Saints v Hawthorn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Saints v Hawthorn

plugger66 wrote:There is only one side in spoon contention and that is unfortunately us. Our best 2 chances for a win this year are round one against GWS and we have far to many injuries for that and then Essendon which we will beat if their players are suspended.
Nonsense! You are taking the role of pragmatic realist way too far. Dare to believe. Saints won't be making finals, we have a good chance of collecting another spoon, but there are other horses in that race, and we're chances to win in more than 2 games.

Besides anything, if we are the only team in contention, there's no contention.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

spoon

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There is only one side in spoon contention and that is unfortunately us. Our best 2 chances for a win this year are round one against GWS and we have far to many injuries for that and then Essendon which we will beat if their players are suspended.
Nonsense! You are taking the role of pragmatic realist way too far. Dare to believe. Saints won't be making finals, we have a good chance of collecting another spoon, but there are other horses in that race, and we're chances to win in more than 2 games.

Besides anything, if we are the only team in contention, there's no contention.

Agree, Melbourne, Dogs and Collingwood all capable of collapsing, no guarantees the Lions have improved enough yet. It's NAB time and all of a sudden people are getting a clearer picture? Carlton could have a shitty year too.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:spoon
we are a more genuine spooner this year than last year and last year we were a genuine spooner.

We looked ok early with a full team but once injuries kicked in we just got hammered.

We have significant injures to significant playersbefore a ball has been bounced this season.

Genuine spooner and then we pick #1 and if we lose Steven #2 compo.

Maybe a FA and we look to get off the bottom in 2016.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
we are a more genuine spooner this year than last year and last year we were a genuine spooner.

We looked ok early with a full team but once injuries kicked in we just got hammered.

We have significant injures to significant playersbefore a ball has been bounced this season.

I think we are better than last year at round one with Steven breaking down and no Fisher. Armo, Gilbert etc. all going down for periods during the year. I think we should improve, unfortunately so will others. We have no reason to assume we will be a certain last place, others will have problems with injuries and form too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I think we are better than last year at round one with Steven breaking down and no Fisher. Armo, Gilbert etc. all going down for periods during the year. I think we should improve, unfortunately so will others. We have no reason to assume we will be a certain last place, others will have problems with injuries and form too.
Instead of mentioning 3 sides Gringo give us the one side that is more likely to finish last more than any other side and tell us how many wins we will have and what position we will finish. I think based on last year and no reason why we will improve I think we are nearly certain to finish last. We will just about certainly know after the Essendon decision and round one. Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way. Love to be proven wrong by beating GWS but their practice match form has been very good. Ours has been close to poor. Brisbane was actually ok but the other 2 games showed where we are at IMO.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sorry anyone who thinks we are not a monty for the spoon - aside from those that work for the club and have to say party line stuff - is seriously deluded.

I'll mention two words: no Lenny.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way. Love to be proven wrong by beating GWS but their practice match form has been very good. Ours has been close to poor. Brisbane was actually ok but the other 2 games showed where we are at IMO.
So In your opinion this year we will be worse than a 4 win side with a percentage of 60.8 and by a fair way as you mentioned - so that would lead me to believing that this year in your opinion we are a 1 to 2 win side with a percentage under 50 - you did say by a fair way maybe I am being generous with the 2nd win??

Also IYO we apparently showed where we are at by beating Essendon by 50pts and then heavily losing to a top strength reigning Premiers side whilst fielding a seconds line up which leads you to believe your point that we will be a worse side than last year by a considerable way :shock:

Anyway IMO I dont think you have any idea but I guess we just have to wait and see

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way. Love to be proven wrong by beating GWS but their practice match form has been very good. Ours has been close to poor. Brisbane was actually ok but the other 2 games showed where we are at IMO.
So In your opinion this year we will be worse than a 4 win side with a percentage of 60.8 and by a fair way as you mentioned - so that would lead me to believing that this year in your opinion we are a 1 to 2 win side with a percentage under 50 - you did say by a fair way maybe I am being generous with the 2nd win??

