Saints v Brisbane = review thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Brisbane = review thread

pan pipes were good between the quarters.

Billings hammy bad

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Who on earth named our best players?
Joey was very ordinary, bordering on useless. I thought he was playing crap last year because he was going to join BJ. Apparently he's just crap. Sad he was captain today.

Apart from that, I think we put up a creditable performance today. A lot of positives and very few negatives. Looking forward to next week. Might go for a drive to Morwell!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Club Player

Had a look at the replay, agree positives: Bruce, Acres, Ross, McCartin.
disposal still an issue but first game so happy to give a little slack.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Who on earth named our best players?
Joey was very ordinary, bordering on useless. I thought he was playing crap last year because he was going to join BJ. Apparently he's just crap. Sad he was captain today.

Apart from that, I think we put up a creditable performance today. A lot of positives and very few negatives. Looking forward to next week. Might go for a drive to Morwell!
No comment on Joey

You could stop by Moe as well... :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: You could stop by Moe as well... :)
Just make sure you stay in your car and keep the engine running Image

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like it's been summarised fairly well.

Young guys were a positive, I thought Acres reading of the play was really good, Eli & Ahmed were lively enough, Holmes tap work was quite good, Fisher was really good and marshalled the back line very well. In fact back line were pretty good.
Armo was good doing the grunt work, Seb Ross was reasonable, as was Geary down back.

Can't be too negative, especially being February, skills on both sides were comical at times, especially in the last quarter when tiredness kicked in, Tom Lee was disappointing, not sure where he firs in to be honest, certainly not a pack buster or pack mark, and not a lightning lead up type.

Great crowd, supposedly 6000 which is more than I estimated. I would think the AFL would be rapt with the turn out, good atmosphere, and a beautiful looking playing surface, and a nice complex.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

One last thing, I was really surprised by the number of Saints supporters there, possibly a third of the crowd, which was great.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Our future triple Brownlow Medallist performed well. Three kicks. Perhaps he was injured.

<warning for baiting>

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:Our future triple Brownlow Medallist performed well. Three kicks. Perhaps he was injured.
If you talking Billings, you're right, went off with a hammy in first quarter

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Our future triple Brownlow Medallist performed well. Three kicks. Perhaps he was injured.

You are a pathetic supporter. By the way he played a half in a practice game. Why don't you quit like a sook like you did last time. Pathetic loser. You are just that embarrassed how wrong you were when you said he was the worst player to ever play in a Saints jumper and then 2 years later he won the B&F by 40 votes. Hilarious and sums up your lack of footy knowledge. may even get that thread out to show how much of a sook a guy over 60 years of age can be.

<warning for abuse calling a poster a pathetic loser>

stevie
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
PJ wrote:Did anyone see him actually play or are we just guessing?
theres a rumor he played
got on the park
ran around came but off as he was busting for a poo because of an icky belly, pushed a bit too hard and when he went back out he got hamstring tightness from said pushing

we are awaiting an update 8-)
Wouldn't that be an out date? :roll:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
No, not Jack Billings. I'm talking the Dud.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Ok, going by P.66 comments, you're talking about Steven.

Piss poor comment.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

i thought the positives outweighed the negatives today. First year players all looked good. When Holmes was rucking late in the game we seemed to fire up.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:i thought the positives outweighed the negatives today. First year players all looked good. When Holmes was rucking late in the game we seemed to fire up.
Agreed. Don't know how far Hickey is away, but I'd have Holmes ahead of Longer.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:

Piss poor comment.
3 kicks.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A bit early to see any real trends, but I would say the midfield will be our big weakness this season. Some good signs generally otherwise.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:

Piss poor comment.
3 kicks.
Practice match in February

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Similar themes to most reports for me.

Ill start with fwds and head back

McCartin- Clearly he is a footy player's footy player. Nothing 'project' about him at all. Already knows where to run. Times his leads. Hits packs. Is going to be genuine. Makes it look easy.
Lee - Does some nice things in close where he read it off packs and ran around a lot. But id like to see him get the occasional easy mark on the lead which almost never happens for him. Just not sure how he fits in at AFL level. Makes it look hard.
Bruce - Gets an A for athleticism and effort. Doesnt have the footy nous of a McCartin. Will be handy though and its hard to put a knock on a bloke who clearly tries hard.
Saad - Good to see him out there.
Lonie - I like this fella. Looks to be a player. Small fwd is a hard position but he seems clever and skilful enough to create chances and get in dangerous positions.
Insane in the Membrane Definitely AFL standard. Will play plenty of games I think.

