The wooing of the St Kilda faithful

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: The wooing of the St Kilda faithful

From the pics I have seen and the reports I have read the Intra-Club game exceeded all expectations. The club has gathered quite a bit of momentum over the past few weeks, and we all know that momentum is a very powerful tool. The challenge now is to keep that momentum going !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SuperSaint66
Club Player

[quote=" Lets see how we are going if we are 1 and 9. Hope we can all be strong enough to see out the journey, because we still may be severely tested for a few more years yet. I'm ready and excited.[/quote]

Even if we are 1 and 9, so long as we are playing an exciting brand of footy, with every player giving 100% every game, and displaying improvement in skills throughout the season, I'll be satisfied.

supersaints
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Finnis is just another corporate bullshiitter trying to con the fans into pouring in their hard earned so he can tick off his KPIs.

I nearly spewed when he said 'give the fans the best Saints experience possible' on the radio the other day.

What a load of s***.
If you know so much about corporate bulls*** and KPI's then you would know that they have to be realistic and more importantly, measurable.

I'd dare to suggest that his KPI's would be much more complex that "throw the members some bulls***" His membership figures would be what he ( and the board members) consider realistic (and posssible) achievable GOALS

I reseve my judgment on Matt Finnis , but at this stage , I am impressed I would go as far to say that he is the most proffesional person we have EVER had at our club in all of my 40 years, that I've been fortunate enough to be a Saints supporter and member

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:May I ask, what exactly are we being told is our 'Saints experience' by these guys?
No idea. But if they keep doing what the club has always done, they'll get the same results. Worth trying something a little different.

noddy04
Club Player

While i am really happy that the club is trying (and succeeding by the sounds of it) to keep the members and supporters of our club in the "loop" I really hope it doesnt drop off when they play interstate. As a long time social club member living interstate we seem to be "left out of the loop" when our club plays here. We pay the same memberships as all social club members but cant get to any functions in Melbourne unless they coincide with the few times some of us can get to games over there. Just saying

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Finnis is just another corporate bullshiitter trying to con the fans into pouring in their hard earned so he can tick off his KPIs.

I nearly spewed when he said 'give the fans the best Saints experience possible' on the radio the other day.

What a load of s***.

RF why do even bother with footy. Your attitude is disgusting.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:We all laughed when Watters referred to the Saints juggernaut!

Maybe we all just laughed at Watters Image
Ah well, at least he was trying to be positive in a largely negative wet-blanket environment he was working in at the time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:We all laughed when Watters referred to the Saints juggernaut!

Ah well, at least he was trying to be positive in a largely negative wet-blanket environment he was working in at the time.

Agreed but if you cause the wet blanket environment its a bit hypocritical to then be positive in public.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:

Agreed but if you cause the wet blanket environment its a bit hypocritical to then be positive in public.
I was thinking a bit broader than just one person...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:

I was thinking a bit broader than just one person...

Yes but he caused all the issues back then.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:

When you think about it, the words coming out of the club at the moment are very much like those spoken by Watters, except the dreaded "J" word won't be used. All the talk is of sleeping giants, untapped potential and markets, massive latent supporter base, etc. Maybe the wee man was on to something, but there'll be no statues of him adorning the LHC. If it all goes to plan, perhaps we can place a garden gnome in saints colours in his honour.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: If it all goes to plan, perhaps we can place a garden gnome in saints colours in his honour.
And light it during the celebrations after we win our 2nd Flag :D

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I agree with the OP.

Lets face it, the supporter base was shattered after the long sought 2nd premiership slipped through the clubs fingers not once but twice.

It was our time, we had waited nearly 50 years for a second flag and we were all crushed.

Now bigger clubs get their membership through success. if we had of won one flag in that time, our membership would have gone up significantly even with us slipping down the ladder.

As it turned out we were left with a shattered on field list, a poorly performing admin, and a demoralised long suffering fan base.

We were a genuine wooden spooner last year. Really we were not even in the contest in most matches after the first 6 weeks.

So we have a new admin with a rebuilding list a significant financial problem and a dwindling membership base.

From that basis, I believe the Saints have done everything possible to engage their supporters and get the club back on track.

it was reported Finnis was reluctant to take the job as the club was pretty much a financial basket case. Gillon McLachlan encouraged him to take it and the AFl would support him and the club.

