McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Re: McCartin

If you go on who performs on the big stage on the last saturday in september, I cannot remember a Full Forward who won a Norm Smith medal, I think James Hird at CHF won one in 2000.

I think it has predominantly won by midfielders/flankers who have the X factor and can turn the game when it is required.

Sadly think back to 2009, Ablett the benefactor of toe poke, Chapman goals, to Cats, 2010 Lenny and BJ play their heart out and an unlucky draw.

I guess moral to the story.....Get the midfielder get Petracca.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm way more interested in 21 & 22. Those picks will make or break us going fwd. We have to nail these.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Take note of my prophecy from a few pages ago. Two metre Peter is the man, as foretold be Emma Quayle.
I'm with ya. He could be the next best big man since Cox.
Petracca or Wright for me.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Trying to be positive, if we get McCartin can we delist Lee this year and pick up an extra player in the PSD or get another rookie?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Trying to be positive, if we get McCartin can we delist Lee this year and pick up an extra player in the PSD or get another rookie?

You do continue to make foolish comments.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Joseph' ... tball_Club

Notable players

Over thirty players have gone on to play AFL including
Mark Neeld - Geelong
Matthew Scarlett - Geelong
Barry Stoneham - Geelong
Cameron Ling - Geelong
Jimmy Bartel - Geelong

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

my feeling is that forwards are too risky a proposition, unless they are a clear stand out.

Roo and Kosi were the stand out big men of their draft. Boyd a clear favorite of the last

In terms of balancing the hits and misses of the draft, you can twist the results to suit any argument you want.

Tractor is a clear stand out mid, personally my strategy is to get him and my my KFs from now on... it's just too hard to get it right

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

We will be a chance to get Petracca in a couple of years.
Melbourne are all on the Paleo diet, so the good Italian lad won't be able to eat pasta.........

He'll want out, and we can get him then. All part of our plan.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm way more interested in 21 & 22. Those picks will make or break us going fwd. We have to nail these.
To nail these would be a bonus however we still have a few more drafts (with probably a top 5 pick) whereby we can nail more super quality mids as well

All the while we watch Newnes, Ross, Saunders, Wright/Webster??, Billings, Dunstan, Acres and Templeton develop as mids - also throw in Minch, Curren and Weller we already have the makings of a decent mid set up down the line - not even taking into account what we get at 21/22 and the next few years

Everyone must remember that our young mids are just that - YOUNG - they probably wont be hitting their straps for another couple of years while their bodies adjust to the demands of the AFL - there is definite A grade potential in the names above but its down to how we develop them - as individuals and as a collective team

By adding McCartin our Forward line (for talls) is looking extremely promising and well stocked with White, Membrey, Lee & Bruce (all very young)

Backline is an area we really need to look at however but maybe we can use our cap space to bring in a super gun back - which would cost a lot cheaper than bringing in a gun forward (see Boyd deal) - of course we would hope that we might be able to squeeze in great mid as well - from the sound of it we have a bit of cap room so we might be able to do both

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that the gap between Petracca and McCartin is a lot narrower than a lot of armchair experts think. It is not a slam dunk; there really is a decision to make.

With that in mind I think we need to cut the recruiters a bit of slack, whatever the outcome.
I'm with you Doc. We've got a reasonable set up now on the list management and talent identification side, so let 'em do their jobs.

I've been on the Petracca/midfielder wagon for some time (not that I follow it as closely as many others), but this draft's a moving feast.

The overriding reason why I'll stick with the program if they pick Kid Diabetes (which is a plus, given the way the kid seems to handle it - from adversity comes strength, blah, blah, blah) is I reckon the game's changed a lot, and that change is accelerating.

Roo thrives in his twilight because he was unique when he started and he's very much the prototype now. Blockhead goal square anchors ain't the future. McCartin's strengths seem to be he's busy, get's about, has presence, runs intelligent patterns, leads and leads (if ya know what I mean), supports, blocks, is clean and can kick.

Hawthorn lost the highest profile forward in the country and beat the overcompensated mob that forward went to easily in the GF. The bloke who megabucks left behind (Roughead) is not a towering mark, doesn't stand in the square and beat everyone off (coulda put that better) - he's a footballer, who sometimes goes into the middle to ruck, and sometimes to play as a mid. They plucked Gunston from Adelaide because it's about the unit, not the individuals - and Gunston has been mighty handy in finals, yet goes to places like half back frequently.

This is a different game. If the go McCartin because they reckon he'll fit the way the game's going, and because we're intent on building a flexible unit, I'll back 'em.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Trying to be positive, if we get McCartin can we delist Lee this year and pick up an extra player in the PSD or get another rookie?

Answer my question smartarse or say nothing please

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Answer my question smartarse or say nothing please

Yes we can but unlike you delisting someone this late who just signed a 2 year contract isn't a positive step for Lee or our club.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It would seem a little odd if we got McCartin having just re-signed Lee and White and with Nick committing to two more years and with Bruce turning into a forward. It's going to be hard to play all of them in the same forward line (especially if we're going to play Hickey and Longer in the same team).

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:It would seem a little odd if we got McCartin having just re-signed Lee and White and with Nick committing to two more years and with Bruce turning into a forward. It's going to be hard to play all of them in the same forward line (especially if we're going to play Hickey and Longer in the same team).
Well of course Nick will be gone soon and the others are all unproven. It would be highly unlikely that White, Lee & Bruce all succeed. Lee and/or Bruce may even end up in Defence.

