Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

gringo wrote:I think we need to get at least one KPP so ideally Mc kenzie or Goddard with one of them. Later on Hammillmann and Kietel might be sliders.
Hammillmann - 2 weeks

sorry couldnt help myself :D :D

Armagizmo
Club Player

Still not sure about drafting KPF's giving the sheer number of young players we have to play that role, along with the fact that our stated goal is to try and poach an established match winning forward once our window starts to open.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:If we get any two of these guys I'd be happy

Potential sliders

Liam Duggan - Linebreaking mid/half back
Hugh Goddard - Key defender
Caleb Marchbank - Key defender
Jordan De Goey - Inside midfielder

Likely options

Reece McKenzie - Power forward
Nakia Cockatoo - Skilled, athletic mid
Tom Lamb - Talented, athletic tall utility
Jarrod Garlett - Linebreaker
Alex Neal-Bullen - Hard working mid
Oscar McDonald - Key defender

Would love to get Touk Miller or Clem Smith with pick 41 and I'd be ecstatic if we could get Caleb Daniel in the rookie draft.
Pelchin and Bains have both said would be selecting best available but you would think if Richo is going to play Bruce forward then we will need another 196cm key defender coming thru. I can see us either taking Oscar McDonald at 22 or using 21 & 22 on the sliders and using 41 on a key defender.

The other if Bruce is to play forward can he play the bash & crash forward that some have Reece McKenzie pegged for. For me McKenzie is too one positional for the modern game and reminds me of Daniel Archer - I would be surprised if he was one on our selectors sheets!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Picks 21 & 22

St Ick pointed out that under 18 inside mids have a significantly better chance statistically of making it than outside mids. Heard T.Wallace an hour ago say the inside mid success rate was about double the outside mid success rate. Wallace suggested the difference largely because the inside mids have the established wherewithall to win their own ball.
Like a few others on here i would be pleased if we picked another good and fast to boot inside mid to go with Petracca.
Giving us a better chance of building the much needed succesful engine room.

If Bruce is heading up fwd. as some point out then Delaney will need some help coming through and a KPD might well be more in the recruiters thoughts than another good fwd. prospect at this stage.
McDonald or similar could be attracting a lot of profiling right now?

Grabbing a slider sounds like one good strategy but may be part of our double pick @ 21 & 22.
Wallace went on to speculate that the Dogs were well in front of us in building a successful centre line. Hopefully AR has something to say about this comparison with his successful youth development history.

Anyway still intrigued about who we will be adding to our Saintsational future come November.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
gringo wrote:I think we need to get at least one KPP so ideally Mc kenzie or Goddard with one of them. Later on Hammillmann and Kietel might be sliders.
Hammillmann - 2 weeks

sorry couldnt help myself :D :D

Careful I will get together a Ubergang and come an take you down for those kind of jokes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Does any body know which team invited Brett Eddy to the combine? He looked a player when he was at the pies VFL but did a knee. I saw him go well in some of the draft combine results and I think he's only about 24 or so. Any interest from us? Could be a Wilkes style fill in while the others build up in the VFL.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Picks 21 & 22

Megamaguire wrote:St Ick pointed out that under 18 inside mids have a significantly better chance statistically of making it than outside mids. Heard T.Wallace an hour ago say the inside mid success rate was about double the outside mid success rate. Wallace suggested the difference largely because the inside mids have the established wherewithall to win their own ball.
Like a few others on here i would be pleased if we picked another good and fast to boot inside mid to go with Petracca.
Giving us a better chance of building the much needed succesful engine room.

If Bruce is heading up fwd. as some point out then Delaney will need some help coming through and a KPD might well be more in the recruiters thoughts than another good fwd. prospect at this stage.
McDonald or similar could be attracting a lot of profiling right now?

Grabbing a slider sounds like one good strategy but may be part of our double pick @ 21 & 22.
Wallace went on to speculate that the Dogs were well in front of us in building a successful centre line. Hopefully AR has something to say about this comparison with his successful youth development history.

Anyway still intrigued about who we will be adding to our Saintsational future come November.

