What changes would you make, who's in and who's out???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

What changes would you make, who's in and who's out???

Our best 22 for Round 1, according to http://www.AFL.com.au

St Kilda
B: Sean Dempster, Luke Delaney, Sam Gilbert
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Jimmy Webster
C: Farren Ray, Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan
HF: Eli Templeton, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Jack Billings, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey
R: Tom Hickey, David Armitage, Maverick Weller
I/C: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Newnes
Sub: Shane Savage

Comment: The Saints are playing Greater Western Sydney in round one and they'll be keen to test their new players immediately and give supporters hope after a disappointing 2014. Tim Membrey was recruited as ready-made support for Nick Riewoldt, while there is no reason Paddy McCartin can't be thrown into the cauldron in round one. He would push out Josh Bruce, who moved forward in 2014. After the departure of Rhys Stanley to Geelong, two genuine ruckmen will be required, with Tom Hickey and Billy Longer both working to build their tools in attack. The Saints would be keen to see promising youngster Blake Acres push into the 22 quickly as well as Nathan Wright. Hugh Goddard could find himself making a dream round one start if Sam Gilbert isn't fully fit.

coopergrech
Club Player

Re: What changes would you make, who's in and who's out???

I would try to fit Spencer White and Hugh Goddard in there somewhere and even Joshy Bruce,but too many talls.

Probs take out Ross,Gilbert(if Inj)
In : White , Goddard

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would put Lee at full forward leave out Paddy Mac. I would put Bruce in for Longer too. Possibly Eli out for Saad if there is an injury.

saintbob
SS Life Member

St Kilda
C: Shane Savage Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan
HF: Eli Templeton, Nick Riewoldt, Maverick Weller
R: Tom Hickey, David Armitage, Jack Newnes
I/C: Spencer White, Seb Ross, Leigh Montangna
Sub: Cameron Shenton
Emerg: Longer, Wright, Acres

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

If Lee, Bruce or White can pinch hit in the ruck then they should get a forward spot and Longer out.

We just need a pinch hitter not a full on ruckman.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SideshowMilne
Club Player

I would hold off Paddy and Hugh and debut them together R9 v GC.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:I would try to fit Spencer White and Hugh Goddard in there somewhere and even Joshy Bruce,but too many talls.

Probs take out Ross,Gilbert(if Inj)
In : White , Goddard

nooooo nooo nooo...on ross..he is our future ffs..

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, Stinger. From my contacts, I'm told he is rated fairly highly and there are high hopes for him developing rapidly in 2015. I agree with most on here with their selections. The only area of contention is who is going to play second fiddle in the ruck, now that Rhys is gone. I really don't think Billy Longer has the skill to make an impacting in the front half. I'm going for a smokey. Lewis Pierce. I've only seen him play a couple of games, but he is a competent ruckman and can take a grab. Good below his knees for a big bloke. Could be a revelation next year. If not Lewis, they may have to rely on Lee or White.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Savage is in our best 18 not the sub.
Spencer White has to play round one if fit and only one of hickey and longer
I'd take hickey

Armagizmo
Club Player

I'd like to see Lee given the opportunity over Membrey. And I'd like to squeeze Acres and Wright in there somehow...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

All of our younsters need game time. I would play Paddy Mac in Round One, but in the forward pocket, beside either White or Lee, whoever presents the best in the pre season. That is how they started Plugger off, playing beside Jacko. I dont know if I would worry about starting any others beside Membrey in round one though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:All of our younsters need game time. I would play Paddy Mac in Round One, but in the forward pocket, beside either White or Lee, whoever presents the best in the pre season. That is how they started Plugger off, playing beside Jacko. I dont know if I would worry about starting any others beside Membrey in round one though.

Even Plugger didn't start round one. Lets just see how he goes in a NAB cup game first. I would be very doubtful he will be ready based on Patton and Boyd before him and they had much bigger raps on them.

Armagizmo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:All of our younsters need game time. I would play Paddy Mac in Round One, but in the forward pocket, beside either White or Lee, whoever presents the best in the pre season. That is how they started Plugger off, playing beside Jacko. I dont know if I would worry about starting any others beside Membrey in round one though.

Even Plugger didn't start round one. Lets just see how he goes in a NAB cup game first. I would be very doubtful he will be ready based on Patton and Boyd before him and they had much bigger raps on them.
Patton did play from round one though and had apretty good second year. Also (from memory) I don't think he had an experienced kpf to learn from on the field.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armagizmo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Patton did play from round one though and had apretty good second year. Also (from memory) I don't think he had an experienced kpf to learn from on the field.
He started in round 12 so I don't understand what you mean. And having an experienced CHF doesn't mean he plays if he isn't ready. History suggests he wont be ready.And Patton played about 4 games in his second year. Do you mean someone else?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:St Kilda
C: Farren Ray, Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan
HF: Eli Templeton, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
R: Tom Hickey, David Armitage, Maverick Weller
I/C: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Newnes
Sub: Shane Savage
They haven't done a bad job, I reckon that's pretty close at this stage. I'd have:

IN: Curren, Lee
OUT: Longer, McCartin

Lee if fit definitely gets first crack at key forward. We've got him for at least another two years so we have to make sure he has every chance of finding his feet at AFL level. Seems unlikely that a barely 19 year old tall (McCartin) is going to get a run but I suppose you never know how he goes in pre-season.

