Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

White Winmar wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Concentrate on getting this club right ONFIELD! Let CV and the AFL and State government sort out their own mess.
It's sounding more and more as though we'll end up with Moorabbin as our base (good). In the end things look like going 360 degrees. Thanks Archie! The Seaford project will be consigned to history's bin of failed ventures. I'd still like to have some presence, even if it is only an administrative one, in our spiritual home, St.Kilda.

Why is it the spiritual home though. We haven't been there for 50 years. I would think maybe only about 20% of our supporters have seen a home game and if you are thinking like my old man he would say he doesn't try and remember them playing there. It just brings back bad memories.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Can someone succinctly please explain why we built a major complex in whoop whoop only to not like it and want to build another major complex inner-city?

Are the people that ticked off on the whoop whoop building getting built held to account?

What about the people that want the inner-city facilities? Did they want to the whoop whoop too?

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Concentrate on getting this club right ONFIELD! Let CV and the AFL and State government sort out their own mess.
It's sounding more and more as though we'll end up with Moorabbin as our base (good). In the end things look like going 360 degrees. Thanks Archie! The Seaford project will be consigned to history's bin of failed ventures. I'd still like to have some presence, even if it is only an administrative one, in our spiritual home, St.Kilda.

Why is it the spiritual home though. We haven't been there for 50 years. I would think maybe only about 20% of our supporters have seen a home game and if you are thinking like my old man he would say he doesn't try and remember them playing there. It just brings back bad memories.
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'spiritual'?

adjective: spiritual
relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We also have more history there than anywhere else.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Do you understand the meaning of the word 'spiritual'?

adjective: spiritual
relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

I do. I don't get your point. Who is spiritual for. Certainly not the players and bugger all supporters. Do you honestly think the players will give a rats about being back at a place when they weren't born or probably even their parents when we were last there. Hardly any of them would have barracked for the club when they were younger either. I think you are grasping at straws. Do understand that statement?

And yes WW we have more history. Pity most people most who remember that history try forget it or are dead.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And yes WW we have more history. Pity most people most who remember that history try forget it or are dead.
A lot would also like to forget most of the 70's and all of the 80's at Moorabbin.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
A lot would also like to forget most of the 70's and all of the 80's at Moorabbin.
Not all history has to be a walk in the park. In fact, hard times often bring up more nostalgia than endless good times. Plenty of s*** times at Moorabbin, but I still feel nostalgic for those times. My old man came here as a migrant in 1956. He was taken to a saints game at the junction by a friend and was hooked for life. Bought his first house in Moorabbin and that sealed our fate as life long saints. Despite the premiership and the early good times at Moorabbin, he always considered the junction as home. It's called nostalgia, P66.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's true but we won our only flag there and more than most are at least still alive.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm with you mate.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I spoke with a Hawthorn supporter who was in his mid-twenties in 2008 and he expressed disbelief that Hawthorn every played matches at Glenferrie Oval. When I told him they did, although it was a bit before my time, he said "did they?"

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's true but we won our only flag there and more than most are at least still alive.
We were uncompetitive for most of our years there though. Just have a look through the record books of the wooden spoons, the 200 point plus scores against us, the massive 20 goal plus annhialations, the inability for our team to compete against sides for decades - Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne. We didn't beat North Melbourne at Moorabbin for 14 years!

Resign it to the faded memories of the past I reckon. If people want to go and watch VFL there, great. We need a VFL side anyway - that IS the way to a successful future, but that could just as easily happen at Seaford as it could at Moorabbin. There are more families with kids down this way anyway.

Having said all of that Seaford in it's current form is a joke in so far as spectators and supporters are concerned, no arguments there. It doesn't even have public toilets, no bar, not even proper fencing around the training ground.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We were uncompetitive for most of our years there though. Just have a look through the record books of the wooden spoons, the 200 point plus scores against us, the massive 20 goal plus annhialations, the inability for our team to compete against sides for decades - Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne. We didn't beat North Melbourne at Moorabbin for 14 years!

Resign it to the faded memories of the past I reckon. If people want to go and watch VFL there, great. We need a VFL side anyway - that IS the way to a successful future, but that could just as easily happen at Seaford as it could at Moorabbin. There are more families with kids down this way anyway.

