been close to happening, so your head should remain in tact..

Spencer White equalled Rhys's best ever goal return in a match in his first game...

For a bit of perspective, he's a poor mans Jesse White.. Would you trade pick 21 for Jesse White 2 years ago?
I agree with sobraz.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:

+1.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Good luck Rhys I hope the Cats turn you into the player you hoped to be!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
falka
Club Player

Heart says bad idea
Head says good deal
Will wait to see what player we get.
Cockatoo will be gone by our pick. Nth keen as

falka
Club Player

Just quick one, Anyone else wish we could get Membrey for a pick swans won't use - just them being nice and then get say Jaksch to walk in draft? Just feel we ain't utilising pick 1 psd effectively

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
.....In the case of Port and Hawthorn they're actually light on for big rucking types who can play as key forwards. Hawthorn use Roughhead to fill the breach from time to time and, again, that's an elite forward becoming versatile because of need.

2 of the top 3 don't see the same importance in having lots of big blokes to ruck and play forward, as some others do.....
The bigtime Hawker have McEvoy, Hale & (to a lesser extent) Ceglar who are 'big rucking types who can play as key forwards' and Roughead being a big forward who can play ruck.

For depth they also have Lowden, another Ruck/Fwd type plus Grimley a Fwd/Ruck. So I doubt they are 'light on' for this type of player.

FWIW Geelong have McIntosh, Blicavs, Vardy, Simpson, Walker & now Mitch Clark & Stanley who are Ruck/Fwd types.....looks like they value the Ruck/Fwd as well
In the context of Stanley being rated a (potentially) capable ruckman who can play key forward (not just go forward), as a versatile type, I'd suggest Hale is the only one at Hawthorn who can claim to be able to fill such a role - at a pinch, and not for significant parts of seasons - his best was when Franklin and Roughead were together, and he'd get the lesser light defender to exploit. They've used Roughhead in that role when the other rucking types have been hurt or playing at Box Hill because of form/ability. More often than not, when Roughead goes into the middle (which he does quite a bit) he stays on the deck while some other fella jumps up in the air. McEvoy's no chance to play as a key forward, Ceglar's off the rookie list and having a crack as a crash and bash rucking type. Yeah, he's pushed forward and kicked a few goals - he is playing with Hawthorn, and that helps an awful lot. Wouldn't know Grimley if he popped up in me Weeties.

So, yeah, they've got lots of big blokes, just not so many big blokes who can claim to be viable options as key forwards, for any significant part of a season.

My contention earlier was based on Stanley having the key forward string to the bow.

Out of the Geelong list, McIntosh can do similar things to Hale up forward, but he's shown no signs of becoming more robust than he's been in recent years (one of the reasons they've taken Stanley, I reckon). Blicavs has shown ziltch up forward - he's a steeplechaser playing footy. Vardy shows plenty of promise as a footballer, with fine athleticism, but he can't stay on the park - he's had an awful lot of operations, including corrective ones, and lots of lengthy periods out. I haven't seen any evidence of Simpson being any great shakes up forward. Walker seems to me to be pretty much a KPP only, but I may be wrong. Mitch Clarke has shown proficiency at both, but he's a mighty big risk given his injury history (I'm offering no comment on the other stuff).

Again, plenty of numbers, but not much quality or continuity to lay claim to key forward capability.

Both clubs have the luxury of stockpiling a few big blokes because they have top notch, robust, experienced midfields. But, while they might have stockpiles they very rarely play many of 'em at once. The better example is Hawthorn - when Frankin left they altered the way they played, rather than getting conned into thinking a player, ruck type, might be able to become a viable key forward option.

And Geelong played an awful lot of games this year with Hawkins as their only big in the front half.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Dont love this trade

Am not convinced we dame out on top
Agree!

damienc
Club Player

Armagizmo wrote:I think that's a win for us. Stanley has shown bits and pieces but it's good to see Pelchen trying to build a culture where not good enough is pegged as not good enough and shown the door.

Maybe we'll even make a play for Boyd after next year.

Great Post. Agree with you 100 percent.

older saint
SS Life Member

Probably more than any other trade of recent times, even McEvoy I feel in 5 years time there will be a clear winner and a clear loser - just not sure which way !

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

History tells us - in the past year or two, anyway - that picks after pick 50 are either totally speculative or not used. Geelong will be 50-50 to use this pick.

So it's basically Stanley for #21.

It's a win in terms of where Stanley is at, and the fact he's unlikely to do things differently if he stays with us.

It's a loss in the fact that he's probably going to be a very decent player in a new environment around the 26-28 age mark, capable of playing any number of roles due to his size, strength, skill and experience.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

absolute pricks......the guy who runs my gym says that the saints have lost the f****** plot...i agree with him 100%

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-10-1 ... nley-trade

i will be writing to the president...and every time that rhys helps geelong do us over...i will be writing to him again.......they can beg all they like for money from me next year...they will get zilch.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:absolute pricks......the guy who runs my gym says that the saints have lost the f****** plot...i agree with him 100%

i will be writing to the president...and every time that rhys helps geelong do us over...i will be writing to him again.......they can beg all they like for money from me next year...they will get zilch.....
You might as well quit posting too if you're giving the club away.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:absolute pricks......the guy who runs my gym says that the saints have lost the f****** plot...i agree with him 100%

bad news for you....i'm not giving the club away...just showing my disapproval of their shitty recruitment policy which i happen to disagree with....only avenue i have....and what i choose to do is none of your business anyway.....

Schillaci
Club Player

Didn't like it yesterday and still don't like it. Rhys can play. Pick 21 better work out. Cats get a player and we might.
We just got a bit worse.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

what a load of over reactionary crap, you make it sound like Rhys was the second coming!! He has been a fringe player at best his entire career, he has freakish athletic ability but he hasn't shown anything resembling desire or aggression for the contest.

Lewis Pierce will make us all say "Rhys who?" within 12 months.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:and what i choose to do is none of your business anyway.....
Unfortunately it is as you dribble it on here frequently.

Are you really going to withhold supporting the club financially because we have traded Rhys Stanley for a first round draft pick? Sounds very childish to me.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:

bad news for you....i'm not giving the club away...just showing my disapproval of their shitty recruitment policy which i happen to disagree with....only avenue i have....and what i choose to do is none of your business anyway.....
Club strategy for dealing with Stinger's repeated angry rants:

Mr. Stinger. Stop.
Your constant letters are becoming a nuisance. Stop.
If you do not cease, I will be forced to pursue legal action. Stop.
Signed, Matt Finnis.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 15 Oct 2014 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Supporters like you make me laugh. Stop living in fairy land!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Everyone but Saints supporters are saying we have won this trade hands down.

Not unusual for supporters to overrate their own players.

You are garbage - Enough said
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Everyone but Saints supporters are saying we have won this trade hands down.

Not unusual for supporters to overrate their own players.
Yeah I think nearly everyone on here over rates him. I agree with the saints supporter who rang up trade radio earlier and said the best thing Rhys Stanley has done in his carer was winning the grand final sprint :lol: He also said that saints supporters need to het behind Pelchen and what he's doing with the list as he has built 2 premiership list's at the past 2 clubs he's been at. Couldn't agree more with him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Didn't like it yesterday and still don't like it. Rhys can play. Pick 21 better work out. Cats get a player and we might.
We just got a bit worse.

think that's the aim....deskill the side to ensure that we finish down the bottom...and f*** the sponsers and the supporters....