Best 22 round 1 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Best 22 round 1 2015

A lot of questions for 2015

Where's Tommy Curren at in the team mix?

Will Markworth get on the park in any meaningful way?

Can Roberton get over his foot injury fully?

Membrey - what do you expect?

Too many injuries in 2014 to really get any idea of who is best 22

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

its too early to be doing this stuff

its bloody october
:shock:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Andreous wrote:B: Dempster Delany Geary
HB: Webster Fisher Savage
C: Roo Armitage Newnes
HF: Membrey Bruce Templeton
F: Billings Lee White
R: Hickey Dunstan Steven
INt: Petrecca Acres Joey Weller

Emerg: Curren Longer Gilbert Wright Murdoch Markworth
I wouldn't hesitate to move Riewoldt out of the forward line in the interests of developing a forward line post-Roo. I'm not sure the club agrees with you though.

Our plan of attack is way too predictable as it stands: Wait until Riewoldt has three defenders on him and has led into an area from which he cannot possibly convert. Kick it to him.

If we want to ensure another No. 1 draft pick in 2015 we should continue with this set up. I dunno, they may want to finish bottom again.

The alternative is to roll the dice, get some experience into White, Bruce, maybe Lee and give the old warrior a new lease of life on the wing or at chb.

I'd say it is unlikely to happen, but it should.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 19 Oct 2014 8:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Tom Lee will be lucky to get even one senior game next year. The only reason he wasn't delisted is because of the current lack of forward line depth. He doesn't seem to fit into Richo plans. He was a product of SW's WA bias. I wouldn't expect him to be around at the conclusion of the 2015 season.
Pretty sure he got a contract extension during the future fest. 2016 at minimum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate to move Riewoldt out of the forward line in the interests of developing a forward line post-Roo. I'm not sure the club agrees with you though.

Our plan of attack is way too predictable as it stands: Wait until Riewoldt has three defenders on him and has led into an area from which he cannot possibly convert. Kick it to him.

If we want to ensure another No. 1 draft pick in 2015 we should continue with this set up. I dunno, they may want to finish bottom again.

The alternative is to roll the dice, get some experience into White, Bruce, maybe Lee and give the old warrior a new lease of life on the wing or at chb.

No it shouldn't. He is now 5 time AA because he was again one of the best forwards in the AFL. Our plan is obviously not to kick it to Roo all the time but they do because the other forwards are either to lazy or aren't good enough. As I have said many times Roo doesn't play in the seconds so why don't these guys also kick many goals in the seconds? Probably because they aren't good enough. All moving Roo to another position does is make him less effective for the side, put more pressure and our young forwards and ensure the best backs have a field day. Keep Roo forward to teach the younger guys and if they are good enough they will start getting the ball more often. I don't think a current AA needs a new lease of life. matter of fact he doesn't. Anyway he plays basically all over the forward line and right up to the half back line as it is.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:No it shouldn't. He is now 5 time AA because he was again one of the best forwards in the AFL. Our plan is obviously not to kick it to Roo all the time but they do because the other forwards are either to lazy or aren't good enough. As I have said many times Roo doesn't play in the seconds so why don't these guys also kick many goals in the seconds? Probably because they aren't good enough. All moving Roo to another position does is make him less effective for the side, put more pressure and our young forwards and ensure the best backs have a field day. Keep Roo forward to teach the younger guys and if they are good enough they will start getting the ball more often. I don't think a current AA needs a new lease of life. matter of fact he doesn't. Anyway he plays basically all over the forward line and right up to the half back line as it is.
Some really sound points there Pluggs. (Workin' with ya again. :wink: )

My only question is re the highlighted sentence (above). I do believe that our players are (also) way too Roo-focused, in that I've continually seen other Saints make a lead, be in the clear, in a dangerous position... only for the footy to be kicked to Roo and his 47 opposition 'mates'... or, to be more accurate, I should say... kicked in Roo's 'approximate vicinity'. :roll:

Kick it to the bloke in the best position Saintas, not just to the best bloke!!!
Frustrates the hell outta' me! :evil:

(I can't remember the game, but last season there was a moment where either Billings or Minch drilled an unstoppable lace-out pass into Roo's bread basket. I reckon he almost spilt it. I cracked up laughing at the shocked look on Roo's face. :lol: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
loris
Saintsational Legend

Remember how Matthew Richardson got a new lease of life when moved from the forward line towards the end of his career at Richmond.............. he played mostly up on the wing.
Young Jack Reiwoldt started to improve as he wasn't in competition with Richardson in the foward region................................. and Richardson nearly won the Chas Brownlow, I think he came equal second.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Remember how Matthew Richardson got a new lease of life when moved from the forward line towards the end of his career at Richmond.............. he played mostly up on the wing.
Young Jack Reiwoldt started to improve as he wasn't in competition with Richardson in the foward region................................. and Richardson nearly won the Chas Brownlow, I think he came equal second.

Agreed. When Rooy needs a new lease of life we might do it or when a forward shows something at all we may do it.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:Remember how Matthew Richardson got a new lease of life when moved from the forward line towards the end of his career at Richmond.............. he played mostly up on the wing.

