Round one team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round one team

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think it proves how bad we are going when just about everyone has Membury in their team. I to think he will be picked but on form he shouldn't be close to getting a game. Shenton is similar. He is a very ordinary player that I wish I could play like but he isn't really much good. Slow and not a great decision maker but he will also play.
I was thinking last night - we all love Geary and he is an automatic selection and probably in our top 10 players and top 6 highest paid. But if we take off our Saints glasses and we are just neutral footy fans. Would we think of Geary any differently to someone like Greg Broughton? It is no surprise we are bottom.
Foxfooty called him the backline general on their injury list...

FQF
SS Life Member

Geary would not get a game for the top 6 teams.
Membrey has played one career game (I think) so I have no problem letting him work into it. Has good tools.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think it proves how bad we are going when just about everyone has Membury in their team. I to think he will be picked but on form he shouldn't be close to getting a game. Shenton is similar. He is a very ordinary player that I wish I could play like but he isn't really much good. Slow and not a great decision maker but he will also play.
I was thinking last night - we all love Geary and he is an automatic selection and probably in our top 10 players and top 6 highest paid. But if we take off our Saints glasses and we are just neutral footy fans. Would we think of Geary any differently to someone like Greg Broughton? It is no surprise we are bottom.
Exactly. If he is our 'backline general' then we are terrible. I said he was a good player in our side.
But so would Greg Broughton be.
Geary at middle-rung club would be a solid no-name who would play most games (Broughton played 20 games last year in a side that won 10 games).
At a top 4 side neither would get a game.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gerry is a GOP at best. A great trier, but disposal and decision making is below average.mif he's in our best, we are in serious trouble.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

That should be Geary and if. Bloody predictive text!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think there's any doubt that Geary is in our best players - and that he is also a GOP at best who would struggle to get a game in a top 4 club.

And that is why we will remain a bottom 2 club for another couple of years

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I disagree on Geary he's a great contributor and while disposal isn't his greatest asset he will do everything in his power to win you a game of footy.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Dempster Delaney Geary

Newnes Goddard Fisher

Templeton Armitage Weller

Schneider Bruce Membrey

Lonie Riewoldt McCartin

Hickey, Dunstan
Steven

Inter: Acres, Savage, Roberton SUB: Saad

FQF
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Dempster Delaney Geary

Newnes Goddard Fisher

Schneider Bruce Membrey

Lonie Riewoldt McCartin

Hickey, Dunstan
Steven

That does seem like our best available.

Membrey should get 3-4 games to show something, otherwise Lee and Spencer to take his spot.

Templeton would have to be in danger when Joey gets back — he has shown very little in the preseason.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I cant see us winning in round 1.
Hopefully its a real battle though.

Razor
Club Player

Shenton Delaney Dempster

Roberton Fisher Acres

Savage Steven Newnes

Tempelton Reiwoldt Weller

Membrey Bruce Sadd

Hickey Dunstan Armitage

Goddard Mccartin Geary Sub Lonie

one point
Club Player

I like the look of jack Sinclair. May get a game sooner than later. Didn't appear to be overawed against the Hawks. Could be a long term player for us.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
SainterK wrote: B: Dempster Delaney Geary

HB: Savage Simpkin Roberton

C: Newnes Steven Sinclair

HF: Templeton Riewoldt Membery

F: Saad Bruce Lonie

Foll: Hickey Weller Armitage

Int: McCartin Dunstan Pierce Acres

Sub: Goddard

Play the kids, injury forces our hand, but it's GWS so lets do it anyhow
Like!
And we will get over the line (just).
That team is awful. No midfield at all really. Geez how we will miss Joey, Billings, Farren Ray and even Seb Ross to run through there...

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fisher, Dempster and Geary have to play every week for mine. Especially due to the fact that Gilbert is injured and Gwilt gawn. Delaney is a player and so is Bruce. Our problem is that Bruce may end up playing forward, so that leaves us one man down.
Remember that Fisher has played in Grand Finals as has Dempster, and boy, did we miss Geary last year. Without those three, the backline is massively exposed, especially in light of our injuries to the midfield meaning that opposition forwards are likely to get plenty of supply.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
SainterK wrote: B: Dempster Delaney Geary