FB: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Newnes, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Savage, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Membrey
FF: Curren, Lee, Templeton
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Steven
IC: Ray, Ross, Webster, Weller

E (from): Bruce, Longer, Murdoch, Saunders, Shenton, White, Wright
Others: Acres, Goddard, Lonie, Markworth, McCartin, McKenzie, Minchington, Pierce, Roberton, Simpkin, Siposs, Holmes (r), Payne (r), Saad (r), Schneider (r), Sinclair (r)

Not much depth really. The seven I've put in the emergency list are the only ones close to getting a game for mine - and none of them are superstars. All the others will need to show a lot between here and April to have a chance of playing round one.

Line by line:

Defence actually looks reasonably solid if everyone is fully fit. Not great but OK. No depth though. I suppose Goddard, Roberton and Simpkin are next in line as key backs but all are dubious for various reasons.

Midfield frankly looks terrible. Only about eight guys going through there and very few of them are proven AFL quality. Dunstan starts so let's hope he doesn't have second-year blues. Unfortunately Ray is still getting a game, he tries hard but doesn't do a lot of damage. And I don't rate Ross at this point, very much hoping he takes the next step, 2015 make or break for him.

Forwards have a lot of potential. Rooey for two more years eases the transition somewhat. If the foursome of Membrey, Lee, Billings and Templeton can click then there's actually a fair bit of creative goal-kicking there. Good shots at goal, clever players, it's not all doom and gloom. Drop McCartin or Lonie or Saad or someone else in and it might go OK - if the ball ever gets down there.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:FB: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Newnes, Fisher, Gilbert
C: Savage, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Membrey
FF: Curren, Lee, Templeton
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Steven
IC: Ray, Ross, Webster, Weller
I quite like this side but I hope White's preseason form gets him in, maybe in place of Curren, although this would make the forward line a bit top heavy. I have doubts about Lee as full forward, he is more of a third tall - a forward pocket/flanker type.

I'd also put Savage on the HB flank (if he's actually learned to defend) and have Newness on the wing (midfield).
Ray has been a GOP but I hope he is forced out of the side by Acres or Markworth.

If Ross can improve his tank (and he is running PB's at training and looks fitter from photos I've seen) then he could be this years big improver.

older saint
SS Life Member

I think Lee or White for McCartin- based on the previous 2 proving something n pre season. Nathan Wright is very under rated and a must in the side for hardness across half back. Savage in best 22 across half back also I wouldn't think Membry a walk hop start and Bruce i would hope woulfd be in round 1 due to versatility . Need 2 rucks against Mumford and co.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:I think Lee or White for McCartin- based on the previous 2 proving something n pre season. Nathan Wright is very under rated and a must in the side for hardness across half back. Savage in best 22 across half back also I wouldn't think Membry a walk hop start and Bruce i would hope woulfd be in round 1 due to versatility . Need 2 rucks against Mumford and co.

But where does the second ruck play? The person who did that side put him on the bench but that really isn't possible in todays footy. I cant see how 2 can play.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
older saint wrote:I think Lee or White for McCartin- based on the previous 2 proving something n pre season. Nathan Wright is very under rated and a must in the side for hardness across half back. Savage in best 22 across half back also I wouldn't think Membry a walk hop start and Bruce i would hope woulfd be in round 1 due to versatility . Need 2 rucks against Mumford and co.

But where does the second ruck play? The person who did that side put him on the bench but that really isn't possible in todays footy. I cant see how 2 can play.
You keep saying itn't possible in todays football, but the premiers played two ruckmen in the GF so it is by all measurement quite possible.

DO we have the structure to accommodate two ruckmen and do we have the two ruckmen with the quality and capability is another argument.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You keep saying itn't possible in todays football, but the premiers played two ruckmen in the GF so it is by all measurement quite possible.

DO we have the structure to accommodate two ruckmen and do we have the two ruckmen with the quality and capability is another argument.

Hale is a forward ruckman that probably played 60% of his game as a forward. Hickey and Longer haven't shown anything to suggest they could play anywhere near that time forward. Of course its possible if you a Hale or Tippet type. I reckon our guys are pure ruckman though and that's a huge problem.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Just play one of them (Hickey) and find someone who can pinch-hit. I'd rather have two genuine key forwards in our forward line than one and a quarter like last year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Observation....Membrey would be a hff type, not a fp. Templeton has shown he can play that role.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Observation....Membrey would be a hff type, not a fp. Templeton has shown he can play that role.

Don't we have 2 FP? Anyway there is really no such thing as positions anymore. There is 5 or 6 forwards that play anywhere in the forward line.

FQF
SS Life Member

Templeton should not be pigeon holed as a small forward. He was a midfielder as a junior and seems to have increased his size in his long lay off. He should be able to rotate through the middle, although probably not lining up in the centre square just yet.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Be nice to get some early games into Petracca… oh wait… nevermind.

Probably not is our "best" side, but I'd like to see Acres, Markworth, Bruce, Lee, White, Membrey, Wright & McKenzie play a decent stretch of games.