Also IYO we apparently showed where we are at by beating Essendon by 50pts and then heavily losing to a top strength reigning Premiers side whilst fielding a seconds line up which leads you to believe your point that we will be a worse side than last year by a considerable way :shock:

Anyway IMO I dont think you have any idea but I guess we just have to wait and see
I think p66 and Bunk, both who I fight with often and often disagree with are both being very realistic about this year. Yes, only 2 wins is quite likely. We are that far off the pace. Don't kid yourself. As for percentage, it's unlikely to be 50% but could dip a bit below 60%. Sorry I can't see us winning 4 times this season. What if Roo gets injured? No Roo no Lenny and it's a massive task for Armo and Jack in the engine room, and an impossible ask for the kiddies to stand up.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I thought we would be in the doldrums for at least a further 2 years ..I have reassessed ....at least 3 now and I'm not making this judgment on the Hawthorn game alone.
During the 3 year period we will lose Roo, Fisher and possibly Joey,Ray and the skills displayed by the rest are under par, will take a few seasons to hone. My major disappointment is the fact that the club couldn't maintain a competitive side so I am hopeful management will improve and we will retain the kids we have that turn into stars(if they do). I think we all have reason to be angry with how the club has bottomed as it has.
Ladies and Gentlemen...suck it up.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I thought we would be in the doldrums for at least a further 2 years ..I have reassessed ....at least 3 now and I'm not making this judgment on the Hawthorn game alone.
During the 3 year period we will lose Roo, Fisher and possibly Joey,Ray and the skills displayed by the rest are under par, will take a few seasons to hone. My major disappointment is the fact that the club couldn't maintain a competitive side so I am hopeful management will improve and we will retain the kids we have that turn into stars(if they do). I think we all have reason to be angry with how the club has bottomed as it has.
Sad but true. It's an effing disgrace how both coaching staff and admin staff several years back let us get into this massive hole we are now in.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I thought we would be in the doldrums for at least a further 2 years ..I have reassessed ....at least 3 now and I'm not making this judgment on the Hawthorn game alone.
Sad but true. It's an effing disgrace how both coaching staff and admin staff several years back let us get into this massive hole we are now in.
Which is why all this talk about 'not ready for free agency' is ridiculous. We need to bring in quality senior players who will give us a competitive edge, especially as we lose the players you've mentioned.

If anyone thinks we can survive another 2 seasons with a percentage at 50-60 are deluding themselves.

It's all very well to draft kids and to sign them up in a future fest but if we are not winning games 1) they will not develop to their potential and 2) the club will be in turmoil.

This rebuilding, learning, kids, kids, future, kids lingo will only last so long before things start to crumble.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I think p66 and Bunk, both who I fight with often and often disagree with are both being very realistic about this year. Yes, only 2 wins is quite likely. We are that far off the pace. Don't kid yourself. As for percentage, it's unlikely to be 50% but could dip a bit below 60%. Sorry I can't see us winning 4 times this season. What if Roo gets injured? No Roo no Lenny and it's a massive task for Armo and Jack in the engine room, and an impossible ask for the kiddies to stand up.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I am not happy to predict a wooden spoon. I have been called deluded and "embracing mediocrity" because I try to see the best in our club and our players.

I take no pleasure in where I think we will end up. And it is not being gloomy, it is being realistic in my opinion. My self worth is not attached to the waxing and waning of our clubs position and chances of a flag so I make my prediction dispassionately.

Like P66, I would love to be proven wrong and climb off the bottom of the ladder, but I cant see it happening unless Essendon is hit with a huge penalty for their players.

We are in a far worse position that last season, but I always thought that we would have at least two years on the bottom, so I am not gloomy about it.

I would be looking for improvement in overall gamestyle and competitiveness. Instead of an average 6-8 goal loss I would like to see a average 3-5 goal loss ratio for the season, and a couple of wins here and there.

This is not a disaster, it is the reality of our poor recruiting when going for the flag, and the rebuild process. We just have to suck it up as Fireman states.

Nothing else to do.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
People voted for the Football First mob and this is the result.

I was howled down for asking questions about them, but hey, I don't hear anyone taking responsibility for them now.

All would have been forgiven if we had have won just one flag, but we didn't so we reap what we sow as supporters who threw out a very good stable admin who actually put us in the black form the first time in memory and went for a "crash through or crash" admin who crashed and burned.

Finnis is now left to pick up the pieces of the irresponsible Football First regime and Mr Right and his cronies.

If anyone here voted for them, you have no right to complain now.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Very sad how the club put nothing of value in place during Westaway's tenure, it just seemed like they went along for the ride with no real passion, the scene was set for our finances to go down the gurgler and once the train derailed that was it. I can only hope the crowd in charge now are able to somehow perform a minor miracle and drag this club back into competitive state -on and of the field. I just want to see a good competitive effort on the field if nothing else, even if we don't win a lot of games, I want to see games fought out and then I will know there is a future, but apart from a reasonable pre-season effort against the Lions, and a win which should have been a whole lot bigger against the third-rate team Essendon ran at Morwell, the roll over and play dead effort against Hawthorn was not encouraging.

