Free agents in 2015 - targets?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Free agents in 2015 - targets?

Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 18 Dec 2014 11:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Free agents in 2015 - targetd?

As the other thread has been discussing, Jack Steven sticks out of that list like a sore thumb.

He's easily the 2nd best player under 30, only after Dangerfield.

Not sure there's much for us to go after - a lot of B+ grade players but not any superstars we could realistically get a hold of.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I don't want any superstars at free agency. I don't want anyone taking a large chunk of the TPP pie. As good as Roo is and he was worth the money he was on, paying too much makes your bottom six players pretty ordinary. I would rather use free agency and get good B+ players that will contribute than have a couple of superstars and have eddy and mcqualter etc running around in a grand final team.

We should stop worrying about who the next great white hope is and field a team that contributes.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The only superstar I want is the one that comes to us cheaply.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:As the other thread has been discussing, Jack Steven sticks out of that list like a sore thumb.

He's easily the 2nd best player under 30, only after Dangerfield.
Alex Rance, Tom Hawkins and Andrew Swallow are pretty good, Scott Selwood is OK as well. I agree that there's not much else on the list though.

Matt Suckling is the only one who looks like he could be interesting to us. Quick, good kick, premiership player, only 27 at the end of next year. Might be worth a little look.

citywest

Please Saints please.......stay away from Free Agency until at least 2017. By then we will be on the fringe of the top 8 and ready to take the next step. That is when IMHO will be the right time to cherry pick a FA that we need to will help us win the GF. What is the point of grabbing a FA next year who will probably be 27 years old and will be 31+ by the time we are ready to win the flag?

For now, just keep drafting the best possible youngsters in the National Draft (and smart trading), and keep our Total Player Payments under control and in order. Then in 2017 we will have the room to pounce on a FA and hopefully go on and win the big one.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Please Saints please.......stay away from Free Agency until at least 2017. By then we will be on the fringe of the top 8 and ready to take the next step. That is when IMHO will be the right time to cherry pick a FA that we need to will help us win the GF. What is the point of grabbing a FA next year who will probably be 27 years old and will be 31+ by the time we are ready to win the flag?

For now, just keep drafting the best possible youngsters in the National Draft (and smart trading), and keep our Total Player Payments under control and in order. Then in 2017 we will have the room to pounce on a FA and hopefully go on and win the big one.

...saints take notice...if this poster recommends something....do the opposite...you can't go wrong... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

ROLS-LEE wrote:I don't want any superstars at free agency. I don't want anyone taking a large chunk of the TPP pie. As good as Roo is and he was worth the money he was on, paying too much makes your bottom six players pretty ordinary. I would rather use free agency and get good B+ players that will contribute than have a couple of superstars and have eddy and mcqualter etc running around in a grand final team.

We should stop worrying about who the next great white hope is and field a team that contributes.
Agree, depending on our definitions of B+.

I'd consider Armitage a straight B, same with Farren Ray.

Probably consider Montagna a B+ over his entire career, Dal Santo a step up at the A grade level, Hayes a step further at A+.

Rob Harvey and Nick Riewoldt are too good for the conversation.

Adding 2-3 Montagna level players, will probably be the way to go (taking into account the salary cap and our appeal - or lack of - to free agents).

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Nick Dal Santo had two top three finishes in the Brownlow. He was or is indeed an A grader.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:I don't want any superstars at free agency. I don't want anyone taking a large chunk of the TPP pie. As good as Roo is and he was worth the money he was on, paying too much makes your bottom six players pretty ordinary. I would rather use free agency and get good B+ players that will contribute than have a couple of superstars and have eddy and mcqualter etc running around in a grand final team.

Probably consider Montagna a B+ over his entire career, Dal Santo a step up at the A grade level, Hayes a step further at A+.

Adding 2-3 Montagna level players, will probably be the way to go (taking into account the salary cap and our appeal - or lack of - to free agents).

you get it

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Beekay wrote:

you get it

This is exactly what I meant.

Imagine if Roo and co was on a much less than salary over the 2008+ seasons. Could have had another couple of montys type of players rather than an Eddy's etc.

I don't wont a saviour. I want a team of contributors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Beekay wrote:

you get it

Imagine if Roo and co was on a much less than salary over the 2008+ seasons. Could have had another couple of montys type of players rather than an Eddy's etc.

