Saints v Blues Match Thread in Welly

Re: Saints v Blues Match Thread in Welly

whiskers3614 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Time for Longer to have a break - if Hickey gets a run at it we shouldnt see Longer again for a while
17 possessions and 48 hit outs not enough?
And what effect around the ground has he had?
Sorry I'm not at the game,
where were those possessions and hit-outs gathered if not round the ground?
In the car-park perhaps!
Longer has definitely done enough although was less effective in the second half. Hate to say it but another tall forward and Bruce back in defence seems logical to me. At least we would have improved flexibility in talls during game time.

hard viewing. i really hope the boys were still playing with a bug - cause it sure looked like it. if not, then we're further behind than i thought. awful footy against an awful team that were there for the picking.

Austinnn wrote:Which Saints performed well today?
Not Steven - waiting for him to step up but getting absolutely nothing

NZ experiment is dead - 3 played 0 wins

And just to rub it in out of form Murphy gets BOG

Absolutely no one left at the ground during the speeches

Freebird wrote:Outs next week - Delaney, Newnes, Shenton, Dunstan, Roberton, Sinclair, Curran, Saad, McCartin
No list is way too long. Maybe 3 at the max.

Would have liked to see Newnes freed up from the Murphy tag today and Curren or maybe even Saad given the job. Really shows when hard nuts like Weller are missing.

I'm guessing that Riewoldt and Montagna will not be available again next week, so who comes in?

Templeton won't make the team better
Webster might if he's fit
Gilbert is not ready after a long lay-off
Ray is injured
Ross is injured

Goddard may be a chance
Acres may be a chance

Just gonna have to tough it out. It's going to get much uglier that what we've seen today, so if you're frothing at the mouth today, God help you.

Clearly cannot drop too many with Roo and Monty potentially still out need to be careful about going too young. Important not to judge one game too in regard to selection. That said i think McCartin needs to go play 3-6 games in the 2's regardless of performances there. Perhaps White may be an option there (performance pending). I think Geary's disposal was terrible but need the experience so he stays. Savage was poor but one game he stays. Saad definitely goes , that effort on the wing in the last couple minutes where didn't take the ball and impact and decided to punch on was poor. Like to see Goddard come in perhaps, and looking for enabler to step up tomorrow , be that Minchington, Templeton, Acres etc .

Body size and fatigue really hurt with Monty and weller missing today. Too many broken and missed tackles too.

Big Positive with Sinclair and Lonie, read game really well . Also Longer was good and needs keep playing. Liked the work off the ball Membery puts in really hard running and work which is not often seen or rewarded.

Pain is here and will continue

Maybe Saad was tired today as he was named the sub for both teams today on the AFL site!?

kalsaint wrote:Maybe Saad was tired today as he was named the sub for both teams today on the AFL site!?
Looks like Dunstan, Shenton and Sinclair were also playing a interchange for both clubs? Explains the tiredness. :roll:

Id rather lose with a side of kids than a side of middle aged hacks.
Curren and Saad arent AFL standard players so why bother with them. Give the Minch some opportunities and play Blake.

Watching Patrick Cripps be pretty much BOG with 20 contested possessions hurt. Would love to see some performaces like this from Billings. Granted he's never going to be contested ball beast but he is supposed to be elite by foot. Hasn't shown it yet. Could have got Paddys confidence up in the first few minutes but missed him from 20 yards away, 30 yards out directly in front. He's got to start hitting targets.

Free kicks were 30 to 18 the last half total were explainable but the first half needs some explanation from the umpires or the AFL. Seems totally unfair for a the team winning via pressure on the ball player rather than the frustration frees seen in the second half!

8856brother wrote:Watching Patrick Cripps be pretty much BOG with 20 contested possessions hurt. Would love to see some performaces like this from Billings. Granted he's never going to be contested ball beast but he is supposed to be elite by foot. Hasn't shown it yet. Could have got Paddys confidence up in the first few minutes but missed him from 20 yards away, 30 yards out directly in front. He's got to start hitting targets.
I was quite disappointed that we couldn't get this kid from Geraldton in WA in the draft pick of 2013. He is known for his inside pressure. Shown his skil today.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Id rather lose with a side of kids than a side of middle aged hacks.
Curren and Saad arent AFL standard players so why bother with them. Give the Minch some opportunities and play Blake.
That was a side of kids... I'm guessing we probably field the youngest side this week.

kalsaint wrote:Free kicks were 30 to 18 the last half total were explainable but the first half needs some explanation from the umpires or the AFL. Seems totally unfair for a the team winning via pressure on the ball player rather than the frustration frees seen in the second half!
interesting, Richmond got 30 free kicks last night too, and here I was thinking they were inconsistent.

