Screwed over by Etihad - thanks Jimmy!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Screwed over by Etihad - thanks Jimmy!

We keep getting shafted because as a club, we are, and always have been an administrative rabble. Let's face it, we are f@$&ing hopeless!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Austinnn wrote:I seem to remember at the time a huge AFL drive to shut down all suburban grounds - around this time Carlton were basically gang pressed to give up Princes Park - and it seemed like if we agreed to move to Docklands, the place would be more set up as our home than the G was.

We know now that it was a terrible deal: maybe Plympton was offered an up front incentive that would help the Saints short term. We should ask him, when he takes a break from crowing about how great and totally professional his administration was.
The AFL wanted cluns at either Docklands or the G as they could monitor the gate.

At Princes park and other suburban grounds, the gate couldn't be controlled by HQ.

Bring back suburban grounds, at least one or two.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I seem to remember at the time a huge AFL drive to shut down all suburban grounds - around this time Carlton were basically gang pressed to give up Princes Park - and it seemed like if we agreed to move to Docklands, the place would be more set up as our home than the G was.

We know now that it was a terrible deal: maybe Plympton was offered an up front incentive that would help the Saints short term. We should ask him, when he takes a break from crowing about how great and totally professional his administration was.

I spoke to Plympton's mum and she said the AFL blackmailed us to keep VFL park which we preferred we would have to do a multi million dollar upgrade and maintain all facilities and maintenance. While we negotiated with the Hawks to go in together they got the G offer and jumped at it we lost the "anchor tenant club" offer the AFL were offering us when Essendon went there. We were forced to take anything anyone was offering.

I spoke to Plymptons sister and she said to say Hi. And I think Plymptons mum was on drugs if she really said that.

Well you obviously know more than she did. She was under the impression he was despised by some members of the public for the move. What do you know Plugger were you at the club when it happened?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I spoke to Plympton's mum and she said the AFL blackmailed us to keep VFL park which we preferred we would have to do a multi million dollar upgrade and maintain all facilities and maintenance. While we negotiated with the Hawks to go in together they got the G offer and jumped at it we lost the "anchor tenant club" offer the AFL were offering us when Essendon went there. We were forced to take anything anyone was offering.

I spoke to Plymptons sister and she said to say Hi. And I think Plymptons mum was on drugs if she really said that.

Well you obviously know more than she did. She was under the impression he was despised by some members of the public for the move. What do you know Plugger were you at the club when it happened?

No I wasn't. Were you? I don't even understand what she said to you. VFL park was being sold years before we left. Etihad wasn't built over the summer break. There was never going to be 3 grounds because of contracts. Rushies comment on the previous post is hilarious. They got rid of suburban grounds because they couldn't have an accurate gate. Very funny. But another good conspiracy.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nor ... m2urf.html

Brayshaw has paid out nicely on the idiotic deal North (and also us of course) get at Etihad.

Good to see the current Etihad chief buries his sand in the pit just like Collo did.

Love to hear how the negotiations re buying out Etihad are going. Just need some journos to do some work and put some pressure on to get some answers from either the AFL or Etihad owners.
Interesting to note that Etihad forgave a million dollar loan re. Norf.

Brayshaw is just attempting to become a big man ala Edward. Plus making his crappy club relevant.

They finished 4th and was flogged by a team by 10 goals that switched off mid-way through the 3rd quarter of the Prelim. Sure, let's go out and get Higgins and Waite because they have proven to be consistent, quality players for a prolonged period of time, said nobody.

spert
Saintsational Legend

While Plympton was busy telling Saints that Waverly park was the future..not long before we moved out- and the south east corridor growth area of Melbourne was where the club will get increased support, the AFL was busy putting plans in place to decommission the facility. I would be highly surprised if an AFL President of the club who is based at that facility wasn't fully aware of this well before. Westaway was a wet blanket as president and I'm beginning to think Summers is not far behind, so it seems we are going to get sand kicked in our face in these stadium deals.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Do people seriously think we should have moved to Princes Park? And given $$$ to Carlton who would have been our landlord?

Just a few points to consider re: Waverley, Colonial, Etihad... Plympton & the board had little choice but to take up the Colonial Stadium option as the MCG was full (Hawthorn beat us to the punch for the last available spot- keep in mind that they didn't have the membership & attendance numbers that they have today so the G was happy to have us). The AFL (& specifically Wayne Jackson) concocted a set of rubbery figures, that they presented to clubs like us & the Dogs, that promised riches beyond our wildest dreams... all based on reserved seating premiums but not taking into consideration the exorbitant costs of hosting a game at Docklands (the cost figures were based on what it cost to host a game at Waverley).

What made matters worse was that on field we were a debacle & couldn't get above 25K through the games for the 1st 3 years that the joint was open. The league had underwritten our membership as they knew we would have a massive drop off in members due to those in the South East being disenfranchised. They didn't guarantee revenue from gate receipts though & that's were we've been in the poo ever since.

While they have re-negotiated the terms a few times there's always been a trade off (lower break even figures but less revenue when we get good crowds, higher BEP but more $$ for a sell out, etc). The fact that the consortium that owns the stadium includes superannuation groups means that they're always going to try to maximise profits & care very little for whoever hires the joint.

The quicker the AFL buys the stadium the better for all concerned...unfortunately there's a little money pit in Western Sydney that is draining the finances a bit at present so nothing will be done until after the next broadcast rights at the earliest.

bigballs
Club Player

No team in the competition should be losing money when playing at home.

To not get some sort of profit from our home games, even a small profit when there are low crowds, is criminal to say the least and someone should be made accountable.

Hopefully Gil is making some headway in rectifying this. It's time to stop fu****g around and do something!! :evil:

Megamaguire
Club Player

SCREWED OVER BY THE AFL

DAVE for Geelong to average only 26,000 but almost make $1 million ( ie $850K/ game).

While @ The DOME St Kilda can draw 30,000 but only break-even is deplorable. To put salt in the wound - if it is a 26,000 crowd we pay ~$73K. Isn't that great?
Now what organisation has the means and ability to end this farce?
That's correct the A F L !
This is very destabilising for St.Kilda as it no doubt is for North & the Dogs.
While this continues and the afl decides to throw some money our way to make up for an insane situation that doesn't belong in the same sentence as 'level-playing field' we are under the gun.

The right thing is to recall just how much the financial gap is ever-widening between the giants (Pies & Hawks for instance) and ourselves under this crippling system and for the AFL to do the right thing and...

BUY BACK THE STADIUM ASAP.

The AFL have the funds
It should be done.
There would be plenty of equalisation done simply in this single bold policy.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.