Agreed. When Rooy needs a new lease of life we might do it or when a forward shows something at all we may do it.
Agreed. We actually need a forward to display a minute shred of consistency and the ability to hold down a key-post prior to moving one of the best forwards in the history of the game out of his position....

supersaints
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No it shouldn't. He is now 5 time AA because he was again one of the best forwards in the AFL. Our plan is obviously not to kick it to Roo all the time but they do because the other forwards are either to lazy or aren't good enough. As I have said many times Roo doesn't play in the seconds so why don't these guys also kick many goals in the seconds? Probably because they aren't good enough. All moving Roo to another position does is make him less effective for the side, put more pressure and our young forwards and ensure the best backs have a field day. Keep Roo forward to teach the younger guys and if they are good enough they will start getting the ball more often. I don't think a current AA needs a new lease of life. matter of fact he doesn't. Anyway he plays basically all over the forward line and right up to the half back line as it is.
Some really sound points there Pluggs. (Workin' with ya again. :wink: )

My only question is re the highlighted sentence (above). I do believe that our players are (also) way too Roo-focused, in that I've continually seen other Saints make a lead, be in the clear, in a dangerous position... only for the footy to be kicked to Roo and his 47 opposition 'mates'... or, to be more accurate, I should say... kicked in Roo's 'approximate vicinity'. :roll:

Kick it to the bloke in the best position Saintas, not just to the best bloke!!!
Frustrates the hell outta' me! :evil:

Posted on this Previously, in essence, Roo is the only forward continually on the move.
Our brain ( some posters excepted) ensures that we automatically focus on movement. More or less goes back to survival mode when we were the hunted not the hunter.
If someone is moving and someone is still, then our eyes will fOcus on the movement.
With Roo's double and triple leads the players first instinct will akways be to kick it to him, if he is moving around the most.
Bit if a quandary really.

(I can't remember the game, but last season there was a moment where either Billings or Minch drilled an unstoppable lace-out pass into Roo's bread basket. I reckon he almost spilt it. I cracked up laughing at the shocked look on Roo's face. :lol: )

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

can see a few guys fluttering through our forward line next year with no Maister and Stanley. likes of Siposs, Lee, Membrey, White, Markworth, Gilbert, Bruce, and the twin towers in Hickey and Longer.
Reiwoldt from memory was getting around the ground a bit anyway toward end of season with it working and likely to continue next year.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

millarsaint wrote:can see a few guys fluttering through our forward line next year with no Maister and Stanley. likes of Siposs, Lee, Membrey, White, Markworth, Gilbert, Bruce, and the twin towers in Hickey and Longer.
Reiwoldt from memory was getting around the ground a bit anyway toward end of season with it working and likely to continue next year.
If those blokes showed a shred of consistency, they would have displaced the much-vaunted duo of Maister and Stanley anyway...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:its too early to be doing this stuff

its bloody october
:shock:
Yes October. Beer drinking time !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saints94
SS Life Member

FB: J.Geary L.Delaney S.Dempster

CHB: J.Webster S.Fisher S.Savage

C: L.Montagna D.Armitage J.Newnes

CHF: J.Billings N.Riewoldt T.Membrey

FF: E.Templeton S.White C.Petracca

FOLL: T.Hickey L.Dunstan J.Steven

INT: S.Gilbert B.Acres N.Wright SUB: N.Cockatoo

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Reiwoldt from memory was getting around the ground a bit anyway toward end of season.
And importantly was playing just as well and kicking just as many goals. The bloke loves running. Thrives on it. The perfect wingman

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
millarsaint wrote:Reiwoldt from memory was getting around the ground a bit anyway toward end of season.
And importantly was playing just as well and kicking just as many goals. The bloke loves running. Thrives on it. The perfect wingman

You do realise a wingman is an onballer and Rooy is no good below his knees because they are stuffed. far from the perfect wingman but is the perfect forward as shown by 5 AA. Its pretty obvious really.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

You do realise a wingman is an onballer and Rooy is no good below his knees because they are stuffed. far from the perfect wingman but is the perfect forward as shown by 5 AA. Its pretty obvious really.
Won't be happening. He'll be too busy playing centre half back :D .

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Viking3
Club Player

I would think where ever Petracca lines up, Richo will play next to him as a minder. He won't want to get on the wrong side of Mum & Dad Petracca seeing as they are such great friends!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
older saint
SS Life Member

B: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Savage, Fisher, Webster
C: Monty, Steven, Newness
HF: Billings, Roo, Gilbert
F: Petracca, Bruce, Templeston
Foll: Hickey, Dunstan, Armitage
Int: Ross, Longer, Weller, Ray

Andreous
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

No it shouldn't. He is now 5 time AA because he was again one of the best forwards in the AFL. Our plan is obviously not to kick it to Roo all the time but they do because the other forwards are either to lazy or aren't good enough. As I have said many times Roo doesn't play in the seconds so why don't these guys also kick many goals in the seconds? Probably because they aren't good enough. All moving Roo to another position does is make him less effective for the side, put more pressure and our young forwards and ensure the best backs have a field day. Keep Roo forward to teach the younger guys and if they are good enough they will start getting the ball more often. I don't think a current AA needs a new lease of life. matter of fact he doesn't. Anyway he plays basically all over the forward line and right up to the half back line as it is.
My concern with the saints in 2014 was that very few could shake the "I see Roo demanding the ball - I kick it to Roo" mantra. This will be further reinforced if we have a hard start to the year and they start to believe that if Roo isn't there then there is no one to kick it to. The sooner we start behaving like we don't have Roo the sooner we will adapt to it. Roo should be directing these guys on the field more (a bit like Maxwell did on the back line at Collingwood).

No-one learns if we just see Roo run harder and faster and the midfield just kick it to him and become blind to the other forwards.