Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Jacks Back wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Elsternwick Park, Brighton mentioned in The Age today as an alternate home.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2g64d.html

I don't see any point moving here if Moorabbin is still available.
What the heck is going on here? Why do we want to move? Surely we can't afford to move. If we do move, and now that JO is out of the picture, then surely it would be back to Moorabbin where our social club is located. I realize the fences have come down there so not sure how we charge for entry for a VFL game but that is the only logical move (even though we can't afford it).

I think Moorabbin is still going ahead. Isnt this for the senior club to train and if it its a silly move unless the ammos move out and im not sure they would want to afterall they have been there for as long as I remember. If some reason we have to move from Seaford and the JO is out then it must be Moorabbin as our pokies are there and 11 million will have already been spent on it to get it to VFL standard. Surely that is where extra money should be spent.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if we could re-visit the ORIGINAL plan for Moorabbin? I think that plan was for the Social Club-Pokies to shift down to the corner, the Admin-High Performance Centre to be where the old car park overlooking an OPEN Oval. That way, we could have an elite training facility AND a Money Making Venue at the same place !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Where's Barks4eva?

He always banged on about going to Elsternwick Park and it turns out he may have been right.

But I'm not interested in our club getting into a bunfight with the Melbourne FC.

It's all or nothing.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Where's Barks4eva?

He always banged on about going to Elsternwick Park and it turns out he may have been right.

But I'm not interested in our club getting into a bunfight with the Melbourne FC.

It's all or nothing.
To be fair I believe it was me that put that idea into his head originally, and I'm still here!

Regarding sharing facilities.
Can anybody advise what type of requirements are needed for an AFL training facility?
Is it actually possible to 'share' a training facility with another AFL Club, or VFL side?
Or are the demands n the facility so great for an AFL Club that it precludes any real 'sharing'?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:I wonder if we could re-visit the ORIGINAL plan for Moorabbin? I think that plan was for the Social Club-Pokies to shift down to the corner, the Admin-High Performance Centre to be where the old car park overlooking an OPEN Oval. That way, we could have an elite training facility AND a Money Making Venue at the same place !!
Moving the pokies to the corner was one of the big stumbling blocks. The council never backed us and if we couldn't move the pokies the whole thing fell over.
I doubt very much Elsternwick will happen given how many other groups are interested and would be located there. I just feel the club is exploring any option that cones up, as it should. The important thing is, though, that we have to have us of the facility for 12 months of the year and we have to have a certain amount of control. At the moment the only places that can guarantee that are Seaford and Moorabbin.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Eastern wrote:I wonder if we could re-visit the ORIGINAL plan for Moorabbin? I think that plan was for the Social Club-Pokies to shift down to the corner, the Admin-High Performance Centre to be where the old car park overlooking an OPEN Oval. That way, we could have an elite training facility AND a Money Making Venue at the same place !!
Moving the pokies to the corner was one of the big stumbling blocks. The council never backed us and if we couldn't move the pokies the whole thing fell over.
I doubt very much Elsternwick will happen given how many other groups are interested and would be located there. I just feel the club is exploring any option that cones up, as it should. The important thing is, though, that we have to have us of the facility for 12 months of the year and we have to have a certain amount of control. At the moment the only places that can guarantee that are Seaford and Moorabbin.
I think those on the council who were "Close" to those who ran the pub/pokies venue down the road have long since gone, so it might have a better chance now !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm of the opinion that IF we have to relocate ( AGAIN :roll: ) then it should be to a venue where we have a modicum of ownership! Moorabbin for mine. Happy New Year to all, by the way!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Brighton/Elsternwick ?
why the flower would we want to go there.

"Elsternwick, which now sits in the fifth tier of the VAFA, has been based at the park for nearly a century. It now plays out of the secondary oval, with the main ground used for VAFA finals and feature matches.

"As far as Melbourne and St Kilda taking it over - they've got the money and they've got the power, but don't just run us out. I'm going to kick up a fuss about this if it happens, just to make sure we get our just desert," Convery said.

"I want a 99-year lease, because as soon as these bastards get in there they'll say: 'Oh sorry, we want it for ourselves.' "

Then opposition leader Andrews said that the golf proposal would be a significant boon for the sport when he made the pledge in November.

