GWS now have 4, 6, 7 to trade for pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS now have 4, 6, 7 to trade for pick 1

Con Gorozidis wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:What about 1, Montagna and 40 for 4, 6, 7? I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

If we managed to keep 4,6,7,21,22 I would have a party with free booze.
ive taken a screen shot of this peoples
its all good 8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Why is everyone intent on disbelieving Jaxons? If he said it was likely then I am satisfied that GWS are strongly considering it - remembering they haven't got 7 from Carlton yet.

It would be a good result for the club, but when you look at the GWS list dynamics it would be a good result for them also. GWS don't have any real list shortfalls that is why they are prepared to trade their excess players such as Boyd, Jaksch, ORourke and Frost. They will bring in Griffen and a very good mid in Petracca who will be there future grunt player!
They have 7.

4,6 & 7 for pick 1 is insane that's why I am doubting that deal. I am looking forward to Con's party… I am very thirsty.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

brewski wrote:does anyone realize why this is so appealing to GWS??

because after Petracca the others aren't really rated,

they want the only good pick up this year, we need to hold draft pick 1 and pillage (slight edit) GWS for forwards later
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Well, I sure got one right when I posted that "you should post more often" B. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ace
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:4,6 and 7 for 1 21 22

thoughts
OK If you twist my arm.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

It's all still hypothetical, but if we get 4,6,7 and also use 21,22 surely that would mean a few more traded out or delisted.

kalsaint
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
FQF wrote:Can I just ask, if this is such a good trade for us, then why would GWS do it?

Are they stupid?

Is Petracca worth more to them than to us?

I actually don't quite understand why GWS would sell the house for Petracca while we are so willing to trade him away.

Because GWS, just like the Gold Coast before them, have to reduce the numbers on their list !! They have the exact opposite problem we do. They are willing to unload multiple really good draft picks to get one outstanding draft pick. GWS are actually doing exactly what they need to do here (if they trade 4, 6, 7 for our pick 1). They bring in an elite senior midfielder, and another number one pick, and trade out kids that wanted to go home due to lack of game time etc. to make it happen. They reduce their list size and only bring in elite talent. We just happen to be in the right place at the right time to be the beneficiaries of their needs. Jaksch, Whiley & pick 19 for pick 7. Neither kid was a regular, and pick 19 to GWS is like pick 60 to us. If they're smart they'll do the same thing again next year too. They'll bundle up players and picks that are attractive to standard clubs to work up the draft order or land top end senior players.

Their list is still 48 players and they need to get that down to 40 !! Plus they still need to bring players in via the draft every year like everyone else. They will be expecting more kids to want out next year too, so watch for them working that into top end picks and class senior players, probably for another two years. They also have one problem that the Suns don't. Most kids would be happy to live on the Gold Coast to play footy, can't necessarily say the same for Western Sydney
The nos at GWS wont affect their strategy. They will delist others to get this balanced and possibly trade players with picks rather than just rollover to the Saints. This was never going to be a simple swap for the Saints.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Why is everyone intent on disbelieving Jaxons? If he said it was likely then I am satisfied that GWS are strongly considering it - remembering they haven't got 7 from Carlton yet.

It would be a good result for the club, but when you look at the GWS list dynamics it would be a good result for them also. GWS don't have any real list shortfalls that is why they are prepared to trade their excess players such as Boyd, Jaksch, ORourke and Frost. They will bring in Griffen and a very good mid in Petracca who will be there future grunt player!
They have 7.

4,6 & 7 for pick 1 is insane that's why I am doubting that deal. I am looking forward to Con's party… I am very thirsty.
Apologies I didn't know the Carlton deal had gone through! It would be insane but I could understand it from GWS perspective, they will most likely only have two live picks why not make the first the best!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I would only consider this deal if... Cameron, 6 and 7 for Pick 1, or no deal.

This ensures we don't waste pick 4 on McOneTrickin... coz that would then amount to picks 6&7 for Petracca,
which might put things into a bit more perspective...

We've got what they want. :twisted:

They will lose Cameron in the 2015 PSD for nuthin' otherwise. :twisted:

We hold all the cards here.

And yes, we then liberate Petracca in the 2016 PSD. :twisted:
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Wed 15 Oct 2014 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
SideshowMilne
Club Player

4,6&7 for 1&21. Not another experienced player out please.

kalsaint
Club Player

Linton Street Saint wrote:
matrix wrote:
Linton Street Saint wrote:Love the fact that everyone is saying this won't happen like they are in the know.