Pleasing
Club Player

Whilst I agree the previous admin did some great things in setting up the club, turning around the finances etc by the time we all decided to move them on they were a rabble half the board had defected and the President appeared to be suffering a nervous breakdown or something more chemically driven. The good work of the early years was being undone right when our window was opening. The Footy First crew didn't have the long term vision of their predecessors and ultimately didn't have the answers either commercially of football wise but there really was no choice at the time, the Board was dysfunctional in my view once the Thomas - Butterss partnership disintegrated the vision and purpose of the administration was lost. Butterss shambolic performance on Talking Footy after sacking Thomas was the end for me he was a man at the end of his tether. Always thankful for what he and Thomas and others did in the early 2000's but the grand experiment had all but exploded by 2007.

Let me in
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Instead of mentioning 3 sides Gringo give us the one side that is more likely to finish last more than any other side and tell us how many wins we will have and what position we will finish. I think based on last year and no reason why we will improve I think we are nearly certain to finish last. We will just about certainly know after the Essendon decision and round one. Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way. Love to be proven wrong by beating GWS but their practice match form has been very good. Ours has been close to poor. Brisbane was actually ok but the other 2 games showed where we are at IMO.
What you want me to predict the future? That would be just a pointless silly episode. We are likely to improve as we get games into kids and get back Steven and Fisher who didn't contribute much last year. Melbourne are in a very similar position and any improvement from them is just as likely or unlikely as ours. The dogs played a good game against Collingwood but have lost a lot of experience. It's very early to get all c**k a hoop about them. If you want people to justify every opinion they have on here it will make every post a pointless pissing contest and hardly anyone but you enjoys those. We are a possible wooden spooner along with quite a few others. There are several clubs that with a bit of bad luck could drop bellow us. I'm not writing a season off before it starts. If it makes you feel better go for it, I will reserve judgement until I see some real games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

Well I could say you have no idea but you didn't give an opinion. Yes I think we will win maybe 2 games this year and probably have a worse percentage than last year. We didn't beat Essendon, we beat a side with only Chapman in it that will play more than 10 games. I like you though. I just wish you understood footy because this is a footy site.

And out of all the negative opinions by others you only picked mine out. Pretty sad really but expected. I notice you didn't bother commenting on me saying I would love to be proven wrong. Anyway knocking someone who says something negative about our side is always safe because that person is in a no win situation because if we do win 2 games this year no one is going to beat their chest and say I was right and you were wrong.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 23 Mar 2015 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

What you want me to predict the future? That would be just a pointless silly episode. We are likely to improve as we get games into kids and get back Steven and Fisher who didn't contribute much last year. Melbourne are in a very similar position and any improvement from them is just as likely or unlikely as ours. The dogs played a good game against Collingwood but have lost a lot of experience. It's very early to get all c**k a hoop about them. If you want people to justify every opinion they have on here it will make every post a pointless pissing contest and hardly anyone but you enjoys those. We are a possible wooden spooner along with quite a few others. There are several clubs that with a bit of bad luck could drop bellow us. I'm not writing a season off before it starts. If it makes you feel better go for it, I will reserve judgement until I see some real games.

So you have never given us changes for the following week or said we may win 6 games this year or ghiven us our best side for round one? Really Gringo?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Well I could say you have no idea but you didn't give an opinion.
But you did get my opinion which was that I do not agree with your opinion and if you are smart enough you would realise that I think we will win more games than you think we will win
plugger66 wrote:Yes I think we will win maybe 2 games this year and probably have a worse percentage than last year.

Hold on you said and I quote "Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way" and now you are saying that we "probably" will have a worst percentage than last year - yet you were adamant that we will be worse by "a fair way"

Its like seeing you walking a tight rope and you think wow thats impressive look at Plugger66 walking a tightrope what a gutsy thing to do and then the camera pans down to reveal a catch net one foot below the tightrope and then the camera pans down further to reveal the rope is 3 feet from the ground.

Its never comfortable watching someone backtrack
plugger66 wrote:We didn't beat Essendon, we beat a side with only Chapman in it that will play more than 10 games. I like you though. I just wish you understood footy because this is a footy site.