Having said all of that Seaford in it's current form is a joke in so far as spectators and supporters are concerned, no arguments there. It doesn't even have public toilets, no bar, not even proper fencing around the training ground.
I don't even get what you are saying. Where do you want us to train. By the sounds of it, no where. Im happy to stay in Seaford, im happy to go to Moorabbin if the facilities are better , im even happy to go to the JO if we have our own use of the facilities. Im saying none of those places will help us improve unless we get better players and none of them will get us out of the poo unless we start winning. Wherever we train there is no magical cure for poor sponsorship, poor membership and a poor side.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Alright, try this - I want us to train at Seaford as that is what was planned. That's just me. I also want us to have our own reserves side which could also very well play at Seaford. Clubs who have their very own reserves side such as Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood are able to develop players in positions. The Bulldogs won the VFL premiership this year and should reap the benefits. Port also have a SANFL team. I thought I made that point pretty clear and this is my strategy for combatting your relevant and correct point about currently having a poor side.
I honestly believe that a move lock, stock and barrel back to Moorabbin is a massive step backwards.
HOWEVER I also think that the very fact that our club family days are held at the Dolphins' VFL ground is an sbsolute embarrasment for our committee who laid the groundwork for the move to Seaford, highlighting the porkbarrel arrangement between the club, council and state government. Seaford has excellent gym facilities for the players and, from what we are led to believe, an excellent training surface, but has ZERO ammenities and facilities for rank and file members and prospective supporters to even watch an hour if training. Try taking small kids there to see the players. Trust me, it is appalling for us, the member or barracker. Requires developing, which will not happen if we don't commit to it.
I could never understand how the club thought that they would be able to train in one location, have pokies and a soulless toilet for a bar in another, and make it work - all without a reserves side. At least the Frankston Council want us there - Cricket Victoria and Kingston Council have certainly let us know, in no uncertain terms that we are persona non grata back at Moorabbin or the Junction. I think having the occasional public event at the Junction is excellent PR and promotion which will help with attracting meaningful sponsorship, but that presence does not require us to train there.
Moorabbin to me looks antiquated and from a bygone era.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Alright, try this - I want us to train at Seaford as that is what was planned. That's just me. I also want us to have our own reserves side which could also very well play at Seaford. Clubs who have their very own reserves side such as Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood are able to develop players in positions. The Bulldogs won the VFL premiership this year and should reap the benefits. Port also have a SANFL team. I thought I made that point pretty clear and this is my strategy for combatting your relevant and correct point about currently having a poor side.
I honestly believe that a move lock, stock and barrel back to Moorabbin is a massive step backwards.
HOWEVER I also think that the very fact that our club family days are held at the Dolphins' VFL ground is an sbsolute embarrasment for our committee who laid the groundwork for the move to Seaford, highlighting the porkbarrel arrangement between the club, council and state government.
I could never understand how the club thought that they would be able to train in one location, have pokies and a soulless toilet for a bar in another, and make it work - all without a reserves side. At least the Frankston Council want us there - Cricket Victoria and Kingston Council have certainly let us know, in no uncertain terms that we are persona non grata back at Moorabbin or the Junction. I think having the occasional public event at the Junction is excellent PR and promotion which will help with attracting meaningful sponsorship, but that presence does not require us to train there.
Moorabbin to me looks antiquated and from a bygone era.

Im not sure if you have read what I have been saying but I have said all along that I don't care about training at Seaford. The only reason that I mentioned Moorabbin is because its more logical than the JO. We would get 100% of profits there and the pokies would get a lift in income. Also it doesn't matter if you want the reserves to play at Seaford because unless something changes it will be Moorabbin so again if some reason we have to leave Seaford then again it makes Moorabbin for logical than the JO because 11 million would have already been spent on it. The way I see it we either stay at Seaord or move to Moorabbin unless we are guaranteed complete control over the facilities at the JO and 100% of profits made there. The pokies cannot be moved from Moorabbin though as we cant do that.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. What I would like to see happen, can't happen, due to lease agreements, contracts with a council, and issues around planning and development. I think those in a position to, at our club, did an extremely poor job negotiating with councillors at Moorabbin/Kingston, and then blundered with the location of our state of the art training facility, which is nevertheless poor for anyone who wants to watch training. I agree with everything you are saying, but I am disagreeing with what some others are saying.
On the face of it, the big issue is the mammoth lease we have at Moorabbin - but some people here think that we should go back and train there full- time, thereby rewarding a selfish,self serving council, and back out of an agreement at a modern, brand new training facility, and with a council who actually want us there, and then join a partnership with, amongst others, Cricket Victoria who hate us more than Moorabbin council and have actually conducted a war of words through the media already!! Well; that's certainly a recipe for success, isn't it?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Cricket Victoria can go and f*** themselves.
Agreed. :evil:

What idiots!