So No.1 - we have the powers at the AFL on side. Makes for a very nice change from the Demitreou years.

No.2 Trading and drafting - After all the tooing anf froing wqe keep the No.1 DP, get Membrey for nothing and get 21 for Stanley. As it turns our we get McCartin and Goddard with those two picks. Everyone pretty happy with the outcome.

No.3 19 signings in 19 days. Keeping the fans engaged and excited about having the young group "buy in" and keeping the good news coming day after day.

This was coupled with a significant media campaign. Really I know I am biased but I cant remember more media for a wooden spoon team than I saw for the Saints over the Summer period. Pretty impressive effort.

No.4 the positive redrafting of Saad. Another positive good news story after his issues with a banned substance.

No.5 25k members before the 25th of December. A good initiative which has the club 4000 members up on this time last season. This from a team that won the wooden spoon last season and will contest again for it this season. Another positive from the club.

No.6 The appointment of first Peta Serle during the year and also two other women in prominent positions at the club. This in itself doesn't stop the perceptions of the Saints and women but shows the club is determined to change those perceptions - another good positive step.

A football can only sell hope when it is in the position our club finds itself in. They are selling this hope, and putting in place the foundations for the club to be successful both on and off the field.

We all have no illusions that the season ahead will be difficult and disappointing. But to have instilled that hope into a demoralised and long suffering fan base has been a very very positive and impressive achievement.

Yeah, I know, I am optimistic, but I am buying in to the hope and the direction of the club.

They, in my opinion, are making all the right moves.

You are garbage - Enough said
fingers
Saintsational Legend

What a load of s***.

And this is based on all the time you have spent with him is it?

Ignorant post.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

As I stated in a thread I made about a month ago, my enthusiasm and pride as a St.Kilda supporter is at it's highest since 2010. It gets better from this year on.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:As I stated in a thread I made about a month ago, my enthusiasm and pride as a St.Kilda supporter is at it's highest since 2010. It gets better from this year on.
+1

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saint6709
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:I agree with the OP.

Lets face it, the supporter base was shattered after the long sought 2nd premiership slipped through the clubs fingers not once but twice.

It was our time, we had waited nearly 50 years for a second flag and we were all crushed.

Now bigger clubs get their membership through success. if we had of won one flag in that time, our membership would have gone up significantly even with us slipping down the ladder.

As it turned out we were left with a shattered on field list, a poorly performing admin, and a demoralised long suffering fan base.

We were a genuine wooden spooner last year. Really we were not even in the contest in most matches after the first 6 weeks.

So we have a new admin with a rebuilding list a significant financial problem and a dwindling membership base.

From that basis, I believe the Saints have done everything possible to engage their supporters and get the club back on track.

it was reported Finnis was reluctant to take the job as the club was pretty much a financial basket case. Gillon McLachlan encouraged him to take it and the AFl would support him and the club.

So No.1 - we have the powers at the AFL on side. Makes for a very nice change from the Demitreou years.

No.2 Trading and drafting - After all the tooing anf froing wqe keep the No.1 DP, get Membrey for nothing and get 21 for Stanley. As it turns our we get McCartin and Goddard with those two picks. Everyone pretty happy with the outcome.

No.3 19 signings in 19 days. Keeping the fans engaged and excited about having the young group "buy in" and keeping the good news coming day after day.

This was coupled with a significant media campaign. Really I know I am biased but I cant remember more media for a wooden spoon team than I saw for the Saints over the Summer period. Pretty impressive effort.

No.4 the positive redrafting of Saad. Another positive good news story after his issues with a banned substance.

No.5 25k members before the 25th of December. A good initiative which has the club 4000 members up on this time last season. This from a team that won the wooden spoon last season and will contest again for it this season. Another positive from the club.

No.6 The appointment of first Peta Serle during the year and also two other women in prominent positions at the club. This in itself doesn't stop the perceptions of the Saints and women but shows the club is determined to change those perceptions - another good positive step.

A football can only sell hope when it is in the position our club finds itself in. They are selling this hope, and putting in place the foundations for the club to be successful both on and off the field.

We all have no illusions that the season ahead will be difficult and disappointing. But to have instilled that hope into a demoralised and long suffering fan base has been a very very positive and impressive achievement.

