Positives : against the cheats.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives : against the cheats.

The Fireman wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I know we lost and I really don't want us to finish last and I hate Essendon, but I can't believe how much I enjoyed that game.

Play exciting, competitive footy and people will actually pay to come and watch.
Couldn't agree more.
Agree. Great low scoring game to watch. A true 4 qtr effort

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

In the clear light of Monday, I would say that Webster is pretty rusty, Savage may have a hammy, but the team looked better balanced and it's obvious the Hickey and Acres are a plus. If Roo and Montagna are coming back, then I don't know where Membrey fits, as the two rucks allow Bruce to stay up forward. Although Steven got a lot of footy, his disposal under pressure is very ordinary, and needs to get a bit more of the contested ball as Armo is doing. Lonie and Sinclair were really impressive for young guys. I thought some of defensive work through the middle of the ground was terrible and something the coach needs to get on top of. I reckon AR would have been thinking during the game...recruit genuine leg speed.

If we put in a similar competitive effort next week, then I know we are heading in the right direction.

FQF
SS Life Member

Many times Essendon caught us on the rebound undermanned. Usually they didn't have the skills to make it hurt. But that is a coaching problem. You never see it happen with the well drilled top teams and it has nothing to do with talent.

Savage for Joey
Membrey for Roo
Acres needs a full match.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Many times Essendon caught us on the rebound undermanned. Usually they didn't have the skills to make it hurt. But that is a coaching problem. You never see it happen with the well drilled top teams and it has nothing to do with talent.

Savage for Joey
Membrey for Roo
Would we be too top heavy with Roo, Bruce, Hickey (and Longer)?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
FQF
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
FQF wrote:Many times Essendon caught us on the rebound undermanned. Usually they didn't have the skills to make it hurt. But that is a coaching problem. You never see it happen with the well drilled top teams and it has nothing to do with talent.

Savage for Joey
Membrey for Roo
It's possible but Longer and Bruce are locks and if Roo is fit he is obviously a lock.
So it's down to Hickey or Membrey and I think that Hickey offers more in terms of providing a contested marking target in transition, contesting in the goal square, giving Longer a chop out, allowing Bruce to play permanent forward. And he is not bad at the ground ball by any means.

I don't think Membrey deserves to be dropped but in my eyes he plays the same role that Roo does, so it makes more sense. I wouldn't say we are less top heavy with Membrey over Roo despite the size differences.

Legendary
Club Player

Anyone who continues to doubt that Jack Billings will be a star is a fair dinkum nuff nuff.

He oozes as much class as Dal Santo at the same stage, but is harder at the footy - give him another 40 games and he will be in our best half-dozen consistently.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Delaney is one,imo best game seen him play,helps when mids play ok also
Yes, I for one am glad that I underestimated his abilities. He was a real positive for us yesterday.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Savage for Joey
Membrey for Roo
It's possible but Longer and Bruce are locks and if Roo is fit he is obviously a lock.
So it's down to Hickey or Membrey and I think that Hickey offers more in terms of providing a contested marking target in transition, contesting in the goal square, giving Longer a chop out, allowing Bruce to play permanent forward. And he is not bad at the ground ball by any means.

I don't think Membrey deserves to be dropped but in my eyes he plays the same role that Roo does, so it makes more sense. I wouldn't say we are less top heavy with Membrey over Roo despite the size differences.

Members used his run to get right up the ground and played smaller IMO. Was his best game by far. I would probably drop one of Hickey or Longer first. Savage is a huge loss and would probably be Wright or Shenton in for him. Joey I'm not sure who would go out but possibly Sinclair as he's the most swappable for Joey.

Foz
Club Player

Players involved in scoring chains against Essendon

Bruce 6, Armitage 5, Billings 4, Newnes 4, Hickey 3 (pay the tap down Armo's throat), Sinclair 3, Lonie 3, Dunstan 2, Roberton 2, Geary 2, Webster 2, Schneider 2, Membrey 2, Steven 2, Delaney 2

Solid numbers from Billings, Sinclair and Lonie.

Centre ruck contests - the following players were involved in the following 25 centre bounce contests;

Longer 22, Weller 18, Armitage 17, Steven 16, Dunstan 12, Schneider 6, Sinclair 6, Hickey 3

Sinclair gaining good experience in the middle

SMS
Club Player

I think once billings gets the body and games he wil be a superstar. dont ride him off yet. He could be better than bonti

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:I think once billings gets the body and games he wil be a superstar. dont ride him off yet. He could be better than bonti

I couldn't give a stuff if he is better than Bonti. A Judd Hodge argue off will do me. Anyway my daughter said after Sunday he will be a star and she really knows her footy. I think she has seen all of 5 games in the last 4 years.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:Centre ruck contests - the following players were involved in the following 25 centre bounce contests;

Longer 22, Weller 18, Armitage 17, Steven 16, Dunstan 12, Schneider 6, Sinclair 6, Hickey 3

Good stats mate, thanks. Haven't seen them before.

What I find intriguing about that is:

- Hickey was barely in the middle at all.
- We only had 6 midfielders show their faces at centre bounces. Seems low. Is it low compared to other clubs?

FQF
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Foz wrote:Centre ruck contests - the following players were involved in the following 25 centre bounce contests;

Good stats mate, thanks. Haven't seen them before.