Keeping us out will cost them tens of millions in extra funding for extra facilities. They will also lose the opportunity for cross pollination of ideas, contacts, sponsors, foot traffic through the venue, media coverage...

And for what...?

I'm really looking forward to watching 'em play centre wicket turf cricket in July. Imagine a cricket ball smacking into you (as a batsman or fielder)... in wind chill factor zero degrees... :roll:

Repeating yourself a hundred times doesnt make you right, it makes you wrong 100 times. Why would CV give 2 hoots about us being involved especially as you think that we will eventually play on the ground. That is the last thing they want. Im completely with CV on this.
I was right the first time, so that's not why I need repeat myself, P66... :idea:

As for those CV clowns... and here's another repeat... I'm looking forward to watching 'em play a few games out in the middle of JO ... in early July. :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

thejiggingsaint wrote:... The priority remains for me (after 27 pages of this thread) to get successful ON THE FIELD! Story ended!
I totally agree Dave... but... one doesn't built on shaky foundations.

Again, I reference Fitzroy :( , the Dreamons, Tuggers and Skunks (mid-1980s)... and even the Dawks (mid 1990s)... and that rabble on Royal Parade (mid 2000s). viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86939&start=575#p1523220

LONG TERM on the field success requires off the field success.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

LONG TERM on the field success requires off the field success.
AMEN to that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Cricket Victoria can go and f*** themselves.
Agreed. :evil:

What idiots!

Keeping us out will cost them tens of millions in extra funding for extra facilities. They will also lose the opportunity for cross pollination of ideas, contacts, sponsors, foot traffic through the venue, media coverage...

And for what...?

I'm really looking forward to watching 'em play centre wicket turf cricket in July. Imagine a cricket ball smacking into you (as a batsman or fielder)... in wind chill factor zero degrees... :roll:

Repeating yourself a hundred times doesnt make you right, it makes you wrong 100 times. Why would CV give 2 hoots about us being involved especially as you think that we will eventually play on the ground. That is the last thing they want. Im completely with CV on this.
I was right the first time, so that's not why I need repeat myself, P66... :idea:

As for those CV clowns... and here's another repeat... I'm looking forward to watching 'em play a few games out in the middle of JO ... in early July. :lol:

Dave please get it through your head, if we train at the JO it will be on the outside ground. It doesn't matter if CV are using the JO or not on July because we aren't part of that. At the moment we aren't even part of the facilities. CV don't give a stuff if the ground is vacant in July. CV aren't the clowns anyway. Its people who even think there is the slightest chance of AFL footy ever being played on the JO ever again. Zig and Zag would be proud of those clowns.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Brighton/Elsternwick ?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Elsternwick Park, Brighton mentioned in The Age today as an alternate home.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2g64d.html

I don't see any point moving here if Moorabbin is still available.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Elsternwick would be a good locaton for us, being next door to St,Kilda. Unfortunately, in a contest for Elsternwick Park with Melbourne, I cant see us being successful if the decision is to be made by Brighton Council. I think that Saint supporters would be fairly strong in Brighton,but I think Melbourne would be well represented too.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Elsternwick would be a good locaton for us, being next door to St,Kilda. Unfortunately, in a contest for Elsternwick Park with Melbourne, I cant see us being successful if the decision is to be made by Brighton Council. I think that Saint supporters would be fairly strong in Brighton,but I think Melbourne would be well represented too.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Elsternwick Park, Brighton mentioned in The Age today as an alternate home.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2g64d.html

I don't see any point moving here if Moorabbin is still available.
What the heck is going on here? Why do we want to move? Surely we can't afford to move. If we do move, and now that JO is out of the picture, then surely it would be back to Moorabbin where our social club is located. I realize the fences have come down there so not sure how we charge for entry for a VFL game but that is the only logical move (even though we can't afford it).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!