Chris Pelchen - The aftermath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chris Pelchen - The aftermath

Bunk_Moreland wrote:What language are you two speaking?
Banglish.

Bunk_Moreland wrote:What language are you two speaking?

I was typing.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone else have concerns over Pelchen leaving? To me its no coincidence that we have had our two best years recruiting with him there (after seeing off Mr Watters rather muddled approach). Its weird how he always seems to leave clubs with this cloud hanging over him. He seems his own man and a really ruthless operator with getting talent into the list and you need that cold blooded approach in this ruthless AFL environment. Coaches will always be keeping an eye on immediate performances to keep their job but that doesn't necessarily translate into the best long term approach. Richo will know that he can probably finish last this year and he'll be ok. But what about last the following year? And/or last the year after that. Does the heat come on for his job then? Will he be tempted to start to stack the list with more experienced dudes? I think that is where Pelchen would have been a good counter balance. I'm hoping Elshaugh has the balls to make sure our rebuild continues with quality young talent because history tends to show that coaches that start the rebuilds aren't there at the pointy end of the flag window.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I've got no doubt there were disagreements that forced the pelican out and I base that on what I've been told by someone who should know. Richo can't afford to finish last three years in a row. Another spoon next year will be tolerated, but after that he'll be right under the pump and that's probably fair enough. The spreadsheet is still in the trout's possession, so the plan may still be in place, but if we have another poor year, will they have the strength to stick with it?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I've got no doubt there were disagreements that forced the pelican out and I base that on what I've been told by someone who should know. Richo can't afford to finish last three years in a row. Another spoon next year will be tolerated, but after that he'll be right under the pump and that's probably fair enough. The spreadsheet is still in the trout's possession, so the plan may still be in place, but if we have another poor year, will they have the strength to stick with it?
I know Richo has been spruiking that all was great with Mr Pelchan and they were top heavy in recruiting. But then why couldn't someone else go? They obviously got him in for reason. I wonder if Pelchen really wanted Petracca and was pushing to be more ruthless with the list. He seems to ruffle feathers wherever he goes but that can be a good thing. I give big props to Richo the way he has developed young players and got good player buy-in in extremely tough times. But we really don't know if he's any good tactically. I just wish we had kept the Pelican for another couple of years to do this rebuild right.

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I heard a Richmond official on SEN (about mid-week) discussing the possible trades they tried to do.
He claimed they approached St Kilda re Armitage early on and were told no, under no circumstances.
They then approached Melbourne re Trengrove for that same Pick #12.

There was no 'deal for Armitage' so therefore the story is just another 'crap rumour' designed to vilify someone.
yes....
I've been trying to find this info......... but can't ......... there was an interview with Armo, sometime in Dec.

Now, I can't recall if it was just before or after the NZ Training camp. Also I can't recall whether it was a video interview on the AFL site or Saints.com.................. or it could have been a link to somewhere that Saintbrat put up for us.

OR,

It may NOT have been a video. it may have been just an article of an interview with Armitage. Again, it may have been on the AFL.com or Saints.com sites, or maybe bratty put up a link for us somewhere........................... so I can't recall much can I ??? :oops: :oops:

What I CAN recall from the interview, was:

Armitage was holidaying (overseas I think) during trade week. He received a telephone call from Alan Richardson. Armo said something like, he was concerned when he saw whose number it was. However, Alan phoned to tell him there had been rumours re trade for Armo, and Alan just wanted to re-assure him there was no such intention by St Kilda to entertain any trade offer for him.

Now surely someone else saw/read this interview/article.................... Armo wasn't going to be traded as MM says.

I wasn't dreaming I read/saw this was I ? :? :? :? Help me out Bratty :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I heard a Richmond official on SEN (about mid-week) discussing the possible trades they tried to do.
He claimed they approached St Kilda re Armitage early on and were told no, under no circumstances.

There was no 'deal for Armitage' so therefore the story is just another 'crap rumour' designed to vilify someone.
yes....
I've been trying to find this info......... but can't ......... there was an interview with Armo, sometime in Dec.

Now, I can't recall if it was just before or after the NZ Training camp. Also I can't recall whether it was a video interview on the AFL site or Saints.com.................. or it could have been a link to somewhere that Saintbrat put up for us.