Out: McCartin, Saad, Curren and Membry

Ins: Goddard, Webster, Acres and Minchington

Goddard goes forest playing the Reiwoldt role, a lead up target.

Webster, Acres and Minchington for their run and disposal efficiency.

Freebird

kalsaint wrote:
Freebird wrote:Outs next week - Delaney, Newnes, Shenton, Dunstan, Roberton, Sinclair, Curran, Saad, McCartin
No list is way too long. Maybe 3 at the max.

Would have liked to see Newnes freed up from the Murphy tag today and Curren or maybe even Saad given the job. Really shows when hard nuts like Weller are missing.

KS we're trying to see who can play and what weapons they have not have a consistent listed side for finals....bring in Acres, Goddard, McKenzie, Minchington, Webster and give them the next 2 - 3 weeks. Along with Riewoldt and Joe. We will have Gilbert also off the injury list looking at games soon.

older saint wrote:Clearly cannot drop too many with Roo and Monty potentially still out need to be careful about going too young. Important not to judge one game too in regard to selection. That said i think McCartin needs to go play 3-6 games in the 2's regardless of performances there. Perhaps White may be an option there (performance pending). I think Geary's disposal was terrible but need the experience so he stays. Savage was poor but one game he stays. Saad definitely goes , that effort on the wing in the last couple minutes where didn't take the ball and impact and decided to punch on was poor. Like to see Goddard come in perhaps, and looking for enabler to step up tomorrow , be that Minchington, Templeton, Acres etc .

Body size and fatigue really hurt with Monty and weller missing today. Too many broken and missed tackles too.

Big Positive with Sinclair and Lonie, read game really well . Also Longer was good and needs keep playing. Liked the work off the ball Membery puts in really hard running and work which is not often seen or rewarded.

Good overall comment. Need some more height and insider mids to enable the team to last out games.

Freebird

kalsaint wrote:
older saint wrote:Clearly cannot drop too many with Roo and Monty potentially still out need to be careful about going too young. Important not to judge one game too in regard to selection. That said i think McCartin needs to go play 3-6 games in the 2's regardless of performances there. Perhaps White may be an option there (performance pending). I think Geary's disposal was terrible but need the experience so he stays. Savage was poor but one game he stays. Saad definitely goes , that effort on the wing in the last couple minutes where didn't take the ball and impact and decided to punch on was poor. Like to see Goddard come in perhaps, and looking for enabler to step up tomorrow , be that Minchington, Templeton, Acres etc .

Good overall comment. Need some more height and insider mids to enable the team to last out games.
We have 2 plodders as inside mids getting smashed at centre breaks by Carlton who were #18 in league for CB

I don't think Schneider should play again just because he is experienced. Play a youngster in his place. After all, this year is all about getting games into youngsters.

citywest wrote:I don't think Schneider should play again just because he is experienced. Play a youngster in his place. After all, this year is all about getting games into youngsters.
Do you have any idea? I mean the team is three quarters kids

Maybe we should not play anyone with over 50 games experience eh chump? Whatyya reckon?

This was a really, REALLY, disappointing game today. I genuinely thought we could win this one today but to fade away like that in the second half was sole destroying. A lot of our players are just not up to it. I can't see where another win will come from this year (or next). :(

The Disch

3rd generation saint wrote:Bigger bodies win out again
You only need to click the submit button once... just saying.

citywest wrote:I don't think Schneider should play again just because he is experienced. Play a youngster in his place. After all, this year is all about getting games into youngsters.

He was the least of our problem. The young kids actually dropped away a bit. The low possession count from too many cost us as they tired.

IanRush

I like most the SS crew, and don't want harass them.......but to plugger66, hey mate Carlton won!

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.