If Jaxons says 4,6,7 for 1 is most likely you can bet your house that it's most likely to happen.

Runs on the board.
:lol:
no one is saying it wont happen becasue they are in the know
its jsut that would you swap 3 top 8 picks for pick one??
no
neither would 99% of us

its everyones opinion not because everyone is in the know
if jax says look out it will happen then its disbelief from us because we cannot believe gws would do it

nothing to do with being 'in the know' :roll: 8-)
GWS will do this because they have the hots for Petracca, they have too much young talent as it is. Can't fit another 3 18 year olds on the list waiting to get home again.

More value in keeping Petracca a Giant than trying to convince 3 others all trying to squeeze into the same midfield to stay in GWS in 2 years time.
Matrix is right. IMHO They wont compromise the quality picks for 1 based on the above. They will have Boyd to replace.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GWS have such a good midfield they will have soon to say to gun players - hey you dont mind playing NEAFL for 5 years do you?

kalsaint
Club Player

Linton Street Saint wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Dont think GWS need 3 new 18 year olds on thier already young list.

1 good one would be enough.
Your kidding are you? The have so many option new in terms of picks for players and I am sure they wont toss the 3 picks for the #1 pick. I seriously doubt they would toss them in for #1 , 21 and 22.

I know most here are bullish but the Saints have seemd to sat on their hands while others struck up deals that now wont make the remaining options favourable for the Saints. We will keep the #1 pick as they wont be prepared to lose now.

They might swallow 1 and 21 for 4 and 7 but I'm even doubtful about that.
Such a pessimist ;) I'll back in $50 that we don't have no.1 draft pick by 2pm tomorrow. You can't lose :P
I wont bet the $50 as I am not sure of other clubs strategies and needs. However, throwing in the 21 and 22 picks might be the only enticement to get this done with the current knowledge. I'm assuming GWS would take "the big fella" as replacement for Boyd but may opt for keeping what they have and trade or delist current players for list management.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

More perspective...

Petracca is as close as you're likely to get to a 'sure thing'.

Picks 4,6,7... lets be optimist and say that two of those three 'make it'.
(Remember, the Pelican is into the numbers game coz he knows that many players simply don't live up to their expectations.)

So that actually makes the real question to consider here...

Will two blokes picked in the middle of the top 10 be likely to end up worth more than Petracca...?

IMHO, I would say this is unlikely. Stick with the sure thing... Petracca.

That's why the only version of this deal I'd even look at is if Cameron (another sure thing) is included...
but again, why not lock-in Petracca this year, and get Jerry in the 2015 PSD...?
(Last I heard, Jerry still won't extend his contract with the Wogans.)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Would GWS really give up DP 4, 6 & 7 for 1 ? Two of them yes, but not all three. Thought they might try and keep one high DP to replace Boyd (and Patton for 2015) but supposedly they must be red hot on Petracca - I wouldn't do it if I was GWS list manager.

Still really want Petracca but gee that would be a massive deal.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 15 Oct 2014 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Kernal75
Club Player

Only way the deal gets done is if it's for all of 4,6,7. Pelchen and Bains were quoted as saying they have already knocked back multiple picks inside the top 15. Maybe Thomlinson comes into play now of they decide they want a player and 2 picks? If GWS baulk at any of those then no dice!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:4,6&7 for 1&21. Not another experienced player out please.

Nah bugger that. 4,6 and 7 for 1 or a gun, 6 and 7 for 1.
Three picks in the top ten would be an awesome deal for us.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Will two blokes picked in the middle of the top 10 be likely to end up worth more than Petracca...?
Most likely yes.

Here's 4+6+7 through the years:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/4+6+7

Been a pretty good combo the last few years:

Hartlett+Yarran+Rich
Morabito+Rohan+Sheppard (not so good)
Gaff+Conca+Caddy
Hoskin-Elliot+Wingard+Haynes
Toumpas+Macrae+Wines
Bontempelli+Scharenberg+Aish

(That said, it was pretty poor for a long time. Look at 2000: Livingston, Dylan Smith and Angwin! 71 games between them. Magic.)

Which pair of those are worth more than Petracca at his best? Hartlett+Rich is pretty good, so is Gaff+Caddy. Hoskin-Elliot+Wingard definitely. Macrae+Wines also, and definitely Bontempelli+Aish. Looks to me like it's a pretty good chance of getting some very good players with those three picks.

If they offered 4+6+7 we'd have to take it. No question.