"Having all the different bodies under one roof [and] giving them the best facilities, that's how we will create the best players and the best prospects for the future," Andrews said."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Enough already! Let's just head back to Moorabbin and be done with it!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Can't argue with that one WW!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This is a big ruse

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Elsternwick Park -
what a lot of h*rsesh*t.

If this cr*p continues we will end up like Melbourne or Fitzroy.

Get a reserves team first and keep training at Seaford . This is the most ridiculous saga since OJ Simpson's trial!
I am so over it. :roll:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Elsternwick Park, Brighton mentioned in The Age today as an alternate home.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2g64d.html

I don't see any point moving here if Moorabbin is still available.
What the heck is going on here? Why do we want to move? Surely we can't afford to move. If we do move, and now that JO is out of the picture, then surely it would be back to Moorabbin where our social club is located. I realize the fences have come down there so not sure how we charge for entry for a VFL game but that is the only logical move (even though we can't afford it).

So that we can make sure that those 15 people who attend VFL games in the middle of June, who aren't already football club members, can pay.

The issue is getting a reserves side back on the field - worry about the micro aspects later. P.S. I hear we'll be training at Westgarth Reserve in 2016.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm of the opinion that IF we have to relocate ( AGAIN :roll: ) then it should be to a venue where we have a modicum of ownership! Moorabbin for mine. Happy New Year to all, by the way!
Very true.

But no harm in shopping ourselves around like a twenty dollar whore.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm of the opinion that IF we have to relocate ( AGAIN :roll: ) then it should be to a venue where we have a modicum of ownership! Moorabbin for mine. Happy New Year to all, by the way!
I've got a paddock up at Wandiligong in NE Victoria they can use................. I'm a Saints member.......... will that suffice as a modicum of ownership for the Saints to relocate to jiggster????????????? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Very true.

But no harm in shopping ourselves around like a twenty dollar whore.
more like a 2 buck whore......i think you are over-valuing our industrious leaders....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good one Loris! :lol: :lol: :lol: happy new year to you!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
I've got a paddock up at Wandiligong in NE Victoria they can use................. I'm a Saints member.......... will that suffice as a modicum of ownership for the Saints to relocate to jiggster????????????? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
We could use the Wandi pub as our social club. Does it still go off on a Friday night, Loris? :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Good one Loris! :lol: :lol: :lol: happy new year to you!
Return of those sentiments to you 'young fella' :P :P

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

This Elsternwick Park thing has to be a joke, right(?)

This is the long game we're playing. CV will eventually wake up to the mutual advantages of working with us.

JO all the way. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:
We could use the Wandi pub as our social club. Does it still go off on a Friday night, Loris? :D
I'm sure it does WW, I'm sure it does....... alas I haven't been back there for years.

Do you know that Godzowne little valley WW?

The late hubby's ancestral home sits on your left as you come over the rise of road into Wandi where the Wandiligong sign is. Delightfully quaint, old brick miners cottage set back from the road surrounded by huge ancient chestnut trees. There always were artists encamped outside the house doing a plein air paintings of the picturesque scene. Actually, as I type this post, I look upon a painting of the cottage on my study wall, painted by an old Wandi local who gave it to us for our wedding present.

Aaah lovely memories of a wonderful valley. When we used to escape up there at least for a week-end every couple of months to rid ourselves of the stress of Melbourne and work. The hubby, at dusk, when 'the hatch' was on, would wade into Morse's Creek, catch a few rainbow trout then we would walk down to the Wandi Pub and they would cook your feed for you - that was the habit for many locals, take your catch down to the pub and let them prepare the meal for you and who ever would want to share it with you. Such simple, inclusive times of a wonderful community, where the pub and the footy oval were the hub of all community activities.

'though in the 70's we had to fight to keep the valley safe from the vandals.
The 'chattering classes' aka vandals, from Melbourne started noticing the area (close to the ski fields etc) and began building inappropriate brick veneer (yucky, yuck) suburban holiday houses to blight the landscape. Eventually Wandi was saved, as the valley was protected by being granted an area of historical significance, so thankfully some building standards were set before the greed of the vandals set in.

I'm sure by now the pub has become a little more 'up market'. And, it is required to adhere to health regulations, observe safety standards and only allow a certain number of patrons to be 'sardined' inside its walls at one time and, ofcourse uphold the safe serving of liquor regs!!!!!!