Newnes,Armo, Ross No surprises here. All are going to be good for us. Seb kicking can be off.
Mav A little disappointing but im not sure what his role was. Seemed a bit out of position
Savage - started off as our best player. Not sure if he got tired but made some howlers late in the game.
Joey He got named in the best and got plenty of it. But does lack penetration. I think a lot of kicks are because of his seniority. Sometimes young players handball to Joey even when he is in a worse position.. I dont see him as going to help our cause all that much from now on.
Acres - Mixed feelings. Doesnt get involved enough. Did do some good things and showed some signs where he read the play very well off a pack a few times. Also seems to get in the right positions when he sneaks down fwd. He 'almost' took about 5 marks jumping in front of packs Fyfe style. Needs to do more but I see some ok signs. Whether he can transpose signs to actuality is still an unknown.
Curren I cant see him survive in the side when Dunstan comes back.
Templeton - Maybe doesnt get it enough but one of the few blokes in our side that when he gets it you feel the ball is safe in his hands. Very clean user. Very good signs for a still young kid.

Geary What can you say about this bloke. Sometimes his kicking is off but hes a genuine warrior. Puts his body on the line time and time again.
Fisher - Probably our best player
Delaney - Solid as ever but occasionally makes a howler of a kick.
Roberton - Looked pretty good to me. Some good signs.

What we need
Skill and spread.
We look lacking in this area again. We need Billings, Webster and Steven desperately. We need all three in the side every week if we want to be competitive, win games and make the opposition worry. At the moment oppositions wont see us as damaging as our ball movement is generally fairly slow. Dare I say crab like.We dont look like we can break a game open and score 5 goals in a row. But with these three in the side - we will look much more dangerous on the attack.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 28 Feb 2015 10:58pm, edited 9 times in total.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:A bit early to see any real trends, but I would say the midfield will be our big weakness this season. Some good signs generally otherwise.
I reckon our main midfield problem is lack of outside speed, which is no great secret. Armo was really good with the in and under stuff today, and hopefully Dunstan rejoins him soon. Problem us, once it's dished out there's no one with any real speed that can carry it forward, break lines,etc.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
spert wrote:A bit early to see any real trends, but I would say the midfield will be our big weakness this season. Some good signs generally otherwise.
I reckon our main midfield problem is lack of outside speed, which is no great secret. Armo was really good with the in and under stuff today, and hopefully Dunstan rejoins him soon. Problem us, once it's dished out there's no one with any real speed that can carry it forward, break lines,etc.
This is why I'd be very keen to see Wright move up the ground. I'm quite content for Geary to stay back as a negating defender and have Newnes behind the ball as an outside option but Wright has genuine line-breaking speed and manic attack on the footy. Of all the small defenders touted to move to the midfield, Wright is my pick.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

You are an absolute f***wit. Just go away

<warning for abuse>

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

In between the game freezing on me a few times, the outside run and overlap was missing. A few posters mentioned it, but as you wanted someone else looming up in support, there was no one. They will have to play together a bit, because last season they seemed strangers every game.

I saw Lee do a few ok things. His bad stuff must have happened when I was frozen out. Not sure why people bag Farren. Seemed to be always there, and apparently went at 92% efficiency. Lonie looks pretty sharp. Ross did good stuff, and then a clanger would appear. Just got to play more I reckon. Paddy promising. Gets around the park.

Enough encouragement. Just got to get more combinations going, and get some outside speed. mcKenzie?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:

Piss poor comment.
3 kicks.

I tell you one thing perfectionist. It was worth a warning to tell you what you are. I know you hide when asked any sort of hard question but how does the worst player ever to put on a saints jumper beat Rooy, one of the best to ever put on a saints jumper, by about 40 votes in the B&F. Admit you were wrong or admit you know nothing about the game. It has to be one or the other.

One other thing though. Interesting warning system here. if you call someone a loser, big deal happens probably 10 times a day, when sticking up for our player you get a warning. Yep. And even worse is why would perfectionist get a warning? Explain that especially when a certain poster starts threads saying a player will be back in the WAFL and we should trade Armo and Steven. I would love to know the difference. Perfectionists warning must be rescinded or we are going to give out 50 warnings a day on game day if the mods or one certain mod is going to try and be consistent.