Yes but if they were on less then imagine they weren't there. I don't believe Rooy was overpaid because of what he brought to the club on and off the field. Sometimes some players just get more than you would like because they are 5 time AA or have won 6 B&F. The problem with us is we didn't win a flag so we couldn't use the stick together thing to keep players like Geelong and the Hawks could do and even then they lost champions.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Beekay wrote:

you get it
Never said he wasn't worth it. He was worth every penny, but what he was paid didn't help our talent at the bottom six of our team.

Im glad im not a doggies supporter paying way overs for Boyd. Hope it backfires. I just don't want us to do the same and buy in a champion or potential champion on BIG coin expecting them to be the difference. It could do the opposite and get a couple of our own players noses out of joint.

Yes but if they were on less then imagine they weren't there. I don't believe Rooy was overpaid because of what he brought to the club on and off the field. Sometimes some players just get more than you would like because they are 5 time AA or have won 6 B&F. The problem with us is we didn't win a flag so we couldn't use the stick together thing to keep players like Geelong and the Hawks could do and even then they lost champions.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The problem with Geelong and Hawks Plugger is that they lost champions in Buddy and Ablett and still won a GF without them. If we lost Roo, albeit we did to a degree in 2010, we still would have never won a GF. We would have never made it passed the prelims in 09 and 10.

We rely on to few and carry to many. That's been our biggest problem since the mid 80's when I started to watch and understand our game.

No more champions or saviours and lets get a team of contributors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:The problem with Geelong and Hawks Plugger is that they lost champions in Buddy and Ablett and still won a GF without them. If we lost Roo, albeit we did to a degree in 2010, we still would have never won a GF. We would have never made it passed the prelims in 09 and 10.

We rely on to few and carry to many. That's been our biggest problem since the mid 80's when I started to watch and understand our game.

So if we get a champion you would not pay him his worth and let him leave the club? Doesn't make sense to me. If we won the flag in 2009 my guess is BJ aqnd Dal would have stayed and Roo would have played for less money but when you lose players usually want more.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

My guess is that Roo was paid more than any other player in the league before the sully deal. Ablett was on much less and after winning 2 premiership then chose to chase the money. I heard the other night on radio that if Allen christian sorry for spelling was at the cats now he would be the second most paid at the club.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:The problem with Geelong and Hawks Plugger is that they lost champions in Buddy and Ablett and still won a GF without them. If we lost Roo, albeit we did to a degree in 2010, we still would have never won a GF. We would have never made it passed the prelims in 09 and 10.

So if we get a champion you would not pay him his worth and let him leave the club? Doesn't make sense to me. If we won the flag in 2009 my guess is BJ aqnd Dal would have stayed and Roo would have played for less money but when you lose players usually want more.

We didn't pay BJ what he wanted and rightly so.

Dal left as we forced him out for our rebuild.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We didn't pay BJ what he wanted and rightly so.

Dal left as we forced him out for our rebuild.

Yep and my point is BJ would not have wanted as much had we won a flag. My question still remains regarding whether you would keep a champion if the wanted very good rooy type money.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Would you rather Plugger have roo, mcqualter and eddy or 3x b+ players like a monty, burgoyne Enright etc for the same money.

There just quick names I came up with.

Also your own superstar is different than the one you buy at free agency or trade. Poor Boyd is going to live up to expectation now. Just like scully.

Also if we pay $$$$$$ to get a treloar etc then won't Steven want a pay rise or risk loosing him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Would you rather Plugger have roo, mcqualter and eddy or 3x b+ players like a monty, burgoyne Enright etc for the same money.

There just quick names I came up with.

Also your own superstar is different than the one you buy at free agency or trade. Poor Boyd is going to live up to expectation now. Just like scully.

Also if we pay $$$$$$ to get a treloar etc then won't Steven want a pay rise or risk loosing him

Id rather have Roo, Joey, Lenny, BJ, Chips. We had enough stars and I agree we didn't have enough depth but losing Rooy and hoping to get a good player from another club without paying more than their worth is fanciful. You keep your champions if you can.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Free agents in 2015 - targets?

I'd rather have them as well. My point is we paid too much for them and it hurt our bottom six. We need to be smarter next time round.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free agents in 2015 - targets?

ROLS-LEE wrote:I'd rather have them as well. My point is we paid too much for them and it hurt our bottom six. We need to be smarter next time round.

So again the question remains. Would you have let Rooy go when he asked for the money he finally got?