OR,

It may NOT have been a video. it may have been just an article of an interview with Armitage. Again, it may have been on the AFL.com or Saints.com sites, or maybe bratty put up a link for us somewhere........................... so I can't recall much can I ??? :oops: :oops:

Armitage was holidaying (overseas I think) during trade week. He received a telephone call from Alan Richardson. Armo said something like, he was concerned when he saw whose number it was. However, Alan phoned to tell him there had been rumours re trade for Armo, and Alan just wanted to re-assure him there was no such intention by St Kilda to entertain any trade offer for him.

Now surely someone else saw/read this interview/article.................... Armo wasn't going to be traded as MM says.

you're not dreaming...i remember reading the same article.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

whole thread on it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87815&p=1521078&hil ... e#p1521078
THE 2014 season had just finished and St Kilda midfielder David Armitage was sitting in the Melbourne airport terminal, about to fly off for a holiday in the United States when coach Alan Richardson’s name flashed up on his mobile phone.

“I thought to myself, ‘This is a bit weird’,’’ Armitage recalled.

“This was before the trade period and he just said, ‘Armo, you might hear a little bit of talk around the traps that you’re up for trade, but I’m telling you right now that you’re not going anywhere’.

“He told me that Richmond had shown a bit of interest in me, but that he was being up front and honest in letting me know that I was definitely staying at the club.’’
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 7147082437

but as per usual the rumour mongers on here prefer to deabte the debate and change history

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:
stinger wrote:

yes....

OR,

At our age stinger dear love............. who know what we remember or dream. :? :? We are opening ourselves up to all the ageist posts now eh?

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:whole thread on it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87815&p=1521078&hil ... e#p1521078
THE 2014 season had just finished and St Kilda midfielder David Armitage was sitting in the Melbourne airport terminal, about to fly off for a holiday in the United States when coach Alan Richardson’s name flashed up on his mobile phone.

“I thought to myself, ‘This is a bit weird’,’’ Armitage recalled.

“This was before the trade period and he just said, ‘Armo, you might hear a little bit of talk around the traps that you’re up for trade, but I’m telling you right now that you’re not going anywhere’.

“He told me that Richmond had shown a bit of interest in me, but that he was being up front and honest in letting me know that I was definitely staying at the club.’’
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 7147082437

but as per usual the rumour mongers on here prefer to deabte the debate and change history

Thanks Bratty.......... I just found it myself..........when I first found this post this arvo I only looked at the bit you had originally highlighted for us and it wasn't this section and thought it wasn't the one....so going back I few mins ago, I opened the whole link and THERE IT WAS :P :P :P :P :P

Hey Stinger nothing wrong with our memories eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:
loris wrote:
stinger wrote:

yes....

OR,

At our age stinger dear love............. who know what we remember or dream. :? :? We are opening ourselves up to all the ageist posts now eh?
Yeah make sure you don't mistake your distance glasses for your reading glasses.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

Yeah make sure you don't mistake your distance glasses for your reading glasses.

Cheeky possum!!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Pelchen more than earned his place with 1 deal. In effect Mc Evoy for Dunstan (he will be a champion), Acres & Savage. A deal that many on here identify as a win, win for both clubs. It wasn't a win, win we actually reamed Hawthorn on that deal. We also undid the folly of recruiting McEvoy with pick 7 ahead of Cyril Rioli and others, when Essendon got Bellchambers in the pre season or rookie draft the same year. We have fixed that and possibly come out ahead.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Pelchen more than earned his place with 1 deal. In effect Mc Evoy for Dunstan (he will be a champion), Acres & Savage. A deal that many on here identify as a win, win for both clubs. It wasn't a win, win we actually reamed Hawthorn on that deal. We also undid the folly of recruiting McEvoy with pick 7 ahead of Cyril Rioli and others, when Essendon got Bellchambers in the pre season or rookie draft the same year. We have fixed that and possibly come out ahead.

Ben and the Hawks won a flag so they were hardly reamed and there is no proof we may not got at least one of those players anyway without the deal. If I was a Hawks supporter I wouldn't give a rats.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Pelchen more than earned his place with 1 deal. In effect Mc Evoy for Dunstan (he will be a champion), Acres & Savage. A deal that many on here identify as a win, win for both clubs. It wasn't a win, win we actually reamed Hawthorn on that deal. We also undid the folly of recruiting McEvoy with pick 7 ahead of Cyril Rioli and others, when Essendon got Bellchambers in the pre season or rookie draft the same year. We have fixed that and possibly come out ahead.