HB: Savage Simpkin Roberton

C: Newnes Steven Sinclair

HF: Templeton Riewoldt Membery

F: Saad Bruce Lonie

Foll: Hickey Weller Armitage

Int: McCartin Dunstan Pierce Acres

Sub: Goddard

Play the kids, injury forces our hand, but it's GWS so lets do it anyhow
Like!
And we will get over the line (just).
That team is awful. No midfield at all really. Geez how we will miss Joey, Billings, Farren Ray and even Seb Ross to run through there...
Half back line is awful, but Fisher will be there round 1, not Simpkin. Longer will be second ruck, not Pierce. That makes the side a bit stronger. GWS are not world beaters yet. I have yet to see anybody who plays for them able to counter Riewoldt either.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Dempster Delaney Geary

Newnes Goddard Fisher

Schneider Bruce Membrey

Lonie Riewoldt McCartin

Hickey, Dunstan
Steven

That does seem like our best available.

Membrey should get 3-4 games to show something, otherwise Lee and Spencer to take his spot.

Templeton would have to be in danger when Joey gets back — he has shown very little in the preseason.
He will get a few weeks to prove himself if he is included due to Joey's injury. It took Milne a while too.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
I am about done with life if Geary is in our top 6 paid players.

Why do we reward players that have crappy disposal? He can't kick. In the game in Brisvegas, it was not out youngens who were turning it over, it was Geary. Again and again.

Greg Broughton would be welcome on our list...

The sooner that Geary does not get a game for us the better. Really below-average player.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm clearly out of sync, I don't profess to know anything, I know very little in fact....but wow...I really don't agree.

People blinded by the flashy lights at times, and don't understand that sometimes with flash, there is too much picking and choosing when to go.

Footskills, sure they are important but footy is filled with guys where its all come a little too easy imho.

Geary, Bruce, Simpkin....i want some unconditionals in there too.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Kicking the ball directly to opposition players not under pressure is not just a Geary thing, it's almost a team thing- Richo is the man that needs to sort it, as it is a very critical team discipline thing. I had better watch it as Plugger 66 will be on here having a go at me as he knows I don't rate Richo as a coach.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Kicking the ball directly to opposition players not under pressure is not just a Geary thing, it's almost a team thing- Richo is the man that needs to sort it, as it is a very critical team discipline thing. I had better watch it as Plugger 66 will be on here having a go at me as he knows I don't rate Richo as a coach.
Well according to Kingsley 'kicking and outside stuff doesnt matter'. The game plan is to work your ass off to get the opposition to cough it up with intense pressure, then clear it and kick it directly back to the opposition. Then you can go again and put on intense defensive pressure. Then kick it back to them again and repeat.
You do this for 2 and half quarters until you are spent. Then you tire and let them run all over you in the second half with easy goals.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I'm clearly out of sync, I don't profess to know anything, I know very little in fact....but wow...I really don't agree.

People blinded by the flashy lights at times, and don't understand that sometimes with flash, there is too much picking and choosing when to go.

Footskills, sure they are important but footy is filled with guys where its all come a little too easy imho.

Geary, Bruce, Simpkin....i want some unconditionals in there too.
I can't agree. Geary gets the ball much more than the other two in a game combined and sure there comes responsibility with that?

Fact is, he can't kick and for a bloke who is 26/27 and in our 'leadership group', it really sums up where we are at, but who needs to go in order to get better.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How do people feel about Longer v Pierce?
I know Billy will get plenty of opportunities because he was a high draft pick and highly rated junior. To me Lewis looks like a better all round player but will we use Billy as a human battering ram with his big body?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:How do people feel about Longer v Pierce?
I know Billy will get plenty of opportunities because he was a high draft pick and highly rated junior. To me Lewis looks like a better all round player but will we use Billy as a human battering ram with his big body?
At this stage none of those two would get a game at any other AFL club IMO.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
FQF
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How do people feel about Longer v Pierce?
At this stage none of those two would get a game at any other AFL club IMO.
Longer has the developed body to get to and contest more ball ups/throw ins. There was one throw in against Hawthorn where we simply did not have a ruckman - it was a absurd.

Pierce seems to have better marking and 'around the ground' ability.

They are both decent at getting involved in the contest immediately after the ball up with tackling/smothering etc.

On balance it's probably even but if Longer is fit then he has to be given the first opportunity because he is older and more advanced in the system. If we played Pierce we'd essentially be writing Longer off after one season. Rucks need a lot of time to develop all aspects of their game and I think it's far too soon to draw a line through Longer. Pierce will get his chance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

geary's a very different player in many ways, but tries his heart out for us, just like the blake.
could go on and prove as valuable. never close to a star, but eventually integral to the side.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "