Saints to appoint Wayne Hughes to Recruiting Department

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to appoint Wayne Hughes to Recruiting Department

Looks like Hughes started at Carlton in the 2004 season. Here's his record with recycled players:

2004: Callum Chambers - 12 games
2004: Troy Longmuir - 12 games
2005: Jason Saddington - 20 games
2005: Dylan McLaren - 13 games
2006: Cain Ackland - 21 games
2006: Cameron Cloke - 36 games
2007: Richard Hadley - 25 games
2007: Chris Judd - 137 games (1x Brownlow, 1x MVP, 3x B&F, 4x AA)
2007: Darren Pfeiffer - 7 games
2008: Robbie Warnock - 65 games
2008: Chris Johnson - 15 games
2009: Lachie Henderson - 86 games
2009: Brock McLean - 63 games
2010: Andrew Collins - 11 games
2010: Jeremy Laidler - 24 games
2011: none
2012: none
2013: Sam Docherty - 16 games
2013: Andrejs Everitt - 17 games
2013: Dale Thomas - 20 games

Not sure how many of those he was responsible for. Only two real successes and you couldn't call Judd a choice from Hughes. So Lachie Henderson is maybe the only one who could count as a recycling success. And that was just because they got lucky that Brissie overpaid for Fev.

He'd want to do a bit better than that for us.

sasaint
Club Player

Wouldn't normally suggest this but I think there's a real case for the club to post a profile or bio of Hughes to show why he is suited to the role because everything that has been posted above does not fill us with confidence. The Saints are one team that has a woeful track record on this type of recycled recruiting recently and we really need to get back to the days of D-train and Hammil success stories.

Patience young grasshopper
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Wouldn't normally suggest this but I think there's a real case for the club to post a profile or bio of Hughes to show why he is suited to the role because everything that has been posted above does not fill us with confidence. The Saints are one team that has a woeful track record on this type of recycled recruiting recently and we really need to get back to the days of D-train and Hammil success stories.
Agree, sasaint. Where is the profile/bio? The club's normally very quick to post them, unless I've missed something. This appointment smacks of the sort political parties make just before a break in parliament sitting. In this case it's Xmas. I just hope this isn't an appointment borne of desperation, given there's not much left to choose from at this time of year. I guess the appointment is not official yet.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stjohnc
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:He was my Under 16's coach in 1980.
Are you a Noble Boy??

Viking3
Club Player

stjohnc wrote:
Are you a Noble Boy??
Was a Noble boy.
Too bloody old now!!!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
stjohnc
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:
stjohnc wrote:
Are you a Noble Boy??
Was a Noble boy.
Too bloody old now!!!
Fair enough

chook23
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
chook23 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Well the role will be as a pro-scout, which is a brand new way of thinking in recruitment at afl clubs.

Trout and the existing staff are all over the kids and killing it. It's a new role, maybe he had a lot to do with getting Judd on board (in addition to the Visy contracts) - who knows, but I have faith we are recruiting the right guys for the right roles.
We are also looking at appointing a full time scout ......just for the kids / untried

I mentioned in another post Con may not like where this person is coming from.....

but I am sure the person will be in CONTROL of the situation.
A bit cryptic for me. Are we getting Maxwell Smart? Did Con want someone from KAOS?
Part of your question is very warm.
Very warm indeed.....Kos

check the club appointments............Con will discuss where he came from!

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
chook23 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Well the role will be as a pro-scout, which is a brand new way of thinking in recruitment at afl clubs.

Trout and the existing staff are all over the kids and killing it. It's a new role, maybe he had a lot to do with getting Judd on board (in addition to the Visy contracts) - who knows, but I have faith we are recruiting the right guys for the right roles.
We are also looking at appointing a full time scout ......just for the kids / untried

I mentioned in another post Con may not like where this person is coming from.....

A bit cryptic for me. Are we getting Maxwell Smart? Did Con want someone from KAOS?
Very warm indeed.....Kos

The recently retired Collingwood captain?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
chook23 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Very warm indeed.....Kos

You have not read the appointments MM

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
chook23 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Very warm indeed.....Kos

You have not read the appointments MM
Yep, just did.
Con will be irate :)
Maxwell Smart's nephew Mark from the Oakleigh Chargers!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

older saint
SS Life Member

Real worry this appointment from Carlton- for some reason we have recruited a guy who has a poor record of doing a similar job elsewhere. Its like recruiting a teams first round pick who has been delisted after 4 seasons in the reserves?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Real worry this appointment from Carlton- for some reason we have recruited a guy who has a poor record of doing a similar job elsewhere. Its like recruiting a teams first round pick who has been delisted after 4 seasons in the reserves?
I fear you may be right. As someone who has worked in the AFL recruiting environment, I can tell you that plenty of insiders think he's a muppet. Very worrying appointment.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
older saint wrote:Real worry this appointment from Carlton- for some reason we have recruited a guy who has a poor record of doing a similar job elsewhere. Its like recruiting a teams first round pick who has been delisted after 4 seasons in the reserves?
I fear you may be right. As someone who has worked in the AFL recruiting environment, I can tell you that plenty of insiders think he's a muppet. Very worrying appointment.
S let's hypothesize, as nobody here would actually know the real truth on this.

