Spencer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer

It's called laziness! If the ball doesn't come to him he's not interested in looking for it!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spot on
Club Player

I was so disappointed not to see white or lee play against the Hawks. I thought such a waste of players. We are desperate for one of theses guys to show something but never got the opportunity. I understand that they must have their issues but gezz they need to get that chance. I can't see how leaving mcCartin one out against awesome opposition is gonna help anyone. Surely there's so much more to gain then seeing the likes of roberton , shenton amongst others continuity turning the ball over. I hope lee n
Spence can have a good game at vfl this weekend.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:It's called laziness! If the ball doesn't come to him he's not interested in looking for it!
Not any more BS. These days it's called lack of second efforts, or aerobic capacity, or forward pressure. Much more polite. We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings after all.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Interesting article. Ask any Tiges fan and they will tell you Jay Schulz was the laziest bloke in the world.
He managed only 58 goals in his first 71 matches. That is fairly horrendous for a key fwd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/p ... 6968023658

I dont believe our coach has given up on Spencer - I think he is just trying to get him up to AFL standard and is prepared to do it the long way. Might take a few years. If it has to then it has to. It took JS about 7 years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Watching Tom Lynch on the TV now. He's a pretty handy forward for Adelaide now and we seemed to give up on him before he matured. I hope we're not making the same mistake with Buddy.
Ross Lyon. King of the kids.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:Richo said when quizzed about Spencer White's non-selection for the NAB 1 game against Brisbane that he’s still got some work to do in his game, but he’s heading in the right direction. Take that comment any way you want, but it sounds to me like he's not pulling his weight or lagging behind in his preparation, that's probably why we haven't seen him.

Having said that, he is in the squad to play against the Northern Blues on Sunday at Visy Park.

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=338
reminder - there is a chance to see him tomorrow

and the way we are going he may well find himself playing round 1 :) as with the young guys of 2002/3 - necessity bought about game time and experience.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:It's called laziness! If the ball doesn't come to him he's not interested in looking for it!
No chance of that happening at the moment the way the old skills are going kicking it to any of our players is difficult.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
A lot of good forwards rely on delivery

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Lockett would have done more than him. It is a shame he is 20 years later starting his career.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't think Lockett would have done more than him. It is a shame he is 20 years later starting his career.

I think your opinion here is 100% wrong. He played under 18's in this day and age. he should know what to expect. I don't think he hasn't watched an AFL game in last few years. And even if he didn't know what to expect then how the hell did we recruit a guy who wants to play like footy was played 20 years ago.

FQF
SS Life Member

Bottom line - he needs to get AFL games in a hurry. I think his development will stall in the VFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Bottom line - he needs to get AFL games in a hurry. I think his development will stall in the VFL.

But only 22 can play and if he does another young kid doesn't so im unsure he plays for that reason alone.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:Bottom line - he needs to get AFL games in a hurry. I think his development will stall in the VFL.

But only 22 can play and if he does another young kid doesn't so im unsure he plays for that reason alone.
I think that once in the team he will warrant selection. He got games at the end of last season despite not being in outstanding form and played well.

Not saying he should be gifted 23 games, but if we are not selecting him until he rips it up on the track then I think we might be waiting until he's delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think that once in the team he will warrant selection. He got games at the end of last season despite not being in outstanding form and played well.

Not saying he should be gifted 23 games, but if we are not selecting him until he rips it up on the track then I think we might be waiting until he's delisted.

But he still has to replace a young kid so who would that be?

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Unless Membrey improves on his form, he could take his spot at some point. McCartin will not be able to play every game yet, so could be him too.

If for some reason they backflip and put Bruce back in defence, then that spot might also be available.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Unless Membrey improves on his form, he could take his spot at some point. McCartin will not be able to play every game yet, so could be him too.

If for some reason they backflip and put Bruce back in defence, then that spot might also be available.

I totally agree on all that but it seems you are suggesting he wont play yet and that is what im suggesting as well. Membury is very lucky to play but he has to be ahead on White at the moment. McCartin is in the same boat.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I totally agree on all that but it seems you are suggesting he wont play yet and that is what im suggesting as well. Membury is very lucky to play but he has to be ahead on White at the moment. McCartin is in the same boat.
I'm not demanding he play round 1, but I think it is pretty important for his development that he not be left in the wilderness until round 20. I think he needs a run of games in the first 10 rounds. Obviously if Membrey and McCartin are in good form week after week then I don't think they should be dropped — but that won't happen.

We have plenty of forward options, sadly no one but Roo actually deserves their spot at the moment.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Spencer looked pretty good kicking three goals against Richmond last season for a player who is inexperienced and doesn't work hard enough- looked better than quite a few of our players. I hope Richo isn't one these micro-managing coaches who wants everything perfect before playing some young guys- sport is littered with coaches who put preparation and system over talent and end up with well-prepared losing team. Just get White out there playing his natural game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Spencer looked pretty good kicking three goals against Richmond last season for a player who is inexperienced and doesn't work hard enough- looked better than quite a few of our players. I hope Richo isn't one these micro-managing coaches who wants everything perfect before playing some young guys- sport is littered with coaches who put preparation and system over talent and end up with well-prepared losing team. Just get White out there playing his natural game.

He played so I suggest that question is just another question to suggest you don't rate AR as a coach. And who should he play instead of Spert?

spert
Saintsational Legend

My playing days are long gone, so Richo can play someone else. If White is at all fit, he should be straight into the seniors, and as a coach Richo can work on whatever problems players have. From what I have seen of Richo's coaching style up to now, he doesn't seem to have any concept of a defensive game, seems to be all attack and no accountability for your opponent, but I'm sure by Round 1 he will have sorted that out and we'll go on our winning way.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:My playing days are long gone, so Richo can play someone else. If White is at all fit, he should be straight into the seniors, and as a coach Richo can work on whatever problems players have. From what I have seen of Richo's coaching style up to now, he doesn't seem to have any concept of a defensive game, seems to be all attack and no accountability for your opponent, but I'm sure by Round 1 he will have sorted that out and we'll go on our winning way.

You do realise this side on paper would be about 20% worse than the final year under that despised coach SW. I don't think I suggested you play but I want to know who White should play instead of because who ever is dropped you will say its poor coaching.

FQF
SS Life Member

Seems to be playing a good match for Sandy today.

Razor
Club Player

People over-rate spencer white so much its ridiculous. He is nothing special at all and is a very poor set shot for goal. He started preseason a month early and still can get himself fit enough. I don't see him on the list next year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:People over-rate spencer white so much its ridiculous. He is nothing special at all and is a very poor set shot for goal. He started preseason a month early and still can get himself fit enough. I don't see him on the list next year.
I don't know if Dermot knows young footballers or not, but I'm prepared to wager that he knows more than you and me.

Last year he is on record as saying that we only have two up and coming young footballers who have the potential to be A grade players. Steven and White.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Seems to be playing a good match for Sandy today.
More details anyone?