G O S A I N T S ! :D
Its a worry when T Wallace agrees with you. I still absolutely stand by my inside mid vs outside mid theory - not to say they cant work out, but just dont waste an early pick.

I am still worried about Petracca by foot - but I love the way he finds his own ball and accelerates. I do think he will be a source of frustration to us for a few years though as he learns when to and more importantly not to take blokes on - I see a lot of heads in hands over holding the ball decisions. Far our, talk about crystal ball gazing.

There are just so many players who may or may not be available at our picks. DeGoey or Weller would be a dream, whilst Weller is more outside than in he has the work ethic to succeed. I fear he will be gone though and we'd have to wait a year or two to see him play with his brother ;)

Our tall stocks are still pretty thin, Goddard, Marchbank and possibly even McKenzie will be gone by our picks, but someones gotta slide. McDonald has come from the clouds, never in a million years you would expect that he wouldve been pick up prior to the third round - but its a real possibility.

This year there are around 20 kids who have some sort of elite attributes outside of the first round, its genuinely impossible to know who we like out of those if the top 17 or so all go in expected spots. ANB, DVR, Menadue, Cunico, Miller, Ellis, Bampton, gee there are too many in that 'next group' to name.

One kid I want more than anything at pick 41 is Lukas Webb, he doesnt get enough of it and dare I say it, is a big risk/reward type pick but just think Jack Billings mk2 when watching him. So silky and clean.

Anyway, heres hoping that a few more Cockatoos come bolting from the clouds to allow a DeGoey or Weller to slide to us. Enough rambling for one night.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 & 22

St Ick wrote:
One kid I want more than anything at pick 41 is Lukas Webb, he doesnt get enough of it and dare I say it, is a big risk/reward type pick but just think Jack Billings mk2 when watching him. So silky and clean.
Well youre not wrong there. I just watched these Webb highlights after reading your post. Very handy. Plays a heck of a lot like Billings. Looks impressive.

mickey
Club Player

I was talking to my mates son about Petracca and we watched his highlights & then he tells me about a kid Caleb Daniels who used to go to his school. He was hoping the Saints would draft him because he hates the Adelaide teams & he doesn't want them to select him.
I must admit after he showed me his highlights there is a lot to like, very skilful & exciting to watch. Hope we get him for his sake, he's been a loyal supporter growing up in Adelaide.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

21 - Weller
22 - Blakely
41 - Touk Miller

Next
78 -> Rookie upgrades - Weller, Templeton, Shenton, Minchington

DFA - Membrey

PSD 1 xxxxx

Rookies - Schneider, McKernan, Petrenko, Jeremy Taylor, Caleb Daniel, Keenan Ramsey,
Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington,
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 05 Nov 2014 2:00pm, edited 11 times in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Reckon many of the players I want at the Saints will be gone by 21....

21 - Tom Lamb
22 - Blakely / Maynard / Oscar McDonald
41 - Touk Miller / Bampton

60 - Rookie - Drummond, Josh Glenn, Taylor Grace, Lukas Webb, Caleb Daniel
made up Christian names one of the first indicators of Bogan parents often leading to idiot offspring!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Reckon many of the players I want at the Saints will be gone by 21....

21 - Tom Lamb

made up Christian names one of the first indicators of Bogan parents often leading to idiot offspring!
Is that right, never heard that before. :shock: I doubt they would have made him Vic Metro captain if he was a dullard!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:

21 - Tom Lamb

Classic. He looks quite handy young Touky :D

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:

21 - Tom Lamb

Great vision - yes he's a very impressive lad

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:60 / Rookie - Drummond, Josh Glenn, Taylor Grace, Lukas Webb, Caleb Daniel
Fairly certain that we gave up pick 60 in the Stankey trade

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
FQF
SS Life Member

MCG-Unit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:

21 - Tom Lamb

Awkward style about him but he seems to read the play well. Has a great long sweeping handball and that ability to slot from outside 50 is handy. Field kicking looks shaky. Seems a Gram type.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:60 / Rookie - Drummond, Josh Glenn, Taylor Grace, Lukas Webb, Caleb Daniel
Fairly certain that we gave up pick 60 in the Stankey trade

