Exciting highlights

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Exciting highlights

After watching highlight videos and getting excited about the future with the new players can someone please put together a highlight reel of Clinton Jones to put me back in my place.
Surely there would be enough footage of him to make him look like a top 5 pick.
Anyway, just saying I'm getting too excited on the back of 2 minute clips

Beekay
SS Life Member

Re: Exciting highlights

I've been thinking along the same lines. The highlights of Saad, in the game against Carlton, make him look like a superstar.
Rookie pick.

It pretty much sums it all up.

Though, thinking along those lines, takes a lot of fun out of the whole ordeal.

In terms of high draft picks with consistent stats, you've then got a Richard Tambling result.
Last edited by Beekay on Wed 03 Dec 2014 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Its a worry isn't it.But 2 minute clips are all most have.Looks and sounds good but.Another young mid imo

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Exactly right, everyone I looks the highlights are always good!

Except for nick heyne, I remember watching his and thinking hmmmmm

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:After watching highlight videos and getting excited about the future with the new players can someone please put together a highlight reel of Clinton Jones to put me back in my place.
Surely there would be enough footage of him to make him look like a top 5 pick.
Anyway, just saying I'm getting too excited on the back of 2 minute clips
I'm sure the guy who put this together got canned at the time.

then there's this:

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan's pre draft highlights package was extremely underwhelming, and I made the judgement that he was too slow for AFL football based on what I saw. Well, we all know how he payed in his first game.

What i fond interesting about nearly all he highlights packages is that there are very few contested situations shown.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Luke Dunstan's pre draft highlights package was extremely underwhelming, and I made the judgement that he was too slow for AFL football based on what I saw. Well, we all know how he payed in his first game.

What i fond interesting about nearly all he highlights packages is that there are very few contested situations shown.

Ive said it before about Lenny. Unless draft highlights have lowlights and more importantly what inside that person then they are usually a waste of time. That's why we have recruiters who see these guys many times and that's also why plenty on here mention names that are never drafted because they have many faults that aren't shown in one TV game or in a 2 minutes highlights package.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the highlights at very least show what a player is capable of doing at that level. I think contested marks are telling, and you see a lot of those with McKenzie, Sinclair and Payne (almost to the point you think is that what our recruiters are going for along with nose for goal).

anyone can shoot a three pointer or hit a nice golf ball, but can you do it consistently at a high level.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:the highlights at very least show what a player is capable of doing at that level. I think contested marks are telling, and you see a lot of those with McKenzie, Sinclair and Payne (almost to the point you think is that what our recruiters are going for along with nose for goal).

anyone can shoot a three pointer or hit a nice golf ball, but can you do it consistently at a high level.
Agree.

The YouTube clips are interesting from the point of view that it gives supporters some idea of who the club has recruited.

The problem is when these same supporters start comparing all these highlight clips and suddenly start thinking the know more than highly paid, full time professional recruiters.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
millarsaint wrote:the highlights at very least show what a player is capable of doing at that level. I think contested marks are telling, and you see a lot of those with McKenzie, Sinclair and Payne (almost to the point you think is that what our recruiters are going for along with nose for goal).

Agree.

The YouTube clips are interesting from the point of view that it gives supporters some idea of who the club has recruited.

The problem is when these same supporters start comparing all these highlight clips and suddenly start thinking the know more than highly paid, full time professional recruiters.
and then come up with theories based on the players postcode....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: The YouTube clips are interesting from the point of view that it gives supporters some idea of who the club has recruited.

and then come up with theories based on the players postcode....
"If it don't start with a 3, then don't select thee" :idea:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:I've been thinking along the same lines. The highlights of Saad, in the game against Carlton, make him look like a superstar.
Rookie pick.

It pretty much sums it all up.

Though, thinking along those lines, takes a lot of fun out of the whole ordeal.

In terms of high draft picks with consistent stats, you've then got a Richard Tambling result.

I watched the game he played against Carlton recently and he was an absolute gun in that game. He has talent just needs to get some consistency up. If he was injured in year 2 he might be a steal. Playing along side Milne he was having to fight for scraps, it could be that he actually becomes even better with extra motivation and some freedom.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The positive with Saad is that the work rate, skills and tackle technique are there

What he needs to do is find a way to either win more ball or find a way to convert 10 touches a game into 3 goals

FQF
SS Life Member

My general perception is that highlights need to be viewed within the context of the "highlights genre" - ie. if you take any player and strip them of all their blunders, screw ups and general bad play, what is the quality of the player you're left with. What that boils down to is a comparison of different players at their very best. It is absolutely useless re consistency, efficiency and game nous.

It has to be said though that if you see 10-15 highlights of a player from one game (which is often the case with these juniors), you can be fairly certain he isn't fluking it - at least not on that day.

FQF
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:The positive with Saad is that the work rate, skills and tackle technique are there

What he needs to do is find a way to either win more ball or find a way to convert 10 touches a game into 3 goals
1.5 a game will more than suffice. That's 1.5 goals on average, not 1 goal 5 behinds.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:The positive with Saad is that the work rate, skills and tackle technique are there

3 goals a game is a level that most forwards cannot achieve, even the ones who are the No 1 target up forward.

The answer is probably a little bit of both PLUS to impact the game with defensive pressure, tackling etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

point taken guys

involved in 3 scores a game or gets more possessions then?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

He needs to learn to run at the ball in straight lines, drop the fancy sh*t from his game and work on his decision making.