Pretty sure the team we beat wears a black/grey jumper with a red sash on it and I'm pretty sure that team is Essendon - just because they were silly enough to dope up and players couldnt play for them doesnt mean we didnt play Essendon - I like you too but you do come out with some silly comments occasionally
plugger66 wrote:And out of all the negative opinions by others you only picked mine out. Pretty sad really but expected.
Your opinion was sillier than all the other negative opinions - I couldnt help but reply
plugger66 wrote:I notice you didn't bother commenting on me saying I would love to be proven wrong.
But you always do - as would anyone do when they give a negative opionion - dont see what it has to do with anything - yes I was proven wrong I'm so happy!!!
plugger66 wrote:Anyway knocking someone who says something negative about our side is always safe because that person is in a no win situation because if we do win 2 games this year no one is going to beat their chest and say I was right and you were wrong.
So by knocking your negative opinion is me playing it safe because I dont agree with it??

Seriously WTF!!

What a silly man you are

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Well I could say you have no idea but you didn't give an opinion.
But you did get my opinion which was that I do not agree with your opinion and if you are smart enough you would realise that I think we will win more games than you think we will win
plugger66 wrote:Yes I think we will win maybe 2 games this year and probably have a worse percentage than last year.

Hold on you said and I quote "Sadly I see us as worse than last year and by a fair way" and now you are saying that we "probably" will have a worst percentage than last year - yet you were adamant that we will be worse by "a fair way"

Its like seeing you walking a tight rope and you think wow thats impressive look at Plugger66 walking a tightrope what a gutsy thing to do and then the camera pans down to reveal a catch net one foot below the tightrope and then the camera pans down further to reveal the rope is 3 feet from the ground.

Its never comfortable watching someone backtrack
plugger66 wrote:We didn't beat Essendon, we beat a side with only Chapman in it that will play more than 10 games. I like you though. I just wish you understood footy because this is a footy site.

Pretty sure the team we beat wears a black/grey jumper with a red sash on it and I'm pretty sure that team is Essendon - just because they were silly enough to dope up and players couldnt play for them doesnt mean we didnt play Essendon - I like you too but you do come out with some silly comments occasionally
plugger66 wrote:And out of all the negative opinions by others you only picked mine out. Pretty sad really but expected.
Your opinion was sillier than all the other negative opinions - I couldnt help but reply
plugger66 wrote:I notice you didn't bother commenting on me saying I would love to be proven wrong.
But you always do - as would anyone do when they give a negative opionion - dont see what it has to do with anything - yes I was proven wrong I'm so happy!!!
plugger66 wrote:Anyway knocking someone who says something negative about our side is always safe because that person is in a no win situation because if we do win 2 games this year no one is going to beat their chest and say I was right and you were wrong.
So by knocking your negative opinion is me playing it safe because I dont agree with it??

Seriously WTF!!

What a silly man you are

What very sad quoting. Lets start with the first point. You not agreeing with me doesn't tell me how many wins in your opinion we will have. The second point is even funnier. 2 wins would be 50% less wins. I reckon that is a fair bit worse so I certainly didn't back down especially to you, the person without an opinion. The third comment is just silly. Obviously we played Essendon but it wasn't Essendon as we know it and if the players get suspended there will be at least 6-8 better players in the side and if they don't it will be close to 22 better players. As for my comments being sillier well that's just a silly opinion that you based on nothing at all just like your opinion on this topic. Yep you are clearly playing safe knowing that no one will bring you into account if I am right. Safe bet from a person who has no opinion on the topic and has a go at someone who does.

And if you knew anything about footy, which it seems you don't, you would have to say our practice match form hasn't been very good at all. And common sense, something that bypassed you at birth would suggest the side on paper isn't as good as last year. I do like discussing things with you though as it gives me confidence that I have at least one person covered on here when talking footy. Now quote that again. its like playing with a kid who failed kindergarten.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: What very sad quoting. Lets start with the first point. You not agreeing with me doesn't tell me how many wins in your opinion we will have. The second point is even funnier. 2 wins would be 50% less wins. I reckon that is a fair bit worse so I certainly didn't back down especially to you, the person without an opinion. The third comment is just silly. Obviously we played Essendon but it wasn't Essendon as we know it and if the players get suspended there will be at least 6-8 better players in the side and if they don't it will be close to 22 better players. As for my comments being sillier well that's just a silly opinion that you based on nothing at all just like your opinion on this topic. Yep you are clearly playing safe knowing that no one will bring you into account if I am right. Safe bet from a person who has no opinion on the topic and has a go at someone who does.

