LED lighting/Free WiFi/TV screens/Food discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LED lighting/Free WiFi/TV screens/Food discussion

1. Al the wizzbang hipster advertising around the boundary and level 2 was a bit in your face at first but tolerable I found after a quarter. If it generates higher advertising revenue then fair enough.

2. Free WiFi worked very well. I could stream ABC Iview for my son to entertain him!

3. TV screens everywhere with Saints colours made it "feel" a bit more St.Kilda and less generic, so a tick for that. Also enabled more viewing opportunities of the game.

4. Food - hot dogs still $6.50, fish n chips major rip off at $11.80 (won't do that again). Pies for $3 but didn't want one today. Kids had the free popcorn which was a nice touch at half time.

5. Kick to Kick pots match. Went onto the ground along with thousands of others. Son and myself got sconed by footys. Nice idea. Forgot how dangerous it is!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: LED lighting/Free WiFi/TV screens/Food discussion

1 cheeseburger and 3 nuggets with chips $19.10

Finally we are being listened to. :?

Hard when that's what the kids want. They wont eat a footy pie until I can explain what the rubbery, chewy things inside them are.

Saintsational Legend

Whizzing advertising makes it impossible to follow the game on the other side of the ground. Utter crap!

Free wifi, not free, you have to log on and have no idea what they're taking from your phone.

TV screens everywhere had advertising on them, only the main scoreboard screens had Saints crap!

Food? Why would yo buy food at the footy?

Kick to kick is the most dangerous pursuit ever invented. Will last until the first serious hospitalisation of a three year old!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:1 cheeseburger and 3 nuggets with chips $19.10

Finally we are being listened to. :?

Hard when that's what the kids want. They wont eat a footy pie until I can explain what the rubbery, chewy things inside them are.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They've certainly jacked up the prices of everything else .
Those chewy things inside the pies ?

you guessed it ; Frank Stallone !

In red white and black from 73
realdeal
Club Player

A pie has gone down but a schooner of beer has gone up. Now $7.40!

Three screens each bay is good but the middle screen showing a different game (bloody collingwood) distracts from the other screens.

Umpires funding us over again doesn't help the mood. 50m penalty for staying in front of a player so they don't play on is crazy.
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 05 Apr 2015 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We paid thirty dollars for 2 hotdogs and a bucket of chips but got some shitty yellow pop corn that looked dangerous to eat. The kick to kick was good fun but if someone didn't injure them selves it will be a miracle. My kid took out another kid and knocked a ladies iPhone out of her hand with his overzealous attack on the ball.

Darren
Club Player

Underground car parking went up to $30 now, they now have a pay machine ticketing system (similar to Costco and Crown parking) and I'm not sure if that is part of the reason for the price increase.

I like the tvs however they should replace the middle screen (that showed a replay of last night's Collingwood game) with the advertising used on the left and right screens.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

are you allowed to take food in?
im guessing not?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

What's with all the loud music and that screeching bottle blonde on the big screen, i'm thinking of phoning the club and asking them if they can STFU pre game, can't hear the radio, let alone the dude next to me..

Match day experience my ass.... :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Darren wrote:Underground car parking went up to $30 now, they now have a pay machine ticketing system (similar to Costco and Crown parking) and I'm not sure if that is part of the reason for the price increase.

I like the tvs however they should replace the middle screen (that showed a replay of last night's Collingwood game) with the advertising used on the left and right screens.
Go to the car park on Spencer street was still $20 on event days at Etihad recently for the soccer.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I thought the advertising boards showing red,white and black more often was a nice touch. Certainly helped to give it more of a home game feel.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I thought the advertising boards showing red,white and black more often was a nice touch. Certainly helped to give it more of a home game feel.
I thought I'd end up epileptic with flashing and strobing though.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
remboy wrote:I thought the advertising boards showing red,white and black more often was a nice touch. Certainly helped to give it more of a home game feel.
I thought I'd end up epileptic with flashing and strobing though.
Might have to take the sunglasses next time :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
andrewg
Club Player

I have to disagree with most posts here, the music was great added atmosphere, the game starting three minutes after the players came out was fantastic. Would love them to introduce each saints player like the soccer.
The food was rubbish and overpriced but you are allowed to bring food in now whatever you want.