At the end of the day it's McCartin in and Stanley out. One big forward in and one big forward out.

There are some legitimate questions that can be asked regarding the extended Lee contract, however a decision to pick Paddy is not all that odd IMO.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:It would seem a little odd if we got McCartin having just re-signed Lee and White and with Nick committing to two more years and with Bruce turning into a forward. It's going to be hard to play all of them in the same forward line (especially if we're going to play Hickey and Longer in the same team).
Exactly.

And even of you discount Lee as he has shown nothing it's still rather an odd call.

#standbytractor

Freebird
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Freebird wrote:Are you saying to trust our club because when it comes to drafting they're to be trusted to take the best?

Surely history says otherwise
Our history with number 1 draft picks is pretty poor. Riewoldt, Goddard. Let's hope we don't make another mistake like that.
Two out of twenty is not good and the two blind freddy would have picked...why do you not mention the others

merimbula
Club Player

Hogan, Patton & Boyd -all standout big forwards going into their draft year. All I believe were more noted than McArtin. Who have become threats to an opposition? Give me Petracca please!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Freebird wrote:Are you saying to trust our club because when it comes to drafting they're to be trusted to take the best?

Surely history says otherwise
Our history with number 1 draft picks is pretty poor. Riewoldt, Goddard. Let's hope we don't make another mistake like that.
Two out of twenty is not good and the two blind freddy would have picked...why do you not mention the others

Because they are the only 2 number one picks we have had and the record is excellent.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Get on board!

suss
Club Player

While I would much prefer we pick Petracca (the better player) over McCartin (the rarer commodity), the thing that really irks me is the fact that the club leaks like a sieve - again. Every single ******* decision this club makes hits the headlines five days before it's released officially.

It shows a complete lack of discipline if nothing else ...

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I just hope this is not a case of a recruiting team feeling the need to justify their existence by going against the grain. If Petracca turns out to
be the new Judd and McCartin is the new Kosi then it's gonna be awfully hard to take.

sax
Club Player

Munga wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Take note of my prophecy from a few pages ago. Two metre Peter is the man, as foretold be Emma Quayle.
I'm with ya. He could be the next best big man since Cox.
Petracca or Wright for me.
Then I would be pissed!

Not because we drafted Peter , but because we could've got him at 4!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
boneless23
Club Player

I have been watching everything I can find on McCartin and he looks bloody good!!

He can read the ball well in flight, can beat his man on the lead, can take a strong mark and can kick goals from outside 50.

Bains and Trout want this draft to work more than any of us as their reputation and livelihood is on the line so I am sure that if Paddy's name is called tomorrow night then the decision would have been based on the best information available.

From all of the interviews I have watched Paddy seems like a really decent kid so as soon as his name is called, if it is of course, we need to forget about Petracca and get right behind our future full forward.

I have no doubt that Paddy is reading all of the posts and it would be a terrible feeling for a kid to get drafted to a club and then read post after posts from it's supporters saying they don't want him.

Yes Paddy could be the next Jack Watts but he also could be the next Jarryd Roughhead. Similarly Petracca could be the next Patrick Dangerfield or the next Jimmy Toumpas or Tom Scully!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Very well summed up boneless

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that the gap between Petracca and McCartin is a lot narrower than a lot of armchair experts think. It is not a slam dunk; there really is a decision to make.

With that in mind I think we need to cut the recruiters a bit of slack, whatever the outcome.
I'm with you Doc. We've got a reasonable set up now on the list management and talent identification side, so let 'em do their jobs.

I've been on the Petracca/midfielder wagon for some time (not that I follow it as closely as many others), but this draft's a moving feast.

The overriding reason why I'll stick with the program if they pick Kid Diabetes (which is a plus, given the way the kid seems to handle it - from adversity comes strength, blah, blah, blah) is I reckon the game's changed a lot, and that change is accelerating.

Roo thrives in his twilight because he was unique when he started and he's very much the prototype now. Blockhead goal square anchors ain't the future. McCartin's strengths seem to be he's busy, get's about, has presence, runs intelligent patterns, leads and leads (if ya know what I mean), supports, blocks, is clean and can kick.

Hawthorn lost the highest profile forward in the country and beat the overcompensated mob that forward went to easily in the GF. The bloke who megabucks left behind (Roughead) is not a towering mark, doesn't stand in the square and beat everyone off (coulda put that better) - he's a footballer, who sometimes goes into the middle to ruck, and sometimes to play as a mid. They plucked Gunston from Adelaide because it's about the unit, not the individuals - and Gunston has been mighty handy in finals, yet goes to places like half back frequently.

This is a different game. If the go McCartin because they reckon he'll fit the way the game's going, and because we're intent on building a flexible unit, I'll back 'em.
Sanity in a sea of idiocy. McCartin has been rated top 3 in this draft for a couple of years. He had a few injuries this year, just bad luck. Petracca was rated about 10 a year ago, and climbed the rankings. There is a fag paper between the two of them. I will back the recruiters to get it right. Whichever one we take, we should be happy.

To drag up old draft horrors like missing Judd is not on. Hysteria has taken hold.