Seb Ross 10-12 weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Rotten Set-back for Seb

Very Disappointed for Seb - frustrating that he has to walk away from his good period of improvement. I thought 'with a bit of luck' he would be on his way at least for the early part of the season. Sounds like Seb has really been putting himself in and then to get an extremely frustrating blow like this.
Looking forward to June or May if we're lucky to see him get another chance.

GOOD LUCK SEB !!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross 10-12 weeks

WinnersOnly wrote:The 'bad luck' cover story the club via Jamie Cox are offering after the spate of hamstring injuries is just rubbish! Once again they make blatantly fabricate statements and expect the supporters and general AFL population to swallow it. I thought the club had moved on from the Ross Lyon approach to the media.

Here is novel suggestion - 'tell the truth'!

It goes something like this 'the players have been put through a huge amount of running over the off season and that on top of a new weights program at some stage over that period the load has been such that the players have lost flexibility in their hamstrings attributing to their injuries'.

Very poor form Saints....

With your obvious inside knowledge can you tell us why it isn't just bad luck. They would have all the data and maybe it shows nothing has changed from last year except more strings. Or maybe it shows that what they are doing shouldn't produce these hamstring injuries so it is just bad luck. My experience is the tendon hamstring injuries are just bad luck and we have had 2 of them.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Why do you have to have inside knowledge to understand 5 hamstrings strains in 2 weeks is not bad luck. How many hamstring injuries have other clubs had? ACL are bad luck, hamstrings are bad management IMO!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Why do you have to have inside knowledge to understand 5 hamstrings strains in 2 weeks is not bad luck. How many hamstring injuries have other clubs had? ACL are bad luck, hamstrings are bad management IMO!

You called the clubs liars without proof. That is why you need some inside knowledge.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

RW&B
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:The 'bad luck' cover story the club via Jamie Cox are offering after the spate of hamstring injuries is just rubbish! Once again they make blatantly fabricate statements and expect the supporters and general AFL population to swallow it. I thought the club had moved on from the Ross Lyon approach to the media.

It goes something like this 'the players have been put through a huge amount of running over the off season and that on top of a new weights program at some stage over that period the load has been such that the players have lost flexibility in their hamstrings attributing to their injuries'.

I am a physiotherapist without intimate knowledge of the Saints program or each of the injuries but I'd just like to add my thoughts.

Jack Billings - The strongest risk factor for a hamstring injury is previous hamstring injury. Jack damaged his hamstring late last year and I read somewhere that this new injury is in the same spot. Andrew Wallis has a very strong reputation. For me this one is bad luck.
Dylan Roberton - His scan came back negative. Apparently just DOMS. He has rightfully missed a week as precaution.
Farren Ray - Nil history of hamstring injuries. Not many injuries at all actually in a decade long career. A hard seasoned body. Was pushed/tackled as he kicked creating a pretty unique situation for his hamstring tendon. Impossible to predict this happening.
Seb Ross - From all reports had a "massive" preseason with a large focus on his fitness. Is a big boy and has apparently done a lot of running. Bent down to pick up with ball at speed - a classic mechanism for hamstring injury. There may have been some element of training error here but hamstring are the most common injury in AFL. They do happen. I don't think we should be jumping up and down and asking for heads to roll because of Seb's injury as disappointing as it is for use fans and for the club.
Shane Savage - Haven't been able to find much about Shane's preseason or his injury and don't know much about his injury history. Can't really comment.

Overall the has certainly been some bad luck. There may also have been a training error element but hamstring injuries are a part of high level sport as teams push the boundaries of fitness to compete. The Saints have reviewed their methods and have said they will change a few things in terms of their recovery. I'm not too stressed about the whole situation. Anyway, that's my two cents.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
saynta
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:

I am a physiotherapist without intimate knowledge of the Saints program or each of the injuries but I'd just like to add my thoughts.

Jack Billings - The strongest risk factor for a hamstring injury is previous hamstring injury. Jack damaged his hamstring late last year and I read somewhere that this new injury is in the same spot. Andrew Wallis has a very strong reputation. For me this one is bad luck.
Dylan Roberton - His scan came back negative. Apparently just DOMS. He has rightfully missed a week as precaution.
Farren Ray - Nil history of hamstring injuries. Not many injuries at all actually in a decade long career. A hard seasoned body. Was pushed/tackled as he kicked creating a pretty unique situation for his hamstring tendon. Impossible to predict this happening.
Seb Ross - From all reports had a "massive" preseason with a large focus on his fitness. Is a big boy and has apparently done a lot of running. Bent down to pick up with ball at speed - a classic mechanism for hamstring injury. There may have been some element of training error here but hamstring are the most common injury in AFL. They do happen. I don't think we should be jumping up and down and asking for heads to roll because of Seb's injury as disappointing as it is for use fans and for the club.
Shane Savage - Haven't been able to find much about Shane's preseason or his injury and don't know much about his injury history. Can't really comment.

Overall the has certainly been some bad luck. There may also have been a training error element but hamstring injuries are a part of high level sport as teams push the boundaries of fitness to compete. The Saints have reviewed their methods and have said they will change a few things in terms of their recovery. I'm not too stressed about the whole situation. Anyway, that's my two cents.

The coach has confirmed that the circunstances surrounding Seb's injury were similar to Farren's. Both pushed in the back in the act of kicking the football. Just bad luck it would seem.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 11 Mar 2015 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Just heard Adam Kingsley's interview where he articulated the injuries, reviews and alterations to load & recovery going forward exceptionally well! It ws a lot more believable when he qualified his statements with some facts, rather than just saying 'it was bad luck'!

I apologise for my previous suggestions regarding the clubs handling of it....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

For a bloke who didn't require surgery it's interesting that he's just had surgery. :shock:

matrix wrote::roll:

Good to see you cant ignore me. Again have you got an opinion? Did you notice WO said sorry to the club? I would claim stalker but I don't you have the capability to do that.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Just heard Adam Kingsley's interview where he articulated the injuries, reviews and alterations to load & recovery going forward exceptionally well! It ws a lot more believable when he qualified his statements with some facts, rather than just saying 'it was bad luck'!

I apologise for my previous suggestions regarding the clubs handling of it....
where was that interview?