It was 10 times better than Sunday games last year.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Pre Game experience is needed today.. Need some music, nice interviews and engagement.. Good Idea and it adds to the experience..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Enjoyed the Saints theme advertising boards, the music was fine, and the youngsters hosting the big screen were no worse than James Sherry and his annoying blond mate.

More importantly, it was encouraging to see the club / the AFL making some kind of effort. In this world of entertainment where the footy now sits, there needs to be more than just the 4 quarters of action to keep the punters happy. I'm sure all clubs will be trying different strategies this year, and like the Saints initiatives yesterday, some will work, and some will suck, but it's nice to see them doing something.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I thought the pre game stuff was good , however it was a bit lame !
when the muppet was banging the drum , everyone who had the thundersticks ( most didn't )needed to bang em in tune .
The t-shirt gun needs to be able to send them further than 3 rows into the stand .
The bon jovi sing a long gave those thundersticks a phallic look , especially when the camera's only seemed to focus on woman singing into them .
The selfie's would probably appeal to the narcissist's , but not me .

Kudos to the Club for trying different things !
maybe free massage's for stressed out fans after the match .

avid
Club Player

[quote=
More importantly, it was encouraging to see the club / the AFL making some kind of effort. In this world of entertainment where the footy now sits, there needs to be more than just the 4 quarters of action to keep the punters happy. I'm sure all clubs will be trying different strategies this year, and like the Saints initiatives yesterday, some will work, and some will suck, but it's nice to see them doing something.[/quote]

Yes, well said, and in the spirit of trial and error I hope the club is reading this topic.

We (our footy gang) generally appreciated the effort at 'innovation in favour of the supporter'.
Three things that caused negative comment from us:

1 The VOLUME of the noise -- the music and the screeching interviews -- was intolerable, even painful. Just when you wanted to discuss the game, or what we did over the footy drought, it became completely impossible to talk to the person next to you. This may be the desired effect at a nightclub, but not at the footy. Please TURN IT DOWN!!!!

2 The multiple bands of around the ground advertising are impressive, and sometimes beautiful. But during the game, when the play is on the far side of the ground (which it is for some of us most of the time), it got extremely distracting. When the whole background changes colour or flashes in lurid strobe, it's almost impossible to follow the flight of the ball. Surely footy is meant to be the FOREGROUND event here, not the advertising.

3 At $6.50 a hotdog is still an astonishing rip-off. What makes a length of flavoured meat slurry in a mass-produced roll more than twice as sophisticated as a traditional meat pie?

Everything else the club is trying -- terrific!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the flashing signs were pissing me off on the tv let alone being there

loris
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:the flashing signs were pissing me off on the tv let alone being there
me too matrix

bigballs
Club Player

What was the Belle Roscoe's rendition of "When the Saints come marching in" like.......any good?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

1. Food - Everything is either the same price or has gone up (most gone up) except for a pie. I mean $5.40 for a bottle of water - Frig off!!!
2. Female announcer - Honestly I have nothing against the ladies but when it comes to trying to speak in front of a crowd the shrill voice was just annoying plus we couldn't hear a word she said.
3. Advertising/Songs - From where we were sitting we could not understand a word. It was all muffled.
4. There were no TV screens where I was but the "colourful" advertising was very annoying.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:What was the Belle Roscoe's rendition of "When the Saints come marching in" like.......any good?
We couldn't hear it and it nearly put me to sleep. Very slow. But I suppose I wouldn't be the target market.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
bigballs wrote:What was the Belle Roscoe's rendition of "When the Saints come marching in" like.......any good?
We couldn't hear it and it nearly put me to sleep. Very slow. But I suppose I wouldn't be the target market.
Maybe the target market is insomniac's !

I thought it was boring as batshit !
Carn't wait till the death metal version is shown .

stevie
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:are you allowed to take food in?
im guessing not?
You can take into Metricon. Thermos of coffee too. Wouldn't there be the same 'rules' at all the grounds?