I don't think they'll be stupid enough to offer it though. That would make their trade period:

IN: 1 (Petracca), 40, Griffen, Patfull
OUT: 4, 21, 43, Boyd, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Whiley

That looks like incompetence to me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:More perspective...

Petracca is as close as you're likely to get to a 'sure thing'.

Picks 4,6,7... lets be optimist and say that two of those three 'make it'.
(Remember, the Pelican is into the numbers game coz he knows that many players simply don't live up to their expectations.)

So that actually makes the real question to consider here...

Will two blokes picked in the middle of the top 10 be likely to end up worth more than Petracca...?

IMHO, I would say this is unlikely. Stick with the sure thing... Petracca.

That's why the only version of this deal I'd even look at is if Cameron (another sure thing) is included...
but again, why not lock-in Petracca this year, and get Jerry in the 2015 PSD...?
(Last I heard, Jerry still won't extend his contract with the Wogans.)

Well I think this is what it all really comes down to. A glorified chook raffle. The thing is we all know pelchen is a numbers man.... he is probably putting all the draft data into a super computer as we speak :D
Do you take a certain Rooster or chance your arm of winning two Roosters? To answer that youd have to really know the qualities of the top 10 players in depth. Risky business.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Will two blokes picked in the middle of the top 10 be likely to end up worth more than Petracca...?
Most likely yes.

Here's 4+6+7 through the years:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/4+6+7

Been a pretty good combo the last few years:

Hartlett+Yarran+Rich
Morabito+Rohan+Sheppard (not so good)
Gaff+Conca+Caddy
Hoskin-Elliot+Wingard+Haynes
Toumpas+Macrae+Wines
Bontempelli+Scharenberg+Aish

(That said, it was pretty poor for a long time. Look at 2000: Livingston, Dylan Smith and Angwin! 71 games between them. Magic.)

Which pair of those are worth more than Petracca at his best? Hartlett+Rich is pretty good, so is Gaff+Caddy. Hoskin-Elliot+Wingard definitely. Macrae+Wines also, and definitely Bontempelli+Aish. Looks to me like it's a pretty good chance of getting some very good players with those three picks.

If they offered 4+6+7 we'd have to take it. No question.

I don't think they'll be stupid enough to offer it though. That would make their trade period:

IN: 1 (Petracca), 40, Griffen, Patfull
OUT: 4, 21, 43, Boyd, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Whiley

That looks like incompetence to me.
Thanks berg - appreciate that search (I havent figured how you do that search).

So basically looking at the last few years :

if you walk into a draft with pick 1 - you expect to walk out with 1 gun player.
if you walk into a draft with 4,6 & 7 you expect to walk away with two gun players.

In GWS defence

Patful is a decent player (2012 B &F)
Griff is an AA and B&F (2013)
Plus they get Pet.
So IMO incompetence is a tad harsh in the circumstances.

As others have said - they cant just keep bringing in 18yos. They cant play them all at the same time anyway. Most will rot in the NEAFL.

sainter#4
Club Player

Please god let us have picks 4,6,7,21 and 22. IF we can achieve this then we have set our rebuild forward 12 months minimum.

jaxons
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:4,6 & 7 or we keep 1.

Its that simple!!!

That's our current position, however they want 21 as well.
We have something up our sleeve that will hopefully leave us with 21 and 22.
We won't be doing it for just 4 & 6 or 4 & 7 I guarantee you.
At worst it may be we give them 21 back, but hoping not.
Our guys love Pettracca and given we have achieved 3 picks inside 22 already, we can stand firm.
But picks 4, 6 & 7 is attractive.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maybe the saints will do picks1 and 21 for 4, 6 and 7.......after all they will cop heaps if they hang onto pick 21 and the player turns out to be a fizzer....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodrocket
Club Player

How about 4,6 and Shiel/WHE ?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:4,6 & 7 or we keep 1.

Its that simple!!!

That's our current position, however they want 21 as well.
We have something up our sleeve that will hopefully leave us with 21 and 22.
We won't be doing it for just 4 & 6 or 4 & 7 I guarantee you.
At worst it may be we give them 21 back, but hoping not.
Our guys love Pettracca and given we have achieved 3 picks inside 22 already, we can stand firm.
But picks 4, 6 & 7 is attractive.

Love to know what it is we 'have up our sleeve'.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

jaxons wrote:We have something up our sleeve that will hopefully leave us with 21 and 22.
Throwing in a player as steak knives?