What I find intriguing about that is:

- Hickey was barely in the middle at all.
- We only had 6 midfielders show their faces at centre bounces. Seems low. Is it low compared to other clubs?
Hickey was playing essentially as a full time forward and doing a bit of rucking in the forward line. I think that says more about Longer and how much he's improved in being able to carry to the load on his own.

Seems a very low number of mids rotating. In the future, assuming the same 22, you would hope that Billings, McKenzie, Webster and even Lonie would all be able to rotate through there for short periods.

Foz
Club Player

I compared the Collingwood game to the Essendon game. We spread the load a little more against Bombers. (think we absolutely needed to)..Dunstan was at 48% of centre bounces compared to 37% versus Pies. Sinclair up from 20% to 24% and Schneider 14% to 24%. Jack Steven dropped from 77% in at centre bounces to 64% against Essendon.

Collingwood had similar numbers through the midfield to us - a couple of extra mids for them had single contests. Crisp was 85% which allowed Swan & Pendlebury to be 65% each. Broomhead 45%

Billings has been at one centre bounce in 2 games.

I'm a little surprised that Newnes dosen't get a quick run in the middle, especially with Dmac, Acres and Joey covering on the wing.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I'm a little surprised that Newnes dosen't get a quick run in the middle, especially with Dmac, Acres and Joey covering on the wing.
I thought he was in the middle a fair bit against GWS but failed to impress. In fact, stats suggest maybe he played inside against GWS and Carlton but outside for the other three games:

R1 v GWS: 14 disposals, 9 contested poss, 3 tackles, 4 clearances (inside game)
R2 v GC: 23 disposals, 4 contested poss, 3 tackles, 1 clearance (outside game)
R3 v Pies: 26 disposals, 5 contested poss, 1 tackle, 0 clearances (outside game)
R4 v Blues: 13 disposals, 11 contested poss, 6 tackles, 5 clearances (inside game)
R5 v Ess: 21 disposals, 6 contested poss, 2 tackles, 2 clearances (outside game)

The boy still has plenty of work to do. Seems to be finding it hard to get enough space to use his skills well when he's in the middle.

FQF
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Foz wrote:I'm a little surprised that Newnes dosen't get a quick run in the middle, especially with Dmac, Acres and Joey covering on the wing.
I thought he was in the middle a fair bit against GWS but failed to impress. In fact, stats suggest maybe he played inside against GWS and Carlton but outside for the other three games:

R1 v GWS: 14 disposals, 9 contested poss, 3 tackles, 4 clearances (inside game)
R2 v GC: 23 disposals, 4 contested poss, 3 tackles, 1 clearance (outside game)
R3 v Pies: 26 disposals, 5 contested poss, 1 tackle, 0 clearances (outside game)
R4 v Blues: 13 disposals, 11 contested poss, 6 tackles, 5 clearances (inside game)
R5 v Ess: 21 disposals, 6 contested poss, 2 tackles, 2 clearances (outside game)

The boy still has plenty of work to do. Seems to be finding it hard to get enough space to use his skills well when he's in the middle.
He certainly does. I've seen good signs and he definitely seems to have the fitness to play throughout the season without injury and to a consistent standard. But for me, he needs to step it up a level. Although his numbers are modestly good, he fails to impact games and his disposal is not great.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Anyone who continues to doubt that Jack Billings will be a star is a fair dinkum nuff nuff.
Need a like button. Just for the humour of it. Get ye in the nuff nuff corner.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:I compared the Collingwood game to the Essendon game. We spread the load a little more against Bombers. (think we absolutely needed to)..Dunstan was at 48% of centre bounces compared to 37% versus Pies. Sinclair up from 20% to 24% and Schneider 14% to 24%. Jack Steven dropped from 77% in at centre bounces to 64% against Essendon.

Collingwood had similar numbers through the midfield to us - a couple of extra mids for them had single contests. Crisp was 85% which allowed Swan & Pendlebury to be 65% each. Broomhead 45%

Billings has been at one centre bounce in 2 games.

I'm a little surprised that Newnes dosen't get a quick run in the middle, especially with Dmac, Acres and Joey covering on the wing.

You're a gun with the stats Foz. Where do you get that info?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i dont care about the win or the loss
i care for the effort i saw

f*** the win

lonie
what a little champ this lad is going to turn into

oh boy i cant wait for us to hit our straps in a couple
no way will it be as long as everyone else is saying

couple more picks in teh draft
get sloaney over from the fruit tingles

boom
flags coming

Megamaguire
Club Player

PLAYED LIKE MEN POSSESSED

I was dreading the essendon encounter esp. after the pies & blues defeats.
As I watched the game on tv I became increasingly amazed at the tenacious and sustained display of Saints handball, backing up the player with the ball and often kicking and marking well.
I just didn't see that level of integration and sustained desperation happening pre-game.
The young guys certainly impressed with their Saintly dare & dash.
I was saddened for the young guys in particular) with the final 2 pt. deficit but the flavour of the 4 Qrts. more than made up for the scoreboard. You could see the advantage of experienced plays the bombrs produced finding space and easy targets running in attack. The Saints didn't have that psychological luxury of knowing someone will always be available in space if looked for but were able to exert their own combined style that almost toppled one of the likely top 8 teams.

Reluctant to name individuals as I was so encouraged at the 'team press'. Hadn't seen that for a while.

KEEP UP THE SAINTLY WORK!

GO SAINTS! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.