What are the options?
1. The Club did no due diligence and appointed him.
2. The Club did some due diligence and found nothing untoward about him.
3. The Club did some due diligence, fund some unflattering information and disregarded it.
4. The Club did extensive due diligence and weighed all the information up before deciding to appoint him
5. The people in positions of power at the Club have no control over who is being appointed to jobs.

Personally I'd like to think that it was option 4 that took place.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: S let's hypothesize, as nobody here would actually know the real truth on this.

What are the options?
1. The Club did no due diligence and appointed him.
2. The Club did some due diligence and found nothing untoward about him.
3. The Club did some due diligence, fund some unflattering information and disregarded it.
4. The Club did extensive due diligence and weighed all the information up before deciding to appoint him
5. The people in positions of power at the Club have no control over who is being appointed to jobs.

Personally I'd like to think that it was option 4 that took place.
Fail MM.

Your choice of option 4 conveniently ignores the irrefutable fact that we on this football forum have far more football knowledge than those employed by the football club :roll:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Given the appointment was made so late that all of the good people already had jobs, I'd say Option 3 is likely. They needed someone in that role and he was the best of a bad bunch. The key skill in this role is knowing all the player managers, and I'd say he has that covered. Not to much judgement required because there's only one or two real targets each year, and the senior coach and other staff have most of the input into who they are.

Legendary
Club Player

bergholt wrote:Given the appointment was made so late that all of the good people already had jobs, I'd say Option 3 is likely. They needed someone in that role and he was the best of a bad bunch. The key skill in this role is knowing all the player managers, and I'd say he has that covered. Not to much judgement required because there's only one or two real targets each year, and the senior coach and other staff have most of the input into who they are.
Hopefully this is closest to reality.

I don't imagine Hughes will be getting paid a lot, but it gives Elshaug and Liberatore the luxury of focusing on the kids exclusively.

At the end of the day, Elshaug could probably verify Hughes' recommendations by reading the Sun for 10 minutes.

I think the key skill for Hughes will be dealing with the player managers - checking the status of contract negotiations, what sorts of offers might be entertained and sounding out free agency targets. Whatever Hughes' ability, you can at least say that everyone in the industry knows him well...

As long as he stays away from recruiting the kids, he shouldn't be able to cause too much damage

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Option three is the most likely, according to my source. We seem to have been left behind with our appointments over the last couple of years. We've really been resigned to pick up the leftovers.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think this role will become one of the most important in footy as the landscape changes. Players will seek trade outs before the FA period comes into play and others will lock away early for security. We should have an eye on a heap of disgruntled players in the expansion teams and even on guys we missed out on in the draft that have gone to the better teams. For example a guy like Billy Hurting might be easy pickings as he sees players come straight in from other teams like Frawley. If he's killing time at Box hill he might want opportunity.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

White Winmar said :
Option three is the most likely, according to my source. We seem to have been left behind with our appointments over the last couple of years. We've really been resigned to pick up the leftovers.
Management "churn" does that. Everyone is off-balance. It's time that the Club settled and from a management perspective, gets itself focused on what needs to be done, rather than acting "re-actively."

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think this role will become one of the most important in footy as the landscape changes. Players will seek trade outs before the FA period comes into play and others will lock away early for security. We should have an eye on a heap of disgruntled players in the expansion teams and even on guys we missed out on in the draft that have gone to the better teams. For example a guy like Billy Hurting might be easy pickings as he sees players come straight in from other teams like Frawley. If he's killing time at Box hill he might want opportunity.

Sounds like what has happened for the last 20 years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I think this role will become one of the most important in footy as the landscape changes. Players will seek trade outs before the FA period comes into play and others will lock away early for security. We should have an eye on a heap of disgruntled players in the expansion teams and even on guys we missed out on in the draft that have gone to the better teams. For example a guy like Billy Hurting might be easy pickings as he sees players come straight in from other teams like Frawley. If he's killing time at Box hill he might want opportunity.

Sounds like what has happened for the last 20 years.

spot on
Club Player

I'm not to trilled by the appointment either but he has been in the game a long time and must have some idea. All recruits and list managements have to go through tony anyways. It's possitive that we are looking to be active in the market for the next few years too

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Worst appointment since Watters - Hughes is a muppet!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 17 Jan 2015 11:49am, edited 3 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!