Ben and the Hawks won a flag so they were hardly reamed and there is no proof we may not got at least one of those players anyway without the deal. If I was a Hawks supporter I wouldn't give a rats.
Reamed all the way to a Premiership. I'd gladly exchange places.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it was pick 9 from memory. Apparently according to someone that claimed to have spoken to Bevo we were expecting Brisbane to take Mc Evoy and we were all over Lauchie Henderson. Brisbane had no rucks of quality at the time so was expected to a no brainer and we did a last minute panic swap. Henderson was later traded for Fev to Carlton and probably would have been a pretty handy player in the era we struggled for tall back-men.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Haven't really read the whole thread but will say this.

Pelchen reminds me of one of those dudes who is hired externally to come in and do a mass round of redundancies and then goes somewhere else to do the same.

Whilst I hate that strategy as a rule, I do think we needed exactly what he's done. We'll always have a hard time competing with Gold Coast and GWS but we won't be far away, either.

We might pinch a flag if we get another six-eight really top recruits in the next two years (by drafting, trading and free agency).

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

have to agree - Hawks hardly reamed. Dunstan will be a very very good player, but Hawks got the 2014 premiership. The trade may end up very good but a flag is a flag amd Mac was very good in the GF in my opinion.

Still cant fault the trade, Ben had currency, we got Dunstan who was second in the rising star last season and looks a long term high quality player.

You are garbage - Enough said
Legendary
Club Player

Agree with evertonfc - Pelchen was effectively a consultant brought in to fix a problem. Which he fixed.

When he was hired, we were on track to pay over the salary cap and breach the AFL rules for at least two consecutive seasons, such was the position of our TPP. We had one of the three oldest lists in the competition and the lowest number of combined first and second round draft picks aged under 25 in the AFL.

Pelchen turned all that around inside 4 years and implemented a long-term strategy for building a premiership team. He assembled a strong group of list management and recruiting staff, whose expertise spanned the legal and financial aspects (Bains) and the footy and talent identification aspects (Elshaug & co).

The club identified that 90% of Pelchen's work was done - yes, he could have hung around for another few years tweaking his strategy and overseeing it, but we had used up most of his core skills. He had also transferred the bulk of his IP to Bains and Elshaug, so they could continue his work.

My word (FWIW) from the board is that Pelchen's departure was amicable, the staff in his area + Richo and the coaches respected him, it was simply a decision based on moving resources to a greater area of need...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Still cant fault the trade, Ben had currency, we got Dunstan who was second in the rising star last season and looks a long term high quality player.
2nd or equal 7th. Basically the same.

2014 NAB AFL RISING STAR

Player Team Votes

Lewis Taylor BL 39
Marcus Bontempelli WB 38
Luke McDonald NM 32
James Aish BL 19
Kade Kolodjashnij GC 7
Luke Dunstan STK 5
Tom Langdon COLL 5

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I was told the club was 90% sick of the pelican, Legendary. There was friction over his departure, from what I've been told, but in the end, the club felt his loss was not devastating. I've also been told by someone close to the process that he was definitely told he would be sacked if he didn't leave voluntarily. Make of it what you will.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I was told the club was 90% sick of the pelican, Legendary. There was friction over his departure, from what I've been told, but in the end, the club felt his loss was not devastating. I've also been told by someone close to the process that he was definitely told he would be sacked if he didn't leave voluntarily. Make of it what you will.

That's how I heard it as well.

falka
Club Player

I wonder what the main issue was?

Petracca?
Wanting to Trade Armo out?

What was the tipping point?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Come on Legendary - you are always the positive spin piece for the club......we have WW and plugs who are both senior posters saying Pelican was giving the club staff the shytes, it's very rare a person on very good income happily leaves an organisation without walking into another job, unless they are retiring.

Sure, a lot of IP has gone to others inside the club - had that not happened Pelican would've been sacked earlier.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:I wonder what the main issue was?

Petracca?
Wanting to Trade Armo out?

What was the tipping point?

neither of those

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.