Times and standards move on eh? Some gains, many losses?? All depends on one's point of view.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:This Elsternwick Park thing has to be a joke, right(?)

This is the long game we're playing. CV will eventually wake up to the mutual advantages of working with us.

JO all the way. 8-)

I feel sorry for you. Its over Dave. All the crap you were told was just that.

Scoop
Club Player

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:
I'm sure it does WW, I'm sure it does....... alas I haven't been back there for years.

Do you know that Godzowne little valley WW?

The late hubby's ancestral home sits on your left as you come over the rise of road into Wandi where the Wandiligong sign is. Delightfully quaint, old brick miners cottage set back from the road surrounded by huge ancient chestnut trees. There always were artists encamped outside the house doing a plein air paintings of the picturesque scene. Actually, as I type this post, I look upon a painting of the cottage on my study wall, painted by an old Wandi local who gave it to us for our wedding present.

Aaah lovely memories of a wonderful valley. When we used to escape up there at least for a week-end every couple of months to rid ourselves of the stress of Melbourne and work. The hubby, at dusk, when 'the hatch' was on, would wade into Morse's Creek, catch a few rainbow trout then we would walk down to the Wandi Pub and they would cook your feed for you - that was the habit for many locals, take your catch down to the pub and let them prepare the meal for you and who ever would want to share it with you. Such simple, inclusive times of a wonderful community, where the pub and the footy oval were the hub of all community activities.

'though in the 70's we had to fight to keep the valley safe from the vandals.
The 'chattering classes' aka vandals, from Melbourne started noticing the area (close to the ski fields etc) and began building inappropriate brick veneer (yucky, yuck) suburban holiday houses to blight the landscape. Eventually Wandi was saved, as the valley was protected by being granted an area of historical significance, so thankfully some building standards were set before the greed of the vandals set in.

I'm sure by now the pub has become a little more 'up market'. And, it is required to adhere to health regulations, observe safety standards and only allow a certain number of patrons to be 'sardined' inside its walls at one time and, ofcourse uphold the safe serving of liquor regs!!!!!!

Times and standards move on eh? Some gains, many losses?? All depends on one's point of view.
Went to a wedding up there earlier in the year, loris, and the reception was in the Wandi pub.

Fantastic old pub...not sure that it has gone upmarket...looked pretty rustic to me....chooks running around...and the 'beer garden' was out the back under a big tree with plenty of old wooden tables and benches...fantastic night. Mind you, I was somewhat worse for wear the next morning!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There's certainly no love for us our there. I say we just make the best of Moorabbin. Surely it's the closest thing to our spiritual home. Junction Oval is ancient history and the demographic of the area isn't actually footy focussed.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
loris wrote:

Went to a wedding up there earlier in the year, loris, and the reception was in the Wandi pub.

Fantastic old pub...not sure that it has gone upmarket...looked pretty rustic to me....chooks running around...and the 'beer garden' was out the back under a big tree with plenty of old wooden tables and benches...fantastic night. Mind you, I was somewhat worse for wear the next morning!!
Ta Scoop :P That is music to my ears ................... so pleased 'progress' hasn't destroyed the authenticity of the Wandi pub.

Pity I didn't know you were going to a wedding there Scoop, you could have taken a tent and pitched it on my paddock, it's only about 1 km further on from the pub, with a creek running along the back boundary.

You could have had the complete rustic experience, to match the Wandi pub experience.

Camping amongst the cattle that keep the grass down on the paddock and grabbing a little milk from their udders for the breakfast cuppa. A quick dip in the creek for the mornings ablutions..... it would be a quick dip as the creek feeds down from the mountains and is a triffle chilly to say the least. Toilet facilities are free range, just add your deposit to the nearest cow pat. :shock: No accommodation charge for a Sainter, just make sure you shut the gate on the way out, the locals don't like the cattle roaming the streets......... oh, that is if you can get your car out of the paddock............. it does get very boggy there. If you have a Toorak Tractor you should be OK :wink:

Sorry to hear you were worse for wear the next morning. I'm sure it wasn't your lack of restraint in drinking the local beverages from the district?? They tell me the Wandi pub flushes the beer taps through with local Morses' Creek water.............. it's all a part of the authenticity thingy. So blame the water Scoop dear fellow :wink:

Thanks again on the feedback on the Wandi Pub