And if you knew anything about footy, which it seems you don't, you would have to say our practice match form hasn't been very good at all. And common sense, something that bypassed you at birth would suggest the side on paper isn't as good as last year. I do like discussing things with you though as it gives me confidence that I have at least one person covered on here when talking footy. Now quote that again. its like playing with a kid who failed kindergarten.
Seriously thats your comeback after I just picked you apart - what a silly little man you are

Now you are saying we actually did play Essendon when you said we didnt - what a silly little man you are

and you are saying I didnt give an opinion when I clearly stated that we will win more games than you think we will - what a silly little man you are

and now apparently winning two less games than we won last year with no change to the percentage is being worse by a fair way - what a silly little man you are

and what makes you sillier than the sillest man to have posted on this site is that you are taking our practice match form and basing that on your opinion on how many games we will win this year - here is something for you - they are called practice matches for a reason

As for you thinking that me along with other people on this site know nothing about football - which is one your bog standard comebacks - just tops off how silly you really are

Poster to P66 - I dont agree with your opinion

P66 - You know nothing about footy and you failed kindergarten. You are a silly little man :roll:

I mean what kid has ever failed kindergarten

You really are very very silly but I reckon you passed kindergarten but only probably just

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote: What very sad quoting. Lets start with the first point. You not agreeing with me doesn't tell me how many wins in your opinion we will have. The second point is even funnier. 2 wins would be 50% less wins. I reckon that is a fair bit worse so I certainly didn't back down especially to you, the person without an opinion. The third comment is just silly. Obviously we played Essendon but it wasn't Essendon as we know it and if the players get suspended there will be at least 6-8 better players in the side and if they don't it will be close to 22 better players. As for my comments being sillier well that's just a silly opinion that you based on nothing at all just like your opinion on this topic. Yep you are clearly playing safe knowing that no one will bring you into account if I am right. Safe bet from a person who has no opinion on the topic and has a go at someone who does.

Seriously thats your comeback after I just picked you apart - what a silly little man you are

Now you are saying we actually did play Essendon when you said we didnt - what a silly little man you are

and you are saying I didnt give an opinion when I clearly stated that we will win more games than you think we will - what a silly little man you are

and now apparently winning two less games than we won last year with no change to the percentage is being worse by a fair way - what a silly little man you are

and what makes you sillier than the sillest man to have posted on this site is that you are taking our practice match form and basing that on your opinion on how many games we will win this year - here is something for you - they are called practice matches for a reason

As for you thinking that me along with other people on this site know nothing about football - which is one your bog standard comebacks - just tops off how silly you really are

P66 - You know nothing about footy and you failed kindergarten. You are a silly little man :roll:

You really are very very silly but I reckon you passed kindergarten but only probably just

Did you parents get a refund on your schooling. And now it seems not only do you know little about footy but obviously maths wasn't a strong point at kindergarten either. 2 less wins when you win 4 last year is a hell of a lot worse than last year. Its 2 wins or 50% worse. And you have a go at my comebacks but say silly little man about 10 times. Wow. Very grown up stuff. And I thought you may have been an adult.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Did you parents get a refund on your schooling. And now it seems not only do you know little about footy but obviously maths wasn't a strong point at kindergarten either. 2 less wins when you win 4 last year is a hell of a lot worse than last year. Its 2 wins or 50% worse. And you have a go at my comebacks but say silly little man about 10 times. Wow. Very grown up stuff. And I thought you may have been an adult.
Refund on your schooling?? - ha ha that ole chestnut - you're slipping Pluggsy you use that one all the time - you need more quips

As for "silly little man" isnt that one your other hilarious trademark comebacks - they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - oh well I guess you missed my awesome joke :(

BTW if you win 17 and have two less wins the following year is that a hell of a lot worse than last year?

Based on your maths I guess the equivalent of us losing 2 more games is year is the same as Hawthorn losing 8.5 more games than last year - yet Hawthorn go from first to somehwere outside the eight and we go from last to ................. well last - last time I checked it is pretty hard to be any worse than last

Anyway just this once I will let you change your opinion if you would like to but you have to do before the end of the next page or it doesnt count

Playon
Club Player

Honestly anyone basing our NAB cup games to predict our season are kidding themselves, It's only about giving a go to certain players to see what they can do, Yeah I can expand on this but I'm not going to bother.
Our round 1 side wont be the one that played the hawks. So far the most of what I've heard is that the sky is falling.