You're right, fixed now - DP 78 is next. Need to upgrade 4 Rookies
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 28 Oct 2014 5:28pm, edited 2 times in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:

21 - Tom Lamb / Maynard
22 - Blakely / Oscar McDonald

78 - Rookie - Drummond, Josh Glenn, Taylor Grace, Lukas Webb, Caleb Daniel

Awkward style about him but he seems to read the play well. Has a great long sweeping handball and that ability to slot from outside 50 is handy. Field kicking looks shaky. Seems a Gram type.
Miller is not an outside type like Gram. He's an inside / clearance player. (if you mean his kicking, vision I've seen looks ok)

This from Paige Cardona's Phantom Draft:

'.....Miller is a predominantly inside midfielder whose bread and butter is his clearance work and his ability to win the contested ball. ....Miller has won plaudits for the inroads he’s made on his outside game, with scouts highlighting his explosiveness and goal-kicking ability. It’s second nature for Miller to throw himself at the football and dish out a slick handball to his midfielders to really help break the stoppages open.

Miller is incredibly physical and aggressive, hunting the ball viciously, and is often dirty with himself if he doesn’t stick a tackle. Given his core strength, he’s rarely brought to ground, and he instinctively raises his arms with the ball in hand to avoid being dispossessed. He is such a smart footballer who bleeds for the jumper he wears, and is a born leader......'
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 24 Oct 2014 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

I'm sure you/Paige are right — I was just commenting on his highlights video which seemed to only show outside stuff. If he has that inside game as well then he seems a very well rounded player. Love the handball — a very underrated skill that can create open spaces and open up opposition when used properly.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:I'm sure you/Paige are right — I was just commenting on his highlights video which seemed to only show outside stuff. If he has that inside game as well then he seems a very well rounded player. Love the handball — a very underrated skill that can create open spaces and open up opposition when used properly.
It's all opinion isn't it? Paige says Miller plays 'like' Dion Prestia.....Yes he has good hands. I didn't think his kicking was so bad in that video - kicked 2 booming goals from outside 50m. Some tapes are not really highlights, but every passage of play that recruit is involved in for a match. Maybe that's how coaches review games.

First vision I saw of Petracca, his kicking was also not the best - windy day in WA - the tape looked like most passages of play he was involved in, not highlights. Once again he loves the handball like Miller. Other recent videos (on afl.com.au) have Petracca drilling passes I50.

older saint
SS Life Member

Daniel is a real interesting one and i am sure across various teams they have him everywhere from early end 2 to not at all. One thing about footballers regardless of size is the ability to find the ball. He seems to have this . I would love it if Lamb is still there at 21 and then i thnk Daniel worth the risk at 22, as of recent times many too small too slow players who can find the footy have done very well - Mitchell, Sewell, Barlow, etc

Beekay
SS Life Member

I'd pull the trigger on Caleb, unless someone ridiculous slides.
From all the footage, he looks streets ahead; in terms of balance, skill, poise and decision making.
An even smaller Sam Mitchell. Way too nifty and efficient to not snap up.
As mentioned.... Lamb and Daniel...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:I'd pull the trigger on Caleb, unless someone ridiculous slides.
From all the footage, he looks streets ahead; in terms of balance, skill, poise and decision making.
An even smaller Sam Mitchell. Way too nifty and efficient to not snap up.
As mentioned.... Lamb and Daniel...

Watch Nakia Cockatoo too, he is just so exciting with the footy. He looks ahead of Petracca in highlights. Such an exciting player to watch like a big Caleb Daniel he just makes you smile watching him play. Last recruit I saw like that was a guy named Bontempelli.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would like Nakia but I am thinking he wont last until 21.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 41 is the interesting one. I'm Biased because I've seen these 3 SA boys play and I think they are all likely AFL players - Caleb Daniel, Jake Johansen and Peter Bampton. All 3 boys have played senior SANFL footy - Johansen and Bampton made their debuts last year. I've watched Johansen since under 13s - the kid is a Jet and will make the grade. A lot of other players being mentioned on this thread struggle to get in the best players for their respective U18 clubs on a regular basis.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.