Yeah, I know, I am optimistic, but I am buying in to the hope and the direction of the club.

They, in my opinion, are making all the right moves.
Perhaps most significant for me would be a No.7 - the marketing push to align St Kilda the football club to St kilda the suburb. So the club can leverage exposure through its association with arguably melbournes most iconic suburb/location ..... I feel like the club is well on its way to a rebranding of itself which I think is already proving to be successful

saintly
Saintsational Legend

To reiterate the above. I have never seen so much positive media about a club that were wooden spooners. In fact I think the saints had double then Collingwood.

Thats what I'm enjoying.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Tis all good and well.

But this is St.Kilda. We will stuff it up somehow.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why would the club suggest a completely impossible number of members. Its just plain silly. We are likely to still be in the bottom 4 by then so it isnt going to happen. I think being realistic should be the aim for everyone. If we got near 40k in 3 years time that would be fantastic. Say we get 33k this year 35k next year and then 37k then we may have 40k by the start of 2018. That seems about the target we should be aiming for.
Why is it impossible?
Richmond made a similar announcement at the end of the 2010 season after they had finished 2nd last for the second successive season.
They had a 2010 membership of 35,690...Incoming CEO Brendon Gale made some bold announcements. One of which would be a membership of 60,000 (or it might have been 70,000) in three years time.
Their 2013 membership figure was 60,321...and they still hadn't finished above 12th prior to that.
After making the finals in 2013 their membership hit 66,122 last season and currently sits at nearly 55,000.

In 2010, they were a young team with a promising key forward and some high draft midfield talent...sound familiar?

We clearly have the supporter base so why not try and turn them into members?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why would the club suggest a completely impossible number of members. Its just plain silly. We are likely to still be in the bottom 4 by then so it isnt going to happen. I think being realistic should be the aim for everyone. If we got near 40k in 3 years time that would be fantastic. Say we get 33k this year 35k next year and then 37k then we may have 40k by the start of 2018. That seems about the target we should be aiming for.
Why is it impossible?
Richmond made a similar announcement at the end of the 2010 season after they had finished 2nd last for the second successive season.
They had a 2010 membership of 35,690...Incoming CEO Brendon Gale made some bold announcements. One of which would be a membership of 60,000 (or it might have been 70,000) in three years time.
Their 2013 membership figure was 60,321...and they still hadn't finished above 12th prior to that.
After making the finals in 2013 their membership hit 66,122 last season and currently sits at nearly 55,000.

In 2010, they were a young team with a promising key forward and some high draft midfield talent...sound familiar?

We clearly have the supporter base so why not try and turn them into members?

Why is it impossible. Well we are likely to be last this year and I still think we are a chance to be last next year. That wont help for a start. Also we didn't even get 40K after being in the GF 2 years in a row. I don't care what Richmond did because they clearly are a much bigger club than us. I say its impossible so if you thinks its possible I will give you even money we have got less than 50K members in 3 years unless of course they make it that the dead and unborn can be put on the list. Firstly what is 3 years anyway. Is it now on 3 years time or is it at the end of the 2017 season? Anyway lets have say $500 on it. You are getting 5k for free. IMO we should aim for realistic figures and then build on that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
spert wrote:

When you think about it, the words coming out of the club at the moment are very much like those spoken by Watters, except the dreaded "J" word won't be used. All the talk is of sleeping giants, untapped potential and markets, massive latent supporter base, etc. Maybe the wee man was on to something, but there'll be no statues of him adorning the LHC. If it all goes to plan, perhaps we can place a garden gnome in saints colours in his honour.
or one of snow white's friends.... :evil: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I know the club is discussing with the AFL and Etihad to allow kick to kick on the ground after our home matches. All to do with wooing the faithful. For the first time in a long long time were being pro active. Great stuff.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I know the club is discussing with the AFL and Etihad to allow kick to kick on the ground after our home matches. All to do with wooing the faithful. For the first time in a long long time were being pro active. Great stuff.
Great to here. Kick to Kick is all about the kids, which is our future.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
tony74 wrote:I know the club is discussing with the AFL and Etihad to allow kick to kick on the ground after our home matches. All to do with wooing the faithful. For the first time in a long long time were being pro active. Great stuff.
Great to here. Kick to Kick is all about the kids, which is our future.

here you go

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7238892928